Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STEAM turns into hardware-based DRM, fanlords rejoice

baronjohn

Cipher
Sometimes limiting what you can do with the stuff you’ve bought isn’t such a bad thing.
Spoken like a true moran :x

[..] you’ll apparently need one of the second-generation Intel Core CPUs (Sandy Bridge et al) and associated motherboard, which will soon be updated with something called Intel Identity Protection Technology (IPT). This is hardware-based DRM, essentially, designed to mean that you can only access Steam (and presumably other types of account) with pre-approved hardware. “IPT generates a new numerical password every 30 seconds, integrating into the processor functionality that previously required a separate card or key fob”, it says here.
Apparently, it's not like an attacker can root your Wintendo and then fuck with your steam account.

Processors apparently so good that they prompted Gabe Newell to say they’re “a game-changer” and will “bring a console-like experience to PC.”
:rage:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03 ... -password/

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
Welcome to the future.
This vision of a better cyberspace was conceived by such visionaries as Bill Gates back in the late nineties.
The future is Trusted Computing and what a glorious future it is.

Seriously though, the day Steam implements this shit is the day I stop using it. Besides, all security systems get hacked and this will be no exception.

"Game changer", my fluffy ass.

Destroid

Arcane
Way to misrepresent the article. It's talking about a security feature, which of course could be used as DRM in the future but at this stage it is not, and only functions on specific hardware anyway.

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
This is Trusted Computing by another name. It will start out small, but then other vendors will start requiring it too and it will become mandatory for even booting up Windows.

Fuck that.

Angthoron

Arcane
Destroid said:
Way to misrepresent the article. It's talking about a security feature, which of course could be used as DRM in the future but at this stage it is not, and only functions on specific hardware anyway.

Optional is one executive decision away from mandatory.

Achilles

Arcane
I don't know, it doesn't seem so evil to me. It's true that it may be used for hardware-based DRM in the future, but for now it's just an optional thing . I am a little worried by I still trust Valve to not go that far.

baronjohn

Cipher
Alexandros said:
I don't know, it doesn't seem so evil to me. It's true that it may be used for hardware-based DRM in the future, but for now it's just an optional thing . I am a little worried by I still trust Valve to not go that far.
Like a cow to the slaughter.

Gord

Arcane
Depending on how that turns out, it might well be the nail to the coffin that makes me stop using Steam again.

If that means that I have to bypass drm to the games I rightfully aqquired, be it so.

But we will see, in the meantime I will certainly think twice before buying any game on Steam that's not in the bargain bin.

MapMan

Arcane
Hahaha. You buy a game (OEM version :smug: ) and then when you change your cpu you loose the game. :yeah:

MapMan said:
Hahaha. You buy a game (OEM version :smug: ) and then when you change your cpu you loose the game. :yeah:

Plus they know what you play when you play at all times and you can't run anything without network connection.

Gerrard

Arcane
This is what you get for supporting Intel.

Also broken mainboards and getting your CPU remotely disabled.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This is too much of a one-sided deal for it to be anything but a screwover for the user.

IMO Valve needs to make a compromise, even when this is still optional at this stage. An idea off the top of my head would be that you're entitled to a (partial) refund for your Steam titles if you lose your account while under this new "protection" scheme.

My patience with Steam and Valve is just about running out.

Gondolin

Arcane
If that means that I have to bypass drm to the games I rightfully aqquired, be it so.

You don't rightfully acquired a game. You rightfully acquire the privilege to play a game, a privilege granted under certain conditions which can be revoked any time the owner of the game (i.e. NOT you) feels like it.

Rogue

Educated
bring a console-like experience to PC

baronjohn said:
Alexandros said:
Like a cow to the slaughter.

Indeed. I always enjoy watching the massacre myself. :rpgcodex:

racofer

Thread Incliner
2uj3xcj.jpg
+
ilejon.jpg

:love: :love: :love: :love:

baronjohn

Cipher
I think in about 5 years Valve will make this mandatory, citing "increasing levels of account theft". Six months later AMD will come out with their own variant. 5 years later, the US will make it illegal to own a CPU without DRM and it will push the law on other first world countries as well (like it did the Disney copyright act and now ACTA).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom