Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Yahtzee does New Vegas

CrimHead

Scholar
Was that a review?

Miew

Novice
CreamySpinach said:
Miew said:
I sometimes like Yahtzees reviews for pointing out some of the things that are obviously wrong with some games that are overly praised by all other reviewers. Sometimes I think he does have a point.
But in the NV review he didn't. Really didn't say much about the game at all...

As far as I know Zero Punctuation is the most popular feature on the escapist, and Yahtzee is expected to "rip any game to shreds". Since he's responsible for a lot of the traffic the escapist gets and people now expect him to talk about NV as well, I guess that puts a lot of pressure on him.

I feel like Zero punctuation would be a lot better if it was just some show on youtube with a new episode once a month, when there's really something worth saying.

What the fuck. Are you Zero Punctuation trying to convince us to feel sorry for you? The fuck.

I was just trying to come up with a reason for why it is the way it is.

Reading articles on the escapist I get the same feeling I described above a lot. I like the premise of a magazine that looks beyond reviews and news and tries to come up with some other topics related to gaming and/or entertainment, but it seems they're too hard pressed to come up with new articles every week to satisfy their leadership, so a lot of the stuff on there feels pretty uninspired and forced. Much like this review of Zero Punctuation.

Of course if you just want to say "it's fucking retarded shit" instead, that's fine as well. Not trying to make you "feel sorry" or anything. :shock:

kris

Arcane
He is correct on griping on Soda making you dehydrated. That is just wrong, wine and beer also don't make you dehydrated.

kris said:
He is correct on griping on Soda making you dehydrated. That is just wrong, wine and beer also don't make you dehydrated.
It's a dehydration not thirst based system in NV. Caffeine and alcohol are well known dehydrators, Alexander the Great lost a great portion of his force when they ran out of water and cracked open the wine caskets. You're better off with thirst than slaking it if you wish to survive longer in a hot environment.

StrangeCase

Educated
He doesn't really do reviews, not anymore. They're more like... vignettes. It's entertaining if you like that sort of thing, but not especially informative. He's been at this for a few years now, so it's pretty formulaic by now.

I like to watch his stuff occasionally, just because the vitriol is a change of pace from the cum-guzzling of most gaming media. He's become predictable, though, and the Codex is even more hostile, which gets a big :love: from me.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow. Every time I pointed out on the Codex that Yanthzee is a fool I was called an idiot and now after New Vegas Yanthzee is a bad bad reviewer?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sceptic said:
I'll never understand what people like about him. Same for his games. They're alright (actually, 5 days and 7 days are alright; never played the others), but to hear the fanboys they're the best adventure games evar.

5 Days is a good gothic horror game, 7 Days is not-so-good sci-fi horror game. Trilby's Notes (the third game in the series) is tedious and full of cut-scenes but by far the creepiest game of them all. 6 Days feels like a Hollywood producer got involved in the writing.

1213 is an short and unrelated (storywise) Flashback clone that has a quite decent story.

I wouldn't call his games the best adventure games ever, but for what basically amounts to a series of 1-man projects, he's done a pretty good job with them.

nFn

Educated
Satori said:
kris said:
It's a dehydration not thirst based system in NV. Caffeine and alcohol are well known dehydrators, Alexander the Great lost a great portion of his force when they ran out of water and cracked open the wine caskets. You're better off with thirst than slaking it if you wish to survive longer in a hot environment.

Tried googling and and couldnt find a definite answer
lots of butthurted healthfreaks arguing both ways

So Soda hydrating/dehydrating? which is better and why? discuss.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
kris said:

Actually, alcohol does make you dehydrated.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol#Dehydration or http://www.symptomsofdehydration.com/alcohol-dehydration.htm or, for that mattter, google "alcohol dehydration" http://www.google.com/search?q=alcohol+dehydration. The more alcohol you have in a beverage, the more dehydration you get. Beverages with low alcohol content, like lighter beer or wine with low alcohol content, might not have enough alcohol to outweigh the effect of the amount of water you ingest by drinking them. Nevertheless, that doesn't hold true for beverages with higher alcohol content.

...As for soda... it really depends on what's in that particular type of soda. For example, sugar and caffeine are diuretics, which can cause dehydration depending on how much sugar and/or caffeine is in that soda.

Now, from F:NV's point of view, they probably just took the cliffnotes and said "Anything with alcohol => dehydration. Oh, we heard that soda might make you dehydrated too in some circumstances. All right then: soda => dehydration."

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My favorite Yahtzee facts are that he dislikes "silly" turn-based combat and he stopped playing Torment before he left the "first world" because it was boring and had too much text.

And is it just me or does it seem like people who liked Alpha Protocol are actually more likely to dislike New Vegas?

Oh and Nuka Cola/Sunset Sarsaparilla aren't real sodas and have a lot of crazy stuff in them. In the Fallout universe, they dehydrate you. Next you'll be complaining about how radiation works.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Well he does have a point about +H20, +FOOD going against typical rpg conventions, it confused some people even on this board.

Small potatoes anyway, wasn't an amusing review as it didn't sound like he played for more than a couple of hours. On par with most mainstream reviews that only mention bugs and/or graphics as nobody will dispute that and it's easier than actually playing the whole game and being able to see what's wrong with the content on a broader level.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Metro said:
Only 'reviewer' I've seen that does a pretty solid job of explaining the strengths and weaknesses of games is a dude on youtube that goes by 'antisocialfatman.' Unfortunately his reviews are fairly sporadic as he's not professional and isn't comped games.

Yeah, I've been subscribed to his channel for a while, he's quite good - puts most of the so called professionals to shame :thumbsup:

Shannow

Waster of Time
hoochimama said:
Well he does have a point about +H20, +FOOD going against typical rpg conventions, it confused some people even on this board.
Certainly has you confused. Oh, and please point out all those well known RPGs that created the typical convention against which "+H2O means you increase your dehydration meter" goes.

Does that mean retards cannot into NV hardcore mode?

Chuftie

Augur
Yahtzee needs to decide on whether he's going to do serious reviews or just rant on bullshit. His videos of late have been a half-assed mix of both, well more so than the older videos

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom