Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LP: It's Oblivion Baby! Oblivion!

Luzur

Good Sir
As for sucking developer epeen...I think Princess Stomper outdoes them all. Her obsession with Todd and Pete make the at-release worshippers look like casual fans.

yep, noone on ESF can beat her vacuum-mouth when it comes to gobbling Bethesda developer male genitalia.

not even cichiolina got a chance there.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Luzur said:
As for sucking developer epeen...I think Princess Stomper outdoes them all. Her obsession with Todd and Pete make the at-release worshippers look like casual fans.

yep, noone on ESF can beat her vacuum-mouth when it comes to gobbling Bethesda developer male genitalia.

And nobody is quicker than her to close threads just as they are getting interesting...

BTW, regarding magic and combat, they may objectively be better in MW, but personally I found magic and combat more fun and less frustrating in Oblivion, but then my favourite character to play is a sneak/archer type.

DraQ

Arcane
octavius said:
less frustrating
Because they were designed with retards in mind, so they don't require thought or much skill. They are designed so you could mindlessly click away, free of all stress and frustration.

Then again, Diablo is much better for mindlessly clicking away, so, no matter how you look at it, there is little point to OB.

I found devising diverse spells that would ultimately rape my enemies despite the limitations the game forced on my character's arcane powers extremely rewarding, same with the freedom magic bestowed on my character in MW (or DF, for that matter), and thus was horrified by the shallowness of the OBs system, which could only be matched by shallowness of the TESF gene pool.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oblivion ruined the Elder Scrolls by trying to balance stuff.
People wearing clothing and armor with epic enchantments are too powerful?
Let's make it so that they can't wear clothing and armor at the same time. And let's reduce the amount of armor pieces, too, while we're at it.
Alechmy and spellcrafting can be abused? Let's nerf alchemy and spellcrafting, and let's completely remove the ability to enchant items yourself while we're at it.
"Balancing" my ass, moar liek removing features that were fun but unbalanced.

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Oblivion ruined the Elder Scrolls by trying to balance stuff.
People wearing clothing and armor with epic enchantments are too powerful?
Let's make it so that they can't wear clothing and armor at the same time. And let's reduce the amount of armor pieces, too, while we're at it.
Alechmy and spellcrafting can be abused? Let's nerf alchemy and spellcrafting, and let's completely remove the ability to enchant items yourself while we're at it.
"Balancing" my ass, moar liek removing features that were fun but unbalanced.
And it paradoxically led to game being much less balanced.

In MW all schools of magic were very useful and potentially overpowered, all weapon skills gave good reasons for using them, etc.

WalterKinde

Scholar
oldmanpaco Could you list the mods you are using in addition to FCOM.
Also how hard was it to get them all to play nice together?

The Wizard

Educated
oblivions fight system not frustrating? wat? you get staggered all the fucking time, even with agility of 100 and 85 armor rating. especially when fighting against ogres or unarmed minotaurs on higher levels it edges on unbearable, and the kind of punishment those freaks of nature can take is insane. i remember wearing daedric armor(that i found on some lowly bandit, lol was?), goldbrand and having damage reflecting jewlery. still got fucked by an ogre with the difficulty slider only on +50. bullshit, man. i hate this fucking game, i hate it, hate it, hate it!

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
WalterKinde said:
oldmanpaco Could you list the mods you are using in addition to FCOM.
Also how hard was it to get them all to play nice together?

I'm at work but here is what I remember:

DLC: All

Patches: UOP, USIP – MOBS Version, UDLC, DLC - MOBS.

FCOM: OOO, Warcry, Fran’s, MMM

Armor/Weapon Mods: Armamentarium Complete, Loth’s blunt weapons, Bob’s Armory, KD Circlets, Exema Runeskulls, Slofs Robe Trader, Goddess Store, Hero Store (gayest store EVER).

Texture Packs: QTP3: Redimized, One of the LOD rerplacers (can’t remember which).

Bodies: Roberts Male - HGEC EBE Female w/ EVE Armor Conversion

Faces: Younger NPC/ TRN

UI: Darnified UI

Weather/Lighting: Weather: All Natural – This is a combo of 4 lighting/weather mods.

Combat: Deadly Reflexes. There is a cool mode just released in beta called Unnecessary Violence. I was going to go with that but it is very buggy at the moment.

Magic: Supreme Magicka

Cities/Landscapes: Better Cities – All Cities, Unique Landscapes – 13 Areas

XP/Leveling: Can’t recall which one I used.

Others: Cobl, Tamreil Travelers, Harvest Flora, CM Companions, Living Economy, Cute Elves Race, 5 Cute Elf Companions, Ren’s Hair, Montana’s Sexy Companion (the boys are going to love the video of this one), Alternate Start by Ship.

Quests: Gates to Aesgaard, Heart of the Dead, Malevolent, Dungeons of Ivellon, Verona House: Bloodlines, Windfall, the Ayleid Steps, The Lost Spires, Ruined Tale’s Tale, Tears of the fiend: Redemption, Origin of the Mages Guild, Bartholm, Blood & Mud, Daggerfall Memories: The Liberation of Cybiades, Kvatch Rebuilt, Knight of the white Stallion, The Sentient Weapon II, Mighty Umbra, Quest for the Elements, Mysteries of the Dulan Cult, Hand of Dawn, The Naked Nord, Artifacts of the Ancesters, Sonia II, Kendo Girls (classic), Glenvar Castle, The Halls of the Phoenix Order, Eyja.

Utilities: BOSS (load order), WryeBash (list merging), OBMM, Slipstream (FPS Manager), OBSE.

I have more installed but cannot remember which ones. I can post the mod load order if anyone cares.

This was the first time I had ever used mods for Oblivion so I made some stupid mistakes. I think I had to restart three times in all and since it can easily take 4-5 hours to get all these installed that kind of sucked. The correct texture installation order is key. One time COBL screwed everything up after I installed the racial rebanacing part. Also half these mods have compatibility patches so they can work with the other half. Oftertimes there there is more than one patch needed. Foruntently the three bigest projects seem to be FCOM, Better Cities, and Unique Landscapes. Almost everything seems to be able to work with these three through patching. The fun part is that those patches are not always on the same page as the mod at the Nexus. BOSS makes it very easy to place the plugins in the correct order though.

So far the only problem I have is that some of the wolves (Prowler Wolves) are just disembodied purple heads. I think these come from OOO so I need to look for the textures/meshes to make sure they did not get overwritten. I think Travelers might have done some damage when I installed it.

Of course I just got started and have not even hit lvl 2 yet so I'm sure other things will be broken here and there.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Unessicary Violence can be used alongside any other Combat overhaul, as it doesn't change the default system. (I beta tested it a bit and was one of the screenshot artists)

Also, MOBS is integrated into the FCOM, so that's a bit of a redundancy.

Also, you mught want to look in on checking how to clean Origins of the Mages Guild-that's one of Giskard's mods and it caused me no end of grief (Crashing on the second loading, for example)

There was a thread on the BGSF/ESF about mod cleaning, but I have to do my library shift now. I'll check back on it later :p

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Ahzaruuk said:
Unessicary Violence can be used alongside any other Combat overhaul, as it doesn't change the default system. (I beta tested it a bit and was one of the screenshot artists)

Also, MOBS is integrated into the FCOM, so that's a bit of a redundancy.

I didn't use UV because it seemed like there were a bunch of crashes happening. Of course I only went by the thread where everyone went when they did crash. I was planning on adding it when the next version comes out.

The MOBS patch was only for the DLC and UOSI patch. I read somewhere that the DLC needed the patches or they would use the vanilla armor/weapon values. I could be wrong though.

Voodoo Daddy

Novice
The Wizard said:
oblivions fight system not frustrating? wat? you get staggered all the fucking time, even with agility of 100 and 85 armor rating. especially when fighting against ogres or unarmed minotaurs on higher levels it edges on unbearable, and the kind of punishment those freaks of nature can take is insane. i remember wearing daedric armor(that i found on some lowly bandit, lol was?), goldbrand and having damage reflecting jewlery. still got fucked by an ogre with the difficulty slider only on +50. bullshit, man. i hate this fucking game, i hate it, hate it, hate it!

I had the same experience. The difficulty slider only increases HP. Even at normal difficulty, enemies can take such an extreme amount of punishment, it's more about how long you can resist the effects of carpal tunnel than it is about either player skill or character skill. That's their "balance" - HP out the wazoo.

Nice LP, but the characters are truly hideous. You should pick up some better face textures, and maybe that mod that sets everyone's age to minimum.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I had to stop this particular run because of stability issues. Always fun when wolves are disembodied purple floating heads and every lightning like spell crashes the game. Redoing my build and will try again - this time with less mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom