Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 subtitle + artwork

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
:bounce:

Loved Risen, but now with a renaissancepiratey setting to make it fresh it's gonna fucken' ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCKKK almost as much as TWitcher 2!

Multi-headed Cow

Haven't played Risen, but pirates and muskets for an RPG sounds :bounce: worthy.

:bounce: :M :bounce:
Parrot likes to watch.

made

Arcane
Heh. Anyone remember this cartoon?

laserdisc-front.jpg

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
made said:
Heh. Anyone remember this cartoon?

Yeah, it's already been mentioned a couple of times in this thread as a matter of fact. Meh, my younger brother used to watch it on Saturday mornings, but it came out a little to late to hold my interest. I wasn't really paying much attention to cartoons by that point. Seemed pretty epic though from what I can remember - with a continuous plot and all that. Most if not all of the crappy cartoons I used to watch were one-shot self contained episodes.

genci88

Educated
Alright. Who else will specialize in guns on their first play-through?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I didn't really enjoy the archery in Risen personally. But I'm more of a bash the fuck out of you with my big weapon kind of guy anyways.

Black

Arcane
Jaesun said:
I didn't really enjoy the archery in Risen personally. But I'm more of a bash the fuck out of you with my big weapon kind of guy anyways.
You're dom?

Black

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Black said:
Jaesun said:
You're dom?

Oh no. I just like roleplayering one in rpg's. :oops:

You know, you can role-play in real life, too!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As much as I love gaying up stupid fucking theads in GRPGD, this is however a Risen 2 thread (and thus not fucking retarded).

So let us continue the circle jerk love that is Risen 2!

Maybe Bioware could learn something from PB?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe it was not obvious to Codex hivemind, but guns are replacing archery. :smug:

Phelot

Arcane
Grunker, the main problem with DA2 is it's obvious dumbing down from DA1. What I find despicable about Bioware is their current habit of "hooking" people onto their games and then rushing a dumbed down sequel out the door.

Risen, and by extension the Gothic games have for the most part always been consistently the same thing. I don't remember anyone here ever claiming Risen to be a hardcore RPG. In many ways.

And the combat is pretty simple, but simple doesn't mean easy. It's a nice challenge which is something lost in many newer games.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
toro said:
Maybe it was not obvious to Codex hivemind, but guns are replacing archery. :smug:

That would be bad. I mean you can shoot with a bow much faster than with early guns, these guns should have slow reload time. On the other hand guns would be much more deadly, and penetrate armours without problem while arrows would have a huge problem penetrating heavy armours, especially from a longer distances.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU, Kai Rosenkranz won't be doing the music for Risen 2.

++++FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU, who WILL do it, however, will be the same guy who did the (completely fucking forgetable and unnoticeable) music for Arcania.

:x :x :x

genci88

Educated
Darth Roxor said:
FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU, Kai Rosenkranz won't be doing the music for Risen 2.

++++FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU, who WILL do it, however, will be the same guy who did the (completely fucking forgetable and unnoticeable) music for Arcania.

:x :x :x
That's a fucking shame. I loved Kai's music. :(

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
My cock has Risen in excitement.

I was pleasantly surprised with Risen, I didn't expected much from it but it turned out to be VERY enjoyable game. Not a proper rpg, mind you, but an action rpg done right. Problem is I'm fucking piss poor at the moment and I don't think my PC would be able to handle Risen 2 so unfortunately I will have to skip it, at least for a few months/years after release.

But crap, those screens with firearms looks good...

Radisshu

Prophet
I never played Risen, but does this mean the setting has taken a big leap in time from the first game?

Radisshu said:
I never played Risen, but does this mean the setting has taken a big leap in time from the first game?

Not necessarily in time but in technology, but perhaps not such a huge leap since there were cannons in Risen after all. Though I'm thinking that an evolution of science caused by the lack of magic might have happened. Remember how they got the magic from the "holy flame" in Risen? Since that Flame was of that fire titan magic might not be very common in Risen 2. On the other hand they pulled a "magic is gone from the world" thing in Gothic 3 and it was still easily available, arguably even easier to get hold of than in Gothic 1/2 where it required you to join a specific faction.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Darth Roxor said:
- Same character tree as in Risen [which does seem iffy if they're adding guns, methinks]
Meh. They've changed the stat system for every game, and now they're keeping the haphazard mess they used in Risen?

What I find particularly irritating is that they've talked so much about the cool "mini-talent" aka perk system Gothic 3 ended up not really having and now they actually have those perks - like Counter Parry, Charged Attack, etc. - and cram them into skill lists.

Plus, in Risen they took tight control of learning magic again, which I've always hated. I want to learn Runes NOW, dammit! Not when I find another stupid stone tablet in an area accessible only if I proceed with the main quest.
:rage:

Darth Roxor said:
- The protagonist has 'seen things' and become a drunkard bum.
Heya level-reset!
icon14.gif

torpid

Liturgist
Aside from the obvious pirate angle, have there been any more details on the story? Because it kinda feels like a reboot (not that that's a bad thing, as Risen's pirate quest line was one of the more entertaining part of the game): the main character has grown a beard, all of a sudden guns are a part of the setting, and there's no sign of any Titan. According to the previous game, the entire world except for the island has been overrun by Titans, and it's heavily implied that their conquest was very destructive. And yet no sign of any destruction in the screenshots, only lush, tropical islands. Again, I won't complain -- the Titan stuff was pretty weak, especially with the lack of backstory in the game. Midgame, you were suddenly told by the Inquisitor: "the Gods have left, now the Titans have come." Okay Boss. Whatever you say. Who do I kill?

Shannow

Waster of Time
The the Gods have left. Came completely out of the blue. Just so coincides that it's (one of the possible) ending(s) of Gothic 3... Yeah, too bad Risen lacked backstory... :roll:
Didn't like the whole Titan thing either. And yeah, it sounded like "world is fucked. the island is the last safe haven". I'd still like to mention that nature "can" (not always) recover from widespread destruction very quickly. 5-10 years in a tropical climate wouldn't stretch my credulity too much.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, if the main character wasn't retarded he wouldn't sacrifice the whole world for one small island. He should have join inquisitor instead, what I really really wanted but noo... making two choices at the end of the game was too much :|

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom