Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that got HDR/Bloom right...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
no games got bloom right.

MetalCraze

Arcane
ArmA2 does bloom right. But those glitches do happen on very rare occassions. Like in a very small area with lots of dark space which HDR tries to compensate by lighting it up.

Gerrard

Arcane
2jciihd.jpg

Avalanche engine, most of the time at least.

Jack said:
Gerrard said:
(or if they did, not without modded cfgs)
You aren't allowed to edit the .cfg anymore?
"Games", not "Modders/tweaks".

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Wasn't HDR just a way how to avoid problems with rounding errors and clamping that produced washed colors after several reflections? Basically without HDR it turned 8 bit per channel into 6 bit, which looks horribly.

baronjohn

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
ArmA2 does bloom right. But those glitches do happen on very rare occassions. Like in a very small area with lots of dark space which HDR tries to compensate by lighting it up.

a) it happens all the time
b) every ArmA fag knows the first thing you do when you install arma is disable bloom and blur
c) the sort of ridiculous bloom ArmA renders doesn't happen neither to the natural eye nor film/digital cameras, so it's really just plain BIS incompetence not any sort of deliberate effect
d) it's not a glitch, it's a feature. it's even on promo shots

Arma_2_operation_arrowhead_released.jpg

I can't find it now but there was a hilarous arrowhead promo shot with an afgani woman where EVERYTHING GLOWED. LOL

Destroid

Arcane
Raghar said:
Wasn't HDR just a way how to avoid problems with rounding errors and clamping that produced washed colors after several reflections? Basically without HDR it turned 8 bit per channel into 6 bit, which looks horribly.

I thought HDR was the effect when you walk from a dark area to a bright area the scene darkens so if you are in a bright spot dark areas look darker and vice versus. Although it mostly just ends up that you can't see shit while looking into dark/light areas, and the adjustment time looks retarded. Or is that bloom?

EDIT: Nope bloom is that retarded glowy effect, why videogames want to appear as if they were shot by camera instead of viewed with the human eye I do not know, it's retarded.

DalekFlay said:
Sceptic said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Joke filters
You know the industry is fucked when the so-called "joke" filters actually do look exactly like some other game you've played...

Yeah, if someone told me the bright Reach shot was real I would have believed them.

Well, that's sort of the point - it's called "next gen filter" because it makes the game look like the average bloom-happy game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Destroid said:
EDIT: Nope bloom is that retarded glowy effect, why videogames want to appear as if they were shot by camera instead of viewed with the human eye I do not know, it's retarded.

If the Xbox 360 generation has taught me anything it's that all game developers want to be movie directors.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Gerrard said:
I love how many people there are that never actually played Cryshit (or if they did, not without modded cfgs) and just masturbate to shots made in the editor.

the only way to "play" Crysis.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Splinter Cell Double Agent made good use of HDR. When I turned it off I couldn't see Fisher anymore in the tutorial level, since he was in a white room wearing white clothing, lolz.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Call of Juarez did it well, with great atmospheric HDR.

Far Cry had a very good 'baked sand' effect where it was so bleached that you really 'felt' the heat and the shaded jungle nearby was such a contrast that it gave the corresponding feeling of 'coolness'. The thing is, Far Cry predates HDR/Bloom yet did similar effects far better.

Gerrard

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:
Gerrard said:
I love how many people there are that never actually played Cryshit (or if they did, not without modded cfgs) and just masturbate to shots made in the editor.

the only way to "play" Crysis.
Touché.

Destroid

Arcane
They should really change the way they do foliage, it looks pretty strange when so much of it is clearly floating in the air.

You know, there's something about the above screenshot that bothers me. Is that an important enemy, or a generic lvl 15 thief? Since he's clad in a complete suit of Elven gear, that makes it look like he's important, but he looks out of place.

chzr

Scholar
you can see anyone through the bloom?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom