Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Footage

Arcanoix

Scholar
The engine still tries to render at 75FPS while we have yet to come up with an authentic circuit that processes via hardware anything more than 60hz/60FPS. Thus, 15 frames (a mere half-second) are cut from the actual visualization, resulting in that same Gamebryo-esque stutter. Fucking Garbage. 8 1/2 years later and Gamebryo still has it.

waywardOne

Arcane
did anyone else expect him to say after the dragon fight

"There can be only one!"

T-T

Novice
The trailer lost me the moment I saw that retarded dragon shout, or whatever the hell that was supposed to be. I really enjoy "word of power" motifs in games and literature, or themes of reality weaved from some divine transcendent language. But taking something that has so much potential for awesome if done right, and serving it as "Herp Derp Derp!" shockwave shouts at dragons is just, bah...

Other than that, it's just a painfully typical trailer. It doesn't even try being creative as far as presentation goes. While the music is kind of nice, I've heard so many high-fantasy choral pieces over the years, and experienced Beth folly in Oblivion & F3 to such an extent, that all I could think of while listening to that heroic chorus was how cheesy it is in the context of their previous utterly fucked up games. Anyway...

Standardish trailer structure, with numerous flashes of combat weaved in? Check!

Unimpressive dragons? Check.

Save the world plot (and not even a fucking imaginative, or slightly creative one either)? Check.

Blatantly chosen one superhuman main character? Check.

Very heroic fantasy choral theme? Check.

Bethesda? Check.

No, not after Oblivion. Certainly not after what those turds did with F3. I can stomach a lot, and still enjoy a lot of modern games "for what they are." But I fucking cried when going through some dialogues in F3. I, fucking, cried. Bethesda didn't even have the god damn decency to make mediocre dialogues to their weak excuse of a plot. Standard, bleak, mediocre dialogues were apparently too much effort. They had to make them retarded.

I bought a new graphics card after Oblivion trailers, I still cherished a faint glimmer of hope before F3, but now all I can do is shit in Bethesda's general direction. Fool me thrice, shame on me.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Welcome to The Codex T-T! Just stay the HELL AWAY from GD and you will do just fine. It's a terrible terrible place.

This really is a win win situation for Codexia. If it's good, then that's some serious incline. If it's shit, and it will probably be shit, then that means the Codex masochists will bring us delightful LPs of it.

syllopsium

Educated
I damned well hope I don't need a system upgrade to cope with that - it doesn't actually look /that/ better than Oblivion.

I was about to say the dragon looked quite impressive, and then I remembered the huge gatekeeper in Shivered Isles.

Bit more vegetation in piccies, marginally better character animation, what looks like improved lighting and a few more rounded edges to models.

Evolution, not revolution.. Morrowind->Oblivion was a much larger tech leap

Probably because it has to run on 360 and PS3..

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
ortucis said:
I don't know why but I am more excited about Skyrim over DA2. Maybe it's because I enjoyed Oblivion up until level scaling ruined the game for me (I didn't know about it but I re-installed game 20 times at least to get a perfect character not realising that it was a waste of time thanks to scaling.. I finished the game only once). But I enjoyed Fallout 3 and they fixed scaling there so I still have hope.

Anyways, trailer looks good. I have to agree with others that this looks similar to Oblivion. Infact, the blurry textures on a snowy terrain now REALLY stick out more than ever. Hell, even Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2 has snowy levels that look ten times better than what was shown in the trailer.

But oooh look, cities. I love exploring cities/towns in RPG's. So that is looking good.
:retarded:
Nice troll, man.

Andhaira

Arcane
Thanks for the link larpingdude.

I have to say, it looks pretty good. I especially liked the shot of the town.

The animations are stiff. I wonder why Bethesda can never get animations right. The monster animations looked alright though.

The dragon was underwhelming. I hope they make up for that by making each dragon have different tactics, or something like that. I seriously doubt they will do anything of the sort ofcourse.

All in all, definately worth getting an xbox 360 for, to play this puppy.

Shannow

Waster of Time
ortucis said:
Shannow said:
(Actually, I don't even mind "the chosen one" shtik so much, but I hate the "you're super special" shit that usually goes with it. They might as well cal me a retard to my face. Fucking, retarded Toddlers and Whores.)

You should stick to playing Microsoft Flight simulator if you don't want to save the world single handedly.
Wow, you are stupid. Ok, your homework for today is:
Point out the difference between being "heroic" without being a dragonborn/specter/warden/witcher/chosen one/godchild/nerevarine/etc. and being "heroic" and "special".
I expect at least 3 pages. If you need help, play first Baldur's Gate and then Icewind Dale. Or Da and ToEE. Or MEh and IWD2...
And because you obviously need the excercise:
Point out the difference between MFS and an RPG. 1 page is enough.

Yeah, I know, too much effort wasted on a moron who'll answer with "hurr, durr, no u!" but I had fun writing it :P

ortucis

Prophet
Shannow said:
Yeah, I know, too much effort wasted on a moron who'll answer with "hurr, durr, no u!" but I had fun writing it :P

I am telling you, you will LOVE this.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Now thats a trailer. That gets me pumped to explore and roleplay. Thats the lkey you have to roleplay

If you want to have fun with Skyrim just ignore the game until the first 'must have' mod is released. Create a character thats birth randomed meaning everything that you cant control like race, sex, and name is randomized then make creative justifications for your character's actions. Do that and it will be goty material. Oh and dont visit any forums just go out into the world ignorant.

Who's willing to bet that they took on board the criticizm about enemy level and equipment scaling, and now there will actually be some feeling of progression as you level up?

Perhaps even the odd respawn, so you can level above the expected paygrade if you want to reload less often?

No?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom