Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who thinks BG2 feels like a Monty Haul campaign?

KingTurd

Novice
I think so because every second enemy has a magical weapon or armor, you get 30k gold easily, nothing is TRULY difficult, you get tons of potions, you are easily capable of having your whole party equipped with +3 weaponry and armor and having negative AC's.
They have also messed up some things, for example: dragons have huge hoards, Firkraag didn't even have 100k gold for gods sake! Drow cities have thousand of citizens, the one in BG2 didn't even have 100 drows in it!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
All CRPGs are monty haul. Why should BG2 be any different?

LittleJoe

Arbiter
KingTurd said:
I think so because every second enemy has a magical weapon or armor, you get 30k gold easily, nothing is TRULY difficult, you get tons of potions, you are easily capable of having your whole party equipped with +3 weaponry and armor and having negative AC's.
They have also messed up some things, for example: dragons have huge hoards, Firkraag didn't even have 100k gold for gods sake! Drow cities have thousand of citizens, the one in BG2 didn't even have 100 drows in it!

If you think BG2 is Monty Haul, you should try Throne of Baal!

It doesn't really matter so long as the game is balanced.
(actually it does, see Two Worlds)

The second part of your post is pure troll and not worth replying to.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Play the NWN2 mod Pool of Radiance Remastered. It's about as authentic and non-MH a CRPG as you're going to get. Finding a good (non-magical) weapon or set of armor in it is an accomplishment. Finding any actual enchanted items is rare.

That's one of the reasons I loved it so much.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Crispy said:
Play the NWN2 mod Pool of Radiance Remastered. It's about as authentic and non-MH a CRPG as you're going to get. Finding a good (non-magical) weapon or set of armor in it is an accomplishment. Finding any actual enchanted items is rare.

Have you tried Baldur's Gate with the Hard Times mod? It makes enchanted items much rarer, with most +1 weapons being replaced with 'Excellent' weapons.
Combine that mod with Sword Coast Strategems for a challening BG experience.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Never played BG with any mods at all, ever. At the time I was playing it mods weren't really a big thing for me yet. It took Oblivion to wake me up to them. :/

Malraz Alizar

Novice
sgc_meltdown said:
It's to make up for not having any free preorder or DLC items.

How quickly we forget :)

Pre-ordering Baldur's Gate II gave access to an exclusive merchant, Joluv, who sold a variety of high-powered, IWD-inspired items. The Collector's Edition added an additional merchant, Dierdre, who sold PST-inspired items.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Malraz Alizar said:

Unfortunately I did not. That is why I conscientiously specified 'free'. Imagine getting the robe of mirrors or whatever it was automatically on a new character, with a popup that you picked it up off a strange blah blah blah anyway now you have it. That's what item DLCs are now.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Who cares? I just didn't find mods necessary for any of the games I was playing up until that point.

Once I realized how empty Oblivion was I started searching for ways to improve it to save it from deletion from my hard drive.

TES Nexus came in quite handy.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Malraz Alizar said:
sgc_meltdown said:

Pre-ordering Baldur's Gate II gave access to an exclusive merchant, Joluv, who sold a variety of high-powered, IWD-inspired items. The Collector's Edition added an additional merchant, Dierdre, who sold PST-inspired items.

I'm 90% sure they put those merchants into the regular game in a patch at some point.

Stabwound

Arcane
I don't think they were put into any official patch, but they were put into the Baldurdash patches. The merchants were also possible to download online right after the game was released- not officially but they were on the fan sites and whatnot.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Crispy said:

Too bad it wasnt more like the orginal with the Soz engine and 6 party members.

Winter Ale

Novice
I do! I do! Yay! It feels like a Monty Haul campaign, tis' true!

Mind, getting anything that's not a Monty Haul campaign out of any CRPG, or for that matter any RPG is rather tough. There's that instinct to want the coolest toys. There's that instinct to be better protected. There's that...

Yeah, you get the point.

It's one of the slightly irritating things about so many Bioware games, the way you end up being center of the universe (Dragon Age, actually, isn't as much of an offender here - I say to some surprise). But it does serve that narcissitic instinct of part of the population.

Age of Decadence, now... I wonder if Vince is going to bring something cool, interesting, and um... not ridiculous?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Xor said:
Malraz Alizar said:
sgc_meltdown said:

I'm 90% sure they put those merchants into the regular game in a patch at some point.

They did but its how all those DLCs started. I love the game but it had some hints of decline...

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Monty Haul campaigns are supposed be easy because of the influx of magic items and the PC's becoming the most powerful beings in the game world. That's hardly the case in BG2 though since it's mostly balanced for that kind of campaign. If you don't cheese and min max the shit out of the game, it can be kind of challenging, at least the first couple of playthroughs.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
KingTurd said:
I think so because every second enemy has a magical weapon or armor,
false

you get 30k gold easily,
This is because back then Bioware hadn't yet learned to only put a deep mushroom in every chest.

nothing is TRULY difficult, you get tons of potions, you are easily capable of having your whole party equipped with +3 weaponry and armor and having negative AC's.
Yet having negative ACs didn't mean jack shit. If there's something wrong in BG2 it's certainly that your equipment never - even remotely - kept up with the enemy THAC0 advancement.

They have also messed up some things, for example: dragons have huge hoards, Firkraag didn't even have 100k gold for gods sake!
Didn't you just complain about too much money ?

Drow cities have thousand of citizens, the one in BG2 didn't even have 100 drows in it!
FFS that's disappointing. Massive failure here on Bio's part, especially considering all the other RPG towns in the history of CRPGs which were mostly accurate with the number of their inhabitants, derp.

Ringhausen

Augur
KingTurd said:

Yes, there was too much loot, but it was still much better than the following NWN games. At least every shitty merchant didnt have an arsenal of magical items in stock.

Dragons having huge hoards - would wreck the game balance.

Small drow city - was explained ingame, it was a small outpost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom