Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which golden oldie has aged the best?

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Infinity Engine games have all aged very well.

Fallout still looks and plays great.

Arcanum seems like a better game every year, just because everything coming out is so banal shit boring.

They're more strategy than RPG, but I think HOMM II and III will always look amazing. The sprites are beautifully crafted.

MisterStone

Arcane
Ultima V bitches

Almost every other game mentioned here is a silver-age game. Why? Because it was developed after Ultima V.

:smug:

Luzur

Good Sir
MisterStone said:
Ultima V bitches

Almost every other game mentioned here is a silver-age game. Why? Because it was developed after Ultima V.

:smug:

öpp öpp, Might and Magic came out 1985-86.

donjn

Educated
Any game where you have to "manually" move the camera are aged. Sorry.

This means Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum (gulp), BG 1 and 2, etc. I am sorry but I never understood those engines. Why in the world won;t the camera follow your player? I have only been able to tolerate this in Arcanum.

Radisshu

Prophet
donjn said:
Any game where you have to "manually" move the camera are aged. Sorry.

This means Fallout, Fallout 2, Arcanum (gulp), BG 1 and 2, etc. I am sorry but I never understood those engines. Why in the world won;t the camera follow your player? I have only been able to tolerate this in Arcanum.

Because having the camera move around when I just want to move my character a bit is fucking annoying.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Being able to move the camera yourself lets you look around more during combat. If there's someone shooting at you offscreen in Fallout and the camera was locked on the PC you'd have to move toward them in order to shoot.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
""NWN: 8 years old and still awesome."

"I hate you.""

:love: :thumbsup: :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom