Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dragon Shouts Explained

CreamyBlood

Arcane
1451 said:
I wonder if the battles against the dragons will be challenging enough.

Of course not, you just hold down the 'A' button and the game yells at the dragons then they fall over and die. At least that's how I read it. Normal challenge for modern gamers.

Nael

Arcane
CreamyBlood said:
1451 said:
I wonder if the battles against the dragons will be challenging enough.

Of course not, you just hold down the 'A' button and the game yells at the dragons then they fall over and die. At least that's how I read it. Normal challenge for modern gamers.

And all the while it sounds like Max Headroom laughing. *shudders*

Drakron

Arcane
Well it seems Todd keeps raping the Elder Scrolls lore.

Dragons were allies of Septim, Todd knows that because he was Project Leader of TESA:Redguard that had Nafaalilargus, a Red Dragon.

DraQ

Arcane
Drakron said:

Dragons were allies of Septim, Todd knows that because he was Project Leader of TESA:Redguard that had Nafaalilargus, a Red Dragon.
This.

And that's the reason why I would really want to Scream Dragon Roar at Todd, till he fell over and died.

Lingwe

Liturgist
I wish they would just call them Thu'um like they are properly called. None of this 'dragon shout' shit. Pete probably decided that the kids wouldn't be able to understand what the hell Thu'um meant so they had to change the name to some generic sounding thing.

I'd also like to hear how the dragons became enemies of people when the Empire were the ones who gave the few remaining dragons refuge in the first place. Something tells me that the Toddler has just decided to ignore that piece of lore, just like he has ignored every other piece of lore that didn't fit with his "wow cool!" mentality.

poetic codex

Augur
Text never gives a very accurate portrayal when it comes to gameplay.

I'll reserve judgment until I see videos with actual game play footage. Although based on the current way of doing things, they won't release actual gameplay footage until a few weeks before the game comes out.

Miew

Novice
They might as well have called it Dragon Spells. That's what it seems to be.

Wether this is actually interesting in the game or not depends on wether they manage to balance the difficulty right. If it's like in Oblivion or Fallout3, where you are all powerful from basically the start of the game, then I won't care for some Dragon Shouts.

Lingwe said:
I'd also like to hear how the dragons became enemies of people

Beowulf was all out of gum.

Nice timing with the upcoming Thor movie too.

Miew said:
Wether this is actually interesting in the game or not depends on wether they manage to balance the difficulty right. If it's like in Oblivion or Fallout3, where you are all powerful from basically the start of the game, then I won't care for some Dragon Shouts.

And if you're not all powerful from the start and dragon shouts are super spells they won't be interesting either.

They need to have gameplay effects different from the ones you'd get with regular magic, like the mysticism school was supposed to.

Drakron

Arcane
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:
Beowulf was all out of gum.

Well people have been asking about Dragons since Morrowind and by asking I do mean having them as enemies.

Now I am not against the idea but better come up with a damn good excuse for it considering what been said, the people that asked for Dragons are the brain dead that can only understand generic fantasy setting were Dragons are just a "cool boss".

Considering the Lore Rape that was Oblivion, Skyrin seems to be the continuation ... even if I bet there will be apologists Todd is now killing the fanbase of the Elder Scrolls by keep pulling shit like this and the moment the series loses popularity Bethesda is fucked.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
poetic codex said:
Text never gives a very accurate portrayal when it comes to gameplay.

I'll reserve judgment until I see videos with actual game play footage. Although based on the current way of doing things, they won't release actual gameplay footage until a few weeks before the game comes out.

Prosper, do you really have to use all three alts in a row to say nothing. It's fucking annoying.

Take your pills dude. They really might help. If not, drink some fucking whiskey or something.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm amazed that after Oblivion and FO3 there are still other, deeper levels in the dungeon of retardation that Bethesda is exploring.

Thank fuck I never really got into Elder Scrolls like I got into Fallout so the lore rape or retardation doesn't cut me like a knife, though I would still appreciate a decent game.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Once you finish mapping CRON DraQ and I can do something about getting you into TES.

Pre-Oblivion that is.

As far as I can tell, even the utterly retarded console gamers don't like lore rape, assuming (and this is a big 'if') the lore was dumbed down enough and cliched enough for them to like it in the first place, AND if they were actually playing the series when the lore was made.

They love themselves some FF7 story, and they'll know their Zelda, their Resident Evil and their Halo stories inside out, even going so far as to read those sub-'Dick and Dora' books they sell as 'Halo extended universe' titles. Retcon Aerie's death and you'll have an army of angry consoletards baying for blood. They won't actually punish you saleswise until 2 games on, because they fall for the hype the first time around, but they get pissed off nonetheless and that hurts sales.

The console guys and the dumber-than-brick types jumped in to TES around Oblivion. No, wait...AT Oblivion. They consider Oblivion to be rock solid lore, and they'll get pissed at anything that rewrites it. Bethesda bought themselves freedom from lore for a while there, as they expanded the fanbase so much that most never played, nor cared about, the earlier games - but do you think the guys going around LARPING for days on end in Oblivion aren't going to care about the lore? Nope, I don't think Bethesda is going to be able to pull that one again for quite some time. And I can't see Todd successfully working within the structure of a lore-driven world.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Drakron said:

Codex retardedness strikes again. Where does Redguard say every single fucking dragon in existance is an ally of the Septims? FFS you dumbfucks just get worse and worse. These dragons are related to Alduin which up until now has been nothing more than a nord mythical figure and have nothing to do with the "normal" tamriel dragons.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Azrael the cat said:
As far as I can tell, even the utterly retarded console gamers don't like lore rape, assuming (and this is a big 'if') the lore was dumbed down enough and cliched enough for them to like it in the first place, AND if they were actually playing the series when the lore was made.

They love themselves some FF7 story, and they'll know their Zelda, their Resident Evil and their Halo stories inside out, even going so far as to read those sub-'Dick and Dora' books they sell as 'Halo extended universe' titles. Retcon Aerie's death and you'll have an army of angry consoletards baying for blood. They won't actually punish you saleswise until 2 games on, because they fall for the hype the first time around, but they get pissed off nonetheless and that hurts sales.

The console guys and the dumber-than-brick types jumped in to TES around Oblivion. No, wait...AT Oblivion. They consider Oblivion to be rock solid lore, and they'll get pissed at anything that rewrites it. Bethesda bought themselves freedom from lore for a while there, as they expanded the fanbase so much that most never played, nor cared about, the earlier games - but do you think the guys going around LARPING for days on end in Oblivion aren't going to care about the lore? Nope, I don't think Bethesda is going to be able to pull that one again for quite some time. And I can't see Todd successfully working within the structure of a lore-driven world.

There is no actual confirmed lore rape. Just retards embarrassing themselves with their inability to grasp the arcane concept of multiple factions. :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
Drakron said:
Well people have been asking about Dragons since Morrowind and by asking I do mean having them as enemies.
Bethesda post-release of Morrowind is the one company that would probably benefit from being completely isolated from customer feedback. So far, based on their performance in oblivious and snippets of info about skvrim, ever since the release of Morrowind they seem to either be accumulating their fandom's collective dumb or twisting the wishes of their fans in most malevolent manner possible. In either case, lack of feedback would limit the amount of stupidity they would be capable of to their own output.

Sceptic said:
Once you finish mapping CRON DraQ and I can do something about getting you into TES.
CRON = ?

Also, yes.

Pre-Oblivion that is.
Obviously. :obviously:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
MM1. Commie was playing the game and mapping by hand. That was a subtle reminder that he hasn't updated me on his status in the game ;)

torpid

Liturgist
Azrael the cat said:

I think you're overestimating the majority of players considerably. First of all, I doubt that many consoletards really care about the lore, aside from the LARPERs who show up on the Bethesda forums, and they're a minority of the player base. Most casuals I know who played Oblivion simply saw it as an open world action game, nothing more. Second, even if it turns out that a significant number of Oblivion players end up being pissed at Skyrim, there'll be a new batch of kiddies revved up by all the hype that'll replace them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom