Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Felicia Day's favorite game is Planescape: Torment

Dr.Faust said:
Futile Rhetoric said:
Ha ha ha ha.

Final verdict: Joined: 02 Dec 2010

Not cool, broski. My first account was created in april 2006.

What's the point of judging people by account creation date?

My account can be 2011 but my first finished rpg was one of gold box pool of radience series ;)

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Kalin said:
the silly fact that one does not need to gather one's party in order to venture forth.
:lol:

Still, if Fallout and PST are not names you can drop when talking about games that tried to make combat way more "optional" than most games of the genre...

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Kalin said:
In Baldur's Gate, all you have to do is cast invisibility on your party members, and then you can basically walk through any encounter with ease.

I do remember the famed dialogue ambush, where you are addressed even if you are invisible, and it happened quite a lot, by the way. :M

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Kalin said:
I had never even heard of her until I came upon this animated thread. She made me wish that I had refrained from opening it. Might sound a bit harsh, I realise, but beyond her exterior lurks good reasons for righteous animosity.

For starters, she claimed that the Nameless One is inherently evil, but we all know that he starts off as neutral, and that he can easily be guided towards any alignment. Methinks she just judged the fellow by his appearance and the rather grim settings he happened to wake up in.

Further, she claimed that combat can easily be avoided. Dialogue is indeed the main focus of the game, but there are several bosses that one must fight, and plenty of creatures to kill in-between. Planescape: Torment may not have as many hostile encounters as games plagued by filler combat (i.e. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn), but it certainly has enough to keep people occupied. As for those who are so completely warped by grinding-culture or digital bloodlust that the amount of default combat seems insufficient, well, they can always make good use of the lovely force-attack button and pick their own enemies.

Twice wrong, therefore, this girl is nothing but an ignorant posturer and a malicious maker of lies. As far as attractiveness goes, I imagine that she might be somewhat appealing if she had the sense to refrain from speaking. It would create an illusion of her being almost human. As it is, I would be reluctant to defile her even with a really long poking-stick crafted solely for impersonal interaction with contagious specimens, and that from the very safest of distances. Final verdict: 0/10.

FFS, give the bitch a break. Sounded to me she was going from memory of playing the game years ago. She even got the name wrong.

You don't have to be a fucking fat, four-eyed, pock faced, basement dwelling nerd to enjoy a good RPG and you don't have to know every fucking detail of the game or game systems. So what, she got a few details wrong.

Also, said snot nosed nobody basement dweller judging her "attractiveness" - don't make me laugh.

Bitch means nothing to me (never heard of her before this), but you clearly do. :salute:

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Krraloth said:
Kalin said:
In Baldur's Gate, all you have to do is cast invisibility on your party members, and then you can basically walk through any encounter with ease.

I do remember the famed dialogue ambush, where you are addressed even if you are invisible, and it happened quite a lot, by the way. :M

Indeed, but quite a lot is quite an exaggeration, and it was fairly easy to escape from such encounters, for example by exiting the areas, or just by running outside the enemy's field of vision. They could cause problems the first time one encountered them, but then again, exploiting the game's weaknesses would require some kind of foreknowledge, or so I would assume.

SCO said:
Trias can be avoided.

Not in terms of whether you have to fight him or not. While it is true that you do not have to kill him, you are required to injure him to the point where he yields. Technically, you can not kill Ravel either (even though it certainly seems as if you do) so the only individuals that you *must* slay in order to forward the story are Ignus/Vhalior and that (un)fortunate zombie back in the Mortuary. I suppose you might also count the practical incarnation, because the absorption never did strike me as being perfectly consensual. Then again, it might have been that his eyes somehow said yes.

Point is, rushing through the games and avoiding close to all of the combat is not something that your typical player would ever do, much less contemplate. Planescape: Torment certainly does not encourage such a playstyle, and a purely pacifist route is not even possible.

Jools said:
DragoFireheart said:
Zed said:
She's trying too hard selling herself as a nerd dream.

She probably is one already, tho. Along with Olivia Munn and the likes of.

I never saw the attraction, myself. In my opinion, a good female mate should not sit around and play games all day, nor should she disturb those who do. Ideally, she should cultivate wholesome, feminine interests, primarily pertaining to cooking, cleaning and flower arrangements. That way, she would always have something to do while her mate would engage in righteous gaming, and once he would finish for the day, the fruits of her labour would lift his spirits and thus strengthen their union. Clearly a win-win situation, no?

The concept of the nerd princess is ultimately flawed, and nothing good can ever come out of it.

AlaCarcuss said:
Bitch means nothing to me (never heard of her before this), but you clearly do. :salute:

I am deeply honoured that I have found a place within your heart.

As for the insignificant unappealing female who means nothing to you, her heresy has fueled the flames of righteous indignation, and as always, such feelings must be freely expressed so as to reaffirm our sound and proper values, and also, to serve as a warning to potential future heretics of her kind.

Deleted member 7219

Jim Cojones said:
Matt7895 said:
"You could basically go through the game only using dialog and not fighting at all."
That is a filthy lie. The last third of the game (i.e. everything after you leave Sigil) is pure combat.
Combat that you can easily avoid. Mechanics of avoiding it suck but it doesn't change the fact that you don't have to engage in combat. In the whole game you absolutely must fight one zombie, Ravel and Trias. That's all.

Please explain Curst, the prison and the outer planes you go to straight after.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Matt7895 said:
Jim Cojones said:
Matt7895 said:
"You could basically go through the game only using dialog and not fighting at all."
That is a filthy lie. The last third of the game (i.e. everything after you leave Sigil) is pure combat.
Combat that you can easily avoid. Mechanics of avoiding it suck but it doesn't change the fact that you don't have to engage in combat. In the whole game you absolutely must fight one zombie, Ravel and Trias. That's all.

Please explain Curst, the prison and the outer planes you go to straight after.

Just run away from the demons. FFS. It's not the game's fault you're retarded.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Dr.Faust said:
Futile Rhetoric said:
Ha ha ha ha.

Final verdict: Joined: 02 Dec 2010

Not cool, broski. My first account was created in april 2006.

That's what the all say. Funny enough, I used to post back in 2005-2006, too, but the e-mail account it was tied to expired.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Kalin said:
I had never even heard of her until I came upon this animated thread. She made me wish that I had refrained from opening it. Might sound a bit harsh, I realise, but beyond her exterior lurks good reasons for righteous animosity.

For starters, she claimed that the Nameless One is inherently evil, but we all know that he starts off as neutral, and that he can easily be guided towards any alignment. Methinks she just judged the fellow by his appearance and the rather grim settings he happened to wake up in.

Further, she claimed that combat can easily be avoided. Dialogue is indeed the main focus of the game, but there are several bosses that one must fight, and plenty of creatures to kill in-between. Planescape: Torment may not have as many hostile encounters as games plagued by filler combat (i.e. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn), but it certainly has enough to keep people occupied. As for those who are so completely warped by grinding-culture or digital bloodlust that the amount of default combat seems insufficient, well, they can always make good use of the lovely force-attack button and pick their own enemies.

Twice wrong, therefore, this girl is nothing but an ignorant posturer and a malicious maker of lies. As far as attractiveness goes, I imagine that she might be somewhat appealing if she had the sense to refrain from speaking. It would create an illusion of her being almost human. As it is, I would be reluctant to defile her even with a really long poking-stick crafted solely for impersonal interaction with contagious specimens, and that from the very safest of distances. Final verdict: 0/10.
:lol: Bro, you seriously need to go get laid.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
Her face. Looking at it hurts.

Faggot! Seriously dude, she's a perfectly normal looking girl, what's wrong with you? It fucking hurts you to look at her? Really? I mean this place is fun and all and I'll certainly keep hanging around but fuck if there aren't some seriously questionable persons around here.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Xor said:
Just run away from the demons. FFS. It's not the game's fault you're retarded.
Running away from enemies you can easily kill isn't a natural reaction. That's something one would only do if a) you just suck and have no choice b) someone told you to do that or c) you've already played through it and don't want to deal with that shit, having the confidence that the experience gain you miss out on won't matter.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Multidirectional said:
Faggot! Seriously dude, she's a perfectly normal looking girl, what's wrong with you?.

Some of us want to improve the quality of the race.

Sex is not just sex. It is the triumph of the male Will over the feminine void.

It is Serious Business.

A Man must subjugate his ideal to emerge stronger. Any woman short of that ideal is of no consequence.

Hate - the active male principle - must meet it's antithesis and overcome.

Black said:
Multidirectional said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Her face. Looking at it hurts.

Faggot! Seriously dude, she's a perfectly normal looking girl
That's why it hurts us.

Real codex dweller don't care about normal looking girls when he have terabytes of best ones ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom