Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What Gaider thinks of their player base's intelligence

DraQ

Arcane
Mastermind said:
http://forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=660418&forum=135&sp=30

[box]Like Mary said, some of them just didn't sing and dance for us. That and we don't like to name parts of the world after real places -- that's confusing to the people who know about them.[/box]

:lol:

:retarded: [----------------------------------------------------------------]

SAGO

Barely Literate
I GET IT. BIOWEAR THINKS ITS FANS ARE RETARDED.

WELL, THEY ARE. THEY HAD TO STREAMLINE THE STREAMLINING.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
In Fallout 3 there's an NPC called Stockholm in Megaton (he is outside in one of the crow's nests). As someone who lives in Sweden I was shocked and confused that he wasn't the capital city of my fair misguided country. This thread has inspired me to write an angry letter to Bethesda now to tell them that Bioware actually cares about the stupid retards that buy their games. (Or maybe not.)

From an intellectual viewpoint the thread is as interesting as a car accident. It's fascinating stuff that says a lot about David Gaider and his colleagues.

Mary Kirby said:
You start out with the plan for a plot that includes some old, cranky NPC woman named Getrude, but when you write her, she turns into a young airhead. Now, "Gertrude," really doesn't sound right at all...
Why not? Is it because you're a shallow wreck who believes that women named Gertrude are born old? Or that when women grow older they have to adapt and pick a less "young" name?

I wish I could post on that forum. I have needs.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Andyman Messiah said:
Mary Kirby said:
You start out with the plan for a plot that includes some old, cranky NPC woman named Getrude, but when you write her, she turns into a young airhead. Now, "Gertrude," really doesn't sound right at all...
Why not? Is it because you're a shallow wreck who believes that women named Gertrude are born old? Or that when women grow older they have to adapt and pick a less "young" name?

Bioware. Just.... wow.

:salute:

Lets not forget we live in a world where the majority of gamers think Bioware are the best writers in the industry.

made

Arcane
I don't get it. Is that an ironic jab at Bio ripping all their location names from RL places, like Kirkwall and Orleons?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
made said:
I don't get it. Is that an ironic jab at Bio ripping all their location names from RL places, like Kirkwall and Orleons?

Bioware player detected. :smug:

I see your Gaider and rise you another:
David Gaider said:
Upsettingshorts wrote...
I'm confused by the anger. Bioware's not a charity, it does not make games for a specific group of people. It makes games. Some people buy them, some don't. That's how it works and it's how it's always worked.

There's nothing to be confused by.

People become fans and they start to feel ownership-- either way it's an emotional investment in where they game goes. We ask for that, so it's hardly like we can resent getting it.

Do some people take it too far, into entitlement? Sure. But I don't think it's too crazy to want to be the one that a game developer courts when they're putting together a game. Who wants to feel like an outsider, especially when you felt like an insider previously-- whether that's a valid conclusion to make or not?

It gets weird when someone takes that emotional investment to the extent that they express their disappointment as hurt... like they've been dumped by their girlfriend/boyfriend-- or like a developer has been cheating on them. That's weird. But I don't think it's confusing.

So it's official - if you are a bioware fan, Bioware is your boyfriend.
u9ME9.jpg

20 Eyes

Liturgist
we don't like to name parts of the world after real places -- that's confusing to the people who know about them.

Why is this insulting? He could have worded it more precisely, but he's right. If Bioware named a fantasy city 'Atlanta', some people would likely associate it with the actual city on some level.

If anything is insulting to his fan's intelligence, it would be his need to even explain that.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
20 Eyes said:
we don't like to name parts of the world after real places -- that's confusing to the people who know about them.

Why is this insulting? He could have worded it more precisely, but he's right. If Bioware named a fantasy city 'Atlanta', some people would likely associate it with the actual city on some level.

Which is only confusing if you're an utter irredeemable idiot.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
20 Eyes said:

If anything is insulting to his fan's intelligence, it would be his need to even explain that.
Confusing is definitely a wrong word here, but some people do find references to real places, countries, and civilization in a fantasy game jarring and immersion-breaking.

mondblut

Arcane
I sure as hell wouldn't accept any fucking Atlantas and New Yorks in my Generic Fantasyland #47945. Anyone who would even consider that for a moment was probably dropped on their head after birth.

Minor german towns are a-ok, though. Who'd say some Mecklenburg or Preussen would sound out of place in my Generic Fantasyland? Well, except Mecklenburgians and Preussenites perhaps, but who cares about their peasant opinions?

Exmit

Scholar
oh wow, Kodex never ceases to amaze me :lol: the ultimate playground of the inane and mentaly ill.

catfood

AGAIN
In Fallout 3 the name of the vampire underground base was Mereşti, which is a town in Romania. Imagine how confused I was I almost sued Bethesda.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't understand... is town in Romania a Vampire? And Swedish capital an NPC? I'm confused :retarded:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Konjad said:
I don't understand... is town in Romania a Vampire? And Swedish capital an NPC? I'm confused :retarded:

In your case it has less to do with being a Bioware fan and more to do with the fact that you're Polish. :smug:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Those daring enough, who defy Bioware's decisions, are cast into the Presley Pit and devoured alive by the abomination that resides in that foul place.

Antihero

Liturgist
Andyman Messiah said:
Mary Kirby said:

That's stretching it. I'd be surprised if English were the only language where certain names are less popular now than they were a generation or two ago. So people with those names are more often associated with older people, or the period those names were more popular in. Meanwhile, some common names seem to be practically timeless.

It doesn't mean you can't give them those names, and a similar made-up fantasy name might not even have that problem, but it could still carry certain overtones reminiscent of real-life names. Or it might makes things slightly less bland.

But alas, if only more older women would get with the times and choose younger sounding names as they invariably age. But they just don't have enough shame nowadays.

bhlaab

Erudite
I'm making a fantasy rpg where every location is named Detroit, I'm calling it Ultima 10

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Antihero said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Mary Kirby said:

That's stretching it. I'd be surprised if English were the only language where certain names are less popular now than they were a generation or two ago. So people with those names are more often associated with older people, or the period those names were more popular in. Meanwhile, some common names seem to be practically timeless.
Timeless, of course, in a fantasy setting filled with ancient gaelic names that in modern times were only popular exactly one day between 1963 and 1981.

Now unless you're going to read between the lines leave me be. I'm trying to be unreasonably hateful here.

edit:
Nael said:
Nael confirmed as jealous. You can't lie to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom