Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age II Review Tidbits

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Gamestar and PC Games, two german gaming magazines, both did a <strong>Dragon Age II</strong> reviews recently, <a href="http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6105728" target="_blank">and a user on the Bioboards translated some bits</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span style="font-weight: bold;">PC Games gave it 88, pros and cons:<br /></span><br />+ very well told hero story<br />+ varied followers, each with their own stories<br />+ great dialogs with moral decisions<br />+ exciting boss battles<br />+ martial-arts-fans should have great fun with possibly the fastest (or fast paced) battles in a fantasy game<br /><br />- ...but old-school RPG&nbsp;players might have their problems with the flurry of activities in battles<br />- limited class progression with fixed skilltrees<br />- poor level design with one-to-one copy-pasting of whole quest areas (do they mean, some areas are a carbon copy of each other???)*<br />- unsatisfying ending<br /><br /><span style="font-weight: bold;">Gamestar gave it 87, pros and cons:<br /></span><br />+ thrilling storyline<br />+ great dialogs and quests<br />+ coherent / consistent game world<br /><br />- some fiddly battles<br />- less epic as DAO<br /><br />Their conclusion: great RPG, slightly weaker than DAO<br /><br /><br />*&nbsp;Okay, according to someone who's got the magazine, with 1:1 copy-pasting they refer to quest areas for sidequests, which Bioware seem to reuse, that is, they take one area, slap a different name on it and sell it as another area. They gave an example (i'm translating here, dunno if the names in english are correct): there is an area called Wilmod's Camp and another one called Fortified Caves, both identical.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>A score of 88/100 for the next AAA BioGame? That's harsh.</p>
<p>Also, "but old-school RPG&nbsp;players might have their problems with the flurry of activities in battles." Well, that's where the super-tactical tactics screen comes into play. With all the annoyances removed (friendly fire and so on) you can just set up your tactics, i.e. massively nuke anything, and then go back to the tactical combat action immediately. And with tactical combat action I do mean you watch your characters doing the fighting for you, maybe you mash a button here and there. That's how I imagine it, but maybe I'm wrong.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16790">RPGWatch</a></p>

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Okay, according to someone who's got the magazine, with 1:1 copy-pasting they refer to quest areas for sidequests, which Bioware seem to reuse, that is, they take one area, slap a different name on it and sell it as another area. They gave an example (i'm translating here, dunno if the names in english are correct): there is an area called Wilmod's Camp and another one called Fortified Caves, both identical.
Hey, look, it's ME's prefabbed mine #2 all over again.

But then, I prefer distinct well-made locations being repeated a few times than NWN's tiled dungeons that all were bland and samey-looking.

Not that DA:O had distinct, well-made locations. At least I don't remember any. I only played through one and a half main quest locations, though.

A score of 88/100 for the next AAA BioGame? That's harsh.

That's actually really good news for those who have a vested interest in seeing it fail, given that most reviewers don't even realise there are numbers that exist below 90 that they can use.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sounds like Alpha Protocol meets Storm of Zehir through the medium of Dragon Age. Can such a high concentration of Sozziness exist in this world?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Watch the reviews, only non-English speaking Euro-reviewers will dare to give it under 90. I'm 99% certain that all UK and US reviewers will soil their pants and gush overexcitedly how awesomely epic and dark it is.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
GarfunkeL said:
Watch the reviews, only non-English speaking Euro-reviewers will dare to give it under 90. I'm 99% certain that all UK and US reviewers will soil their pants and gush overexcitedly how awesomely epic and dark it is.
There is a chance that I'll review it on our Hungarian site. I have a feeling that it won't get a high score. :twisted:

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I'd love to see a major American magazine/website give DA2 a 87. 87 should, in any situation, be a great score. But to a game journalist, an 85-89 score just means a game is 'good for what it is :smug: '. Anyways, hilarious butthurt would follow.

Phelot

Arcane
20 Eyes said:
I'd love to see a major American magazine/website give DA2 a 87. 87 should, in any situation, be a great score. But to a game journalist, an 85-89 score just means a game is 'good for what it is :smug: '. Anyways, hilarious butthurt would follow.

Yeah, pretty much this. Somehow, anything below 90 is simply shit. SHIT! Even though it should be more described as Very Good or Great with 50 being mediocre, which is what so many of these games deserve. Not bad, but not good.

It shouldn't be this hard or this "scandalous." Great fucking games of yesteryear used to get 70's and 80's such as PST and JA2 (IIRC PC Gamer gave it a 70 range score)

Notorious

Augur
VentilatorOfDoom said:
- ...but old-school RPG players might have their problems with the flurry of activities in battles

Is this supposed to be a joke? I mean, do they imagnie old-school RPG players(Whatever the hell that is) as 80 year olds playing Ultima all the time?

tetsuo

Scholar
I actually liked the tactics sytem in the first game (with the advanced tactics mod ofc) an even better example is the gambits system in final fantasy 12 and the improved izjs version of it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
tetsuo said:
I actually liked the tactics sytem in the first game (with the advanced tactics mod ofc) an even better example is the gambits system in final fantasy 12 and the improved izjs version of it.

Dragon Age had a lot of good stuff. 2? Doesn't look like it will have any... They took everything remotely interesting away by the look of it. I'll torrent'n'try, but I'm not expecting much...

I'm ready to be surprised though. Could use some unexpected goodness from the genre these days...

Black

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Oh well, the unholy trinity will certainly bring it back up to 100/100.
What unholy trinity?
IGNorance and what else?

Below 90s for an AAA game from BIOWARE, SAVIOUR OF THE RPG GENRE and EA? Ouch. I feel for the person who has to do the LP.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Black said:
Jaesun said:
Oh well, the unholy trinity will certainly bring it back up to 100/100.
What unholy trinity?
IGNorance and what else?

Below 90s for an AAA game from BIOWARE, SAVIOUR OF THE RPG GENRE and EA? Ouch. I feel for the person who has to do the LP.

IGN/GameSpy/GameSpot

What brave soul is going to take one for the team and do a LP of this shit?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
- poor level design with one-to-one copy-pasting of whole quest areas

Huh, they really are borrowing from Mass Effect.

Also, I bet the ending is a cliffhanger setup for DA3 (which will probably be out next year).

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Somehow I doubt that DA2 is as fast-paced as the first review makes it out to be. It will most likely fail both as an action game and as an RPG.

Dantus12

Educated
The scary part is that a wast majority of people that even remotely followed the game now are able to predict pretty much everything.

The reviews that VoD posted include also:

A completely anti climatic ending, one that reveals that the game doesn't last 10 years but 7, ending in a cliffhanger of the more annoying kind.

Probably will be sold as DLC.
Bioware found unfortunately the best way to support EA's battle with resales.

What is the easiest way of manipulating the gamer into believing that His game is needed for import and impact on the next one.

On the technical aspects beside the clipping and other problems like copy paste areas, Bioware refuses to answer the DRM questions , and the speculation that the player is always stuck with the default faces during the exaggerated portions of the game.

Game will be probably the "RPG od the Decade, Millennium..."

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dantus12 said:
A completely anti climatic ending, one that reveals that the game doesn't last 10 years but 7, ending in a cliffhanger of the more annoying kind.
REALLY? :x Fuck you Bioware! A role-playing game is not a fucking TV series, you can't add a fucking cliffhanger to the end. I want a nice conclusion to my game dammit. Fuck, fuck! I never gonna buy anything from that company. I hope they will sell the end of the story as a DLC. So I can go to the Bioware forums, and virtually kick everybody who licked the studio's ass in the face.

SAGO

Barely Literate
SOUNDS PRETTY BAD IF THE VIDEO GAME JOURNALISTS AREN'T RATING IT OVER 94

MAYBE THEY ARE TRYING TO SOUND LIKE THEY ARE ACTUALLY REVIEWING IT BY TAKING THE CONCERNS OF ANGRY BIOFANS INTO CONSIDERATION.

IT WILL TO BE THE BEST RPG OFALL TIME AS PROPHECISED BY BASEMENT DWELLER VINCE, IT WILL BE DECALRED THE MAGNUM OPUS OF BIOWEAR AND MUCH MORE BUTTHURT WILL ENSURE FROM THE CODEX.

Black

Arcane
It seems our dearest Brobert got a sequel. As good as Fallout 3.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
And with tactical combat action I do mean you watch your characters doing the fighting for you, maybe you mash a button here and there.

Like the combat in Dominions 3, which is a very tactical game where you roleplay a false god. Fans of Dominions gameplay will no doubt feel some familiarity with DA2's macro-based combat options. Bioware is truly a master at bringing the best from all genres together.

curry

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Their conclusion: great RPG, slightly weaker than DAO

I'm speechless. How the hell is it even POSSIBLE to make it worse than DAO?

Bioware, I am disappoint.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom