Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Paradox derping its mod community?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Reject_666_6 said:
First of all, they're going overboard with these expansions.

Yeah . . . 'cause if there's one thing that sucks for modders, it's the developer continuing to support and add on to their game for years, bringing in new players and keeping the community active.

Reject_666_6 said:
Apart from putting out so many unnecessary expansions, they have gone one step further and decided to hire mod teams to make stand-alone versions of the games they were modding and sell them for $$$.

Good point. Paradox has stumbled across the most successful possible way to discourage modding: pay the modders. Because, you know, giving people money for doing something usually makes them stop.

Reject_666_6 said:
All this disruption and employment has the effect of completely drying up the mods for their latest generation of games: Hearts of Iron III and Victoria 2.

Oh no, not employment!!! (Also, Vicky 2 has an active mod community, but is too recent to have many mods yet, and HoI 3 simply isn't as popular as -- for example -- EU3.

Reject_666_6 said:
they added so many modder-friendly features in HoI3 it's ridiculous
Reject_666_6 said:
It's like Paradox is actively trying to stop people form modding their games

Yes . . . that makes sense . . .

Reject_666_6

Arcane
GarfunkeL said:
I think that you, kind sir, are only butthurt because your favourite free mods are drying up or turning commercial.

I don't see what's so bad about being butthurt about that.

cardtrick said:

Thank you for your very insightful opinion that doesn't take anything out of context at all. I know redding is teh hard, but quote-mining won't win you any intelligence awards any time soon.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Serious_Business said:
This isn't a real problem. I don't think people realise how precarious Paradox's situation must be at times. They aren't fucking developing Civilization 6. It's no wonder they're churning out "expansions" all the time that of the size of 10mb, they need the cash. Using modders as developpers is their latest move, and it's not all that bad. It's not like they have started to develop console shooters or some shit. They gave us Victoria 2. Their thing is to tap into a specific market, beyond this market there isn't anything at all to exploit. I'm pretty surprised about how smart and ressourceful they are really, while not dumbing down their products all that much. Rome was an attempt I believe and it pretty much backfired. Either they are too scared to go into the mainstream by making shit products and loosing their fanbase, so they prefer just making small but constant profits, or they are actual bros that like to make the games they want to make.

You are wrong about Rome. Johan himself stated that it sold very well for Paradox, not as good as EU or HoI series but good never the less. They made one expansion, which really fleshed out the game and are planning another one.

Besides Rome wasnt really dumbed down. It had this new and good unit mechanic, a bit advanced trade and great internal politics - civil wars, personal ambitions, more realistic tech research... Of course Rome lacks some features to make it more immersive and its limited becauseof lack of nations but its a good game. Try it sometime, its worth it IMO.

And yes, the mai problem is Paradox ran out of profitable eras for their games. They got WWII, XIX- early XX century, renaissance-baroque-enlightement and medieval times, Roman times in their games. Only ones left are Ancient/dark ages and cold war. And there are not many people interested in those.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Too bad that Paradox doesn't make tactical/skirmish-level wargames. I'd love to be a paid modder.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
With the expansion Rome really got into stride. The latest patches improve it even more. What the game does really well is simulate internal political strife. In fact, I've yet to see a game which does a better job at making you paranoid about your own generals.

Anyway, talking about a game company running out of profitable era is hogwash. You can always make sequels. Oh wai

EDIT: Wasn't all hope for a Rome expansion squashed when Paradox announced the latest Eu3 one? Rome fans have been clamoring for one for ages but it seemsed never to materialise.

Destroid

Arcane
They are publishing a cold war era game, atlhough it's not developed in house (probably more of those modders turned devs :p)

cardtrick

Arbiter
Trash said:
EDIT: Wasn't all hope for a Rome expansion squashed when Paradox announced the latest Eu3 one? Rome fans have been clamoring for one for ages but it seemsed never to materialise.

I don't think so . . . if I'm remembering right, it was in that same announcement they said they were spinning up a new internal team for expansions, and that Rome was definitely a contender to get the next one after they finish Divine Wind.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Ancients seems like a really great era for them to make a game in which is still largely untapped.

If anything it might be too rich in interesting options to squeeze into one game though.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Considering the amount of butthurt that their existing games can create, can you imagine the amount of BAAWWW if they made a Cold War game? :lol:

As to Reject_666, I can understand the frustration if your favourite mod dies but think of the additional motivation to new modders - you might get hired by Paradox! There's always bound to be new people coming to modding. The scripting is fairly simple to do - hell, I don't know jack shit about coding but it didn't stop me from creating Liberation of Baltic States events for HoI3. I bet the big mods suffer mostly from lack of researchers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom