Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Glorious PC gaming master race

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
AdmiralHugbunny said:
  • Linux isn't an operating system, but rather an operating system kernel. If you're unhappy with the UI, please redirect your butthurt rage towards KDE, GNOME or whatever windowing manager it was that made your ass sore.
Is there any window manager that works as fast as Win98?

AdmiralHugbunny said:
  • WINE does not demand significantly more resources for running Windows crap on Linux because it isn't an emulator. Rather, it's a compatibility layer designed to make applications think they're running under Windows. The applications run on the actual hardware, not emulated by software.
Except that in many cases they are run much less efficiently than on a Windows computer. While some games work much faster under WINE than their Linux versions, there are games and programs which work much slower under WINE than under Windows.

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Is there any window manager that works as fast as Win98?
Yes and no. The UI managers are written as user-space applications under Linux, as opposed to being an integral part of the kernel as in Windows. For this reason, Linux UI performance would have a hard time matching that of Windows. It's a matter of philosophy, priorities and design that isn't expected to change. Linux doesn't prevent anyone from creating a kernel-space UI system though.
That said, I find that tiling window managers like awesome are very convenient to use once you've gotten the hang of them. There's no more clutter and much less mouse use. This system, coupled with a powerful shell makes Linux a much more productive workstation than anything Windows can deliver.
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Except that in many cases they are run much less efficiently than on a Windows computer. While some games work much faster under WINE than their Linux versions, there are games and programs which work much slower under WINE than under Windows.
Nothing is without a cost and translating between the Windows API and the Linux one certainly isn't, but I have managed to run several AAA games (WoW being one) using WINE or Cedega with satisfactory results. This does require quite a lot of tinkering though, so it isn't for everyone.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
AdmiralHugbunny said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Nothing is without a cost and translating between the Windows API and the Linux one certainly isn't, but I have managed to run several AAA games (WoW being one) using WINE or Cedega with satisfactory results. This does require quite a lot of tinkering though, so it isn't for everyone.

His specific problem has to do with a missing (DIB engine) subsystem in wine that give 2d performance in windows (it's a optimization, that is hard to integrate in wine, since it would require copying code from x11).
I've been bit by that before, on some 2d games (ironic that), that are already slow in windows. But my computer is much more recent so it doesn't matter as much.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
AdmiralHugbunny said:
Windows's greatest strength and worst flaw is that it lacks standards and contains a lot of provisions for supporting old, legacy crap.
Your post Just Got Better :smug:

Fun little exercise: look up Edlin in your Windows folder. If you have any of the 32-bit versions*, it'll be there. It won't run, but it's STILL there.

Windows is the very definition of old legacy crap.

* I was certain it was in the 64-bit ones too but I can't find it in my Vista folder as we speak.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
AdmiralHugbunny said:
Even on the level of a simple user, using any UNIX system demands a fair bit of knowledge, engagement and enthusiasm from the user. [/list]

Pretentious is when something requires knowledge, engagement and enthusiasm as an end onto itself. When something can yield similar results with a fraction of the effort i'd call that efficient, not popamole. We are talking about an operating system here, which is a mere instrument, a mean to an end.

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
Lyric Suite said:
Pretentious is when something requires knowledge, engagement and enthusiasm as an end onto itself. When something can yield similar results with a fraction of the effort i'd call that efficient, not popamole. We are talking about an operating system here, which is a mere instrument, a mean to an end.

It doesn't require knowledge as an end onto itself. Linux's evolution over the years was directed in such a way that making it accessible wasn't a concern at any level. Linux started out as a student's hobby project and grew to become a pretty decent operating system kernel in which many individuals and organizations are invested professionally and personally.

This puts Linux in a position where natural (and artificial) selection make it better software for a lot of different uses. Gaming isn't one of them. Get over it. You can call it pretentious all you want, but you'd be missing the point that instruments sometimes have a learning curve. Besides, some people are obsessed with physical instruments as well, like guitars, vehicles or cocks.

My glorious master gaming PC runs Windows exclusively, although I am somewhat of an engaged and enthusiastic Linuxfag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom