Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion skill list?

Tintin

Arbiter
Twinfalls said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
However, after further research and discussion, I agree that the term "hafted weapons" does indeed exist to distinguish axes and maces & such from bladed weapons.

Hooray! After spending all 2 pages of a thread on skills, we have determined absolutely nothing about an alternative name for an utterly daft conflation of skills.

Now - how about some 'research and discussion' on how it is that training with a dagger will raise your skill with a two-handed sword, but training with a two-handed axe will not.

Probably because a dagger and a sword are closer to each other than a dagger and an axe.

Dark Elf

Erudite
If you wanted to be a bit realistic about it, wielding a greataxe would lend more to your proficency in greatswords than any number of stabs with a dagger.

If you wanted to be even more realistic about it, you'd realise they're all quite different weapons and what a great idea it would had been for them to remain separate skills.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Keep in mind that I think the main source of reluctance in accepting the term "haft" in the name of a skill is that Bethesda is moving TES towards being more accesssible. The console audience doesn't know what "haft" means. They probably think it means something they have little choice in doing, i.e. I haft to take ritalin so I can pay attention in school.

Balor

Arcane
I think he's saying anyone who "bows to MFSD" is a rabid Elder Scrolls fan and thus must be thrown away into the Elder Scrolls forums.
Ho hum.
Well, good point, heh.
On the other hand, he kinda got to recognize somewhat ironical posts from actual groveling.
If you cannot see TEH IRONY in "It's nice to hear our oppinions heard and recognized for a change, though." followed by a *bow*...
Well, it's indeed good to see that he kinda NOT a complete dumbass, and hair-splitting to boot. (Talking about splitting hairs when you have axes listed in BLUNT, Satan take him!)
I also suspect that they considered hafted, yet:
The console audience doesn't know what "haft" means. They probably think it means something they have little choice in doing, i.e. I haft to take ritalin so I can pay attention in school.
So, they went with blunt.
Console audience knows blunt. In fact, that is something that is really close to them :twisted:.
Close and personal, you know.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
I haft to take ritalin so I can pay attention in school.

:lol:

Well, to be honest I knew the term had to do with weapons, but not in what context, so that's why I looked it up. Dictionary searches yielded the definitions I posted earlier, but Balor (and others) were insistent so I Googled "hafted weapons" and lo and behold, that means axes & maces & such.

And before you panic, I'm a programmer, not a designer. I've always been more into science fiction than fantasy anyway, so you'll have to forgive me for not knowing much about archaic weapons terms :)

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Saint_Proverbius said:

Well, to be honest I knew the term had to do with weapons, but not in what context, so that's why I looked it up. Dictionary searches yielded the definitions I posted earlier, but Balor (and others) were insistent so I Googled "hafted weapons" and lo and behold, that means axes & maces & such.

And before you panic, I'm a programmer, not a designer. I've always been more into science fiction than fantasy anyway, so you'll have to forgive me for not knowing much about archaic weapons terms :)

These ARCHAIC weapons are the basis of your entire game and you cant be bothered to read the website of a reenactors guild? :lol:

Lumpy

Arcane
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Saint_Proverbius said:

These ARCHAIC weapons are the basis of your entire game and you cant be bothered to read the website of a reenactors guild? :lol:
Since he is not a designer, and "hafted" has never been an ES term, he shouldn't have to read such a website. That's why they hire designers, you know.

Balor

Arcane
Yea, after all, actually giving that ignorant crowd a proper (not doubed-down) term or two will not hurt your sales, and will even each something to them.
And besides, they can always read a popup help that will explain that Hafted weaopons - means ones with a haft (long handle) and inlclude maces, axes, etc.
*shrugs*
You may be a programmer, MSFD, but I really suggest to talk to game designer about this :).

Chefe

Erudite
Balor said:
Ho hum.
Well, good point, heh.
On the other hand, he kinda got to recognize somewhat ironical posts from actual groveling.
If you cannot see TEH IRONY in "It's nice to hear our oppinions heard and recognized for a change, though." followed by a *bow*...
Well, it's indeed good to see that he kinda NOT a complete dumbass, and hair-splitting to boot. (Talking about splitting hairs when you have axes listed in BLUNT, Satan take him!)

I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or real. I just made a friendly suggestion if, in fact, you were the latter.

But I am glad that someone at Bethesda knows how to work the elusive "Google". I hope they use this amazing innovation to look up the word blunt.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
angler said:
But I am glad that someone at Bethesda knows how to work the elusive "Google". I hope they use this amazing innovation to look up the word blunt.
Don't be so blunt.

Chefe

Erudite
So now blunt encompasses dialogue too?

Man, it's just taking over everything!

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Balor said:
You may be a programmer, MSFD, but I really suggest to talk to game designer about this :).

I have, since the debate came up. One of the reasons I frequent this site is to learn more about RPGs in general. While I have spent a bit of time learning about Elder Scrolls lore and medieval history and legend, it's certainly not a job requirement for my position to be an expert in every facet of these. I know a tremendous amount in great detail about how the game's systems work, and have been programming for longer than some on this board have been alive. But I have a life and other interests outside of work and so haven't dedicated myself to the study of medieval history, fantasy and legend :)

Chefe

Erudite
[edit]RPGs aren't about being medieval.[/edit] In fact, I personally dislike the heavy medieval theme that has become synonymous with "RPG". The two examples I can think of right now are two of the best RPGs ever to grace gaming: Fallout and Arcanum (although Arcanum did feature medieval fantasy creatures, it had a 19th centure setting). Deus Ex is another one.

One direction I like the Elder Scrolls is going in lore-wise is making the Imperials more like the Romans, the Dark Elves seem to be slightly Arabic, and the Redguards are like pirates (in regards to the game Redguard).

RPGs are not about the setting, which is probably why there are so many bad games right now that call themselves "RPGs" since they have dragons, elves, and such. RPGs are about playing a role, and making choices that affect your character, but more importantly, affect the world in which your character resides.

Hell, maybe one day the stereotype of RPGs being all about elves, dwarves, and dragon slaying will be a thing of the past. People need to stop associating RPGs with high fantasy.

Like Balor said on the last page, it is good to hear some ideas being recognized.

triCritical

Erudite
It doesn't have unarmored and still does have acrobatics. Or does light armor include no armor? Why not just combine acrobatics with athletics, since jumping, running and swimming all sort of go together. Not to mention whats the point of having hand to hand combat, with no unarmored skills. Are the non-existants monks, and kung fu types going to fight in heavy armor?

I think combat screwed the most. And armorer is an OK trait I guess but probably could have been combined with security to create an engineering, or tinkering skill. I think Bethsoft seriously failed in finding the synergy in the MW skills and as a consequence eliminated skills that could make very different type of combat oriented characters and kung fu characters.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
angler said:
RPGs are more about medieval.

Of course they are. But I don't think it's necessary for me to take a crash course in nuclear physics in order to work on Fallout 3, either. :)

Chefe

Erudite
angler said:

I have no idea why I put that at the beginning. Ignore it.

What I meant to say was that RPGs aren't about a medieval setting, although they have become synonymous with it.

Edit: I edited it.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Tintin said:
Twinfalls said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
However, after further research and discussion, I agree that the term "hafted weapons" does indeed exist to distinguish axes and maces & such from bladed weapons.

Hooray! After spending all 2 pages of a thread on skills, we have determined absolutely nothing about an alternative name for an utterly daft conflation of skills.

Now - how about some 'research and discussion' on how it is that training with a dagger will raise your skill with a two-handed sword, but training with a two-handed axe will not.

Probably because a dagger and a sword are closer to each other than a dagger and an axe.

Are you fucking retarded? Read the words, one at a time. Training with a dagger will completely increase your two-handed sword skill. Training with a two-handed axe will not - not AT ALL. Understand? Under Oblivion's genius design, dagger skill is EQUIVALENT to two-handed sword skill, whilst a two-handed axe is NOWHERE NEAR.

Balor

Arcane
*Gets out from under table he rolled in a fit of hysterical laughter*
That's golden, brillian, platinum... nah, it's pure osmium :).

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
angler said:
Just for laughs:

Dictionary.com
1. Having a dull edge or end; not sharp.

Merriam-Wesbster
2 : having an edge or point that is not sharp

YourDictionary.com
1 Having a dull edge or end; not sharp.

Encarta
1. not sharp: having a cutting edge or point that is not sharp

AskOxford.com
1 lacking a sharp edge or point. 2 having a flat or rounded end.

Wordsmyth.com
1. having a dull edge or point; not sharp.

Bartleby.com
1. Having a dull edge or end; not sharp.

InfoPlease.com
1. having an obtuse, thick, or dull edge or point; rounded; not sharp: a blunt pencil.

OneLook.com
1. Having a thick edge or point, as an instrument; dull; not sharp.

The 1913 version of Webster Dictionary
1. Having a thick edge or point, as an instrument; dull; not sharp

Rhymezone.com
adjective: used of a knife or other blade; not sharp

AllWords.com
said of a pencil, knife or blade, etc: having no point or sharp edge.

LookWayUp.com
[a] used of a knife or other blade; not sharp.

Blunt vs Hafted? I choose Hafted.

triCritical

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
angler said:

Of course they are. But I don't think it's necessary for me to take a crash course in nuclear physics in order to work on Fallout 3, either. :)

AGHHHH

See, already I am scared. For FO it would be more advantageous to read up on mid 20th century pop culture and sci-fi, along with perhaps sociology. The only Nuclear physics you need for FO is none. And the sort of stuff that might be useful, would probably be restricted by US energy department, since China stole all our secrets.

Tintin

Arbiter
Twinfalls said:
Tintin said:
Twinfalls said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

Are you fucking retarded? Read the words, one at a time. Training with a dagger will completely increase your two-handed sword skill. Training with a two-handed axe will not - not AT ALL. Understand? Under Oblivion's genius design, dagger skill is EQUIVALENT to two-handed sword skill, whilst a two-handed axe is NOWHERE NEAR.

Are you fucking retarded? Read the words, one at a time. Probably because a dagger and a sword are closer to each other than a dagger and an axe.

You - see. There - are (pronounced "r") - two (pronounced too) skills for weapons (pronounced wepuns) - so if you have two (pronounced too) skills - it would make more sense (pronounced like cents) to put a dagger (dag-gur) and sword (soared) together than a dagger (dag-gur) and an axe (acks). That's all you asked, not whether it made sense or not.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Tintin said:
Are you fucking retarded? Read the words, one at a time. Probably because a dagger and a sword are closer to each other than a dagger and an axe.

You - see. There - are (pronounced "r") - two (pronounced too) skills for weapons (pronounced wepuns) - so if you have two (pronounced too) skills - it would make more sense (pronounced like cents) to put a dagger (dag-gur) and sword (soared) together than a dagger (dag-gur) and an axe (acks). That's all you asked, not whether it made sense or not.

As I thought, you're retarded.

Let's take this nice and slow, Tintin - I can't do TES board ADD speak, but give this a try, anyway.

Here's my comment:

[why is it that] training with a dagger will raise your skill with a two-handed sword, but training with a two-handed axe will not..

And here's your response:

Look at the second part of your comment. "...than a dagger and an axe."

Now look at my comment again. And try to explain:

What the FUCK has the non-similarity between a dagger and an axe got to do with this? What I said was that training with a two-handed axe will not increase your skill with a two-handed sword

Anyone with more than three functioning neurons left can see that I am talking about the similarity between a two handed axe and a two handed sword being greater than the similarity between a dagger and a two handed sword.

NOT any fucking similarity between a dagger and an axe. Why the fuck would I say that? There is no such issue with Oblivion's design - it is blades which have been lumped together, and this is the design problem. What the FUCK makes you think I am asking for axes and daggers to be lumped together as well?

Christ All-fucking Mighty

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom