Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The inevitable decline

Captain Shrek

Last edited by a moderator:

FatCat

Educated
Once broader audience is archived and competition will grow tremendously , many developers will be forced to make games for a specific group of people just so they wouldn't get overflowed by all the other games.This decline won't last forever.

MajorNova

Novice
Compare budget for Fallout 1-2 and then for Fallout 3.

Video games are big business , and you are just random consumer taking concept of digital entertainment far too seriously.

MajorNova

Novice
using 4chan memes is a sign of quality posting.

lol jk it makes you a terrible faggot

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Captain Shrek said:
The Kotaku article was the last straw I can bear. We are officially endangered species gentlemen. Let me put into words what I believe is the reason we will soon be extinct:

Know, O codexer, that between the years when the oceans drank Baldur's gate and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Neverwinter, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining games lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Fallout, Might&Magic, Planescape, Krondor with its intelligent plots and mature themes, jagged Alliance with its tactics,Deus Ex that bordered on a shooter, Morrowind with its shadow-guarded tombs, Vampires: The bloodlines whose Malkavians wore top-hats and furs. But the proudest game of the world was Arcanum, reigning supreme in the dreaming western RPGs.

So...... what happened?

The_Sims_Coverart.png

These games were mostly market bombs. Even the successful one's catered audience that was measured in thousands. Then came the time of the great plague. The Sims was released. Suddenly Sales of computer games started to touch numbers then unimaginable; millions! RPG makers who couldn't dream of competing with Shooters and MMO's realized to their unholy glee that great monies were theirs if they could cater to the tastes of the damned under the guise of an RPG. Thus began the second coming of Bioware with its Waifus and Faggotry. Not that Waifus were scarce and non-existent before. But now they were the focus of the games. Mature suddenly meant Gay and immershun meant 'Romance'.

Casual gamers that played farmwille and read twilight, wanted sparkling suckers and not cool-cats of Bloodlines. The industry recognized this and supplied in abundance.

Know, that these failbookers outnumber us one to ten-thousand. They can't multiply or divide, they can't be arsed to calculate probability. Heck, they wan't a fast forward button for combat. Their weapons are rhino skin of ignorance and brain full of shit. Our weapons are reason and experience. This is a battle we can never win, unless Obsidian determines that making a good RPG is a nobler goal than making money.

Until then, our eyes will have to rest on the vapourware horizon of the Indie games.

0/10

Captain Shrek

I think its more relevant to to the RPG discussion forum Jaesun.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually 4chan uses Codex memes :/

I was browsing /tg/ earlier and I saw a post that mentioned tasteful rape.

And now, :x.
Know, that these failbookers outnumber us one to ten-thousand. They can't multiply or divide, they can't be arsed to calculate probability. Heck, they wan't a fast forward button for combat. Their weapons are rhino skin of ignorance and brain full of shit. Our weapons are reason and experience.

Could you be more pretentious? For fuck's sake. It's so easy to blame the unwashed masses for the decline of your beloved "true RPGs". I've been holding back this rant since you started posting your blame-the-customer shit threads, but I can't fucking hold back any more.

It is insulting and also completely wrong to dismiss the majority of the world's population as retarded simply because they don't enjoy the same kind of entertainment as you, and doing so only exposes your ignorance. Sit down, shut up, and let me teach you a few things about the state of the game industry.

First of all, so-called "casual" gamers are people who play Farmville or Bejeweled. They don't fucking buy shit like Dragon Age. They never have and they never will. Any game targeted to that demographic tends to either do incredibly well (Wii Sports, The Sims) or incredibly poorly, and the latter is usually because developers constantly underestimate the "casual" market and assume they'll buy any shit that gets thrown at them (sound familiar?). They do not, or many of the completely shitty console games trying to draw that demographic would sell better. See the Kinect, Move, and their related games, none of which are going to have very long lifespans.

A better term for this demographic would be non-gamer, because that's what they are. They don't play video games and they don't want to, but they see these light and seemingly simple games as just another form of entertainment. It is incredibly unlikely that playing The Sims will make them transition to other forms of gaming. Games that appeal to this demographic tend to be simple on the surface so the non-gamer can spend as little time as they want playing without penalty; in the real world, adults rarely have time to sit down and play a video game for 12 hours in between working full time, maintaining a home, and raising two kids. At the same time, these games need to be complex enough for repeated play, because otherwise they become boring.

In fact, the real problem here is actually the "hardcore" gamer. They are the ones who are more likely to buy anything regardless of content; they are the ones who often praise developers no matter what the subject. When Bioware dumbed down DA2, they didn't do so in order to reach non-gamers, they did so in order to reach as many hardcore gamers as possible. Just read Laidlaw interviews leading up to the release and you'll see it. They were aiming for the Call of Duty crowd, not the Wii Fit crowd. It's that attitude - an attempt to blur genre lines to reach as many of the hardcore as possible - that has been the single biggest contributor to the decline of the game industry. Many other factors, like rising development costs and copycat games, are just symptoms of that problem. I could write an entire rant on that subject but I'm really getting off topic.

You are also part of the decline. Pretentious faggots who want to blame the collapse of the industry on non-gamers instead of looking at the industry itself. You won't fix anything attacking the masses. It isn't their fault. Blame the publishers, the developers, and the gamers.

easychord

Liturgist
In the old days I do not believe we thought of things as proud hardcore gamer or casaulfag destroying gaming. We didn't care if women could also equally enjoy Pipe Mania, Sim City, Gabriel Knight or whatever. They were just good games. The boom in new PC gamers in the nineties brought along the "hardcore" FPS and RTS players who rejected everything that wasn't "hardcore" like slow beardy RPGs and dominated both the games press and sales charts. Women playing The Sims didn't do that shit.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Xor said:
Actually 4chan uses Codex memes :/

I was browsing /tg/ earlier and I saw a post that mentioned tasteful rape.

And now, :x.
Know, that these failbookers outnumber us one to ten-thousand. They can't multiply or divide, they can't be arsed to calculate probability. Heck, they wan't a fast forward button for combat. Their weapons are rhino skin of ignorance and brain full of shit. Our weapons are reason and experience.

Could you be more pretentious? For fuck's sake. It's so easy to blame the unwashed masses for the decline of your beloved "true RPGs". I've been holding back this rant since you started posting your blame-the-customer shit threads, but I can't fucking hold back any more.

It is insulting and also completely wrong to dismiss the majority of the world's population as retarded simply because they don't enjoy the same kind of entertainment as you, and doing so only exposes your ignorance. Sit down, shut up, and let me teach you a few things about the state of the game industry.

First of all, so-called "casual" gamers are people who play Farmville or Bejeweled. They don't fucking buy shit like Dragon Age. They never have and they never will. Any game targeted to that demographic tends to either do incredibly well (Wii Sports, The Sims) or incredibly poorly, and the latter is usually because developers constantly underestimate the "casual" market and assume they'll buy any shit that gets thrown at them (sound familiar?). They do not, or many of the completely shitty console games trying to draw that demographic would sell better. See the Kinect, Move, and their related games, none of which are going to have very long lifespans.

A better term for this demographic would be non-gamer, because that's what they are. They don't play video games and they don't want to, but they see these light and seemingly simple games as just another form of entertainment. It is incredibly unlikely that playing The Sims will make them transition to other forms of gaming. Games that appeal to this demographic tend to be simple on the surface so the non-gamer can spend as little time as they want playing without penalty; in the real world, adults rarely have time to sit down and play a video game for 12 hours in between working full time, maintaining a home, and raising two kids. At the same time, these games need to be complex enough for repeated play, because otherwise they become boring.

In fact, the real problem here is actually the "hardcore" gamer. They are the ones who are more likely to buy anything regardless of content; they are the ones who often praise developers no matter what the subject. When Bioware dumbed down DA2, they didn't do so in order to reach non-gamers, they did so in order to reach as many hardcore gamers as possible. Just read Laidlaw interviews leading up to the release and you'll see it. They were aiming for the Call of Duty crowd, not the Wii Fit crowd. It's that attitude - an attempt to blur genre lines to reach as many of the hardcore as possible - that has been the single biggest contributor to the decline of the game industry. Many other factors, like rising development costs and copycat games, are just symptoms of that problem. I could write an entire rant on that subject but I'm really getting off topic.

You are also part of the decline. Pretentious faggots who want to blame the collapse of the industry on non-gamers instead of looking at the industry itself. You won't fix anything attacking the masses. It isn't their fault. Blame the publishers, the developers, and the gamers.

:bravo:

Captain Shrek said:
Know, that these failbookers outnumber us one to ten-thousand.
Who is this "us" faggot?

You cant write funnies for shit. Go take some lessons from Volly, moran!

r00ffles!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't even know what a hardcore gamer is. Are CoD fans hardcore gamers? They tend to buy one game and spend all their time playing that until the next CoD comes out. Or do hardcore gamers play many different kinds of games every year? You know, many of those puzzle games that house wives spend time on are infinitely more challenging that the vast majority of mainstream games. Wouldn't being good at puzzle games be more impressive than being good at Halo?

waywardOne

Arcane
i blame poor people.

computers used to be expensive, exotic items that only the semi-wealthy could afford and only the geeky elite would bother with. computer games were made for those people because stupid and/or poor people didn't have computers.

now that the unwashed masses have access to once-priveleged technology, you get DA2.

Captain Shrek

http://wiredcontroller.com/exclusive/st ... rims-stats

"Additionally, the class system is a tired and outdated mechanic in single player RPGs. It does serve its purpose in multiplayer and party based RPGs, but all it does is restrict growth in solo RPGs. The purpose of an RPG is to see your character grow and develop not just get better at one task. It will also give players more freedom and let them have more fun. For instance, my friend in Oblivion made an Orc Warrior, like myself, but decided he wanted to be a mage instead. So he just bought a bunch of spells and became a mage, but thanks to the restrictive class system and the choices he made at the beginning of the game (when he had no idea how he wanted to really play the game) his character was a rather bad mage. The system, in short, cut off organic growth, while character growth is supposed to be a staple of RPGs. When a mechanic impedes the overall goal of a game, it should be removed or fixed, there is no question about that, so why is there such a big fuss about the removal of the class system?"

FUCKING SHIT!!!!

I was never more unhappy to be right.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Gaming has turned from a nerdy niche hobby into a mainstream industry. That's all there is to it. Lame douches that call themselves hardcore gamerz are just another symptom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom