Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Autotargeting confirmed in Skyrim

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Dyskolos said:
I see this ending up the equivalent of the open oblivion gates floating about without anyone in the world seeming to care. .

Typical of the codex, judging a game before it's even out. See, I can predict things too, but with a positive mindset:

-You may not fast travel to this location because it is under Dragon attack-

"I can't talk to you right now, there's a dragon attacking us!"

I'm confident that many more consequences like this will be had. I'm not a professional game designer so I bet Bethesda can do even better.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nah, they'll probably just be scripted to kill unimportant NPCs that will respawn in 3 days. Which is fine with me.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Nah, they'll probably just be scripted to kill unimportant NPCs that will respawn in 3 days.

You sure about that bro? Respawning npcs will be very unimmersive in a fantasy world simulator such as this.

No, what happens is that they will be knocked unconscious and unable to get up from their beds.

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
Why would anyone actually care about Elder Scrolls after the abomination that was Oblivion is beyond me. If anything it's going to be worse than its predecessor, both in quality and hype.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
They had the unimportant wandering npcs get killed by oblivion gates, so I don't see why they couldn't put in a little extra effort and extend it to cities this time. They seem to give more of a fuck about little details like that this time with the (supposed) unique cities, clans, dungeons, etc.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
tarkin said:
Why would anyone actually care about Elder Scrolls after the abomination that was Oblivion is beyond me. If anything it's going to be worse than its predecessor, both in quality and hype.

Oblivion was no morrowind but still better than the rest of the shit out there. I'll settle for a mediocre elder scrolls than 10 shitty witchers/dragon ages

octavius

Arcane
Patron
tarkin said:
Why would anyone actually care about Elder Scrolls after the abomination that was Oblivion is beyond me.

Because it's just about the only way to get your 1st person view sandbox single player fantasy CRPG fix?

Leimrey

Educated
This is somewhat similar to the autotargeting system in “Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood.”
I don't know about Brotherhood, but combat in AC2 was a one huge reaction-based minigame. There was absolutely no skill involved, no positioning or maneuvering needed as long as you could press the "instakill" button in time. I really hope that Skyrim will not follow AC2 example.

Players will be unable to block attacks if they are wielding a weapon in one hand and a spell in the other. Only players who wield two handed weapons or a sword and shield can perform blocks.
Wat? What if I want to use a single one-handed sword without a spell in my other hand? The absence of any news on evasion moves also worries me.

Archers will be able to hold their breath–an action which consumes stamina–while aiming in order to increase their accuracy. This ability is similar to the sniping abilities in games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and the Call of Duty series.
Sounds pretty good. Archers will now have to actually set ambushes and use alchemy/magic extensively to engage multiple enemies, instead of backpedalling like retards.

Archibald

Arcane
Dyskolos said:
Dragon encounters will not be scripted events. These Dragons may attack towns and cities during its travels, which may cause it to be set ablaze.

I see this ending up the equivalent of the open oblivion gates floating about without anyone in the world seeming to care. Clearly they won't actually allow the towns/cities to burn in full and all the quests be lost so there will just be flaming houses that are magically repaired in x hours followed by perhaps a few radiant references to the recent dragon attack tragedy in which no one died and nothing was lost. Bethesda seems to learn from its most glaring mistakes only in that it doesn't make the same exact ones again. They never actually recognized the retard principles at the heart of the mistakes.

Well they already said that if you kill quest giver then his friend will pop out and give you the quest instead so i wouldn`t be surprised if they do die and their wife/cousing/butbuddie appears after few days instead.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Leimrey said:
This is somewhat similar to the autotargeting system in “Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood.”
I don't know about Brotherhood, but combat in AC2 was a one huge reaction-based minigame. There was absolutely no skill involved, no positioning or maneuvering needed as long as you could press the "instakill" button in time. I really hope that Skyrim will not follow AC2 example.

Now if it is like the AC2:Brohood then all it means is that it will prioritise enemies over civilians in a fight.

Like if you wanted to throw a dagger at an advancing enemy that was not your main target you could do so easy with out worrying about the camera locking on some random NPC in the area.

NPC's would still get hit if they got in the way.

Also a side thing.
I have noticed that Bethesda have managed to releases more press materiel that sounds good then bioware have managed to for DA2

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Archibald said:
Well they already said that if you kill quest giver then his friend will pop out and give you the quest instead so i wouldn`t be surprised if they do die and their wife/cousing/butbuddie appears after few days instead.

I killed your friend and now that you've found me you want me to do the same thing your dead friend asked me for?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
iTxai.jpg

Ghoulem

Erudite
I want my games to have bubonic plague in them with the possibility that all humanoids will die and never respawn or be replaced.

Dyskolos

Cipher

Yeah thats a good point and likely what they'll do. But I'm still just extremely doubtful of how they'll handle the transitions from dragon attack to town on fire/damaged to town normal again. Its one of those press conference ideas that people always latch onto during the hype machine days but are nearly impossible to deliver on in any satisfactory way and so just end up taking away from the game. see radiant ai. [/quote]

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
CrimsonAngel said:
Leimrey said:

Now if it is like the AC2:Brohood then all it means is that it will prioritise enemies over civilians in a fight.

Like if you wanted to throw a dagger at an advancing enemy that was not your main target you could do so easy with out worrying about the camera locking on some random NPC in the area.

NPC's would still get hit if they got in the way.

But that makes sense in a third person console game where the terrible controls make it impossible to hit where you want to and you keep hitting the wrong people and pissing them off...

But why would it make sense in a FIRST PERSON GAME?

And I answered myself while I was typing this, CONSOLES.

Anyway, it's fun to see how the Codex falls into it's own demise, ignoring it's own canon of hating everything that Oblivion represents, with some people still being hyped by Skyrim...

Ah, the irony

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Berekän said:
But why would it make sense in a FIRST PERSON GAME?

And I answered myself while I was typing this, CONSOLES.

Your answer is retarded and you're a dumb faggot. Morrowind/Oblivion and now Skyrim have a third person mode which was pretty shitty in the first two precisely because you could swing right through shit if your invisible cursor wasn't on them. This will make the gameplay feel more like a 3rd person rpg like divinity 2.

Achilles

Arcane
I'm going to give the game a fair chance. I like the Elder Scrolls lore and after Oblivion my expectations are quite low so I won't be massively disappointed like I was during the Morrowind-to-Oblivion transition.

Radisshu

Prophet
I'm imagining an NPC raking just behind a large dragon attacking another pair of NPCs currently engaged in a very disjointed conversation.

Still, my hopes for this game are seriously higher than my hopes for DA2, but I guess that's not saying a lot.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
turn_based_fanboy said:
raw said:
Andyman Messiah said:
The dungeon has been described by Bethesda as “terrifying.”
:lol:

Terrible is the word they were looking for.

Nah terryfing is good word. After Oblivion and F3 I'm too terryfied to even touch any game they make.

sup skyway

tennishero

Novice
ppl dont realise they love a game somtimes

so consumed with hate

first play thru of oblivion at some point i wondered why i was playing after 10 hours- it had actually been 50 hours

after modding the game it was closer to 500 hours and about 90% of the mods to go

(i installed 50 gb of quest mods)

never beat oblivion, kept getting side tracked

it still holds up well today

mondblut

Arcane
Autotargeting? That means no more fucking FPS faggotry and only character skill accounts for tohit? That's a massive incline. Five more iterations and they might actually go turn-based.

SAGO

Barely Literate
DIDN'T THEY ALSO SAY THEY WANTED TO MAKE THE GAME MORE REALISTIC?

AUTOTARGETYING IS NOT REALISTIC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom