Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Cursed Trinity votepoll

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
So? Other characters in the series do have personality.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Only listing the ones I was looking forward to/wanted to be good:

NWN - jesus wept... even main menu in this game was fucking 0/10
F3 - AAA title designed and released as a trolling attempt
ME - apart from the visual character design and voice overs it looked and played like a poor indie title and for the copy-paste quests and locations alone they should be court marshalled
Baldurs Gate - clicking around forests, fighting trash mobs with level 3 characters - sounds like fun, 10/10, cult status and guaranteed place on every top10 best games ev4r list, amrite?
Lionheart - seriously, wtf? It's like someone had a decent idea, but completely forgot to make a game, yet still released it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Azrael the cat said:
Look, I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally - and I think this applies to more than a few people here - there's good reason why we're listing Dragon Age when there are objectively worse games out there. I, for one, tend to avoid shit games. I'm an easily pleased fella - certainly no Skyway, and if a game has EITHER okay combat OR decent story OR decent C+C then that's enough for me - that's why I get on fine with fare like Alpha Protocol. But if there is one thing that really really shits me, it's when a game forces hours upon hours of mindless filler combat down my throat.

As I said, I usually avoid those games. I suspect most people here also avoid games they think are shit.

And because we avoid games we think are shit, we're hesitant to list them on our 'most hated' polls. Why should I list Descent to Undermountain? I heard it was shite at the time and I never played it. I'd be guessing.

Now with Dragon Age, there was something that interrupted that usual cycle of ignoring shite games. VD's review.

That's right. I'll admit it. I bought the game - in part, at least - due to VD's review.

Fuck you VD's Review.
From the review:

"The Combat system

The combat system is real-time with pause. It works well because the character system is solid and provides a lot of options. It has the potential to be one of the best RT systems, but the insane amount of combat filler ruins the combat and replayability. The non-filler fights are interesting and challenging, forcing you to understand the options and try different tactics. The combat filler, which sadly represents at least 80% of the combat encounters, isn't as exciting and can only be described as an exercise in tedium and patience.

I'd say that the decision to fill the game with generic combat was THE worst DA design decision, because it drowns truly memorable fights in an ocean of combat filler and makes replaying the game and making different choices - an undeniable strength of the game - so much harder. When I started playing the game I kept making mental notes about my next character's choices and admiring all the possibilities, but by the time I finished the game the combat price to try different non-combat things was way too much for me.

Unfortunately, the filler combat once again gets in the way, creating long combat-filled gaps between decisions, which makes it harder to appreciate the main quest design."

Can't say I didn't warn you.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Oblivion
Fallout: Crapital Wasteland
Dragon Age: Origins
Dungeon Siege
Arcanum*

*it's blatantly 1/2 finished, the combat system plays like it's 1/10 finished, horribly balanced, bugs out the ass, ect, ect, ect. No wonder this game bombed and no wonder nobody wants to make real RPGs anymore. Cool script, cool characters, cool setting, shit everything else.

Erebus

Arcane
I've played Torment, Arcanum and Fallout 1/2, but I've never played Oblivion and somehow, sometimes, it makes me feel like I'm but a half-Codexer. It's as if it the Codex was actually defined by its hatred for that game.

Vault Dweller said:
Azrael the cat said:
Look, I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally - and I think this applies to more than a few people here - there's good reason why we're listing Dragon Age when there are objectively worse games out there. I, for one, tend to avoid shit games. I'm an easily pleased fella - certainly no Skyway, and if a game has EITHER okay combat OR decent story OR decent C+C then that's enough for me - that's why I get on fine with fare like Alpha Protocol. But if there is one thing that really really shits me, it's when a game forces hours upon hours of mindless filler combat down my throat.

As I said, I usually avoid those games. I suspect most people here also avoid games they think are shit.

And because we avoid games we think are shit, we're hesitant to list them on our 'most hated' polls. Why should I list Descent to Undermountain? I heard it was shite at the time and I never played it. I'd be guessing.

Now with Dragon Age, there was something that interrupted that usual cycle of ignoring shite games. VD's review.

That's right. I'll admit it. I bought the game - in part, at least - due to VD's review.

Fuck you VD's Review.
From the review:

"The Combat system

The combat system is real-time with pause. It works well because the character system is solid and provides a lot of options. It has the potential to be one of the best RT systems, but the insane amount of combat filler ruins the combat and replayability. The non-filler fights are interesting and challenging, forcing you to understand the options and try different tactics. The combat filler, which sadly represents at least 80% of the combat encounters, isn't as exciting and can only be described as an exercise in tedium and patience.

I'd say that the decision to fill the game with generic combat was THE worst DA design decision, because it drowns truly memorable fights in an ocean of combat filler and makes replaying the game and making different choices - an undeniable strength of the game - so much harder. When I started playing the game I kept making mental notes about my next character's choices and admiring all the possibilities, but by the time I finished the game the combat price to try different non-combat things was way too much for me.

Unfortunately, the filler combat once again gets in the way, creating long combat-filled gaps between decisions, which makes it harder to appreciate the main quest design."

Can't say I didn't warn you.

Stop interfering VD, this isn't your fight. It's me v your review, mano-mano and your review shouldn't need you rocking up here to do its arguing for it. So far, I'm taking the glaring silence from your review as evidence that it truly has no answer to my withering critique.

Yeesh

Magister
Codex's most disgustingly ugliest girls in the entire history of the universe:

2qnm5vb.jpg

made

Arcane
I, too, bought DA (including all the dlc, and expansions, and novels) because VD said it's the best rpg since Arcanum. Imagine my disappointment.

Morkar Left

Zed said:
Oblivion was more interesting, even with shitty story and dumbed down stats etc. It had some great locations, fun side-quests and even if there were few stats you could still customize your character enough to warrant re-plays. Great exploration.

I count that as an mediocre trolling post :?

epikitscheesy

Liturgist
Yeesh said:
Codex's most disgustingly ugliest girls in the entire history of the universe:

2qnm5vb.jpg
Please, let this thread be about fraternity whores from now on!
:pete:
the second gal from the left is actually kinda cute

Btw, who said you actually have to play Arcania to vote for it?
And if you're in for a little tingling of the hate nerves, the demo easily suffices.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why are we supposed to name five games if the thread is called 'cursed trinity'? What is this I don't even.

Anyway, my choices:
Dungeon Siege, for making dungeon crawling boring as fuck
Lionheart, for godawful combat
NWN, for inexcusably bland original campaign
Fallout 3, for ruining my beloved franchise
Dragon Age 2, for biggest disappointment I had with a cRPG

edit: How could have I forgotten NWN???
edit 2: also forgot Dungeon Siege...

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Awor Szurkrarz said:
So? Other characters in the series do have personality.
HAY HAY I ARE DRUNK DWARF!
HAY HAY I ARE SEXY GIRL!
HAY HAY I ARE FAGGOT BARD!
HAY HAY I ARE DARK BROODING VILLAIN!

The Witcher? More like Dragon Age 0.5

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Morkar said:
Zed said:
Oblivion was more interesting, even with shitty story and dumbed down stats etc. It had some great locations, fun side-quests and even if there were few stats you could still customize your character enough to warrant re-plays. Great exploration.

I count that as an mediocre trolling post :?
the interest club is taking notes

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Dragon age: incredibly bland setting and design, boring combat. Didn´t make it past the first village. Massive disappointment.

Dungeonsiege: Can´t remember why, but i disliked this immensly back then.

Mass Effect: Aggravating side quests, gazillions of items meant no interest in any of them whatsoever, repeating generic dungeons, stupid god damn planetbuggy, lame story and characters.
It makes me angry even writing about this turd of a game.

Some final fantasy title (cant remember which one): idiotic japanese characters, stupid japanese design, annoying voice over.
Haven´t touched an jrpg since.

Neverwinter nights OC: annoying first dungeon, made more rage-inducing by the fact that they reduced the city itself to a hub with 3 extra dungeons. Fucking henchmen as compaions.

Any mmorpg: knowing full well the depravity of the average online anonymous game player, i have almost stayed completely clear of those.

Havent really played Oblivion or Fable (since i knew they would undoubtably suck) so i cant comment on those.

Vibalist

Arcane
Oblivion for reasons that have been mentioned over and over by people here. Like a true dumbass, I went out and bought it without knowing anything about it, as I had played it briefly at a friend's house and thought to myself that there was no way this game could be bad.
I expected a huge world that would be exciting to explore, consequences for doing evil stuff like joining the Dark Brotherhood (such as the law coming after you) and the chance to roleplay a unique character in a huge world that responded to you. Maybe those expectations were too high and too unrealistic, and it was certainly my own fault for not learning before buying that Oblivion was basically an RPG that didn't allow any actual ROLEPLAY or choice-making, but even then the game also sucked in every other area. From combat to quest design to the horrible level scaling and copy pasted dungeons. What a piece of shite. How it recieved so many accolades is still an mystary to me. The stupid fanboy larpers who dress their character up in an apron and pretend to be a baker or some shit and act like that's roleplaying also deserve a mention, as they make me hate this game even more.

Then there's NWN OC. Even back when I was young and stupid I thought this to be a boring piece of crap. Imagine going from Baldurs Gate 2 to this. Say what you will about BG2, but that game had charm, decent quests, good encounter design and gameplay, a world that had atmosphere and was overall a good product. NWN's OC was fucking awful, with an unimaginative plot, boring gameplay, a stale gameworld and every other negative quality you can pin on an RPG. It's another title that's been discussed countless times here, so there's no need for me to delve further into why this game deserves to be called one of the worst. But it truly is.

Hmm... Jade Empire I guess, for basically being Bioware's blandest and most uninspired game to date, which says a lot. Bioware can provide some ok entertainment at times, but this title they shitted out. It's basically a lighter, shorter version of KoTOR, with companions that they seemingly spent even less time working on than usual, a plot twist that was seemingly only there because people looked forward to the next mandatory Bioware plot twist, combat that was twitch based and underdeveloped and well... Everything was just boring about that game really.

NWN OC 2 is also crappy. Throw in every fantasy cliche, from the hero being the chosen one to the companions all being a bunch of stereotypes and the villain being someone called The King of Shadows, and then add that to the gameplay being fucking shit, the game itself being linear and devoid of any important choices and THE FUCKING ORC CAVES and there you have it. Were there any redeeming features in this game? Not really.

And lastly... Fuck I don't know. I haven't played ArcaniA or Fable or many of the other shitty games, and I really don't think neither the Mass Effects, Fallout 3 or DA deserve spots on my list as they all have redeeming and even fun features. I wanna add BG or KoTOR, but they're both games I had fun playing when I was younger and they have a place in my nostalgic heart, as long as I never replay them. Alpha Protocol doesn't deserve a spot either as it's a good game. So is Diablo 2. Fuck it, just throw ArcaniA on the list, as I hear it's feces.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Let's see...

Arcania - should be obvious.

NWN - For being mind-boggingly boring and awful in just about every aspect.

NWN2: OC - For being pretty much the exact same bloody thing as NWN, just party-based and badly optmised.

ToEE - This is not how you make a fucking dungeon crawler, for fuck's fucking sake, no matter how 'true' is the implementation of the ruleset.

And number 5? No idea, honestly. I could write Oblivion, but... it was dethroned by Arcania and seems like a masterpiece in comparison. I had the luck of never playing Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Lionheart and some other spectacular turds, so I can't list them. Jade Empire I didn't play for more than 30 minutes and it seemed boring as fuck, but I wouldn't call it 'worst ever', same with Dragon Age. Even Fable was entertaining for an hour or two.

Then I guess #5 will be Dungeon Siege 2 - Yes, DS2, not 1. I actually found DS1 to be a moderately entertaining screensaver with pretty graphixx, nice music and lots of phat loot. But DS2 not only decided to go 'serious business', with horribly broken skilltrees and plethora of bugs, it also skipped shitloads of secret areas and loot overload (iirc). But most of all, it became fucking story-driven or some other shit, with one of the most retarded and predictable plots ever, getting in the way of the hackin' and slashin' for great justice.

Grunker said:
My five:

1. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

2. Neverwinter Nights (Original Campaign and SoU, not HotU which was awzum)

3. Lionheart - Legacy of the Crusader

4. Fable

5. Risen

Risen? What did you find especially horrible about it? It is one of the few action CRPG's I enjoy.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Diablo 2 - Declined the genre
NWN 1 OC - Declined reviewers
Oblivion - Declined the codex

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Re: Codex Cursed Trinity

Konjad said:
at the time when I wake up and start counting votes.

What in the fuck? Are inside some cryogenic freezer right now that is powered by potato?

Anyways my list:

Ultima IX
Dragon Age
NWN OC
Oblivion
Lionheart

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Blackadder said:
Grunker said:
My five:

1. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

2. Neverwinter Nights (Original Campaign and SoU, not HotU which was awzum)

3. Lionheart - Legacy of the Crusader

4. Fable

5. Risen

Risen? What did you find especially horrible about it? It is one of the few action CRPG's I enjoy.

It's a semi-troll/semi-actuallymyopinion. When I was new here, I got into some shit-flinging with phelot, mikayel and Roxor over Risen, which I still think of as an awful game. I recounted my opinion on it in another thread, I'll find you a link and put it in the edit...

I guess like Roxor hates ToEE which is generally well-liked I hate Risen. You gotta contest one hivemind opinion lest it swallows you whole ;)

EDIT: Here's the link Blackadder: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php ... en#1309875

It's in the post where I start by quoting Cassidy.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So in other words you are deliberately sabotaging a prestigious and scientific poll that will reverberate with its findings across the space-time continuum just to be all edgy?

7hm

Scholar
I'd say...

Oblivion. Only rpg I've completely given up on. I actually played it on the XBox later - maybe because I take a more casual stance on my xbox gaming, but I didn't want to kill myself while playing it.

Final Fantasy / any jrpg. The art makes me want to vomit. I force myself to play Shiren for the strong roguelike gameplay but god I hate the art. Most jrpg's I've tried have the terrible art and terrible gameplay to go along with it.

Avernum 1,2,3. Remakes of good games (I loved Exile) but terrible art / ui and less options. Pointless.

Not sure if I can think of anything else. Avernum was actually a stretch - if Exile hadn't existed I'd have been fine with the series (I'm fine with 4+ as it's new content). Haven't tried enough other crap - I pretty well enjoy most of what I play and have stayed away from some of the more obviously bad games (from what I gather, the later M&M and Ultima games and the current crop of crap). Even though I've played RPGs all my life there are so many good older games to play and then replay that there's not much point burning time with crappy games.

Edit: Oh. And Fallout 3. Fallout 2 was an incredible game - I spent probably hundreds of hours in it over multiple playthroughs. Fallout 3 wasn't bad but it was a massive :decline:.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom