Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wow, the gaming media really ignores the little guy...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was surfing the Larian Studios forum recently for news about the new Divinity 2 expansion and found this post by the owner of Larian, "Lar_q":

Thank you for the nice words - you're right that we underinvested in PR, but to be honest, we're having a lot of trouble grabbing the attention of the larger media outlets as we're not supported by a major publisher.

I once flew to the US from Europe to do five presentations at 5 of the very large outlets - two of them had the decency to listen to my story but didn't publish anything, another one put me in front of an intern who wrote a piece which was so badly written and had nothing to do with what I showed him that it hurt, another shortened the meeting to 15 minutes after he figured out it wasn't a major publisher behind it and yet another cancelled just like that. If memory serves me right, out of that entire trip came the badly written preview, and nothing else whereas clearly certain games get plenty of coverage just to mention who the voice actors are going to be ;)

That's depressing. I mean, it's common sense that the gaming media would have more interest in "AAA" games, but actively ignoring and disrespecting developers? Not just indie developers, but indies that have had some decent success before? Ugh.

Phelot

Arcane
Their game isn't that good, but it certainly is better then a lot of the shit that makes Top 10 lists, so yeah I'm sure there is some bias which is shocking since the game is about as polished or more so then most of the new shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Freelance Henchman said:
How is this game?

I liked Divinity 2. It's no Gothic 2 or Morrowind, certainly, but it was a good RPG. The bulk of complaints against it were that it was too hard because you could go into areas way above your level, if that tells you anything.

Raapys

Arcane
DalekFlay said:
Freelance Henchman said:
How is this game?

I liked Divinity 2. It's no Gothic 2 or Morrowind, certainly, but it was a good RPG. The bulk of complaints against it were that it was too hard because you could go into areas way above your level, if that tells you anything.
Strictly speaking, most of the complaints were directed towards the crappy dragon-form part of the game and the ridiculous level scaling which artificially made you do less damage vs higher lvl enemies while also receiving more damage.

Disgusting treatment. But we cannot expect more from scum that actually thinks it deserves to hold the sway it does and even believe it wields it with integrity, no less.

These people actually think they are contributing to the gaming industry as news agencies. It is mind boggling

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Raapys said:
Strictly speaking, most of the complaints were directed towards the crappy dragon-form part of the game and the ridiculous level scaling which artificially made you do less damage vs higher lvl enemies while also receiving more damage.

The dragon form was wonky, yes. The expansion supposedly fixes a lot of that though, but I haven't played it yet.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
phelot said:
Their game isn't that good, but it certainly is better then a lot of the shit that makes Top 10 lists, so yeah I'm sure there is some bias which is shocking since the game is about as polished or more so then most of the new shit.

I beat it twice and will probably go for a third as an archer sometime this week. "polished" is not a word I would use to describe it. Especially since they just released another version of the game that's supposed to be optimized well like the original should've been. Divinity 2 is Dungeon Lords 1.2 :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
I'd class it as a H'n'S++, rather than proper RPG. It has a lot of proper RPG elements, but somehow doesn't click. Nevertheless I had tons of fun with this game and will buy DKS at the earliest opportunity.

Raapys said:
ridiculous level scaling which artificially made you do less damage vs higher lvl enemies while also receiving more damage.
facepalm.jpg

It's the exact opposite of level scaling.
Learn the meaning of the buzzwords you use, moran.
:decline:

bonescraper

Freelance Henchman said:
How is this game?
It's good. I'd pick it over Ass Effect and Dragon Turd anyday. It's not your epic Baldur's Gate kind of game, but it's fun. It has really nice graphics (for a Gamebryo engine), decent story and writing, good voice acting and some pretty interesting features like mind reading or your own undead frankenstein kind of pet. The combat feels like it's some kind of hack 'n' slash and mmo hybrid. So, if you don't mind a well crafted, fun ARPG with plenty of content, this game is for you.

Raapys

Arcane
DraQ said:
O rly? Your damage and damage you receive scale with the difference in level between you and your enemy. Thus, level-scaling. Moran.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Raapys said:
DraQ said:
O rly? Your damage and damage you receive scale with the difference in level between you and your enemy. Thus, level-scaling. Moran.

The term level-scaling is typically used for when a game picks what monsters you fight and what level they are based on your level. If you go into Dungeon X at level 1 you fight goblins with daggers, but if you go in at level 20 you fight Ogres with axes, etc. etc..

Divinity 2 does NOT do that, which is a good thing.

Raapys

Arcane
DalekFlay said:
The term level-scaling is typically used for when a game picks what monsters you fight and what level they are based on your level.
Typically. And there are different types of level-scaling, and I specifically said which type this game has. So...?

made

Arcane
Codex isn't any different. Just look at the number of NV threads we get compared to low profile games like Div2.

Sisay

Liturgist
The leveling system is designed like a single player MMO. Just doesn't work for this type of game, they should've copied Gothic in this aspect as well. Overall it's not a really bad game but not particularly great either. I enjoyed the original game more, to be honest, even with the silly title and terrible voice acting.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Raapys said:
DraQ said:
Still, it's logical. More experienced/better trained fighters are better at minimising damage when hit and better at delivering damaging hits at opponents. Unless higher level also have much more HP which would make the whole mechanic retarded and redundant.

Raapys

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Still, it's logical. More experienced/better trained fighters are better at minimising damage when hit and better at delivering damaging hits at opponents. Unless higher level also have much more HP which would make the whole mechanic retarded and redundant.
That's sort of the problem though. At equal level with the player, higher level enemies have more hitpoints and do more damage than an equal lower-level enemy. So the level-scaled damage is really just a way of artificially ensuring players are of a certain level before venturing into a certain area. MMORPGs use this all the time.

A system like that, if needed at all, should obviously be based on the character's fighting skills, not level. It's not quite as bad as putting up a locked door marked 'Level20+ only', but it's close.

Zomg

Arbiter
Overweight Manatee said:
TL;DR the job of the media isn't to show off games, it's to sell advertising.

It's actually to be advertising.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom