Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Yahtzee does New Vegas

Zomg

Arbiter
Jim Cojones said:
CrimHead said:
Was that a review?
Not really, just like all his videos, it was a rant.

No, it really wasn't even a rant. It was, "Here's stuff I did for a few hours of playtime, structured like a straight narrative. Video over." Shit like the +/- thing is obviously just a silly gripe he could make an easy joke about - he's noted things like that in videos for many other games, except he'd also have some real criticism too. I didn't get any impression he had anything to say or even an opinion about the game, he just no-efforted the fuck out of it.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Zomg said:
I didn't get any impression he had anything to say or even an opinion about the game, he just no-efforted the fuck out of it.

I had the same impression.

Stop caring about Yahtzee's opinion on RPG game. It's not a new fact guy cannot into this genre. Hell, he probably only did this rant because New Vegas is a very popular new release and he was asked to by Escapist. Bigger site traffic and all that.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Shannow said:
hoochimama said:
Well he does have a point about +H20, +FOOD going against typical rpg conventions, it confused some people even on this board.
Certainly has you confused.

Considering the H2O and FOOD meters work the same way feel free to explain where I'm confused as I'm not fluent in your native dumbfuckish.

Shannow said:
Oh, and please point out all those well known RPGs that created the typical convention against which "+H2O means you increase your dehydration meter" goes.

The convention is that a bigger number of a good thing = better, people expected the H2O and FOOD labels to be good things, so they expected more H2O and more FOOD from items to be good, otherwise you get these situations: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... 10#1369710

Shannow said:
Does that mean retards cannot into NV hardcore mode?

Hardcore mode, just like the game's overall difficulty even on very hard, no companions, crippled combat skills and not selling items, is still a joke, you shit-flinging pussy.

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... 80#1385380

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Unkillable Cat said:
for what basically amounts to a series of 1-man projects, he's done a pretty good job with them.
Meh, for one-man projects I'd take Adam Cadre any day. His games aren't "a pretty good job", they're fucking awesome and his writing is brilliant in parts.

Anyway thanks for the quick recaps, since 5 days is the best I think I'll stay away from the others.

hoochimama said:
The convention is that a bigger number of a good thing = better, people expected the H2O and FOOD labels to be good things, so they expected more H2O and more FOOD from items to be good, otherwise you get these situations:

tbh, while I get where you're coming from (I'd have used "thirst" and "hunger"), if you've been walking for a couple minutes and the "H2O"/"FOOD" meters were going UP, any child could easily understand the implications.

Unless you're playing as Harold and are under constant effect of photosynthesis

hoochimama

Liturgist
Keep in mind most players won't bother checking STATS submenus and will only realize they need to drink eat or sleep when they get the pop-up, they won't see the meter's progression nor values for these statistics.

Add to that the thirst/dehydration distinction and you've got some people gulping down nuka colas when they need H2O and therefore finding that the hardcore mode requires them to drink from irradiated sources.

I'm sure they were a bit hesitant when designing this part but it's such a little thing to complain about compared to the overall game.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Drink Nuka Cola in a fucking desert! Yea... that sugar water will help you. NOT.

Monkeysphere

Novice
BAWWW.jpg

itt

also, lol at u ppl who take Yahtzee seriously , guess fanbois are too butthurt to realise its all for lulz

Eyeball

Arcane
Yahtzee's actually one of the better reviewers out there due to his habit of calling stupid dogshit games like Smash Brothers Brawl what they are: Stupid dogshit games. Furthermore, he deserves credit for liking Psychonauts, which is a mark of the true conneiseur.

He is also pretty consistent in being funny, although he seems to be slacking off as of late - this video was an especially poor example, as the only real thing NV added to the FO3 base engine was an upgrade in writing quality, yet he keeps going on about how he found the "hardcore" mode uninspired and essentially doing a boring LP video.

PS: Play his games. They're pretty much all good.

Eyeball said:
Yahtzee's actually one of the better reviewers out there

No he isn't - he's not a reviewer AT ALL. He takes random things from games and works them into a weekly gag collection. Sometimes he is spot on, other times he fails. That's about it. That makes him a video game comedian. The thing you like about him is that he is not an advertiser, like a lot of other "reviewers". Doesn't have anything to do with his reviewing skills.

Vibalist

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
Metro said:
Only 'reviewer' I've seen that does a pretty solid job of explaining the strengths and weaknesses of games is a dude on youtube that goes by 'antisocialfatman.' Unfortunately his reviews are fairly sporadic as he's not professional and isn't comped games.

Yeah, I've been subscribed to his channel for a while, he's quite good - puts most of the so called professionals to shame :thumbsup:

Thirded. I've been subscribing ever since I saw his Bloodlines review and thought that he was the first reviewer who actually gave an adequate and detailed description of the game's strengths and weaknesses.

He really knows who to do reviews that focuses on all the stuff you want to know about a game, rather than all the stupid fluff most mainstream reviewers talk about.

Oh, and he dislikes Oblivion and Prince of Persia 2008. Big up.

Eyeball

Arcane
Depends on just how faggy you want to become with your definition of "reviewer." Yahtzee plays a game, gives you his thoughts about the game in the concept of his previous experiences and makes it into a video. He gets paid surprisingly large amounts of money for this. I'd say, yes, he's a reviewer, although the distinction is purely semantic.

Shannow

Waster of Time
hoochimama said:
Shannow said:
hoochimama said:
Well he does have a point about +H20, +FOOD going against typical rpg conventions, it confused some people even on this board.

Considering the H2O and FOOD meters work the same way feel free to explain where I'm confused as I'm not fluent in your native dumbfuckish.

Shannow said:
Oh, and please point out all those well known RPGs that created the typical convention against which "+H2O means you increase your dehydration meter" goes.

The convention is that a bigger number of a good thing = better, people expected the H2O and FOOD labels to be good things, so they expected more H2O and more FOOD from items to be good, otherwise you get these situations: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... 10#1369710

Shannow said:

Hardcore mode, just like the game's overall difficulty even on very hard, no companions, crippled combat skills and not selling items, is still a joke, you shit-flinging pussy.

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... 80#1385380
My, my, forgot to take our meds today,did we. Well, throw in your pills, go into the game and look for those +food items that have you so confused. Come back and we can talk about it. Well, I'll talk you'll froth and piss yourself from shame. But hey, at least your strawmen show that there must be "some" brain-activity going on up there... Guess retards can into strawmen if not into NV hardcore mode :smug:

Drakron

Arcane
Yahtzee is amusing when he finds things to rip apart in games but when he likes the game or cannot find some flaw he can use ... it ends up being flat.

This is not the first review that I think he is just going to the motions but never hits his stride.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Shannow said:
My, my, forgot to take our meds today,did we. Well, throw in your pills, go into the game and look for those +food items that have you so confused. Come back and we can talk about it. Well, I'll talk you'll froth and piss yourself from shame. But hey, at least your strawmen show that there must be "some" brain-activity going on up there... Guess retards can into strawmen if not into NV hardcore mode :smug:

And where do I say that there are +FOOD items in the game? I'd expect +Luck items to be good, doesn't mean there are any.

Talk about a strawman, I'd chalk it up to trolling but it's just too stupid, textbook dumbfuckery.

Murk

Arcane
I apparently missed out on much of the info pertaining to New Vegas because... well, I was fucking avoiding it, but is this whole "legs blown off" thing true? Or is that just a joke? I know you can get crippled but is it that consequential or is it just a -x to whatever stats/skills?

hoochimama

Liturgist
He meant it as a joke, on top of -x to stats/skills it also has specific animations, lowered speed, wobbly aiming, blurry vision and ringing in your ears.

Murk

Arcane
That's... that's actually pretty decent.

But I have spent so long hating, can I truly learn to love again?

Unwanted

Scream Phoenix

Unwanted
I one of his videos, Yahtzee said Bioware games have excellent writing. Mass Effect 2 it was I think?

So yeah.

Relay

Educated
I have nothing against the thought of an actual hardcore mode that only makes combat harder, like making steampacks heal over time instead of instantly and without healing crippled limbs. But having to eat, drink and sleep ? This is the Sims. You want your character to drink, eat and sleep, GO FUCKING PLAY THE SIMS like all the over 50 moms do.

Black

Arcane
The problem with the combat when you fucking want to combine rpg and fps, is that it can be very uneven.
In NV I've never had a fight that was even or I barely won. And hardcore mode has nothing to do with it.
It's either steamroll your opponents or they steamroll you.

Shannow

Waster of Time
hoochimama said:
Shannow said:

And where do I say that there are +FOOD items in the game?

Talk about a strawman, I'd chalk it up to trolling but it's just too stupid, textbook dumbfuckery.
You must seriously like being humiliated and thus I've decided to do you the favour. I'll revisit your moronity and pick it apart:
hoochimama said:
Shannow said:
hoochimama said:

The H2O and FOOD meters work the same way as what? As each other? What relevance does that have to anything? I'd love to explain where you are confused if I knew what the fucking Hell, you're jabbering on about.To quote a moron:"I'm not fluent in your native dumbfuckish".

Shannow said:

The convention is that a bigger number of a good thing = better, people expected the H2O and FOOD labels to be good things, so they expected more H2O and more FOOD from items to be good
So, to get this straight: required food and drink are quite rare RPG features. Thus they do not have any "convention". To make up for your lack of argument you bring: "huur, durr, bigger numericals always better. It's a New Jersey thing RPG convention."
This of course has "some" merit. Only niche rule systems like 2nd edition D&D use negative numericals for positve effects. Don't feel bad not knowing about it. The last game that used 2nd ed was released before you stopped wetting your bed. You have stopped wetting your bed, right?

Shannow said:

Now lets burn this strawman. You and other retards are confused that +H2O/Rads increases your H2O/Rads meter and -H2O/Rads/Food decreases your H2O/Rads/Food meter. Obviously you are too stupid to understand simple addition and substraction and thus are confused by NV's hardcore mode, colloquially expressed by "Does that mean retards cannot into NV hardcore mode?". Nowhere did I state that said mode is in any way "difficult".

Tell your parents to make sure that you've taken your ritalin before they let you post on the internet. And instead of playing games like NV you should do us all a favour and play in traffic, just sayin'...

Needles

Scholar
CreamySpinach said:
Ok I promise I won't post this again. I just need verification if it sums up our Fallout 3 to New Vegas Transition feelings.
0001tv.png

This represents some genuine :incline:

1. Post on TES forums

2. Witness shitstorm

2. ?????
3: :M :M :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom