Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The "must plays" aka a plea from a newbie

JesusGreen

Novice
Alright so I've been a gamer since I got my first computer, I've played countless games both good and bad, and a trend I've noticed, particularly with RPGs, is that as time passes on, the majority of games see sequels that might be prettier - but lack a lot story and gameplay-wise when compared to their predecessors.

Of all the games I've played Arcanum has to be one of my favourites, if not my all time favourite, I've spent so many hours on that game and I've not even come close to completely it once simply because I've made so many different characters and got caught up in all the side quests - I've never tired of it even to this day.

I know FO and FO2 are similar but I haven't really given either a chance as FO doesn't seem to run on my machine and FO2's "hey lets put you into turn based combat the second you see an enemy" kind of put me off - I will reconsider them though if you guys think it's worth getting past initial hassle like that.

The thing is though, aside from Arcanum, the Exile series, Diablo II, and a few other RPGs that I'm most likely forgetting.. I don't really know many truly fun RPGs with actual depth, unlike Oblivion, Fable etc.

I've searched a long time for a good site for finding these kinds of games and I only recently stumbled upon RPG Codex, I've already downloaded a few oldies which I'm planning to try, but I thought it'd be good to make a simple topic and ask

- what are your must plays, it could just be one game, or it could be 10 - what are your favourite RPGs of all time that you think no true gamer should miss the chance to play? :)

Thanks in advance!

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
JesusGreen said:
Alright so I've been a gamer since I got my first computer, I've played countless games both good and bad, and a trend I've noticed, particularly with RPGs, is that as time passes on, the majority of games see sequels that might be prettier - but lack a lot story and gameplay-wise when compared to their predecessors.

Of all the games I've played Arcanum has to be one of my favourites, if not my all time favourite, I've spent so many hours on that game and I've not even come close to completely it once simply because I've made so many different characters and got caught up in all the side quests - I've never tired of it even to this day.

I know FO and FO2 are similar but I haven't really given either a chance as FO doesn't seem to run on my machine and FO2's "hey lets put you into turn based combat the second you see an enemy" kind of put me off - I will reconsider them though if you guys think it's worth getting past initial hassle like that.

The thing is though, aside from Arcanum, the Exile series, Diablo II, and a few other RPGs that I'm most likely forgetting.. I don't really know many truly fun RPGs with actual depth, unlike Oblivion, Fable etc.

I've searched a long time for a good site for finding these kinds of games and I only recently stumbled upon RPG Codex, I've already downloaded a few oldies which I'm planning to try, but I thought it'd be good to make a simple topic and ask

- what are your must plays, it could just be one game, or it could be 10 - what are your favourite RPGs of all time that you think no true gamer should miss the chance to play? :)

Thanks in advance!

Probably drog, but meh:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46288

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Now that's quality trolling.

The troll painstakingly created a character who was a gamer since he got his first computer (which might have been yesterday), hates Oblivion and the latest trends, loves Arcanum to death but never finished it (ADD?), genuinely interested in Fallout, but can't overcome his dislike for TB combat, and is looking for games with "actual depth", you know, like Arcanum and Diablo 2.

Bravo, good sir!

applause.gif

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
JesusGreen said:

Thanks in advance!

Brian Fargo recommends Icewind Dale. You must listen to Brian Fargo.

ElectricOtter

Vault Dweller said:
Now that's quality trolling.

The troll painstakingly created a character who was a gamer since he got his first computer (which might have been yesterday), hates Oblivion and the latest trends, loves Arcanum to death but never finished it (ADD?), genuinely interested in Fallout, but can't overcome his dislike for TB combat, and is looking for games with "actual depth", you know, like Arcanum and Diablo 2.

Bravo, good sir!

applause.gif
Don't forget the brief mention of the Exile series, hoping to catch the interest of some of the Spiderweb enthusiasts around here. Well played, Drog.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why doesn't drog troll gd as god intended? Why must he be so unnatural?

Reject_666_6

Arcane
JesusGreen said:

Thanks in advance!

The thing is that you're not going to find much agreement on what must be played, as there are many camps here that advocate one style of RPG over the others. You seem to like the isometric style RPGs and ARPGs, so you'd probably have the best experience with NWN2 right now. Play through the mediocrity, enjoy the trial section (hope nobody here will spoil it for you - that part really is p cool the first time you play through it), continue on mediocre game and then install Mask of the Betrayer and prepare to have your bricks shat. After that, play Planescape: Torment to shit what's left of your bricks.

If you're looking for combat, play Jagged Alliance 2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Icewind Dales and maybe Baldur's Gate 2.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
IP is Polish and comes up in a number of blacklists. E-mail is a free service provider. However, e-mail also comes up in google searches and matches what appears to be a valid role-player who dates back to pre-2007 (assuming you consider RuneScape to be a legitimate RPG). User's Time Zone matches Poland so if it's an alt, that's a nice touch (normally time zone mismatch + IP blacklist is a dead give away).

Now, given e-mail requires validation, there's an outside chance that user's e-mail expired and someone else has taken it over... But then if you're taking his e-mail, why not take his name as well to make it match? I also note however, that Poland is not the location given in places associated with this e-mail.

Also he's a Leo. I'm gonna say this one's *possibly* legit but will officially flag it as suspicious until further information is available.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't play anything as it's all shit. Ask every Codexer and you won't find a single game that is liked by all or even two thirds.

Antihero said:
ecliptic said:
If this is a troll, how is it trolling?

Don't you see? It would require posters to stop being edgy cunts long enough to point him to these types of threads:

The Nature of The Codex - 2010 Top 5 Results

RPG of the Decade - Developers' Choice

Diabolical in its simple cunningness.

Trying too hard to appease the oldfags. Put in the RPG GOTY of 2008 or 2009 list instead.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
commie said:
Don't play anything as it's all shit. Ask every Codexer and you won't find a single game that is liked by all or even two thirds.

I think everyone like (more or less but still like) Fallout, Arcanum and PST. And AoD combat demo :smug:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I've seen that almost exact same post before and it originally came from somebody who isn't even a teenager.

Weak attempt. Fuck you out of 10.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DarkUnderlord said:
IP is Polish and comes up in a number of blacklists. E-mail is a free service provider. However, e-mail also comes up in google searches and matches what appears to be a valid role-player who dates back to pre-2007 (assuming you consider RuneScape to be a legitimate RPG). User's Time Zone matches Poland so if it's an alt, that's a nice touch (normally time zone mismatch + IP blacklist is a dead give away).

Now, given e-mail requires validation, there's an outside chance that user's e-mail expired and someone else has taken it over... But then if you're taking his e-mail, why not take his name as well to make it match? I also note however, that Poland is not the location given in places associated with this e-mail.

Also he's a Leo. I'm gonna say this one's *possibly* legit but will officially flag it as suspicious until further information is available.
Now this is what I call background check. Big Brother is watching you JesusGreen.

JesusGreen

Novice
I guess I should have used search, but I was hoping for some up to date responses, including any newer games that match up to my expectations.

The thing is that you're not going to find much agreement on what must be played, as there are many camps here that advocate one style of RPG over the others. You seem to like the isometric style RPGs and ARPGs, so you'd probably have the best experience with NWN2 right now. Play through the mediocrity, enjoy the trial section (hope nobody here will spoil it for you - that part really is p cool the first time you play through it), continue on mediocre game and then install Mask of the Betrayer and prepare to have your bricks shat. After that, play Planescape: Torment to shit what's left of your bricks.

If you're looking for combat, play Jagged Alliance 2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Icewind Dales and maybe Baldur's Gate 2.

That's kind of why I asked, because I'm looking for games that'll jump right up to my top 5 within a couple of weeks of play, and for example with Arcanum, all the people I know who've played it either gave up after 5 minutes or loved it - I'm hoping the same is true of some of the other top RPGs.

Jagged Alliance 2 I know nothing about so I'll take a look at that, ToEE I've been interested in, I'll have to give Icewind Dale and BG2 a look too, but as a quick question - does BG2 have that annoying "Insert the next disc!" stuff that was always present in BG? That really annoyed me about the first game hah.

Combat I'm not too worried about so I'm definitely looking forward to playing Planescape, I've not got around to trying it yet but thanks for the reminder, I really want to see what all the fuss is about.

Not sure about NWN2 but I'll give it a try anyway, NWN was fun but it didn't really cut it for me, so I'm hoping NWN2 is a big improvement.

@Other responses - rather off-putting, but I guess there's a reason, if someone minds PMing (or posting here) what all this is about I'd be interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom