Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Effect (aka Dragon Age 2) vs TWitcher 2

Erzherzog

Magister
I've heard that constant pointless dungeons exist in DA:O.

This is not so much of a problem in TWitcher.

Therefore, I'll probably continue to play the Witchers series and continue to stay away from Dragon Age.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oesophagus said:
DA2 is coming out on consoles, TW2 is not*. Any further discussion is not needed

*That's what wiki says anyway

Well CDproject have talked about making a Console version, but it would not be made before the PC version is DONE.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I actually thought that DA:O has decent combat system ruined by poor combat encounters and filler mobs, while Witcher has nice looking but stupid combat mechanic.

Story/dialog/character wise Witcher wins hand down even if its not great its still far better then Dragon Age.

In quests department both have many mmorpg type missions but in the end Witcher actually has some meaningful c&c.

In the end Witcher was a better game then Dragon Age and every new information coming out gives me more and more proof that Witcher 2 will similarity be a superior game.

Rhalle

Magister
Volourn finds the whole Politically Correct Wandering Psychotherapist approach to storytelling by Bioware superior, apparently.

TW2-- even if it plays like Geralt: Arkham Asylum-- is going to urinate on any game BW has made in years and any they will make again. CDPR can write; they aren't geeky Canucks and can into potato; they have better artists; and they actually have designers and coders who are still trying-- instead of doing as little as they possibly can and still get that next-version-retread of their last game out the door. And of course CDPR still has testicles and apparently still isn't afraid to show some tastefully done gratuitous boobs-- in a medium for males aged 12-35, no less. The horror.

One small but instructive example is sheathed weapons. They tried it in W1 and couldn't overcome the clipping issues, so they dropped it. They apparently pursued it again for W2, where it will appear. But good old BW said "fuck it, that's too much work for us and our tards won't care" to it years ago, despite being nagged about it by fans since NWN, and after offering bunches of bullshit excuses about why they couldn't do it.

Another is dynamic lighting. W1 didn't have it because they used BW's Shitrora engine. So CDPR made their own fucking engine, and W2 now has not only dynamic lights instead of baked, but will have a fully-functioning day-night cycle. Bioware, once again, said "fuck it" to that and just used baked lighting in DA because they were too lazy and/or incompetent to implement it, or to make an engine that didn't suck so bad that it wouldn't be totally crippled by it.

Bioware is easily the laziest and most technically incompetent top-teir developer. CDPR owns them. And they can tell a better story, too.

My only worry is CDPR going full retard with DLC.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I didn't like either of the first games, so don't have much hope for their sequels. In that way, they are very similar.

Project: Eternity
TW is one of those games like PS:T, the Fallouts, JA and a bunch of other Codex favorites that I always plan to play some day and end up not doing so but instead replay some Bioware shlock again. I R TEH SUX :(

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Freelance Henchman said:
TW is one of those games like PS:T, the Fallouts, JA and a bunch of other Codex favorites that I always plan to play some day and end up not doing so but instead replay some Bioware shlock again. I R TEH SUX :(

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

:hug:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rhalle said:
CDPR can write

Actually, no, they can't. All the good writing parts in the game were ripped straight from the books - with some shameless recycling that would make Geralt suffer from a serious case of deja vu, if not for his convenient amnesia.

But not to worry anyone - there is still plenty of content in the books to be ripped for TW2 and even TW3. After that it might start to become problematic.

racofer

Thread Incliner
commie said:
Freelance Henchman said:

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

:hug:

Wrong. Proof?

thread_incliner.png

Risine

Liturgist
I actually thought that DA:O has decent combat system ruined by poor combat encounters and filler mobs, while Witcher has nice looking but stupid combat mechanic.

Story/dialog/character wise Witcher wins hand down even if its not great its still far better then Dragon Age.

In quests department both have many mmorpg type missions but in the end Witcher actually has some meaningful c&c.

In the end Witcher was a better game then Dragon Age and every new information coming out gives me more and more proof that Witcher 2 will similarity be a superior game.
Good points.
And I'd add one thing.
Atmosphere and art direction is wonderful in the witcher. That's the first 3D RPG game( well aside UW and Arx Fatalis ) I really get in and enjoy.
Entering the first part of the town was really a wonderful experience, especially the poor quarter, by night. And the town really looks like a town, and not just a few cubes looking like houses placed randomly on the ground as in DA.
DA did not have any atmosphere nor art direction.
( and I'd like to point that Bioware seems to do whatever it can NOT TO SHOW sceneries. They just focus on characters and blood in their screenshots ).
And to finish, Witcher1&2 is the game the developer wants to make, while DA is EA inside.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
That if it sang the blues, you'd want to listen?

MicoSelva said:
Rhalle said:
CDPR can write

Actually, no, they can't. All the good writing parts in the game were ripped straight from the books - with some shameless recycling that would make Geralt suffer from a serious case of deja vu, if not for his convenient amnesia.

But not to worry anyone - there is still plenty of content in the books to be ripped for TW2 and even TW3. After that it might start to become problematic.

And yet, I'd sooner take all the Sapkowski copypasta there is to be had--especially since the novels take for-fucking-ever to translate anyway--over Bethesduh/Biowarian writing.

CrimHead

Scholar
Both will be shit.

:smug:

Didn't expect that did you?

"But Crimhead! TWITCHER had tons of C&C and tits and"

Yeah, how about you just go ahead and suck my dick, faggot

:yeah:

SB impersonation. Was it good?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If DA2 doesn't have the superior quest design and consequences I'm writing an angry letter to Gaider telling him how he's betrayed all that's good and righteous. That'll probably be the only thing it could possibly have going for it. Maybe the character system too, CD Projekt needs to show their crap already.

hiver

Witcher 2 is probably the only PC exclusive game made for consoles. With bioware style and quality dialogues.
Except DA2 is pretty much the same only its a console game made also for PC.

Uhaha.

:retarded:

:thumbsup:

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Roguey said:
If DA2 doesn't have the superior quest design and consequences I'm writing an angry letter to Gaider telling him how he's betrayed all that's good and righteous. That'll probably be the only thing it could possibly have going for it. Maybe the character system too, CD Projekt needs to show their crap already.

Dood it's Bioware.
C&C and good quest design is not really in there repertoire. The same also goes for bioware and there ability to make good Settings, Characters, NPC interaction, Atmosphere and so on.

mydnight

Educated
markec said:

This :thumbsup:

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I plan on buying Twitcher2. The first one was a pretty cool action-rpg marred by an amazingly shitty combat system. CDPR seem to know this, and they seem to have made the action side of the game play better.

DA:O was a 'meh' RPG marred by horrible pacing and a combat system that played like a singleplayer MMO. Instead of addressing the problems, Bioware decided to go full derp this time around, and :decline: the game even further so it'll appeal to a broader audience. No thanks.

Dantus12

Educated
Developed with consoles in mind -DA2
The" amazing" features of lousy scaled up,or not scaled up at all like ME2,ports with sloppy cameras,distance views,FOV`s,blurry textures without settings for higher res and one key for 5 tasks controls vs
Developed on PC first-TW2
Wonderful views, proper controls,richer lore,and fun gameplay.
Hell, picking both up ,just to mock a Bioware fan boyish friend,that claims that Bioware would never fail PC RPG fans.

made

Arcane
20 Eyes said:
The first one was a pretty cool action-rpg marred by an amazingly shitty combat system. CDPR seem to know this, and they seem to have made the action side of the game play better.
At this point I'm fully expecting a mindless clickfest a la 2Worlds2, and the Codex, spearheaded by experts like skyway, jizzing all over it because it finally plays like a proper action game.

hiver

Dantus12 said:
Developed with consoles in mind -DA2
The" amazing" features of lousy scaled up,or not scaled up at all like ME2,ports with sloppy cameras,distance views,FOV`s,blurry textures without settings for higher res and one key for 5 tasks controls vs
Developed on PC first-TW2
Wonderful views, proper controls,richer lore,and fun gameplay.
Hell, picking both up ,just to mock a Bioware fan boyish friend,that claims that Bioware would never fail PC RPG fans.

Tomek Gop :

We designed the game in that way, that eventual console version of Witcher 2 won't force us to change the interface, redesign the gameplay, controls and so on. We attempted to [project the game in that way] that making a console version would be really easy for us.

http://www.gamezilla.pl/content/tomek-g ... na-konsole

No point and click interface, No different camera PoVs, Bioware dialogue, QTE`s.
:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom