Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Authentic RPG and its Tragic Demise

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
When I get a time machine, the first thing I'm gonna do is go back to the moment the term 'roleplaying' game is invented and murder the person doing it.

Black Cat

Magister
@ SuperNintendo Chalmers

Nothing personal but you seem to be kind of mixing roleplaying with larping or general make believe. I have nothing against general make believe, nor against larping if that's your thing, but without further elaboration we end back at Halo Wars is a great role playing game and similar stuffies.

mondblut

Arcane
SuperNintendo Chalmers said:
Roleplaying game. A game in which you assume a role and play it out.

You forgot about "playing doctor and patient" with your male friend, Bruce. That's the most important kind of roleplaying games and you probably enjoy it immensely.

Darth Roxor said:
When I get a time machine, the first thing I'm gonna do is go back to the moment the term 'roleplaying' game is invented and murder the person doing it.

:salute:

Make me a call if you need an accomplice.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Roleplaying game. A game in which you assume a role and play it out.

Why must there be a hundred different definitions for this? When I was 10, I saw the first "Die Hard," and for two weeks after that, I wandered around my house, gunning down imaginary Germans and muttering "Yippee-kay-yayy, motherfucker," under my breath. I was pretending to be John McClain, and, by definition, roleplaying. Stats didn't matter, a character avatar didn't matter, and the story didn't matter. It was just me shooting Germans.

WOLFENSTEIN IS AN RPG

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is like the time I had an angry conversation with someone about how the Zelda games aren't RPGs.

Yes, and no. mondblut's ass-hattery aside, the player defines the game, and a bunch of nitwits yelling at one another on a forum isn't going to change that fact. People have been doing that since the mid 80's when they got all pissy that someone was trying to make an RPG on the computer, instead of just playing pen and paper, the way it had been done since the 70's.

The medium is changing, and all the poo-pooing in the world isn't going to turn back time. That's what irritates me about the article to begin with. The "demise" of the "authentic" RPG? Please. It hasn't been "authentic" since first edition came out in '74, ffs. It's evolving, and you either dig the games and play 'em, or you don't. Sitting around in your commemorative Star Trek Commander's Chair and railing against the "decline" of this or that genre of game is about fucking retarded. It's a game. It's entertainment. Just like movies. I like "The Seven Samurai," but I also got a big old braindead kick out of "The Expendables." I'm not looking for a life-changing moment with either. I've been shot at, blown up, half-frozen, filthy, scared shitless, and I've gotten married, and had kids, so no form of entertainment is going to come remotely close to the amount of life-changing experiences I've had. I'm just looking for a good way to spend a few hours of free time while my daughter naps.

So guess what? The Mass Effect series is an RPG, and so is KOTOR, and The Witcher, and so is whatever game I deem worthy of the title. Anyone who feels compelled on a visceral level to beleaguer the point should probably take a Xanax.

Or 50...

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
No, guy's got a point.

I am so over these "what is an RPG" discussions. Who the fuck cares what box you stick a game into (or what it's labeled as on the box). It's a fucking video game that you'll either enjoy or not.

ME2 is a good game, I enjoyed (most) of it..... RPG?... I don't know and I don't fucking care. I know I didn't stop a few hours in and go "I'm not playing this shit anymore, it's not an RPG".

Sure, like most of the codex, I wish we had more "traditional/oldshool" RPG's (though, I'm not even sure what that means anymore), but it's not gonna happen. Not in the mainstream anyway. It's driven by the market and the fact is, the vast majority of people don't want them.

I was unfortunate enough to listen to an IGN podcast recently by five of the chicks on staff there. A reader sent in a question about this very subject ("where have all the authentic/oldshool style RPG's gone"). All five of these whores basically said "who cares, games like ME, DA, FO3 are the natural evolution of the RPG and are infinately better - no one want's to go back to boring TB/ISO crap".

Unfortunately, this is the general view of 95% of the mass gaming market these days. To them, we are the fucking wierdo, douchbag minority that want to return gaming back to the dark ages.
:x

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What the fuck do you negroids mean when you say that an RPG is a game with stats? Every game has stats. You have to have stats. Does anyone want to be more specific with what you mean by stats?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
mondblut said:
This thread has premises to setting new records in retardation.
First potemkin, now SuperNintendo Chalmers. Awaiting new moron.

mondblut

Arcane
The Mass Effect series is an RPG, and so is KOTOR, and The Witcher, and so is whatever game I deem worthy of the title.

What games you deem worthy of the title is very important to us.

Shut the fuck up.

Having the majority/mainstream believing in the contrary is not going to falter my confidence in my definition of RPG, and neither is an overabundance of games being marketed as more concentrated forms of Role-Playing than they actually are.

The world declines on the back of people like you. Request that your registration here be reversed and take to avoiding using your feeble mind in the presence of other humans in the future.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hai guyz whats goin on in this threat?

Oh, it's another "What can change the nature of the genre?" blah blah.

:mob:

OminousBlueDot

Educated
Hobo Elf said:
What the fuck do you negroids mean when you say that an RPG is a game with stats? Every game has stats. You have to have stats. Does anyone want to be more specific with what you mean by stats?

:retarded:

Data4

Arcane
And this is why subgenres exist. Diablo is a Hack & slash RPG. Stats matter, but the premise is beating the fuck out of monsters for loot. See? Wasn't so hard. There isn't an empirical definition for CRPG, so why beat a dead horse?

potemkin

Novice
First potemkin, now SuperNintendo Chalmers. Awaiting new moron.
You're saying I'm a moron because I'm saying some games you think are RPG arent? You can have fun with Mass Effect only if people agree that it is an RPG?

I've just defined a set of simple rules to say what is and isn't an RPG, I'm not defining which game is better! And these rules say that Fallout is an RPG and Mario isn't, so unless someone comes up with a game that is clearly an RPG for whatever reasons but wouldn't be according to my rules, I'm happy with it.

OminousBlueDot

Educated
You've been trolled, Potemkin.

Or at least I'd assume so, since the definition of RPG is largely personal and/or cultural, rather than something quantifiable.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
potemkin said:
And these rules say that Fallout is an RPG and Mario isn't, so unless someone comes up with a game that is clearly an RPG for whatever reasons but wouldn't be according to my rules, I'm happy with it.

No RPG definition that rules out dungeon crawlers is acceptable.

Excommunicator said:

Shut the fuck up.

Having the majority/mainstream believing in the contrary is not going to falter my confidence in my definition of RPG, and neither is an overabundance of games being marketed as more concentrated forms of Role-Playing than they actually are.

The world declines on the back of people like you. Request that your registration here be reversed and take to avoiding using your feeble mind in the presence of other humans in the future.

Someone needs a hug.

Sad to say it, but nothing you just said matters. The world is going where it's going, and there's nothing you can do to stop it, or more accurately: nothing YOU are doing is stopping it.

As for the rest of your "post," don't bother. I don't glean my sense of self worth from internet fuckwads.

OminousBlueDot said:
Hobo Elf said:

:retarded:

Marvel_Super_Heroes.PNG

Hey you guys ever played this game? When you pick up these gems, you get level-ups and your strength, defense, speed, etc. get bonuses, best RPG ever!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Excommunicator said:

Shut the fuck up.

Someone needs a hug.

Sad to say it, but nothing you just said matters. The world is going where it's going, and there's nothing you can do to stop it, or more accurately: nothing YOU are doing is stopping it.

Damn, now I see where we've been going wrong all this time. He's right, kids; everyone who disagrees with the Great Consensus should just sit down, shut up and accept whatever shit they're fed, because that is what the collective have deemed acceptable. Shut down the forum now, please, we see where we've been going wrong all this time. Everyone get in line to preorder Ass Defect 3 Collector's Edition; it's what real RPGs are made of.

Also, why are you here?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom