Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age II Definitely Not As Dumbed Down As Mass Effect

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p><a href="http://kotaku.com/#!5764293/dragon-age-ii-definitely-not-as-dumbed-down-as-mass-effect" target="_blank">Let Kotaku assure you</a> that <strong>Dragon Age II</strong> will by no means be as dumbed down as Mass Effect - a game which actually wasn't dumbed down but streamlined - if for no other reason than if you press a button something awesome happens. Did something awesome happen everytime you were pressing a button in Mass Effect? I don't think so.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Two days ago, after watching some fast combat in Dragon Age II, I found myself staring at a menu screen in Dragon Age II. What I saw was not simple and certainly not over-simplified. What I saw was something that might stress a Mass Effect player, that might sail over their head.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>I predict whatever he saw isn't over the head of anyone, except maybe gaming journalists.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The screen I'm going to describe is the game's Tactics menu. It's beneath the game's hood and can be ignored by those sword-swinging, button-mashing new fans BioWare might gain with its streamlined, faster-fighting sequel. The Tactics menu isn't there for those new gamers. It's for the old-school, for the kind of person in this world who knows keyboard shortcuts and has at least once fixed a TV for a relative simply by properly using the machine's menus.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>It can be ignored if you're willing to button-mash? Surprise.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/?rwsiteid=1#16784">RPGWatch</a></p>

Coyote

Arcane
Re: Dragon Age II Definitely Not As Dumbed Down As Mass Effe

VentilatorOfDoom said:
The Tactics menu isn't there for those new gamers. It's for the old-school, for the kind of person in this world who knows keyboard shortcuts and has at least once fixed a TV for a relative simply by properly using the machine's menus.

Being capable of reading manuals is considered old-school now?

racofer

Thread Incliner
My TV has menus?

But back on topic, the only things DA2 has in common with Mass Effect are the dialog wheel and fully voiced main character. Everything else is pretty much like DA:O, but people had to make a lot of noise because of these two features and draw conclusions such as "OMGZ DA2 IS MASS EFFECT IWTOUT GUNZ FFS BIOWRE DUM DOWN!!" - now we see this was nothing like what people believed it to be. Bioware initially said they were getting some ideas off Mass Effect but it would still be Dragon Age, but nobody listened and Bioware stopped bothering explaining what they had changed and shrugged the haters off.

This was actually quite a smart move though, making everyone believe their game to be as bad as people expect it to be and then it turns out to be what they hoped for since the beginning.

DraQ

Arcane

hurf durf said:
Two days ago, after watching some fast combat in Dragon Age II, I found myself staring at a menu screen in Dragon Age II.
Blank stare. #1 typical symptom of a damaged mind, if there is any.

What I saw was not simple and certainly not over-simplified.
Uh, no.
No matter how much it may seem to be the case for impaired minds, blandness is not an indicator of complexity.

What I saw was something that might stress a Mass Effect player, that might sail over their head.
Hardly an achievement.

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
If we take his word concerning an actually complex tactical option at face value (which I don't, but sake of argument here), but the game can be easily beaten by those utilizing PRESSATTACKPRESSATTACKPRESSATTACK strategies... wouldn't it defeat the entire purpose? Tactical complexity is only worthwhile if the game is balanced around it, applying it to a game winnable by button mashing would only serve to make the game laughably easy in reference to whatever difficulty setting it's on (which Origins already was).

Incidentally, my roommate plans on buying this shit for the 360, so I may end up filming him playing it and doing a Let's Play of me mocking and deriding him for his poor taste and impaired decision-making capabilities. Or murdering him with a fork.

Deleted member 7219

Stephen Totilo is one of the most stupid people on the internet. I don't think he understands the concept of 'dumbing down'.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
The section I'm going to describe is the car's dashboard panel. It's beneath the automobile's windscreen and can be ignored by those wheel-spinning, pedal-mashing new drivers Ford might gain with its streamlined, faster-moving new model. The dashboard panel isn't there for those new drivers. It's for the old-school, for the kind of commuter in this world who knows speedometers and has at least once fixed a toilet for a relative by properly using the bathroom's plunger.

:hmmm:

DraQ

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
The section I'm going to describe is the car's dashboard panel. It's beneath the automobile's windscreen and can be ignored by those wheel-spinning, pedal-mashing new drivers Ford might gain with its streamlined, faster-moving new model. The dashboard panel isn't there for those new drivers. It's for the old-school, for the kind of commuter in this world who knows speedometers and has at least once fixed a toilet for a relative by properly using the bathroom's plunger.

:hmmm:
:lol: :salute:

SolipsisticUrge said:
DraQ said:
SolipsisticUrge said:
Or murdering him with a fork.
True Codexer would use a spoon.

Alas, one so feeble as I can only revere and aspire to such heights, and ape those elements of greatness within my limited grasp.
Are you sure you can't at least use a spork?
:/

Project: Eternity
otiIJ.jpg

Luigi

Barely Literate
novelist > failed novelist > successful skriptwriter > hobby/article writer > english major on welfare > fanfic writer > dicksmoker from rpgcodex > gaydar > senior executive kitchen director

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Now even the use of the term 'dumbed down' is dumbed down. ME 2 wasnt even dumbed down. It was indeed simplified. Compared to Infinity Engine games DA:O was dumbed down and it sounds like this is true with DA 2 with the way their handling friendly fire.

SAGO

Barely Literate
KOCKTACKU SERVING AS A ADVERTISING FRONT FOR THE GAYMING INDUSTRY?

GOOD HEAVENS ABOVE!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

VentilatorOfDoom said:
The Tactics menu isn't there for those new gamers. It's for the old-school, for the kind of person in this world who knows keyboard shortcuts and has at least once fixed a TV for a relative simply by properly using the machine's menus.
What the :retarded:

How? how do these people work? How can someone who finds using the TV menu to be complex and old-school and daunting sit and down and PROGRAM A FUCKING VIDEO GAME?

For that matter how did the consolfags who supposedly find the tactics and TV menus to be of the same complexity manage to hook up their console to the TV in the first place.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

DraQ said:
True Codexer would use a spoon.
Why a spoon boss?

SAGO

Barely Literate
DraQ said:
SAGO said:
KOCKTACKU SERVING AS A ADVERTISING FRONT FOR THE GAYMING INDUSTRY?

GOOD HEAVENS ABOVE!
Excuse me, but whose drog are you?

I AM A TRAVELLER ON THIS INTERNET. A WANDERER. I HAVE BEEN EXILED FROM THE BIOWEAR FORUMS FOR MY RAGE AND CAPS. THE TRANNY MODERATOR, SEAGLOOM TOOK MY CAPS. SO I RAGED. (EVEN THOUGH I LOST MY CAPS LOCK)

THEN CHRIS PRIESTLY, FAT CUNT EXTRADONAIRE WARNED ME.

I RAGED AGAIN AND WAS BANNED. I HAVE BEEN WANDERING IN SEARCH OF A HAVEN WHERE ONE CAN RAGE AND USE CAPS AND TALK ABOUT RPGS.

RPGCODEX IS THAT HAVEN. RAPTURE.

:love:

SAGO

Barely Literate
sgc_meltdown said:
SAGO said:
RPGCODEX IS THAT HAVEN. RAPTURE.
:love:

You have a long way to go before you're even a poor man's Blobert.
:rpgcodex:

WHOEVER HE IS, I WILL STRIVE TO BE TRU AND HONEST ON THIS FINE SITE.

DON'T EXPECT ME TO DO LPS THOUGH. THAT IS TOO MUCH EFFORT.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
To be fair to DA2, I don't care if it was dumbed down or not.

After playing DA1, I won't play DA2 unless the encounter design is much better than DA1 AND the writing is better. Bonus points if the combat is more complex/interesting.

So far I haven't seen any of those things, though.

Edit: Also, a villain who doesn't act like a complete and total retard from pretty much the first time you see him onward. And less plot holes. You know what, fuck it. They'd have to go pretty far to get me to play DA2.

a budda

Arbiter
why do we even care? why am i posting here?
:x
hope dies last?
i'm not even torrenting this dragon may cry
go away, there are many better things to do, nothing of interest here
let's better joke about ass effect 3

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom