Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Got New Vegas a Day Early

Wal-Mart sent me New Vegas earlier today. Played it before class some, going to play it after dinner. Suck it down, fags. :smug:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah huge brag-fail if it's for consoles.
It's like saying:
"Hey guys I got some awesome new wheels today...
a tricycle."

Topher

Cipher
Zed said:
It's like saying:
a tricycle."

Whatever, it's the same game. Does anybody actually expect any difference between the two versions? I mean really, you should know better.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even hope may die

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Bethsoft R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Topher said:
Does anybody actually expect any difference between the two versions?

The controls on the PC aren't retarded, for one. Performance will be better plus the first batch of mods shouldn't take too long to arrive since it should be pretty straightforward to port some of the stuff from FO3, such as a better UI.

And PC version has better graphics! :M

Topher

Cipher
Turisas said:
Topher said:
Does anybody actually expect any difference between the two versions?

The controls on the PC aren't retarded, for one. Performance will be better plus the first batch of mods shouldn't take too long to arrive since it should be pretty straightforward to port some of the stuff from FO3, such as a better UI.

And PC version has better graphics! :M

The controls for the console version for F3 were fine, mods are a plus but I'm looking for impressions of the vanilla game and the only performance benefit of the PC version will probably be better load times which doesn't matter that much to me... also don't be a graphics whore. Sure if I were to buy the game I'd get the PC version but since all I want are some impressions either version will work fine for my purpose.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The analog sticks are terrible for aiming. You get used to them, yeah, but the fact is that they'll never be even close to as precise and smooth as a mouse is. Not that it matters as much for non-FPS games (cue the 'durr hurr but that's what NV is'), but it's still annoying. And from what I've seen from streams and other preview content, the performance on the 360 is far from smooth all the time, so it's just not the loading times.

Topher

Cipher
Turisas said:
The analog sticks are terrible for aiming. You get used to them, yeah, but the fact is that they'll never be even close to as precise and smooth as a mouse is. Not that it matters as much for non-FPS games (cue the 'durr hurr but that's what NV is'), but it's still annoying. And from what I've seen from streams and other preview content, the performance on the 360 is far from smooth all the time, so it's just not the loading times.

It's possible that the performance is worse in NV then it was in Fallout 3 but I played it on my 360 and it was pretty much always smooth and I'm used to console FPS so the aiming doesn't bother me, I played the whole game in VATS anyway.

Stabwound

Arcane
There was a youtube video of the PS3 version of the game. I don't remember where I saw it and it's deleted now, but it was hilarious. It looked like it was about 10fps inside of a house.

bert

Arcane
Topher said:
Whatever, it's the same game. Does anybody actually expect any difference between the two versions? I mean really, you should know better.

Female body & sex mods bro :thumbsup:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Topher said:
Zed said:
It's like saying:
a tricycle."

Someone made a video showing off Fallout NV for the PS3. It ran at 10 FPS or something. I was gonna post the link, but ZeniMax has already managed to remove all evidence. :M

Topher

Cipher
Hobo Elf said:
Topher said:
Zed said:
It's like saying:
a tricycle."

Someone made a video showing off Fallout NV for the PS3. It ran at 10 FPS or something. I was gonna post the link, but ZeniMax has already managed to remove all evidence. :M

I automatically assume all console version are referring to the 360 by default.

It's possible the console versions are poorly optimized but it would really surprise me if it doesn't get patched out almost immediately. Anyway, I still just want to get some impressions on the quest design and general feel of the game. Console framerate issues don't really concern me.

Here's some impressions:

More fun than Fallout 3. Definitely better written, some bad voice acting, but writing is better. More western aesthetics.

Some issues where people run up to you and talk to you randomly giving you information you haven't seen. I was walking up to a town and a guy came out of nowhere to be like "Did you just see that? I had these caps and this bitch wanted them" and there was a second thing involving those caps in the Mojave Outpost.

A few glitches here and there, nothing earth-shattering.

Playing in Hardcore mode. Stimpacks being slow makes combat more difficult, and having limbs broken is a pain in the ass, as it should be, I suppose. Doing food, water, and sleep is very easy to keep up with though. Maybe that's because I'm on normal difficulty, who knows.

Plethora of weapons and things to repair with, so no issues there.

Haven't seen New Vegas yet. Killed the fuck out of Powder Gangers, and fought some Caesar's Legion people and helped NCR a little.

Game definitely has a "do what you want" feel to it. I set out from Goodsprings after doing some intro things and did all kinds of stuff that I wanted. Got into trouble, but managed to survive. Caesar's Legion and the Powder Gangers hate me. Although Caesar's Legion doesn't really attack me on sight, might be glitch or they just happen to not care about me. Until I try to save some people they kidnapped.

I'm level 7 now and barely scratched the surface of the game, but again, been going around and doing what I want.

But there is one problem where people randomly die, like I failed a quest because someone died who I didn't even know was around. He was surrounded by radscorpions and killed as I fought them.

C&C is unknown at this juncture. Though there is the reputation system which has worked with the Powder Gangers hating me, but as said before, some Caesar's Legion people ignore me.

Shooting with iron sights is much better, shooting in general is much better. You still run around like you're floating on air though, no weight to your character. You knock into shit every so often, and when you exit or enter buildings, bodies flop around.

Yes it is the 360 version, baww if you want. Either way, still playing it before you all, and not with a torrent.

So far its grade is a fun out of fun.

bert

Arcane
back to sportforredneck said:
Here's some impressions:

More fun than Fallout 3. Definitely better written, some bad voice acting, but writing is better. More western aesthetics.

Some issues where people run up to you and talk to you randomly giving you information you haven't seen. I was walking up to a town and a guy came out of nowhere to be like "Did you just see that? I had these caps and this bitch wanted them" and there was a second thing involving those caps in the Mojave Outpost.

A few glitches here and there, nothing earth-shattering.

Playing in Hardcore mode. Stimpacks being slow makes combat more difficult, and having limbs broken is a pain in the ass, as it should be, I suppose. Doing food, water, and sleep is very easy to keep up with though. Maybe that's because I'm on normal difficulty, who knows.

Plethora of weapons and things to repair with, so no issues there.

Haven't seen New Vegas yet. Killed the fuck out of Powder Gangers, and fought some Caesar's Legion people and helped NCR a little.

Game definitely has a "do what you want" feel to it. I set out from Goodsprings after doing some intro things and did all kinds of stuff that I wanted. Got into trouble, but managed to survive. Caesar's Legion and the Powder Gangers hate me. Although Caesar's Legion doesn't really attack me on sight, might be glitch or they just happen to not care about me. Until I try to save some people they kidnapped.

I'm level 7 now and barely scratched the surface of the game, but again, been going around and doing what I want.

But there is one problem where people randomly die, like I failed a quest because someone died who I didn't even know was around. He was surrounded by radscorpions and killed as I fought them.

C&C is unknown at this juncture. Though there is the reputation system which has worked with the Powder Gangers hating me, but as said before, some Caesar's Legion people ignore me.

Shooting with iron sights is much better, shooting in general is much better. You still run around like you're floating on air though, no weight to your character. You knock into shit every so often, and when you exit or enter buildings, bodies flop around.

Yes it is the 360 version, baww if you want. Either way, still playing it before you all, and not with a torrent.

So far its grade is a fun out of fun.

How is the level scaling in this game? Is there a lot less emphasis on firearms, and more on melee combat? Overpowered loot in the first twenty minutes of the game? How scarce are weapons and ammo?

And how much of Fallout 1 or 2's music is in the game? Did they replace all of the orchestra shit?

Silellak

Cipher
Some issues
A few glitches here and there
might be glitch
there is one problem
Sounds like an Obsidian game to me. :smug:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Thanks for the impressions, bro.
:bro:

Achilles

Arcane

[Perception] 360 owners can appear juvenile and immature at times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom