Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age II Definitely Not As Dumbed Down As Mass Effect

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Compared to Infinity Engine games DA:O was dumbed down"

Compared to Infinity Engine games DA was smartened up.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
OSD menu
serious business
:retarded:
raduga704_3.jpg

Volourn said:
"Compared to Infinity Engine games DA:O was dumbed down"
Compared to Infinity Engine games DA was smartened up.
Oh Volourn, you are so pretty. Like constantly hissing stray cat. :love:

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
The only problem is. What's the point in using tactics and strategy if you don't have to? If you can just smash buttons to win then having a tactics option is just... a novelty?

Unless the difficulty scales in a way that gives a need for a tactical system. IE in 'tactical mode' it would be completely impossible for someone to button smash their way through it. I mean absolutely don't even try impossible.

I did enjoy the fights in DA:O a lot of them I found fairly challenging. One instance: Fighting that dragon bitch for the first time. I really had to stop and come back to it. I tried a few times before I really gave it a good attempt. Eventually, I found that the Indomitable skill was the key to success. At least for me. Also, I really liked how some spells worked in conjunction with others to be more powerful.

Point is: some fights you could turn on your scripts and they'd play out flawlessly and some fights you had to turn them off and micromanage every move to win. How can that aspect of the game be carried over to DA2 if people can just button smash? It's pretty damn insulting, but whatever. It's all about sales and money and the next big contract, so fuck it. The RPG glory days died with Troika.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Xor said:
To be fair to DA2, I don't care if it was dumbed down or not.

After playing DA1, I won't play DA2 unless the encounter design is much better than DA1 AND the writing is better. Bonus points if the combat is more complex/interesting.

So far I haven't seen any of those things, though.

Edit: Also, a villain who doesn't act like a complete and total retard from pretty much the first time you see him onward. And less plot holes. You know what, fuck it. They'd have to go pretty far to get me to play DA2.

I don't expect any of that. I plan on playing extreme HAWKe and laughing at Bio's bad writing and moronic plotholes. If I can stomach the gameplay for more than an hour I'm sure Daatoo can deliver.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I never played much of it, and am sorry to bring it up here, but in Fallout Tactics, you could play Real time, or Turn based, am I correct? Now, I had a friend explain to me that playing it in turn based made the game ridiculously unchallenging, vs real time where it was moderately challenging. I dont trust his judgement as he likes the popamole, however having the option to swap between modes has already been proven to be broken if the game is not designed to play differently. So button mash through combat on easymodesuperstreamlined shit, or Tactical combat to make the fights even more trivial? I smell much derp, and an excuse from Bioware to drop any pretence of tactical combat because (future quote) 95% of our customers didnt play Tactical mode (omitted reason being that button mashing was not only faster, but the game was not challenging that Tactical was not required)

Then the gaming press will herald the end of Tactical combat and rejoice about those bad years of Turn Based combat and how the first games only used TB combat because of gaming limitations (like pong, right?)

Just more manoeuvring to introduce a new low in lowest common denominator market share.

torpid

Liturgist
And there's always a bigger retard. From the comments to that article:

I am shocked that you didn't put "dumbed down" in quotations. That combined with the air of condescension this article was written in is a huge turn off.

Good heavanz! Pass the smelling salts.

Fowyr said:
Oh Volourn, you are so pretty. Like constantly hissing stray cat.

:lol:

curry

Arcane
Re: Dragon Age II Definitely Not As Dumbed Down As Mass Effe

VentilatorOfDoom said:
The screen I'm going to describe is the game's Tactics menu. It's beneath the game's hood and can be ignored by those sword-swinging, button-mashing new fans BioWare might gain with its streamlined, faster-fighting sequel.
VentilatorOfDoom said:
new fans BioWare might gain with its streamlined, faster-fighting sequel.
VentilatorOfDoom said:
streamlined

FUUUU_RE_FFFFFUUUU_Pizza-s508x387-44250.jpg

a budda

Arbiter
the funny thing is one consolefag reviewer at polish consolefags site polygamia totally seriously said: "i like it, it's a nice slasher"

so pretty please stop crying already, bioware is not an rpg developer, even consolefags know it

Dragon Age 2 is simply a masterpiece. This could be the greatest game ever made until Mass Effect 3 comes out. With every game they make they fill the genre with innovation and push the genre forward.

Gord

Arcane
Pika-Cthulhu said:
Tactical combat to make the fights even more trivial?

If it's meant to be easily beatable in real-time, then yes, TB is going to make them trivial.
This is mostly because you have much more time for optimizing your characters actions.
Real time in FO Tactics always felt like giving up a lot of control to me, generaly resulting in more damage taken (I used it only to clean up left over enemies or when a fight wasn't very hard but drawn out).

But with TB, trash mobs are actually going to be a REAL pain in the ass, as it would take ages just for the first couple of meters in that demo.

Then again, you could just leave out the trash mobs altogether.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished the demo 5 times and I've noticed the fighting is actually pretty much the same as DA:O, they just made the attack animations more over the top. It still takes forever just to kill one guy.

Big Nick Digger said:
Dragon Age 2 is simply a masterpiece. This could be the greatest game ever made until Mass Effect 3 comes out. With every game they make they fill the genre with innovation and push the genre forward.

Just a few steps more ;)
grand_canyon_overlook.jpg
[/img]

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Mastermind said:
It still takes forever just to kill one guy.

I believe this is what industry experts call 'epic battles'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom