Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play No Mutants Allowed!

Elzair

Cipher
A while back I posted under an alt: Pipboy4000. I then decided to take my skillz to to other forums such as the Escapist. My last project involved trolling NMA. Here are the results.

First off, they would not except GMail as a valid email address, so I had to use Will Hack For Food, a temporary email address. Next up, they did not like my chosen handle: Pipboy4000, so I had to hack it up to be PIPB0Y4000. Here is my first (and only) topic.

First off, since I just joined, I guess I should introduce myself. Hi.

Now that that is out of the way, I want to discuss the upcoming Fallout Expansion Pack: New Vegas. I am a little worried about it, so since I heard this was a well-known Fallout fan community, I wanted to see what others thought.

What can I say? I love Fallout 3. I think Bethesda did a **** fine job on creating an interesting, cool game world that provides a ton of interesting content. The dungeons were definitely a step up from their previous games Morrowind and Oblivion; heck, the overall game was a step up from the Elder Scrolls series. It was also pretty innovative of them to give unique dialogue options that actually mattered and to make stats and skills useful in conversations. Heck, you could skip half the main quest with a good speech skill. While the ending was quite lame, at least they fixed it in the DLC.

Anyway, I was looking forward to the expansion pack set in Las (er New) Vegas. It is nice to get on the west coast for a change. However, I grew worried when I heard they outsourced it. From what I have heard, Obsidian mostly makes Bioware clones. I am worried that they do not understand the spirit of Fallout. I would have preferred that Bethesda develop it in-house, but what can you do?

I also once heard some old guy refer to the expansion as "New Undermountain." I don't know what he meant by that, but I don't think it is good.

What does NMA think about the new expansion? Will it still be good in spite of these facts?

It seems like only one person bit.

PIPB0Y4000 wrote:
First off, since I just joined, I guess I should introduce myself. Hi.

Oh hi!

Quote:
I want to discuss the upcoming Fallout Expansion Pack: New Vegas.

Fallout: New Vegas is not an expansion pack for Fallout 3. Fallout: New Vegas is an entirely separate game from Fallout 3.

Quote:
What can I say? I love Fallout 3. I think Bethesda did a **** fine job on creating an interesting, cool game world that provides a ton of interesting content.

Everyone has their opinion, please bare in mind that probably 95% of the people here don't share this opinion. Compare to Fallout and Fallout 2, Fallout 3 is pretty bad. But that's my opinion.

Quote:
The dungeons were definitely a step up from their previous games Morrowind and Oblivion; heck, the overall game was a step up from the Elder Scrolls series.

Please bear in mind: Fallout is NOT Elder Scrolls.

Quote:
It was also pretty innovative of them to give unique dialogue options that actually mattered and to make stats and skills useful in conversations.

If you thought that was good, you should try Fallout and Fallout 2. Much more "innovation" in the speech options department. 1000x better than Fallout 3.

Quote:
It is nice to get on the west coast for a change.

Fallout and Fallout 2 both took place on the west coast, as did the original Interplay Fallout 3 (Van Buren).

Quote:
I am worried that [the people at Obsidian] do not understand the spirit of Fallout.

Uhh.... some of the people working at Obsidian on New Vegas are original members of the Fallout/Fallout 2 team. They understand the Fallout universe and its spirit more than the folks at Bethesda.

Quote:
I would have preferred that Bethesda develop it in-house, but what can you do?

That's funny, practically everyone at these forums would have preferred that Interplay kept Fallout and Bethesda have nothing to do with Fallout.

Quote:
I also once heard some old guy refer to the expansion as "New Undermountain." I don't know what he meant by that, but I don't think it is good?

...what?

Quote:
Will it still be good in spite of these facts?

You mean the facts that Bethesda isn't making it and original Fallout team members are? Yes. Well, a good chance of "Yes."

You obviously don't understand that Fallout does not come from the minds at Bethesda. Bethesda had nothing to do with Fallout, the only thing they had to do with Fallout was buying the rights from Interplay and making it into an Elder Scrolls clone. That's it. Fallout is the work of the good people at the now defunct Black Isle Studios, a branch of Interplay. It is they who understand the spirit of Fallout, it is they who made Fallout great. Fallout and Fallout 2 put Bethesda's Fallout 3 to shame.

Go out and buy the Fallout Trilogy, play Fallout and Fallout 2.

Enjoy your stay. (I'm one of the nicer cats here)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Your troll wasn't even good enough to get vatted and/or banned.

That's shootin' pretty low.

Elzair

Cipher
Well, I did not want to insult anyone or anything. Plus, I was trying to be vague enough that they would not be sure whether or not it was a troll.

Elzair

Cipher
I guess I just suck at trolling. I am not sure if that is anything to be ashamed of, though.

Big Nose George

Educated
Dude, thats really lame. Not only did the troll fail but you post about it. Thats like farting really quite and when everybody notices, admitting it was you.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Elzair said:
How could the troll have been better?
If you'd gotten vitriolic responses wishing your parents death and worse because they are responsible for your existence.
As it is, you got some boring responses stating the obvious very matter-of-factly.
No emotions = no successful trolling.

You should try and tell people on a Halo forum that TB is more tactical than RT and that you wish the next Halo would be as good as JA2. After all, RT has been around since Pong. Now finally the tech has evolved enough for TB to take over...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Shannow said:
If you'd gotten vitriolic responses wishing your parents death and worse because they are responsible for your existence.
As it is, you got some boring responses stating the obvious very matter-of-factly.
No emotions = no successful trolling.

NMA really isn't a good target for it anyway. Much like the Codex, we've been overtrolled over the years and have a tendency to just dismiss trolls rather than engage in vitriolic debates. Take Todd Howard's #1 fan, a troll so obvious we don't even bother to give him strikes, as most people just ignore him.

Makes you miss Rosh, doesn't it?

258Troll_spray.jpg

Hory

Erudite
Pipboy4000 was awful here too. Try ITSF. Say something about VD for ensured reaction.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Plus, i think a good chunk of people here would spot you anyways, i know of a few people who post on both forums.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom