Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm Looking Forward to Skyrim

Quigs

Magister
Who is this guy?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
After loving both Arena and Daggerfall I got severely burned out on Morrowind. Even to the extend that I never ever played Oblivion.

Did I miss out on anything?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tycn said:
Fucking spears, how do they work?

They don't, that's why we don't see that shit in superior cRPGs like Oblivion or Dragon Age.

PS. I always loved to see combat animations of characters with spears in IE games :M

MisterStone

Arcane
I'll say this about the trailer: it reminded me of Gothic II in terms of aesthetics and the outdoor design. And it looked better than Gothic 3. If they can manage to make the character development, writing and gameplay on par or better than Gothic 2 (let's face it, Gothic 2 was well-written, but the char dev and gameplay was not exactly stellar in a lot of places) then it ought to at least be "good for what it is"++. Maybe even better than GFWII.

However considering how AAA devs dumb the fuck down everything (Bethesda having a notorious track record for this over the past decade), it would be wrong to get our hopes up.

tehRPness

Educated
Konjad said:
Tycn said:
Fucking spears, how do they work?

They don't, that's why we don't see that shit in superior cRPGs like Oblivion or Dragon Age.

PS. I always loved to see combat animations of characters with spears in IE games :M
There might be a niche for indie developers to make a game with zulu warriors with big ass spear who hunt down white guys and eat their hearts. Maybe it should star that witch doctor from Indiana Jones. Instant GOTY.

T-T

Novice
I don't care about spears, but will it have mudcrabs?

...filthy creatures.

Quilty

Magister
Crispy, have you ever posted a picture of your games collection? I'm sure it would be an embarrassing sight, with rows upon rows of collector's editions of DA, Oblivion and Fallout 3, but you should totally post it. If I was able to admit to having spent 200+ hours in Bad Company 2 last year, then you shouldn't balk at sharing the full splendor of your own shame with us. We'll be bro-like about it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
More low blows and not on-topic, but I'll humor you.

My games collection is very small, unfortunately. I've sold many, many games in garage sales over the years, including all my classics. I roll through them so quickly (albeit finishing rarely) and so rarely replay that I've always felt hanging on to them would be stupid. I regret that now, since I've owned every single one of the classics, possibly save for one or two of the Ultimas. This includes all of the Gold Boxes, all the M&M's, ad continuum.

I tend to not go for any CE's. I get the game, I install it, I play it. Yes, that includes Betheda's stuff. :shrug:

And you're not paying enough attention. I fucking hated DA:O, despite the fact it's in my must-finish list. I want to complete it in order to attempt to understand it and thereby partially justify my online hatred of it. Dragon Age is one of my most hated games ever. Will I break down and get DA2 anyway? It'll be an interesting test of my willpower.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Crispy said:
I fucking hated DA:O, despite the fact it's in my must-finish list. I want to complete it in order to attempt to understand it and thereby partially justify my online hatred of it. Dragon Age is one of my most hated games ever.

Then why did you like Oblivion then? Or is it more of a you have just been a fan of the ES then, and good or bad, it's just something you look forward too (even out of morbid curiosity)?

I have not nor will ever play Oblivion, I just wonder what made it an enjoyable game to you, but DA:O made you ragequit.

Luzur

Good Sir
Crispy, stuff like this will just make people think you are going senile and feel sorry for you.

you dont fight with senile old people.

not even evil people do that.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Jaesun said:
Then why did you like Oblivion then?

Well, let me dispel a somewhat aged rumor regarding that. I may be, certainly by Codexian standards, a TES fanboy, but I only enjoyed Oblivion for the first couple of weeks playing it (bearing in mind I'm a very slow, methodical player). Once its soullessness came full bear, once I finally realized the near futility of playing it even a little more, I proceeded straight for the Oblivion gates, did what I had to do there, then advanced the main plot very quickly to get it all over with. The only time after that I ever even contemplated booting it again is after I downloaded The Lost Spires along with OOO and a few other mods. This kind of saved the game for me and I felt like I at least got some value for it. Haven't played it again since.

Why do I enjoy its type of game over a DA, though? It's probably the LARPer in me. I do enjoy the IMMERSHUN of jumping into the skin of a big old green orc and trudging through dungeons. This probably sounds quite familiar. Do I look to these games for meaningful dialog, tactical combat? Of course not, although NV has impressed me at times with its banter. In my opinion, Bethesda's games at least aren't trying to be something they're not. Many may argue that, but I stand by the opinion that even under Todd's tutelage, the TES series remains and aspires to be what I described. Dragon Age, on the other hand, is a poser. It is a truly shitty game masquerading as something else, and for that I greatly resent it. (Plus fag sex lol) Its intent seems to seep through its cracks every time I play it, and that intent is to insult me. It wants to almost play itself. It has no real tactical complexity, it has no real character development, it has no real intriguing storyline to explore, and it doesn't even look all that good. Supposedly the spiritual successor to BG it fails absolutely miserably in my eyes. I can't even think about some of the aspects of that game without gritting my teeth.

So again, I look forward to TES V. It will be what it's meant to be, and I'm hoping for some slight signs of incline within it. More Daggerfall-ey, more Morrowind-ey, less Oblivioness. I'll be a happy camper when I'm in the mood to LARP in it.

Comprende?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Nice write up Crispy. I can see now why you do like it. Thank you. I won't bother you again for being a Bethsdatard. ;)

Dragon Age, on the other hand, is a poser. It is a truly shitty game masquerading as something else, and for that I greatly resent it. (Plus fag sex lol) Its intent seems to seep through its cracks every time I play it, and that intent is to insult me.

Agreed. :salute:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Konjad said:

The part where they swing and twack the enemies with the side of the point like they're actually using quarterstaff combat attack motions is quite eyecatching.

TrustNo1

Scholar
Almalexia_cosplay_by_AnhenRose.jpg

I fondly remember lurking during the (Codex) Oblivion crisis, I take it The Prestigious Magazine wil have full coverage this time as well.l

LittleJoe

Arbiter
Look Crimpy, were all gonna buy it, or try it at least.

And when it comes out it will dominate the 'dex for weeks.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
LittleJoe said:
Look Crimpy, were all gonna buy it, or try it at least.

And when it comes out it will dominate the 'dex for weeks.

Speak for yourself faggot. I still have never nor ever will play Oblivion.

You still care enough about the fucking thing to be bitching about it five years after it was released

ffs

fake edit: only the "ffs" was supposed to be pink, but this looks fitting enough since I'm talking to you, so I'll leave it like that :)

denizsi

Arcane
This explains the "40+ and still a virgin" thing: he played and still is playing POS games his entire life.

There is no Reload IRL but you know that, right?

Depressing.

edit: Ohshit, I have missed my 9966th post! Dammit!

If Crispy wasn't such a perverted and rage filled social outcast, I would think he would be a pure-blood Bethtard fanboy

denizsi

Arcane
Duh, don't you know that he's hanging here only because he was banned at ESF?

In retrospect, the final straw that led to my banning was some idiot reporting my casually flirtatious sarcasm towards an underage member, whom I already had contact with outside ESF, as pedophilic sexual harassment. And the admins didn't care because they just wanted to boot me for good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom