Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can We Get Another Turn-Based CRPG Already?

I don't give a fuck what is anime and what is simply a japanese game. You people need to stop bringing it up, because it is totally fucking irrelevant.

This is about art "style". Not cultural terminology.

@ Black Cat

Simple answer - a mature style is one that can be used as an effective context for the presentation of mature themes of a variety confluent with that artistic style

The fact that you actually trying to tell someone else that they could be wrong on the topic of style shows your completely primitive way of thinking.

Style is obviously a matter of interpretation. It is a matter of interpretation that I would say one is mature and another not, and an interpretation based upon the way that style deals with the presentation and communication of themes that can also be described as mature. It is a matter of consistency, aesthetic, psychology, morality and a whole lot of other things that you probably need to learn more about.

It is really no surprise that some people are simply better at interpretation than others.

spekkio

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
It is really no surprise that some people are simply better at interpretation than others.
Are you Drog?

:(

Don't tell me you're Drog!

:cry:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finally we are free from the turn based shackles of technological limitations and are to enjoy full potential of real time gameplay, and you want it to go back to ancient times, YOU FOOLS!

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
Some people are simply better at interpretation than others.

I concur. An excellent example of this can be found with the renowned critic Roger Ebert, who recently was unfairly harangued by the unwashed sheep of the internet when he gave his experienced interpretation of games as art.

markec said:
Finally we are free from the turn based shackles of technological limitations and are to enjoy full potential of real time gameplay

If pong was turn based would games have even been invented? I think not. Turn based games are a violation of natural gameplay and owe the privilege of their existence to real time systems.

Black Cat

Magister
@ KalosKagathos

And that's why ChibiKalos is awesome.

:love:

It's pretty surprising how obscure the game's in the west given how pretty and unique everything is, and how well the game does that which it tries to do, be it narrative from multiple perspectives, combat system, atmosphere, style, etc. And let's not forget best soundtrack ever while we are at it. Maybe because it's kind of touching and it has fairies, and you need to be extreme and grimdark to be popular on this half of the world, right now. :roll:

And it makes one wonder where all the hot knight-like guys with glasses are actually hiding, gaming needs more guys like Keats instead of the stupid jerks we are getting as protagonists.

@ Excommunicator

If it's a matter of interpretation, as you say, then whether you find one style mature or immature is unimportant to an argument, given it's no argument, just a declaration of taste, which wasn't really on topic when seen in the context of Mirror-Kun's arguments. If you come and try to argue things from a subjective point and using subjective examples then you will get subjective answers.

Also, in which way does Warhammer or Ravenloft art styles become an effective context for the presentation of mature themes while anime isn't? Again, you are saying one style is, in your interpretation, able to be mature and the other, in your interpretation, isn't, but you are interpreting it so because of something. So show us those evidences that make it so to your eyes, so we can answer with counter evidence, if present, of those styles you deem unable actually exploring mature themes in ways deeper than those you give, or not. You can argue style is subjective, yes, but you can't argue the depth and complexity of the threatment given to a topic you deem mature is subjective.

In other words, your opinion of a style can be subjective but the study of the present examples of mature topics, whatever you deem them to be, being given a mature threatment, whatever you deem that to be, isn't, as that can be easily compared.

Also, if intepretation is, as you say, subjective, how can people be better at interpretation than others? If some do it better than others then there's something objective to reach, in there, and therefore it is possible to quantify what there is and what there isn't to see how much is objectively there to understand or not. So make up your mind, is style something subjective, and thus only how you interpret it matters, or it has an objective meaning against which the intepretation of each individual can be compared to see whether it is better or worse than any other's?

mondblut

Arcane
Black Cat said:
You can also show me how Warhammer and Ravenloft are settings of truly mature depth and art styles.

Hey, Pauldronhammer is obvious but what's your problem with this?

header.jpg

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
That's pretty hot. I'm not sure what's supposed to be mature and intelligent and deep and Michaelangeloesque about it, but it looks cool. I think the only Japanese game I've actually liked the visual design of was Okami. I'm probably still a weeaboo or something, though.

mondblut

Arcane
Lonely Vazdru said:
Too much green.

That's a website header collage joining together a slew of (originally not green) figures from book covers. It just saved me time from posting a shitload of standalone pictures.

But I guess you know of it and are just being "witty" :smug:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Yes I was. :oops:

It's a nice picture actually, even though I'm not too fond of Ravenloft's "Hammer horror" general atmosphere. I'm more of a "Dark Sun" complexion.
benaia10.jpg

PEACE !

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There is anime and there is anime. I have no problem with something in the visual style of say Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop or Jin-Roh, but this childish crap makes me puke instantly and any game that goes for it is right out. Unless you have a fetish for teletubbies, this shit cancels out any possible awesome gameplay the moment you boot the game. Graphics whoring has nothing to do with this, growing out of diapers and baby bottles has.

Tolknaz said:
There is anime and there is anime. I have no problem with something in the visual style of say Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop or Jin-Roh, but this childish crap makes me puke instantly and any game that goes for it is right out. Unless you have a fetish for teletubbies, this shit cancels out any possible awesome gameplay the moment you boot the game. Graphics whoring has nothing to do with this, growing out of diapers and baby bottles has.

:lol: . Spoken like a true Bioware fan.

MY ORC-BASHING ELVEN BARBARIAN MAIDEN IS MORE GRITTY AND MATURE THAN YOURS BECAUSE YOURS HAS GOOGLY EYES

Johannes

Arcane
What's up with all this maturity crap? Sure I get liking one art style better than another, and this affecting the choice of what you play but...

Simple answer - a mature style is one that can be used as an effective context for the presentation of mature themes of a variety confluent with that artistic style
So does having such style matter unless the game tries to presentate some mature themes? Or are IWD and DoW actually tackling some mature themes (what exactly are mature themes?)? Or is mature just your way of saying you subjectively like something?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Lonely Vazdru said:
spekkio said:
@ LV: same problem as with Ex - have you played any japanese games?
No. I don't fancy anime styled games and I hate consoles. End of story.

v20.jpg

Say that again into Pigoliny very face. That is if you dare to piss that girl that caused people on the whole planet change into pigs because they adored her.

I never used any console, and I played Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross. What would be your next excuse? Lack of time?

Project: Eternity
Hey.
You're all acting pretty retarded, except for Black Cat, that person seems to be making some pretty damn valid points, but since we're talking about art style, this is Zeno Clash's art style:
s33626_pc_2.jpg

zenoclash_corwids.jpg

ZenoClash-999.jpg_626.jpg

I think it's REALLY awesome. Does anyone know some other games that look like that (no recommending Planescape: Torment, anyone who hasn't played that doesn't deserve to be here)?

Miew

Novice
Seems to me like people here are having their wires crossed.
"Mature" is such a broad term. Some seem to think immature or childish imagery is something aimed at children, or something that looks like it could be drawn by children. Hence they think that detailed renderings and lighting and such will make a picture more mature. I can't say I'd object to that, though others might, and they'd probably have their points as well.

Also, why do people think Warhammer is "immature"? I'd call it hackneyed, maybe. It probably wasn't even that hackneyed when it was first conceived, too. Maybe it's not meeting everyones requirements for being exactly mature either, but does that make it immature?

As for anime style, it seems to me that some people just hate anything that looks cute, or like it's meant to be cute. (To prove me wrong, I'd like all anime haters to post pictures of what they think is cute. Photos of kitten, puppies and such excluded. =) I mean things that could appear in a (mature) game as well.)
Can something be cute and mature at the same time? If not, how do those two contradict each other?
You could, in theory, tell a very deep and meaningful story while using only pokemon as protagonists. *shrugs*
How mature would that be? Is it even worth discussing?
Bottom note is that some people resent certain art styles and no argument in the world can make them think otherwise. Just like I can't talk you into liking chocolate if you don't.

Black Cat said:
If it's a matter of interpretation, as you say, then whether you find one style mature or immature is unimportant to an argument, given it's no argument, just a declaration of taste, which wasn't really on topic when seen in the context of Mirror-Kun's arguments

Wrong. An element of subjectivity does not automatically cancel out an element of objectivity (Objectivity here is limited to empirical things for the sake of this discussion, forget philosophy). Maturity is not something pulled out of nowhere, and it certainly isn't a term invented by some monocled Englishman to disparage the interests of common folk. It has a basis in human (and animal) physiology, and it serves a very important developmental purpose. Maturity as a psychological concept can be seen in the most primitive sense in the way children (see: immature humans) interpret information, and the way simplified symbolism including exaggeration and caricature are processed by children. Children don't behave this way because we patronise and indoctrinate them. They do it because it is a survival mechanism to aid in learning.

If you don't understand that, and you want a crash course on it then go watch some children programs and observe the psychology at work. You will see mature psychology at work in a context of the most basic and immature artistic styles.

If you come and try to argue things from a subjective point and using subjective examples then you will get subjective answers.

I wouldn't expect you to give anything other than subjective answers obviously. I am fine with that so long as you understand the topic, but I don't think you do understand.

Also, in which way does Warhammer or Ravenloft art styles become an effective context for the presentation of mature themes while anime isn't?

I didn't say anime art was completely unable to present mature themes. The key here is "themes of a variety confluent with that artistic style". If you try to present themes relating to war and starvation with pokemon, unless you are trying to make some satirical remark (which IMO would still be inferior), then it is typically going to look ridiculous, and lose its effect, specifically the mature portrayal of a topic which requires a mature mentality to properly understand. If you use the Ravenloft artistic style to show a campsite full of poor, barely-alive desert folk in sore need of water, then it will look appropriately harsh and serious. Anime can show mature perspectives on certain things, but it will almost always be inferior to an artistic style specifically designed to be mature, which anime is most certainly not.

If you want to argue that anime isn't based on and developed from what was initially a childish and/or immature style, and that it doesn't carry some of that stylistic portrayal even in more mature productions (as a specific case of trying to be loyal to the artistic style), then you lack the core understanding, and we have nothing to discuss here.

Again, you are saying one style is, in your interpretation, able to be mature and the other, in your interpretation, isn't, but you are interpreting it so because of something. So show us those evidences that make it so to your eyes, so we can answer with counter evidence, if present, of those styles you deem unable actually exploring mature themes in ways deeper than those you give, or not.

My interpretations would be based primarily on classical symbolism, which itself is something developed through human psychology including survival instincts, wisdom, and indeed, sometimes simply taste. To deny that taste can't be 100% separated would be incredibly naive. I also know I have a much better judgement and instinct than you do, as evidenced by this discussion. Disagree all you want.

Also, if intepretation is, as you say, subjective, how can people be better at interpretation than others?

An element of subjectivity does not automatically cancel out an element of objectivity. In this case perception is playing some role on the objective side. It is the person's ability to notice and identify different sensory elements that gives their interpretation the basis on which to function. If you can't see these things as they are empirically presented, then you are inherently inferior at interpretation.

It is the same as someone who can't see colour or long distances. If you can't see those things and the person next to you can, you are inherently worse at observing the world around in those ways than he is, whether you like to admit it or not. The chances are, that inferiority is going to result in a weaker interpretation of the world around you.

It is a very simple idea.

If some do it better than others then there's something objective to reach, in there, and therefore it is possible to quantify what there is and what there isn't to see how much is objectively there to understand or not. So make up your mind, is style something subjective, and thus only how you interpret it matters, or it has an objective meaning against which the intepretation of each individual can be compared to see whether it is better or worse than any other's?

Yes it is often very quantifiable. As I explained. Unfortunately for you, my points do not contradict one another as you want them to.

The biggest problem with you is that you take it personally that your favourite styles are seen as less mature or even immature, and then you try to get intellectual about and ignore your own instinct just to feel better about yourself on the matter.

The fact that you would immediately jump on Warhammer (which I will admit is overall less mature than Ravenloft, but certainly mature in certain ways) as being clearly immature shows how weak your attempt at objectivity is. You want to try to be counterculture in your analysis, but all it does is make you look pathetically biased.

Are we going to sit here and pretend that the artists were not aiming for a certain thing when they came up with the various artistic styles? Most of the artists responsible for the things being discussed (including even the anime) I am quite sure are skilled and experienced and are quite aware of the styles they used, and the way people are likely to interpret them, including the apparent level of maturity in their art.

You know it is quite okay to be seen by other people as having less mature tastes in things? You sound like one of those die-hard fans of a particular author who argue in the most academic and scientific way about the authors creations in the face of any kind of criticism, going so far as to build a whole web of internal logic to defend the content/author, and then the author comes along and gets asked a question about it and hes like "What?? Oh no, I didn't even think about those details! I just put that into the book because it seemed cool at the time!".

Such a response is hiding an unsophisticated approach to design, but not so much as it is hiding a very elementary understanding of style and symbolism.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Not going to interfere in your dick-waving contest much, except for this:

If you try to present themes relating to war and starvation with pokemon, unless you are trying to make some satirical remark (which IMO would still be inferior), then it is typically going to look ridiculous, and lose its effect, specifically the mature portrayal of a topic which requires a mature mentality to properly understand. If you use the Ravenloft artistic style to show a campsite full of poor, barely-alive desert folk in sore need of water, then it will look appropriately harsh and serious. Anime can show mature perspectives on certain things, but it will almost always be inferior to an artistic style specifically designed to be mature, which anime is most certainly not.

Totally wrong. What you claim is only true for you personally, because your brain associates animu with Saturday morning fluffly kiddie cartoons and Ravenloft/WH40k art with the emo/grimdark-lore you got familiar with as a teenager. So different associations, nothing more. Reverse the associations and your opinion would be completely opposite. Nothing objective or measurable in that paragraph.

I, for example, didn't watch animu as a kid, thus I don't automatically associate it with purely children cartoons and even though I haven't seen that many films/shows, I'm aware that the same "art style" can be used to convey a very wide range of themes and/or emotions.

Furthermore, outside of cubism and such, no "art style" is inherently better or worse for conveying themes than others. It all depends on how it's used. Naturally, we usually associate bright colours with happy things and black/grey with sad things but that's about the extent. Large eyes do not automatically mean cute/kiddie-stuff, just as earthy/washed out colours does not automatically mean gritty/mature-stuff - even if the associations in some people's brains are wired purely that way.

Mackerel

Augur
The "kawaii" culture running through Japan is pretty disturbing, I have to admit. It seems to taint virtually everything they produce, and it's not just a visual movement.

MetalCraze

Arcane
malko_sundervere said:
Hey.
You're all acting pretty retarded, except for Black Cat, that person seems to be making some pretty damn valid points, but since we're talking about art style, this is Zeno Clash's art style:
s33626_pc_2.jpg

zenoclash_corwids.jpg

ZenoClash-999.jpg_626.jpg

I think it's REALLY awesome. Does anyone know some other games that look like that (no recommending Planescape: Torment, anyone who hasn't played that doesn't deserve to be here)?

That art style looks terrible. It looks like the recent next-gen cartoon trend with lots of random shit thrown together for the sake of randomness and looking different. In short - they are trying way too hard.

The real art style know how left gaming years ago it seems.

Project: Eternity
MetalCraze said:
That art style looks terrible. It looks like the recent next-gen cartoon trend with lots of random shit thrown together for the sake of randomness and looking different. In short - they are trying way too hard.

The real art style know how left gaming years ago it seems.
That doesn't answer my question at all.

GarfunkeL said:
Not going to interfere in your dick-waving contest much, except for this:

If you try to present themes relating to war and starvation with pokemon, unless you are trying to make some satirical remark (which IMO would still be inferior), then it is typically going to look ridiculous, and lose its effect, specifically the mature portrayal of a topic which requires a mature mentality to properly understand. If you use the Ravenloft artistic style to show a campsite full of poor, barely-alive desert folk in sore need of water, then it will look appropriately harsh and serious. Anime can show mature perspectives on certain things, but it will almost always be inferior to an artistic style specifically designed to be mature, which anime is most certainly not.

Totally wrong. What you claim is only true for you personally, because your brain associates animu with Saturday morning fluffly kiddie cartoons and Ravenloft/WH40k art with the emo/grimdark-lore you got familiar with as a teenager. So different associations, nothing more. Reverse the associations and your opinion would be completely opposite. Nothing objective or measurable in that paragraph.

I, for example, didn't watch animu as a kid, thus I don't automatically associate it with purely children cartoons and even though I haven't seen that many films/shows, I'm aware that the same "art style" can be used to convey a very wide range of themes and/or emotions.

Furthermore, outside of cubism and such, no "art style" is inherently better or worse for conveying themes than others. It all depends on how it's used. Naturally, we usually associate bright colours with happy things and black/grey with sad things but that's about the extent. Large eyes do not automatically mean cute/kiddie-stuff, just as earthy/washed out colours does not automatically mean gritty/mature-stuff - even if the associations in some people's brains are wired purely that way.

Hah. You literally don't know what you don't know.

Also:

zenoclash_corwids.jpg

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom