Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC exclusive games - MEGA thread

MapMan

Arcane
Over at http://www.pcgamingfan.com/?page_id=719 is a huge compilation of upcoming PC exclusives. The site contains barely any info about the games besides a screenshots, one sentence description and title. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the most interesting picks from the list along with providing more info. I'll start with Black Prophecy.

Game at first reminds me of EVE online but for people who actually like playing games instead of watching them play itself. Here's a trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8JSa-N-UbE

The combat is in real time and unlike EVE you control the ship directly and its not only your ships stats the determine the outcome of a battle but also your skills. Theres TPP camera and a FPP cockpit view. Graphics look awesome, environments look fabulous. They say there's a lot of customization allowed. Theres a closed beta going on that you can register for at http://www.blackprophecy.com/

:thumbsup:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
"Dropship
A turn-based SF wargame with RPG elements developed by ex-Troika guys using the Source engine"
Wait, what? The link they provide leads to the Codex. http://www.rpgcodex.net/gamedetails.php?id=364

Last post in 2006, eh. And they think it's coming out in 2011, eh.

Heh.

Dropship and Broken Hourglass have been appearing in these lists the last 5 years.

Sad really.

I had some inside info, a while back, for Broken Hourgalss and that game may actually be released at some point. Dropship, I don't think so.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
MapMan said:
I'll start with Black Prophecy.

Game at first reminds me of EVE online but for people who actually like playing games instead of watching them play itself.

The combat is in real time and unlike EVE you control the ship directly and its not only your ships stats the determine the outcome of a battle but also your skills. Theres TPP camera and a FPP cockpit view. Graphics look awesome, environments look fabulous. They say there's a lot of customization allowed.

:thumbsup:

I'm actually hoping this is the EvE killer. Except it would not be the killer per se, but more like a passing bloke who shoves EvE out of the way and thereby delivers the killing blow.

It has recently come to the attention of EvE players that over 33% of the game's economy, that is ships, modules, ammo, outpost components, you name it, are made and sold by macro-run accounts. That is, 1/3 of the playerbase at any given time are using macro-programs to play the game for them. Everywhere. Even out in the deepest reaches of lawless space. CCP's reaction?

We're still waiting for a reaction. Meanwhile the clock is ticking and people are getting pissed off.

Now, back to the list of PC exclusives.

Trapped Dead sounds interesting, except I can't see zombies working in a game set up like Commandos, Desperados and Star Trek: Away Team. Zombies need to be random to work.

What's with all the Dungeon Keeper clones? 3 of them and counting...

Book of Unwritten Tales is actually getting released in English, and is not vaopurware?

Snapshot makes me think of Braid. Let's hope it's not as pretentious.

Battlestar Galactica, the MMO? Oh please.

I don't know which surprises me more, that Fool & His Money got a mention, or that the game is actually believed to be possibly released this year.

Wait, they're making a sequel to Trine?

And LOL at at the World of Darkness MMO being scheduled for 2012. To be honest, I'd be surprised if CCP are still around by the end of this year.

7hm

Scholar
And LOL at at the World of Darkness MMO being scheduled for 2012. To be honest, I'd be surprised if CCP are still around by the end of this year.

Isn't EVE a pretty consistent source of revenue?

I thought they were doing well.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That WoD MMO sounds like it could be fucking awesome and I will be incredibly pissed if the company making it goes bankrupt.

zeitgeist

Magister
Unkillable Cat said:
It has recently come to the attention of EvE players that over 33% of the game's economy, that is ships, modules, ammo, outpost components, you name it, are made and sold by macro-run accounts
Any info on how this data was gathered? Not really questioning the validity of it, since it sadly does sound pretty plausible, just interested in the methods.

Destroid

Arcane
Unkillable Cat said:
It has recently come to the attention of EvE players that over 33% of the game's economy, that is ships, modules, ammo, outpost components, you name it, are made and sold by macro-run accounts. That is, 1/3 of the playerbase at any given time are using macro-programs to play the game for them. Everywhere. Even out in the deepest reaches of lawless space. CCP's reaction?

We're still waiting for a reaction. Meanwhile the clock is ticking and people are getting pissed off.

Of course they won't take action. Players don't want to do all the boring jobs that keep the Eve economy running (mining, hauling etc) because they are boring. More bot accounts also means more subs and more $$$.

Unkillable Cat said:

I'd have thought that CCP would be classed as Too Big to Fail by the Icelandic government since the crash, what with all those foreign currencies coming in month by month.

Gord

Arcane
Woah, a JA2 remake? That went completely below my radar.
Sounds pormising, but I hope they don't screw up.

praetor

Arcane
i entered the Black Prophecy closed beta some time ago. it's basically a MMO Freelancer with more bugs than Win95 (not surprising considering it's a beta so i couldn't finish something like 9 of the 10 (generic) missions i've tried. and half the text wasn't even translated. it's more of an alpha than an actual beta, really. i should probably reinstall it one of these days to see if they fixed anything

MetalCraze

Arcane
Gord said:
Woah, a JA2 remake? That went completely below my radar.
Sounds pormising, but I hope they don't screw up.

It isn't a remake anymore. It was going to be a horrible piece of shit so people started pointing out that crappy real-time polit-correct twitchness isn't JA2 - they listened to them and... renamed it.

Anyway

Shogun 2 - dumbed down shit
Heroes 6 - dumbed down shit
AoE Online - MMO so shit
DoTA2 - a sequel to shit
CM: BoN - open your pocket wide for 10 DLCs before you'll be able to play it
King Arthur 2 - haven't played original
Cities in Motion - transport tycoon = meh
JA: Back In Action - shit
JA3 - will never come out
SotS2 - mediocrity incoming
End of Nations - MMORTS? Meh
Frozen Synapse - looks retarded and look it's an indie game - no wonder it's shit
Dungeons - who knows?
The Sims Medieval - shit, play Guild2
Real Warfare 2 - don't know
A Game of Thrones - a game based on tv series based on a book - double shit
Pirates of the Black Cove - dunno
Project MyWorld = social? definitely shit
Stronghold 3 - aren't tired of milking the franchise with mediocrity yet?

+ shittons of shittons of shittons of ugly indie shit. Indies should fucking die.

This list proves that PC gaming isn't dead. No - it's just a bastion of mediocrity and lack of creativity full of pretentious morons called "indies" because no publisher will invest money into something so bad.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Unkillable Cat said:
I'm actually hoping this is the EvE killer. Except it would not be the killer per se, but more like a passing bloke who shoves EvE out of the way and thereby delivers the killing blow.
Yeah, just kill one of the last unique MMOs on the market. Well done.

Not a chance, EVE has relatively small, but dedicated fanbase for a long time ago. Has a steady subscription number, and an EVE wannabe game won't kill it. Does it hurt you that we have an MMO, that is not a WoW rip off?

As for the "33% of players use bot" question. Could you show me the source? Because I call bullshit on that.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
7hm said:
Isn't EVE a pretty consistent source of revenue?

I thought they were doing well.

They're doing well for a medium-sized company by Icelandic terms. They're heavy in debt, but if they can maintain the source of revenue then they'll pay off those debts in time. Time is the key factor here.

The problem is that they're working and acting globally, with 4 offices scattered around the world, working on multiple projects. What's worse, it's a 600-man company run on the mentality of a bunch of coders working in a basement, focused on nothing else than the continued growth of the company. Everything else is secondary. Their corporate infrastructure is shit, and they have no plans to re-structure the company internally to fix this.

Destroid said:
Of course they won't take action. Players don't want to do all the boring jobs that keep the Eve economy running (mining, hauling etc) because they are boring. More bot accounts also means more subs and more $$$.

Read the EULA:

7.CONDUCT
A. Specifically Restricted Conduct
Your continued access to the System and license to play the Game is subject to proper conduct. Without limiting CCP's rights to control the Game environment, and the conduct of the players within that environment, CCP prohibits the following practices that CCP has determined detract from the overall user experience of the users playing the Game:
[snip]
3.You may not use macros or other stored rapid keystrokes or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate when compared with ordinary Game play.[snip]

B. Selling Items and Objects
You may not transfer, sell or auction, or buy or accept any offer to transfer, sell or auction (or offer to do any of the foregoing), any content appearing within the Game environment, including without limitation characters, character attributes, items, currency, and objects, other than via a permitted Character Transfer as described in section 3 above. You may not encourage or induce any other person to participate in such a prohibited transaction. The buying, selling or auctioning (or any attempt at doing so) of characters, character attributes, items, currency, or objects, whether through online auctions (such as ebay), newsgroups, postings on message boards or any other means is prohibited by the EULA and a violation of CCP's proprietary rights in the Game.

The second paragraph is included because many of the bots are used to generate ISK to sell to players illegally. But because CCP are incompetent, they can't tell the difference between a bot that's "just helping its owner generate extra income", and a bot that's fueling real money traders.

One third of the playerbase is violating the EULA, yet CCP does nothing about it. Think about the message that sends. It sends the message that the EULA is meaningless. It also sends the message that players that are playing the game themselves are Doing It Wrong. Why should they continue playing, or paying?

zeitgeist said:
Any info on how this data was gathered? Not really questioning the validity of it, since it sadly does sound pretty plausible, just interested in the methods.

The original article that got the current ball rolling is this one.

The website that hosted the other article that stated the 33% number has removed said article, for some reason. :roll:

But if you look around EvE-related fansites and forums, you'll see the discussion on this, and everyone agrees that bots are running rampant in EvE.

J_C said:
Yeah, just kill one of the last unique MMO on the market. Well done.

Not a chance, EVE has relatively small, but dedicated fanbase for a long time ago. Has a steady subscription number, and an EVE wannabe game won't kill it.

Remember, just because it's unique doesn't mean it's special. It isn't always a good thing. For every good thing EvE does, it does about 2 things wrong. Otherwise the bots wouldn't be running rampant.

There's a number regarding to EvE you need to be aware of. It's called Player Retention Rate. It's how long a person will, on average, play EvE Online before quitting. The average playtime was 7 months the last time I checked, it's propably changed by then. The point is, that players don't last very long in EvE and alot of its numbers are new players who keep quitting the game.

So where do the new players come from? There's a "core" of players that have been playing for years, the veterans. They are the true source of new players for EvE, because they are the ones that get friends, family, people at work interested in the game, to go and try out the game. Word of mouth is still the best marketing campaign out there. But lately even the veterans have been quitting the game in droves, their patience with EvE is either wearing very thin or has worn out completely. There's even a forum housed almost exclusively by "bittervets" of EvE, who have quit playing the game for various reasons, but like to keep in touch with it... most of them only waitingfor the inevitable trainwreck that is approaching on the horizon.

Maybe you want me to mention subscription numbers?

Subs-2.png

There was an influx of new subscribers when the last expansion (Tyrannis) was released in May, but by September the subscription rate had actually droppped back to what it was before Tyrannis was released. Growth is now only minimal. Note that these numbers do not reflect the "impact" of the latest expansion, Incursion.

The game has grown stagnant, both in growth and content. Even with the much-touted "Walking in stations" expansion finally being released this summer, it's being done at such a snail's pace that it's hard-pressed to be the smash-hit success that it needs to be.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
DwarvenFood said:
What on earth is Dofus... and maybe silly, but why is WoW not in the chart.. million+ subs?

The title of the chart will explain your second question.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Destroid said:
Lol@ Warhammer Online and Age of Conan.
exactly my reaction + wondering why the ppl who migrated from daoc to warhammer online don't seem to have gone back to daoc... too ugly ?

DwarvenFood said:
What on earth is Dofus...
flash game with turn based combat and decent graphics which is f2p and shouldn't be on that list

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Unkillable Cat said:
The game has grown stagnant, both in growth and content. Even with the much-touted "Walking in stations" expansion finally being released this summer, it's being done at such a snail's pace that it's hard-pressed to be the smash-hit success that it needs to be.
I understand what you say, but despite this, this game should not be killed. You say that being unique is not always a good thing. Maybe it is true. But it is certainly not a bad thing here. EVE offers a type of gameplay which no other MMO does. Is it boring sometimes? Sure. Is it complicated for the newcomers? Yes. But if a player gets a grip on the gameplay, joins a good corporation, it will be much more fun. The graph you posted shows, that the EVE community was growing rapidly in the last few years, and it only declined a little in the last few years. But the new expansions (which are always free) will help to increase the subscription number again.

Bottom line is, EVE should live, there are other, more generic MMOs that should be killed. Like World of Warcraft. :D

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Destroid said:
Lol@ Warhammer Online and Age of Conan.
Yeah it's what happens when media hypes crap :thumbsup:

FatCat

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Shogun 2 - dumbed down shit

What............?

How in any way S2 was dumbed down ? It wasn't it includes much more features than previous TW games......

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom