Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Ruprekt

Scholar
Freelance Henchman said:
Was Veronica seriously lesbian? I played through her whole personal mission and I can't even remember her mentioning her preference in one way or the other.

My character raeped it out of her. At least that's the way i larped it.

RatFink

Educated
Freelance Henchman said:
Was Veronica seriously lesbian? I played through her whole personal mission and I can't even remember her mentioning her preference in one way or the other.

referred to a lost love with "her"

Ruprekt

Scholar
Felix said:
when the bomber flew across hoover dam I thought: "WTF is this WWII bullshit?"

220px-YB-52sideview.jpg

This is still the US Airforce heavy bomber.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Freelance Henchman said:
Oh right, remember now. Huh, two gay companions. Fancy that.

Enclave, brotherhood, gay, lesbian, interchangeable.

I find it funny how Gaider tries his best to make an overtly gay and sexually aggressive character(zevran) still be likeable to a mostly heterosexual and homophobic audience yet MCA gets praised by a homosexual blogger for characterizing a companion as gay with a couple of low key dialogue lines that could have just as easily been applied to other characters or not been there at all.

Project: Eternity
That's sort of his point though, Arcade (and Veronica) aren't mincing about crowing about their gayety at every opportunity, much like (I suppose) real gay people (mostly) don't do that in real life either.

hoochimama

Liturgist
And my point is that if we were talking about characters in a modern world romantic comedy showing that someone is gay in a very low key way and making it trivial is what you'd expect, as seeing it overtly done would be a throwback to previous decades.

However we're talking about videogame characters in a pastiche post apocalyptic setting where companions range from schizophrenic supermutants to robotic swap-a-brain dogs, giving a character a sexuality through a couple of dialog lines is the kind of easy swappable characterization BIO used to do with their gay characters in games like Jade Empire or ME, I'm not saying I'm against it or that it's poorly done, but I don't find it's a big deal, certainly not worthy of being called the greatest gay character ever made in a videogame.

The greatest gay character in a videogame should be the best character who is homosexual, not just the character who showcases homosexuality in the way you want it to be seen.

Elwro said:
BTW, if (like me) you have to play in windowed mode for the game not to crash, I can recommend using this so that the game actually plays full screen... well, look for yourself.

:love:

I play all my games in windowed mode just so I can task switch. Fullscreen Windowed mode is quite possibly the best (only?) feature modern games have started adding that really improves the game for me.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
hoochimama said:
And my point is that if we were talking about characters in a modern world romantic comedy showing that someone is gay in a very low key way and making it trivial is what you'd expect, as seeing it overtly done would be a throwback to previous decades.

However we're talking about videogame characters in a pastiche post apocalyptic setting where companions range from schizophrenic supermutants to robotic swap-a-brain dogs, giving a character a sexuality through a couple of dialog lines is the kind of easy swappable characterization BIO used to do with their gay characters in games like Jade Empire or ME, I'm not saying I'm against it or that it's poorly done, but I don't find it's a big deal, certainly not worthy of being called the greatest gay character ever made in a videogame.

The greatest gay character in a videogame should be the best character who is homosexual, not just the character who showcases homosexuality in the way you want it to be seen.

Why are you making such a big deal about him being a homosexual? The character himself didn't do that, just some blogger, and I think it is kind of justified, since many homosexual characters in mainstream media either makes a huge deal out of it, or his homosexuality is used as comic relief. I think the point of the blogger is that if you make a homosexual character in a video game, please avoid the stupid cliché that the main part of a homosexual characters personality would be their sexuality. That's not how people work, hetero or homo.

Also, Sawyer wrote Arcade Gannon, not MCA.

hoochimama

Liturgist
The only one making a big deal about the character's sexuality is the article's author, he even jokes about making a big deal out of it.

I disagree with his opinion that Arcade is a great character with an original portrayal of homosexuality in a videogame.

I also said that the guy somehow missed the lesbian counterpart to Arcade Gannon who ticked the same boxes in the very same game all the while saying that because of the unique low-key way Arcade portrays his homosexuality he is the best gay videogame character made.

That's what ticks me, I get the impression that he considers him the best not because the character itself is so great but because the way he portrays homosexuality appeals to Jim Sterling's pc sensibilities and because that is how he wants others to see homosexuality portrayed, independently of setting/world coherence. (not that it didn't fit in fo2 on steroids where anything goes)

And what he's referring to is just a couple of lines where you could switch "man" for "woman" give him a different haircut and glasses, bammo straighto, same as Veronica, same as bioware sexuality-swapable companions.

You don't choose the best straight videogame character based on how it portrays heterosexuality (unless it's the Duke), and I don't see why making it casual is inherently better than being flamboyant or secretive about it unless you're thinking about the image the game sends about homosexuality instead of the merits of the character itself.

Third post in a row where I'm repeating myself so I'll just quit.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I see your point, but you are missing the big point that homosexual characters in mainstream media almost never get a fair representation of their sexuality. Instead they get shit like Zevran, who feels the need to throw his sexuality in your face every other sentence. There is a big difference in how hetero- and homosexuality has been portrayed in mainstream media. I don't really think a characters merits should be measured by how his sexuality is portrayed either, but in this case, it is very refreshing to see that the writers have avoided the usual clichés. And perhaps the blogger dude should have limited himself to that, i.e. saying that it's the most fair portrayal of a homosexual individual in a video game ever.

Other than that, I think Arcade Gannon is a pretty good character without mixing his sexuality into it. Nothing revolutionary but he's well written and interesting at least.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"That's not how people work, hetero or homo."

O RLY?

I dunno about that for most people as for most people (except weirdos), sex is pretty much the goal.

Stereotypically, Guys use power to get the sex, and women use sex to gain the power. True story, bro.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Volourn said:

O RLY?

I dunno about that for most people as for most people (except weirdos), sex is pretty much the goal.

Stereotypically, Guys use power to get the sex, and women use sex to gain the power. True story, bro.

beta male butthurt detected

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Volourn said:

O RLY?

If it's a sitcom paradigm it must be true.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Lockkaliber said:
I see your point, but you are missing the big point that homosexual characters in mainstream media almost never get a fair representation of their sexuality.

I don't think we're at the point where there's a fair representation of heterosexuality in rpgs to begin with though, much less homosexuality. When the former's absent it probably makes the latter stand out more.

I wouldn't call rpgs mainstream media however, I think I see fair representations of it in romantic comedies or intimist movies. Wouldn't expect to see it in action movies.

Lockkaliber said:
Instead they get shit like Zevran, who feels the need to throw his sexuality in your face every other sentence.

Well I liked Zevran in spite of it and I find that a lot harder to pull off than casual acceptance, to me the cliché is a fairly standard character who has a couple of out of character lines when you express romantic interest in them at a pre-set stage during the main quest and these lines are the same whether you're male or female. Cheap, easy and it pleases the bioware fangirls.

Lockkaliber said:
And perhaps the blogger dude should have limited himself to that, i.e. saying that it's the most fair portrayal of a homosexual individual in a video game ever.

But if you find that there's another videogame character who does the same thing in the very same game he's talking about and he doesn't even know about her it makes him and the statement look poorly informed.

Topher

Cipher
Havoc said:
Alexandros said:
What's the point of attempting a "kill everybody" playthrough? Don't you get enough of that from the gazillion of shooters out there?

To see if the game can be completed, if I kill every named NPC.

It can be.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh... I found something. I remember a discussion about this, but no conclusion.
James Marsden isn't the voiceactor for Boone, James is. The Myron guy. It's a typo in the credits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom