Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can't run VTMB... gutted.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have recently been experiencing my recurrent craving to play VTMB. So, I installed it on this laptop of mine, and presto, doubleclicked the desktop icon, watched the intro movies and BLAM! Crash after the Troika logo...

Tried skipping the movies, not skipping the movies, installing official patch, installing unofficial patch, reinstalling the game, run as administrator, compatibility mode, disabling desktop themes and that crap, googled for similar problems and tried all the possible shit out there. Nothing. Every single time, the game crashes to desktop after the Troika logo.

Anyone experienced this or know how to fix it?

I am pretty annoyed because I remember playing it last year on my vista desktop pc back home, so I really don't know what's wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Monkeysphere

Novice
This has happened to me once, turned out that game was having problems with certain version of nvidia drivers, i rememeber i had to force refresh rate on the .exe to make it work. I dont really rememeber the exact process tho , been a while.

bhlaab

Erudite
Try this:

Go to the vampire bloodlines directory
go to "bin"
select all + copy
go back to main dir
paste everything from bin into the main directory

i had this problem with vtm and half life 2 where the game would crash unless i disabled the sound and fixed it by doing that.
i dont know why it works, it just does.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sisay said:
This crash is fixed by the unofficial patches.

It isn't: as I mentioned in the OP, I get the crash no matter what patch I install or not. :)

And Racofer is absolutely right, I'm still a noob and forgot the most important thing, ze specz!

Acer Aspire 5920g

Inter Core Duo T7300 @2.00GHz
RAM 2GB
HDD 250GB, of which more than 100GB (defragmented last week, btw)
nVidia 8600GS 512Mb (latest drivers)
Windows Vista 32bit

And the rest is kinda unimportant, methinks. All drivers are up-to-date. So are all windows updates.

Anyway, thanks all for the tips, I will try them out and see if I can actually start sucking some blood!

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Jaesun said:
Is this a pirated copy?

As I'm at uni, it is. My original discs are back home (next to the desktop pc on which they run perfectly), about 1100 miles from here (ok it sounds like an excuse but you'll have to take my word for it. Also, if I actually was doing something illegal, I wouldn't be posting about it on a forum).

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've never had a problem running a pirated copy of VTMB on Windows 7 64bit. Your specs look fine, too.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
bhlaab said:
Try this:

Go to the vampire bloodlines directory
go to "bin"
select all + copy
go back to main dir
paste everything from bin into the main directory

i had this problem with vtm and half life 2 where the game would crash unless i disabled the sound and fixed it by doing that.
i dont know why it works, it just does.

A whole cookie jar to you. This did it. It's really random tho, and doesn't make sense. But it did it. Cower in fear, mortals, I'm gonna suck you dryyyyyy!

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
Jools said:
Jaesun said:
Is this a pirated copy?

As I'm at uni, it is. My original discs are back home (next to the desktop pc on which they run perfectly), about 1100 miles from here (ok it sounds like an excuse but you'll have to take my word for it. Also, if I actually was doing something illegal, I wouldn't be posting about it on a forum).

I don't think this is a community where you have to apologize for piracy... now buying games, that you have to beg forgiveness for.

racofer

Thread Incliner
SolipsisticUrge said:
I don't think this is a community where you have to apologize for piracy... now buying games, that you have to beg forgiveness for.

This is an outrageous accusation. I'm very upset you think like this regarding our prestigious online community.

mariog

Educated
I had the exactly same problem under XP till I installed the Clan Mod (with the installer that includes both the unofficial patch and the Camarilla mod) and then it just disappeared - I too had a Geforce (a 9800GT, though). I dunno if installing that might help or if it was just luck.

And yeah, the unofficial patches alone didn't help me either.

EDIT: just noticed you solved problem, oh well.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
racofer said:
SolipsisticUrge said:

This is an outrageous accusation. I'm very upset you think like this regarding our prestigious online community.

Racofer is right, honetly who would buy games here...

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
Malakal said:
racofer said:
SolipsisticUrge said:

Racofer is right, honetly who would buy games here...

Oh, please don't think I meant to imply any prestigious Codexians actually would buy a game. Just pointing out the danger is all.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
In all honesty, I try to buy the ones made by people who deserve the money. The Witcher, Drakensang, Gothic, Divinity 2, VTMB... Just to name a few I deemed worthy of such an honour.

But then again, I'm as far as one could be from being a "prestigious Codexian". In fact, I'm a noob and have my own DAO Transexual Oghren module project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom