Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Statement as to recent site slowdowns and related issues

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Restrict access to all forums except, News, Tacticular Cancer, the Playground and General RPG Discussion to members.

Remove hosted forums that no longer are needed. I don't think that the Prelude to Darkness or Age of Decadence forums are a huge drag, but still.

Ban Prosper

In general, ban a whole lot of people spamming /gd/

YourConscience

Scholar
How about making a CodexApp for the android market and set the price point to $0.99. If half of those 200.000 visitors buy it, you've got your server cost covered for the next century. Make the app simply open the browser to the codex. Be open about the fact that buying the app is simply a form of donation.

Allanon

Augur
Disable GD altogether. Shit hole full of racists and morons that has no place on a rpg forum so just redirect them to 4chan.

torpid

Liturgist
So this is why Jaesun was locking threads left and right. I say keep the forum moderation as it was before without the heavy-handed babysitting, but flush GD down the toilet. There are quite a few posters who only post/spam in GD, so they're basically a waste of space on what is still a gaming forum.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
DarkUnderlord said:
Everything other than News and even that too if it becomes necessary. We'll close each one off to the public as required. Starting with GD and working our way up.

I never thought of myself as seperate from "the public" before.

ironyuri

Azael said:
Restrict access to all forums except, News, Tacticular Cancer, the Playground and General RPG Discussion to members.

Remove hosted forums that no longer are needed. I don't think that the Prelude to Darkness or Age of Decadence forums are a huge drag, but still.

Ban Prosper

In general, ban a whole lot of people spamming /gd/

You just repeated my suggestions. God damn old fags plagiarising my work.

Incidentally, I have another suggestion: We have many avatars and have been adding more lately. Why not be realistic and just remove non-RPG avatars again?

The Duke Nukem ones etc are cool, but it was not an rpg. Cut back on avatars and only upload avatars from crpgs. Would save a hell of alot of space I'm sure.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Has registration been closed? If not, let's. In fact, keep it closed for a long time to keep Prosper et al from registering alts/new spamming accounts. No one needs those.

Otherwise, I'll throw my vote in re: keeping access to registered members only. That is the path to becoming truly prestigious.

ironyuri

LittleJoe said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Everything other than News and even that too if it becomes necessary. We'll close each one off to the public as required. Starting with GD and working our way up.

I thought I was a part of the community, now I'm just a member of "the public"

Reminds me of:

"I thought I was a part of the community, now I'm just British/Canadian/Australian".

Bog off back to Bioware Social and make yourself an image bar for your faggot signature.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I say, we leave only RPG discussion available to the common crowd. Maybe also General Gaming. The rest i.e. General Discussion, Codex Library and Codex Playground should be made user only venues.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
ironyuri said:
LittleJoe said:
DarkUnderlord said:

Reminds me of:

"I thought I was a part of the community, now I'm just British/Canadian/Australian".

Bog off back to Bioware Social and make yourself an image bar for your faggot signature.

Isn't that the opposite of what I wrote?

Good luck being a codexian, it's not actually a real place you know.

waywardOne

Arcane
here we go. this is 3:30am here.

wtfguests.jpg

bots? that can't all be butthurt biofags.

ironyuri

LittleJoe said:
ironyuri said:
LittleJoe said:
DarkUnderlord said:

Reminds me of:

Isn't that the opposite of what I wrote?

Good luck being a codexian, it's not actually a real place you know.

Woops. Looks like the faux pas is le mien. Sincerement, tu as mes excuses.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
DarkUnderlord said:
If the upgrade doesn't work, then we *may* be at the point of doing the whole dual / multiple server thing and looking into whatever is required to split a website up over two servers and how that all works (I'm a PHP code junkie, not a server guy so I have no idea).

That will help a lot. Typically you would use 1 server to run httpd and another one to run mysql.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
the codex is mentioned in pretty much every bioware hate thread on /v/ since this whole DA2 thing, and that place gets millions of unique visits every month. DU you should email moot and ask him to wordfilter RPGCodex.net to ESF or something.

Remove avatars and replace them with ads. Remove signatures and replace them with ads. Remove post contents and replace them with ads.

Closed forums. You can only access General RPG without a membership card.

Closed registration. To register you need to formally apply to join this prestigious internets club. BLOBERT should be put in charge of handing applications and weeding out popamolers.

And finally. Start with banning all members registered after 1973 or so. I will get banned but I believe in sacrifice for the greater good. :salute:

XenomorphII

Prophet
So you want a dark gritty reboot of the Codex?

Edit: Forgot to say would much prefer annual fundraisers over pay forum if it should come to that point. Also Having GRPG, Gaming, and News as the only public forums, with the rest as members only sounds good.

Dark & Gritty is so popamole and current gen. How about something more retro? I was thinking something like a mix of Knight Rider and The Love Boat.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Ah but if you do a D&G popamole reboot as a side project and fill it with really obnoxious, rake in the dough ads it could be used to raise funds for us here, and the next geners will probably find it AWESOME.

Dicksmoker said:
Zed said:
possible not-too-retarded things to counter some unnecessary load:

1) higher moderation in the sense that multiple threads on the same subject get locked, not cracking down on trolls and shit but just cut down on inane threads in the Gaming sections.
That would encourage longer threads, which DU said is a big problem.

But the higher moderation would take care of that - mod only needs to swoop in and lock a thread when it's almost reaching >1000 posts, which is when the problems start to show up acording to DU.

I think having a single, longer "DA2 user reviews" thread would be better than dozens of "My DA2 review".

The Duke Nukem ones etc are cool, but it was not an rpg. Cut back on avatars and only upload avatars from crpgs. Would save a hell of alot of space I'm sure.
Not sure if serious....

Also, I have a much better idea to raise funds. I mean, Codex was banned from TESF after the oblivion review, right? This means that developers care about their reputation on forums like these. Let us ask them exactly how much they care for it, measured in $. If a developer doesn't pay up, we write another review. If they do, we remove them :thumbsup:

Gord

Arcane
herostratus said:
Also, I have a much better idea to raise funds. I mean, Codex was banned from TESF after the oblivion review, right? This means that developers care about their reputation on forums like these. Let us ask them exactly how much they care for it, measured in $.

So you want to transform the codex into another gaming magazine?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom