Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

kazgar

Arcane
Jaedar said:
Is disciples 3 any good?

This.

same with the polynomial, anyone played with that?

cardtrick

Arbiter
Gragt said:
Kinda fun that The Void keeps being sold as a horror game.

It's a hard game to categorize. I would say it fits better in that pack than in any of the other indie packs. Plus, it has a creepier atmosphere than most horror games. I think it's fair.

(Awesome game, by the way, for anyone who hasn't played it -- it's a steal for $5.)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yep, I got it. So far: Indie Fright Pack, Indie Beat Pack, Super Meat Boy, and Puzzle Quest. Debating Indie Brain Pack.

Angthoron

Arcane
Is The Path any good, by the way? I bought the Fright Pack anyway, but seeing as Zombie Driver sucks I'm wondering if there's anything else in that pack to play besides the Void.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Angthoron said:
Is The Path any good, by the way? I bought the Fright Pack anyway, but seeing as Zombie Driver sucks I'm wondering if there's anything else in that pack to play besides the Void.

Try the demo. The Path is collosal shit, avoid. The Void for 5e is a good deal, couldn't care less about the other games though.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Today's deals are pretty mediocre. Hell, Tales of Monkey Island was only $5 during that Pirate Week promo or whatever and now it's $17.50 as a daily during their biggest sale of the year? Pfft. Probably not getting anything today.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fortunately I got a secret deal in the addition of the first Humble Bundle games to the 2nd pack~

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Tycn said:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6917/

The Void + other things for $5
kazgar said:
Jaedar said:
Is disciples 3 any good?

This.

same with the polynomial, anyone played with that?
General consensus seems to be that it's shit.

Whoa, that's a pretty nice deal. Think I'll buy it and gift The Void to my friend since I already have it. Mostly getting it for The Path, but I see that there is some popamole shootan as well and a few zombie games that might be fun.

Fuck this shit, though. I have like 20 new games I have to play now. When will I have time to play? The sales have only begun and I can foresee more unplayed games in my steam account waiting to be played. Fuck.
:x

Angthoron

Arcane
Dunno, I raged at it when I played the "demo". Maybe they patched up the glaring bugs since then though.

Bought Railworks 2, have been curious about it for a long time, plus someone in the family likes putting models and such together, the editor seems perfect for wasting half a day with it (from the vidyas at least).

Multi-headed Cow

Spore price is annoying. Even though I know the gameplay of Spore is shit, I always wanted to get it cheap so I could fly around looking at space dicks. $20 isn't particularly cheap for the bundle.

Think I'll pick up the indie deal of the day (Clones), and maybe AVP. Been $5 a few times now and even though I heard it wasn't that great, at $5 I might have fun going through the campaign once.

Angthoron

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
Spore price is annoying. Even though I know the gameplay of Spore is shit, I always wanted to get it cheap so I could fly around looking at space dicks. $20 isn't particularly cheap for the bundle.

Here's my poetic review of Spore:

Spore is chore
Spore is bore
Spore’s not at all
hardcore
Spore makes my
nuts go sore.
I’d rather hire a
Whore
Than go buy it
At the store.

Really, spend $20 on a hooker, it'll be fun for twenty seconds longer than Spore, and with a bit of luck you'll remember the encounter for the rest of your (perhaps significantly shortened) life.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Is spore easy to play? I just torrented Fable. Shit game but the simplicity is perfect for my nieces (who are nine and seven respectively). The last sale they had i bought them some kind of managing game where you raise and train magical horses, but the gameplay was so pathetically simple even they got bored with it. I'm now considering staying away from children games and buying grown up games which are actually too stupid for adults so i can hit the right balance for them.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Spore isn't worth it. Great potential but horrible execution. The main problem is 'customizing' your species doesn't make it play any different than all the others -- it is purely aesthetic. For $7.50 there's better stuff to buy for you or your nieces, like the indie packs, etc.

Clones is a nice deal for $2.50 if you like Lemmings type of games. I tried the demo and it wasn't really my cup of tea but the production value is fairly high and it has multiplayer, too.

Angthoron

Arcane
Actually now that I noticed that it has Galactic Adventures in it, I have to ask - how do those rate? The vanilla Spore is crap without reservation, but GA seems like it at least has some potential?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never tried it but I can't imagine it improving on the base game that much.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Angthoron said:
Is The Path any good, by the way?

It's a mixed bag. On the one hand, you have developpers who try to do something truly different than the instant gratification bullshit you see everywhere today, while knowing they'll likely get very little for it, and they managed to do something rather unique, and I respect that; on the other hand, the whole thing is intended more as an experience than a game, and many of the mechanics seem to be a commentary on modern games (for exemple you can collect around 150 flowers in the forest but doing so will do pretty much nothing significant). While you can tell it was made only by a couple of people, it has a great sense of aesthetics, and the whole idea of exploring the myth of the little red riding hood by having girls meet their "wolves" is interesting.

But the problem, again, is that the game seem to be mainly made to make you feel something and not make you think, which is why The Void succeeds where The Path fails. TV deals mainly with ideas, which are always stronger than emotions because an idea will likely go from the cerebral to the emotional level, while an emotion will never become cerebral.

I'd say get The Path if you are interested to see what is going on on the more serious "games are art" side of indie developpers, but be also aware that it is flawed because it is very little of a game. While many other games tried to seriously do art, the only one I know of that managed to both be great art and still stay a game is The Void, which makes it the most important game to be released these last few years.

Multi-headed Cow: yeah, AvP for 5 $ sounds right. Be aware that the two DLC aren't part of the deal, though there is a 25% reduction for now, which amounts to nothing because the price was rather small to begin with. That said the DLC consist of two map packs and from the little I read the reaction was rather underwhelming. The survival mode can still be fun though.

Only thing that could interest me today is Bully. What do you guys have to say about it? With that price, I do not mind if it's a flawed game as long as it can be enjoyable. It's just that I'm rather leery of Rockstar since the huge letdown of San Andreas — still haven't finished that one!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom