Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I made it to the Sky Dungeon....

hoochimama

Liturgist
Are you referring to the same one? People complain about it in the version that didn't have a sky dungeon.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Felix said:
Secretninja said:
If you made it through the water dungeon without pulling your hair out you should be able to finish relatively quickly.

I don't get people complain about water temple, it's easy even though the backtracking when I missed something kind of made me rage.
But have you finished Earth Castle and Fire Mountain?
Also have you been in the Good Ol' City and Evil Dark Village? :M

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Felix said:
Secretninja said:
If you made it through the water dungeon without pulling your hair out you should be able to finish relatively quickly.

I don't get people complain about water temple, it's easy even though the backtracking when I missed something kind of made me rage.
The tight corridors/narrow causeways combined with those damned Slith always frustrated me, even on the 30th play-through.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Stinger all the way, baby.

Also
209rm8l.jpg

hoochimama

Liturgist
For the op's original question: a bit, still got at least 2 more dungeons left.

DraQ

Arcane
Fowyr said:
Stinger all the way, baby.

I never liked it as a weapon, mainly because later in game it's superseded by minigun and flak in all it does. Still it works wonders against slith and I generally use it against titans, because it always has a lot of ammo I don't really need.

As for the pic, it's not Nali water goddess, it's Vandora, their goddess of lightning. I request, no, demand 1000KKKs.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
DraQ said:
As for the pic, it's not Nali water goddess, it's Vandora, their goddess of lightning. I request, no, demand 1000KKKs.
Right answer.
*DraQ gains 850 KKK*
because she is Vendora :M

Angthoron

Arcane
DraQ said:
Fowyr said:
Skaarj scout to be precise :M

Or not?
In the corridor? Yes.
In poocolator's post? No.

Fuck, Skaarj were cool.
Mere thought about what Legend did to them in Unreal 2 makes me all :x .

The way pretty much all of the Unreal bestiary was ruined in Unreal 2 is amazing. The Skaarj were supposed to be nimble, intelligent hunters, instead they're turned into a bunch of retarded brutes overloaded with armour - what the hell? The Krall were treated slightly better, but even then they were a good cause for rage.

Not to mention the game itself sucked in just about every way - the "storyline shooter" they tried to go for there fell flat on its face and crushed all the things that original Unreal had going for it - like the approach to piecing the story together, the great level design and the awesome monsters and music.

:x

Edit: Return to Na Pali sort of showed promises of suck already, when the marines turned out to look like shit. Wtf, three and a half new monster models and all look worse than anything out of the original.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Angthoron said:
Edit: Return to Na Pali sort of showed promises of suck already, when the marines turned out to look like shit. Wtf, three and a half new monster models and all look worse than anything out of the original.
The only memorable moment in the Return to Na Pali was when you battle with two stone titans. Watcher of the Skies?

Angthoron

Arcane
Fowyr said:
Angthoron said:
The only memorable moment in the Return to Na Pali was when you battle with two stone titans. Watcher of the Skies?

I used to amuse myself by Ghosting up to the skybox and spawning a titan or two, then dropping Skaarj on their heads (Once they get damaged by a Skaarj or a Krall, they flag hostile to them), land, and run around trying to survive in a pretty insane free-for-all. Titans are always awesome. The encounter you're talking about is those titans near a tiny village/camp? Or am I mixing things already?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Angthoron said:
The encounter you're talking about is those titans near a tiny village/camp? Or am I mixing things already?
I don't remember village, but it don't talks much, my memories of RtNP very cloudy. Level starts with you riding the elevator and then you appear on the snow peak with two titans and several mercenaries

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
When the fuck did this thread become about Unreal? that'll teach me to skip over threads just because the first few posts are derp lulz.

DraQ said:
:what:

What the fuck is this abomination?

If I hadn't already decided not to touch Unreal 2 with a 10 foot pole this would've sealed it.

Why, Legend, WHY? You used to be cool! You used to be GREAT. WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Sceptic said:
When the fuck did this thread become about Unreal? that'll teach me to skip over threads just because the first few posts are derp lulz.
This is why I so like Codex. Like in times of fidonet.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:

Void Entropy:

When in effect, topic thermodynamics (the law requiring the entropy of any topic discussed on the internet to never decrease, and the discussion to deteriorate) is suspended in the targeted thread for the duration of the spell.

Some outer realms, such as RPGCodex may have this as an immutable part of their physical make up, resulting in often surprising incline of the derp threads, unfortunately, those places are typically inhabited by malevolent (or simply incomprehensible), inhuman beings and can be very lethal to unwary mortals entering them without sufficiently powerful protection. Even a protected individual of power should expect possibility of severe sanity loss.

DraQ said:
:what:

What the fuck is this abomination?
Unreal 2 "skaarj", medium variety.

There is also light variety, that lacks armour but somehow looks even more derp, and heavy variety that's completely encased in a tin-can.

Even the light variety moves with about the same grace and speed as U1 brutes (although it can dodge), and can be heard coming several minutes before you can see it.

Heavy variety seems about half as fast as brute, and can fire some sort of supercharged glowy energy ball that moves agonizingly slow, but homes on the player who also moves agonizingly slow, so you get unique chance to larp a slug trying to get out of the way of very slowly advancing droplet of deadly acid. Combat with them generally resembles Dragon Ball Z, thanks to inexplicable homing balls of colorful energy being thrown around, except in bullet time, while submerged in a molasses and without blowing the fuck out of the environment (so even if you're the kind of person that would enjoy DBZ, you won't enjoy this).

Actually, you may try reading Something Awful's review of Unreal 2 which happens to be arguably the most amusing AND informative thing SA has ever produced (even if that's not saying much).

Angthoron said:
The way pretty much all of the Unreal bestiary was ruined in Unreal 2 is amazing. The Skaarj were supposed to be nimble, intelligent hunters, instead they're turned into a bunch of retarded brutes overloaded with armour - what the hell?
There is also the "retarded brutes without armour" variant.
:smug:
Not helping much, am I?

The Krall were treated slightly better, but even then they were a good cause for rage.
Yes they were treated better by not being in the game. They got replaced by Izarians which are some sort of four armed, fugly monstrosities that make generic monkey sounds. They also have blue, luminescent blood, which you will be seeing a lot in the first mission.

Now, the Krall got their own share of dick up their asses, but that's in UT3, and they still ended up way better than Skaarj.

Fowyr said:
Angthoron said:
Well, I'd name several more memorable moments - approaching the crashed ship and the ship itself were rather cool, so was the Spire Valley, same with Gala's Peak, which was more or less Bluff's retarded little brother, except with snow (which was actually cool).

Marines did indeed suck, but mostly because they were essentially fucking bots, equipped with hitscan weaponry you had to fight inside horribly cramped corridors. Fighting bots is a typical complaint leveled against custom mappacks where you get to fight other humans. Indeed, botmatch, against enemies acting like bots is hardly the most engaging part of any single player experience, though it's understandable that modders generally work with what they have first - unfortunately Legend has no such excuse.

In general I wouldn't call RtNP bad, quite the contrary, but compared to Unreal, or even quite a few user made campaigns (admittedly, there are quite a few campaigns that are extremely pro) it just sucks by being so uninspired, which is the last thing an Unreal experience should be. It was kind of an eerie foreshadowing, though. And it had spiders, fortunately not weaponized ones.

Angthoron

Arcane
Nice article there, sums up more or less how I felt about that abomination.

As for RtNP, I recall the environments were pretty decent, but it was basically ruined by the "new" bestiary that I even fail to remember save for the Marines. Spawned from the Marines is another issue as well - the new weapons. Oh god, oh man, oh god, oh man.

They were often the only option to use due to limited ammo for other weapons and they looked like nothing from the original - the dark metallic colours got replaced by cheap plastic visuals. How can the same bunch of people have the AutoMags and Dispersion Pistols and then the completely differently styled assault rifles and rocket/grenade launchers? The fact that the detail level of those was about 0 also contributed...

Ironically regarding the bots part of the Marine AI, that could've been very easily avoidable - the AI editor shipped with the editor was great and easy to use! How lazy they had to be, and completely uninspired and disinterested, it sort of blows my mind. Fan-made packs and weapons were often far superior.

DraQ

Arcane
Angthoron said:
As for RtNP, I recall the environments were pretty decent, but it was basically ruined by the "new" bestiary that I even fail to remember save for the Marines.
Well, you got some small, fast pack hunters, which were kind of cool except somewhat badly animated, with bad collision and not particularly well scripted (but the potential was clearly there). It also had fucking spiders. And spazz mehreens.

They were often the only option to use due to limited ammo for other weapons and they looked like nothing from the original - the dark metallic colours got replaced by cheap plastic visuals. How can the same bunch of people have the AutoMags and Dispersion Pistols and then the completely differently styled assault rifles and rocket/grenade launchers? The fact that the detail level of those was about 0 also contributed...
My main problem was that the new weapons were so uninteresting and bland. You had standard GL that launched grenades that bounced around and could be manually detonated creating most uninspired explosions to be ever copied from first 3D games. The GL looked like several bricks glued together, though it admittedly had a cool sound. You had a rocket launcher which looked like several anodizedl pipes welded together, shot single rockets exploding in the same uninspired manner, and allowed you to guide rockets with your crosshair the same way you'd guide razorjack projectiles in alt-fire. Then you had cobbled, sorry, combat assault rifle, which looked as if made out of cheap whitish plastic, but it was most misleading as in reality it was apparently made of distilled boredom of a million Wal-Mart greeters.

Ironically regarding the bots part of the Marine AI, that could've been very easily avoidable - the AI editor shipped with the editor was great and easy to use! How lazy they had to be, and completely uninspired and disinterested, it sort of blows my mind. Fan-made packs and weapons were often far superior.
Yes.

All in all I'd still rate the pack as decent, but yeah, a lot of FREE fanmade content is so superior it isn't even funny.

Secretninja

Cipher
I never even played the expansion until years later when my disc was messed up and wanted to play the original, so for 10 bucks I was very pleased.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom