Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

One thing that was completely fucked up in Fallout...

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Serus said:
Azrael the cat said:
Surf Solar said:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57362

Eliminates all your complaints.

And yeah, in original FO1, Companions were rather a bonus, then a full fledged out feauture.

Lol at Bethesda using the same excuse to explain why several of the companions make the game ending (much more) illogical, all these years later.
Yep, if a feature was poorly implemented in a game you like its "rather a bonus" (good for what it is ?) not a flaw. Talk about double standards.

So what? No one said Fallout (or other liked games around here) are flawless. Everyone who says that is a moron. I've linked to the mod which fixes some problems - take it or not - but don't whine that no one adressed this feauture yet.

Daemongar said:
They made a decision to make the companions autonomous in a game that came out 15 years ago, and you don't like it. I get it. The AI of the companions was crappy, yup, but so was party AI in every game at the time.

Just don't say the game would have been better without the companion feature, that would be pretty dumb. Sulik, Dogmeat, Myron, Cleve: all these NPC's contributed and added a lot to the game, even if they played the fool when combat started.

Exactly.

kmnWolfman

Educated
You do need a way to differentiate between recruitable NPC and other NPCs. Usually I use companions and NPCs. I'm not sure where I picked up the term but it's something that stuck with me.

Smiffy

Novice
That FO is not perfect seems beside the point. I think anybody who has played FO can list at least half a dozen things which could "really be done better".
I don't know why FO is considered a somewhat proverbial good game here, but I know why that is so for me. Because everything in FO seems a means to and end, which is: to make a good game.
This, for me at least, sets it apart from so many other games which are catered towards making good profit. I don't at any time have the feeling that a feature in FO has been included or not included because it might raise or lower the sales. I don't at any time feel manipulated to act in a certain way or to feel in a certain way. FO seems delivered as if the devs had said:"This is our game about a post-nuclear world. It's the best what we with our time, ressources and talent could come up with. We hope you like it but make of it what you will."

Rogue

Educated
I'm replaying FO2 after many years and I did not have to leave anyone behind because they all do just fine. I have 5 people with me (Sulik, Cassidy, Vic, Myron, Marcus). I gave them all, except Marcus, power armor and weapons like gauss rifles and pulse pistols. Plus I tell them to spread out a bit so they're not in my face (combat or no combat).

There is a mod for FO1 that allows your companions to change armor. You can give all three of them combat armor for example. But then again that makes the game a bit too easy perhaps.

Smiffy said:
That FO is not perfect seems beside the point. I think anybody who has played FO can list at least half a dozen things which could "really be done better".
I don't know why FO is considered a somewhat proverbial good game here, but I know why that is so for me. Because everything in FO seems a means to and end, which is: to make a good game.
This, for me at least, sets it apart from so many other games which are catered towards making good profit. I don't at any time have the feeling that a feature in FO has been included or not included because it might raise or lower the sales. I don't at any time feel manipulated to act in a certain way or to feel in a certain way. FO seems delivered as if the devs had said:"This is our game about a post-nuclear world. It's the best what we with our time, ressources and talent could come up with. We hope you like it but make of it what you will."

You can say the same about so many games in the 80s and 90s though. Origin lived by their mantra of making worlds rather than products right up until EA bought them - every Ultima game from 1-7 is a labour of love, and given the work that went into it, the shenanigans with making their own memory system just to fit all the stuff they wanted into the game for hardware that really wasn't ready for it, U7 probably tops FO for the 'we want to make the best game we can' mentality. The Wizardry games were labours of love as well - if nothing else, you can't say that anyone would have made Wiz4 a compulsory mention whenever 'hardest crpg/computer-game ever' gets mentioned (with really only one crpg challenger, being that Ultima-clone-in-Japan game) because it would sell the most copies that way. If anything, the early Wizardry games fell into the trap of the designers going 'lets have fun making this as hard as we can, with as many completely unfair bits requiring fuckloads of playthroughs (to even realise there's a map oddity there, let alone working out what it might be, and what the trick to get in is) to have a hope of getting the ultimate Wiz4 ending', where they're having fun more for their sake then the players, but that in itself tells you what a labour of love games were in those days.

In terms of games akin to FO's spirit of 'make a good game', I'd include also include the run of Thief, System Shock and Deus Ex games. PS:T can't be explained in any other way - just flew under the radar and so had creative freedom.

There's always been the money-grabbers as well. Even in the 80s they were there, taking 20c after 20c of kids in arcade parlours with absurd sub-level time limits designed to ensure that the game can't be completed without a fuckload of extra credits, or levels designed to be deceptively difficult to suck in the 'one more credit' mentality. I remember loving those places, but realising even as an 8 year old that they were ripping me off - you could clearly contrast a game like Double Dragon that was beatable by a skilled 2-player co-op team on one credit each (solo was tougher) if you played well vs most games (including the DD sequels, sadly) that were designed to eat coins.

If there's a difference, it's that in the early days of home computer game tech, there were (entirely predictably) a disproportionate number of 'labours of love' out of the hit games. But it really wasn't until around 2002 that you really struggle to find games with a clear 'make a good game first and foremost' design.

DraQ

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
If there's a difference, it's that in the early days of home computer game tech, there were (entirely predictably) a disproportionate number of 'labours of love' out of the hit games. But it really wasn't until around 2002 that you really struggle to find games with a clear 'make a good game first and foremost' design.
Well, less games were designed by committees then.

As for being labour of love, it leaves certain feel in game most of the time - it's let's press the button and see make something awesome happen! Today such games are incredibly rare, but Divinity 2 had this feel.

Beth's games lost it after Morrowind and I don't think they will ever regain it.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Rogue said:
I'm replaying FO2 after many years and I did not have to leave anyone behind because they all do just fine. I have 5 people with me (Sulik, Cassidy, Vic, Myron, Marcus). I gave them all, except Marcus, power armor and weapons like gauss rifles and pulse pistols. Plus I tell them to spread out a bit so they're not in my face (combat or no combat).

There is a mod for FO1 that allows your companions to change armor. You can give all three of them combat armor for example. But then again that makes the game a bit too easy perhaps.
Tell me where did you get the fourth suit of power armor since when I played Fallout 2 I found only the Navarro, San Fran, and Oil Rig ones.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can buy regular power armor from the merchants in San Francisco. There's also a suit in the military base. There are only two suits of advanced power armor, though - one in navarro and one on the oil rig.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Xor said:
You can buy regular power armor from the merchants in San Francisco. There's also a suit in the military base. There are only two suits of advanced power armor, though - one in navarro and one on the oil rig.
I'll have to remember this in another replay of the game.

easychord

Liturgist
Carceri said:
What is this bullshit with 'companions'?! Is it not politically correct anymore to call them NPCs?

You are supposed to have tender emotional relationships with them now like Alexander the Great had with his companion cavalry. It's a more historically accurate term and that is important to the hardcore gamer.

Rogue

Educated
Krap said:
Xor said:
I'll have to remember this in another replay of the game.

Like Xor said. That merchant on the left side of the SF main street constantly restocks Power Armor (1st table). That I'm sure of. Forgot about the one on the right side ... maybe he does too. Anyway check back periodically.

Also make sure you talk to that Hubologist guy who can upgrade 2 suits. So at the very end you can have 2× Hardened PA and 2× Advanced PA.

I just finished clearing out Navarro. Those poor people didn't stand a chance. I just walked through the main gate and annihilated everything. What I didn't kill with my Sniper + Better Crits + 10 Luck + 10 Perception, the rest of the team just utterly destroyed. Vic and Cassidy each shoot twice with Gauss Rifle at insane range, Marcus shoots twice with Turbo Plasma and melts everything, Sulik does surprisingly high damage with .223 pistol (he can shoot twice and reload in one turn) and Myron actually isn't completely useless with Gauss Pistol after he levels up.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Surf Solar said:
Serus said:
Azrael the cat said:
Surf Solar said:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57362

Eliminates all your complaints.

And yeah, in original FO1, Companions were rather a bonus, then a full fledged out feauture.

Lol at Bethesda using the same excuse to explain why several of the companions make the game ending (much more) illogical, all these years later.
Yep, if a feature was poorly implemented in a game you like its "rather a bonus" (good for what it is ?) not a flaw. Talk about double standards.

So what? No one said Fallout (or other liked games around here) are flawless. Everyone who says that is a moron.
Ok, if so then we can agree. I tought your argument was:
Companions are only a bonus not full feature ---> a bonus can't have flaws.
If it isn't the case i apologize.

Surf Solar said:
Daemongar said:
They made a decision to make the companions autonomous in a game that came out 15 years ago, and you don't like it. I get it. The AI of the companions was crappy, yup, but so was party AI in every game at the time.

Just don't say the game would have been better without the companion feature, that would be pretty dumb. Sulik, Dogmeat, Myron, Cleve: all these NPC's contributed and added a lot to the game, even if they played the fool when combat started.

Exactly.
Yes, the AI was crappy (and there are a few other problems). Its not about me liking anything or not. It just is.

I just don't say - and never said. Because i don't know. The companions add some nice flavor to the game but aren't crucial. And perhpas instead of them the F1 devs could have worked on something else even better. Who knows ? I certainly don't. Contrary to some other people in this thread (and people who agree with them) i am not claiming to be omniscient.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom