Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Obsidian working on 1 Slam Dunk, 2 Original Titles

Vibalist

Arcane
Good ones, people. :lol:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I think one of them is Arcanum II. I don't know who owns the license for it (Boyarsky? Cain?) so that might be an issue. The other is probably IWD III.

Exmit

Scholar
MCA slam dunking Uruqhart in New Vegas (the interactive role-adventure playing game also known as I R A RPG) - an original IP of glorious proportions based on MCA's memoires from wild Las Vegas extravaganzas extraordinaires.
:mca:

ElectricOtter

Barrow_Bug said:
ElecTriCotter said:
Barrow_Bug said:
Oh cool ETC. What about Oreo's. Are then in fact from Oregon. This matters, man.
Naw, bro, those are from NYC.

Well, shit. You learn something new every day. Also, how's things? I'm happy to see that the decline continues ever onward.
Nomask7 left in shame after sending a PM to SMA saying he wanted her to move into his place and shit on his chest. As for me, uh... well you should probably read this, but other than that I'm p. much the same.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Jaesun said:
GarfunkeL said:
Arcanum is owned by Sierra.

Activision owns Sierra, If I am not mistake. So they own the rights.

Not that I don't trust a bunch of random dudes on the internet, but is this in writing somewhere, so I can read it?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Decado said:
Jaesun said:
GarfunkeL said:

Not that I don't trust a bunch of random dudes on the internet, but is this in writing somewhere, so I can read it?

Do you even understand the basics of how games are made? jesus.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Jaesun said:
Decado said:
Jaesun said:
GarfunkeL said:

Evidently more than you. Licenses get traded/go into default all the fucking time, you arrogant moron. It has nothing to do with "making games" and everything to do with the legalities of owning intellectual properties. Troika developed Arcanum on their own, with Sierra as a publisher. Publishers do not automatically own every property they publish. Just like an author of a novel still retains the copyrights for his work if he switches publishers, unless he has made an agreement to the contrary (which does happen). In fact, if you knew anything about Troika, you'd know that they originally planned to have everything published by Sierra, but ended up having each game published by a different company.

In short, it could easily happen both ways -- Sierra could own the rights to the property, or it could be still owned by the former Troika developers. Your level of certainty is really not warranted, considering you just showed how you don't know what the fuck is going on.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Decado said:
Jaesun said:
Decado said:
Jaesun said:
GarfunkeL said:

Evidently more than you. Licenses get traded/go into default all the fucking time, you arrogant moron. It has nothing to do with "making games" and everything to do with the legalities of owning intellectual properties. Troika developed Arcanum on their own, with Sierra as a publisher. Publishers do not automatically own every property they publish. Just like an author of a novel still retains the copyrights for his work if he switches publishers, unless he has made an agreement to the contrary (which does happen). In fact, if you knew anything about Troika, you'd know that they originally planned to have everything published by Sierra, but ended up having each game published by a different company.

In short, it could easily happen both ways -- Sierra could own the rights to the property, or it could be still owned by the former Troika developers. Your level of certainty is really not warranted, considering you just showed how you don't know what the fuck is going on.

Well fuck me running. I didn't know what I don't know. Carry on professor.

:salute:

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Word Mark ARCANUM
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: COMPUTER GAME SOFTWARE [ AND INSTRUCTION MANUALS SOLD THEREWITH ]. FIRST USE: 19991004. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19991004
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 75809503
Filing Date September 27, 1999
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition May 2, 2000
Registration Number 2592227
Registration Date July 9, 2002
Owner (REGISTRANT) Sierra On-Line, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 6060 Center Drive, 5th floor Los Angeles CALIFORNIA 90045

(LAST LISTED OWNER) ACTIVISION PUBLISHING, INC. CORPORATION DELAWARE 3100 OCEAN PARK BOULEVARD SANTA MONICA CALIFORNIA 90405
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record Rod A. Rigole
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
source

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Troika always lamented that publishers got all the rights to their IP's as that was part of the deal to get publishers to finance them in the first place. But awfully bad news that Activision owns Sierra too :(

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Jim Cojones said:
Word Mark ARCANUM
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: COMPUTER GAME SOFTWARE [ AND INSTRUCTION MANUALS SOLD THEREWITH ]. FIRST USE: 19991004. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19991004
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 75809503
Filing Date September 27, 1999
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition May 2, 2000
Registration Number 2592227
Registration Date July 9, 2002
Owner (REGISTRANT) Sierra On-Line, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 6060 Center Drive, 5th floor Los Angeles CALIFORNIA 90045

(LAST LISTED OWNER) ACTIVISION PUBLISHING, INC. CORPORATION DELAWARE 3100 OCEAN PARK BOULEVARD SANTA MONICA CALIFORNIA 90405
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record Rod A. Rigole
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
source

Thanks! :salute:

aboyd

Liturgist
jiujitsu said:
There can't be a PS:T 2. It would be too hard to live up to the original.
I wouldn't mind a PS:T 2 that was simply like the other Planescape games that have come out (or been rumored) since. There was that Planescape trilogy that seemed promising, that NWN plane-hopping module (Tales of Arterra, or something like that -- I loved that one when it came out), and a couple of others that I'm forgetting. I just would like to see a game that employed a lot of that weirdness again. I actually like the Cant, and like the idea of rats/rags/eyeballs/tattoos being used in lieu of healing potions or whatever. I like the dialogue, liked the way the physical properties of the planes were able to morph from concepts & alignments, and so on. Also, the companions were so completely out of left field (for me) that I felt it wasn't the same old stale elf/dwarf/human mix.

If there was a PS:T 2 that rehashed TNO, I might not like it. But if there was a PS:T 2 that was simply set on the planes with a new story and had a lot of that otherworldly feel going for it, and memorable characters, I think I'd really like it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom