Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlestar Galactica Online

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
Gave this a try. Here are some of my thoughts:

First I'll concede that I started playing the game expecting it to be a shitty F2P franchise milk.
Second, this is a browser-based game that uses Unity Web Player with shitty low-res browser graphics.

Combat is pretty much automated. It consists of clicking on the enemy ship to target it, then your ship moves to put the enemy in its "firing arc" and when the enemy is in the firing arc, your ship fires automatically. All that's left for the player is to fire missiles when the cooldown ends and tell the ship to realign its firing arc every now and then. Oh, and you control the ship's speed.
Positioning doesn't actually matter (in a space combat game, le fuck) and dodging fire is pretty hard because the AI just fires at you constantly. Essentially the combat is just an HP race and not anything resembling a fighter simulator. Gunfire feels like an auto-attack that you just toggle on and it does some damage in-between missile attacks. I came in expecting dogfight-like combat, but got WoW in space.

The story in BGO is completely retarded (at least in the beginning) and shits all over the TV show. It opens with a mysterious power teleporting all Cylon and human ships into uncharted territory and they can't teleport back because some nebula or some shit is blocking the FTL drives, so they have to fight each other to death but lol there are respawn facilities so this will go on forever lol. Herp derp.

I thought BGO was nice at first, but it wasn't good enough to keep my interest beyond a few tutorial missions.
The microtransaction bullshit is present in the game. You can buy "cubits" using real money. I never bothered to check what use cubits have, because I didn't really care, but judging by similar mechanics in other games I'd wager they could yield this or that type of "horse armor" or some XP points.

To conclude: this is a shitty F2P franchise milk with a retarded storyline, shitty graphics and mechanics that could very well appeal to the Facebook crowd (over 70% of Codexers).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom