Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

7hm

Scholar
So far on my HeWz I've found the ring of robustness (+8 AC), a +3+3 ring of slaying and the +8+8 storm bow (elec). I'm going ash though, so until I build up some stong piety I can't be flipping back and forth with the bow.

Also found a helmet of intelligence. Just started Lair.

Ashery

Prophet
Yeesh said:
Ashery said:
Hey Yeesh, guess what I got from my scroll of acquirement when I suggested armor ;p
Is it something to wear on your hands that makes you more agile?

We have a winner!

Sad part is that it's actually a substantial improvement over my old ones. Tons of jewelry, but armor was hard to come by until I cleared Elf:5 (On a DEWi, my MDFi is still alive and well, just taking a break).

7hm

Scholar
dextermorgan said:
Fuck this game and its random kobolds wielding swords of distortion.

Fuck.

:x

Brutal :/

As a follow up to my guy. He's found nothing else. Bah. Cleared lair too, except for the final hell chamber... wasn't too confident in my ability to survive hellions.

Ash is super though. Such an awesome god.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Fuck. Got too cocky with my DDNe and was promptly blasted to hell by a couple of dark elves at the last level of the Elven Halls. Best character so far, level 19 with good skills and I had just finally begun to find some of the better spell books. Farewell brave trooper. :salute:

7hm

Scholar
Update coming, promise.

Also...

Sword of the Jihad

+12,+10 long sword of holy wrath, berserkitis, rN+, MR, EV+3, and stealth-. In trunk (which I'm playing) its a eudemon blade.

I'm going to die because of the *Rage. I'm wearing an amulet of stasis...

It's just too good to not use...

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That one I think is a non random artifact. I personally like swords of power (+20/+20 or more depending on your current max hp and current hp).

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also a tip about acquirement: if you really want to get something USEFUL then acquire rods. Rods are fucking awesome and very very rare. They add some magic for mellee characters and some versatility for mages.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
7hm said:
Haba said:
God damnit, Demonspawn of Trog gets so boring at endgame. And the fact that even plate mail is like paper doesn't really help much. I am seriously considering quitting this char and starting a new one.

Don't quit. Do something crazy if you're getting there. Go drink mutation potions and kill ugly red things or whatever and munch on them until you're either a warped monstrosity with Tourette's Syndrome or you develop the ability to teleport at will and control said teleportation.

Worst. Advise. Ever.

mutations.jpg

abstract

Scholar
Yay just lost a lvl12 paladin due to massive retardation on my part. I actually thought to myself "hey I should be able to take out that mushroom no problem with 10hp, right?". Well wrong, dumbass! :godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:

7hm

Scholar
Haba said:
7hm said:
Haba said:
God damnit, Demonspawn of Trog gets so boring at endgame. And the fact that even plate mail is like paper doesn't really help much. I am seriously considering quitting this char and starting a new one.

Don't quit. Do something crazy if you're getting there. Go drink mutation potions and kill ugly red things or whatever and munch on them until you're either a warped monstrosity with Tourette's Syndrome or you develop the ability to teleport at will and control said teleportation.

Worst. Advise. Ever.

mutations.jpg

You poor bastard. :(

Ashery

Prophet
So, yea, make sure you train up traps early on.

Just hit a Zot trap that was conveniently located under a handful of gold pieces.

It cast me into the Abyss.

Should be interesting (Only my second trip here, and the first was on a much weaker character).

Edit:

So, after a random teleport that landed me four tiles from the exit, I got randomly teleported again after taking a single step.

It's all the fun of Xom without having to worship'em :love:

7hm

Scholar
I wish I was better... I'm pretty sure that the character I have now could be taken into the endgame with ease by someone who knew what they were doing.

Level 20, but I just raped Snake:5 without any rP. Have both Shoals and Snake now. Not enough resists though... need to work on that.

Still depending on my amulet of stasis and the sword of jihad, which concerns me. It's just so damn powerful though. :/

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
That and the fact that things vulnerable to draining in melee aren't enough of a threat to bother draining. It's not like you're going to drain a hydra to death before it kills you. And if you're in melee range of a wizard he's dead anyways. The only things it'd work on that you'd need the help are dragons and giants, and they got so many hp draining would take forever, so your weapon damage is so low that an extra 25% from a vorpal or brand is less than draining, you should be running away anyways.

Yeesh

Magister
Ugh, my 17 DDNe just got his ass HANDED to him by Agnes. Had to burn TWO blink scrolls just to get away, since swiftness is a joke compared to Very Fast speed.

She was immune to vampiric draining or something, which is an awful shame since that spell works great when you're heavily damaged, and boy was I. But it just said "Nothing appears to happen." I've never seen that before.

So I need experience, and I don't want to go deeper into the dungeon. How dangerous is this anti-scumming ood-monster-spawning timer? Can you beat it by moving from level to level? I just need some kill power on this guy, and every time I meet a unique I have to run for my life. God help me when I get deep enough to face type 1 demon summoners.

Zomg

Arbiter
She is probably wearing robes of life protection or an N+ artifact.

Don't know shit about scumming except I always get screwed by centaurs and cyclops on D:1 when I'm trying to scum mummies up and then I'm all mummies go to hell.

7hm

Scholar
Yeesh said:
Would you ever use a weapon of Draining for your primary attack? The loss of experience would make that stupid, right?

I was using a short sword of draining for most of the game, until I found the sword of jihad.

Someone in the somethingawful thread posted the math. It's a pretty minor difference to experience, and most pronounced on stuff like goliath beetles that you have to hit a ton of times.

It does extra damage and is better than no brand. It's not like you're going to go one on one against hydras anyway (usually). Depends on build too.

Yeesh

Magister
Yeah, I have an electric axe I'll keep using instead; not much seems immune to that and I'd have to level up another skill to use the randart draining sword I was looking at.

Speaking of randarts, I've visited 45 levels, and only found one worth keeping. So I just used a scroll of acquirement for "Armour", and Wow! I didn't get gloves of dexterity! A randart!!

Code:
You start putting on your armour.
You continue putting on your steaming cloak.
You finish putting on the -2 cloak "Croad" {Str+2}.
You feel stronger.
Oh.

7hm

Scholar
Yeesh said:
Yeah, I have an electric axe I'll keep using instead; not much seems immune to that and I'd have to level up another skill to use the randart draining sword I was looking at.

Speaking of randarts, I've visited 45 levels, and only found one worth keeping. So I just used a scroll of acquirement for "Armour", and Wow! I didn't get gloves of dexterity! A randart!!

Code:
You feel stronger.
Oh.

Play with Ash as your god.

It makes a huge difference being able to ID things without wielding them.

Also, you know you can Ctrl-F "artefacts" to see any you may have missed, right?

Yeesh

Magister
It's not cursed, it just sucks.

May have missed? Jesus, man. All I want from life is white loot with funny names. I haven't missed any. But that's a good tip!

I'm still wary of trunk. I don't mind playing a beta release, but if my only ascension came from some god or race or abilities that got toned down later in release, would that still count as a full-fledged win? I dunno.

The question is academic. I don't know what I'm doing anyway. Winning is laughably unlikely.

7hm

Scholar
Yeesh said:
It's not cursed, it just sucks.

May have missed? Jesus, man. All I want from life is white loot with funny names. I haven't missed any. But that's a good tip!

I'm still wary of trunk. I don't mind playing a beta release, but if my only ascension came from some god or race or abilities that got toned down later in release, would that still count as a full-fledged win? I dunno.

The question is academic. I don't know what I'm doing anyway. Winning is laughably unlikely.

I mean take ash because you get to see all kinds of item properties that you wouldn't otherwise. You don't need to wield every single sword (and chance getting a distortion brand) to find a good one, you just pick them up.

And damn right it counts. :)

I think it's far enough in to the testing that it's more about small balance tweaks and bug fixing at this point as opposed to major issues. And really, stuff doesn't seem to even get to the main release, even trunk, unless it's fairly well balanced to begin with.

Ashery

Prophet
Yeesh said:

Code:
You feel stronger.
Oh.

Man, what's with our shitty scroll of acquirement luck?

After spending 1020 gold on this fucking scroll, I got some +0 randart gloves with -4str, +1damage, and curse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom