Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An RTS LP?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I've never seen one done before and -- aside from Rome:Total War -- there doesn't appear to be one on the LP archive. Is there something about the genre that makes RTS LPs pure fail? Or has just no one ever tried one? I ask because I'm thinking of doing a Tiberian Sun LP, but if this genre doesn't translate well to screenshots and commentary, then I don't think i want to bother.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
but if this genre doesn't translate well to screenshots and commentary
Actually, this genre translates very well to screens and comments.

When I was doing the K&M LP (dropped) http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=34342 commenting on the strategy and making screens of stuff that was the most important was quite easy.

I say you should give it a try, you can always drop.

lightbane

Arcane
If you do so, I would like you could post a transcript/sinopsis for the videos 'cause these lack subtitles.

Cranioclast

Novice
I believe Jasede also did one for some Warhammer game.

Do the lp of Tiberian Sun and right after do masochistic one for Hooligans.

pipka

Savant
If you could do some mad moves in RTS to show your tactical genius, than the LP would be cool.
But most RTS are either meat vs meat or sitting behind defence line.
Ahh, fuck it! Make AoE2 LP and WOLOLO everything!

Murk

Arcane
It might be somewhat hectic to take screenshots of an RTS, unless you have a timer set up or a video that you then chop up.

Jasede's LP of Dark Omen is beyond awesome though, he did ridiculously well with casualties and as well.

edit: personally, I thnk the c&c games won't be conducive to screen shot based LPs at all, the games are too action packed and reliant on fast tactics and movements when shit gets thick. Dark Omen and other 'squad' based games kind of work due to a lack of micromanagement per unit.

DraQ

Arcane
The smell of death surrounds me! *)

Still, Homeworld 2 would be good if the LP is meant to be lulzy, HW1 or Myth 1-2 if it's not.

All games mentioned support active pause IIRC (HW1 sort of, you can manipulate camera and select units freely, but you have to unpause for a moment to give orders, else the units don't seem to react, it isn't much of a problem, though given the specifics of HW camera), they are also heavily formation and micromanagement based, as well as just plain spectacular, so they should lend extremely well to telling the story with screenshots.

* Due to recent necro, obviously.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Homeworld bitch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom