Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA's Syndicate is "more of a GTA wannabe"

Phelot

Arcane
I've never played Space Hulk the PC game, but I've had many a fun time playing the tabletop game.

Never played Syndicate Wars either... I was turned off by the 3D environment :lol:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Syndicate had a wonderful visual style. I liked Syndicate Wars, but not as much as Syndicate. Leveling buildings was cool, but it had a tendency to cause my game to crash, so...

Also, horribad intro graphics. I've always really loved good intros and cutscenes, and SW really disappointed from the first minute there.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
phelot said:
I've never played Space Hulk the PC game, but I've had many a fun time playing the tabletop game.
There's also a fanmade TB recreation of SH on PC which was released a few years ago.

phelot said:
Never played Syndicate Wars either... I was turned off by the 3D environment :lol:
SW graphics are my favourite 3D graphics. I love the building textures :love: . Also, it had realistic shadows and very nice 2D character graphics which had very nice watercolour-like colours :love: .

Phelot

Arcane
I was one of those people that raged when a 2D game had a sequel that went 3D.

But I always heard that Syndicate Wars is basically everything the first game was except better. Is this true?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
phelot said:
I was one of those people that raged when a 2D game had a sequel that went 3D.

But I always heard that Syndicate Wars is basically everything the first game was except better. Is this true?
It was linear, got too tough cars and miniguns got nerfed. Other than that, yes.

One thing I'd wish from a Syndicate remake would be making rebellion missions where one can send in agents to mow down mobs of armed civilians.

Destroid

Arcane
Miniguns became a starting weapon (for the Syndicate faction, the other guys started with Uzi) and all the weapons were less powerful - lasers and rocket launchers no longer kill instantly etc.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Destroid said:
Miniguns became a starting weapon (for the Syndicate faction, the other guys started with Uzi) and all the weapons were less powerful - lasers and rocket launchers no longer kill instantly etc.
Yeah. I didn't like it. They have inclined the sniper rifle, though.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't even understand why they bothered with the Syndicate brand. It's not like the target audience would have even been born when Syndicate was first released, never mind having played it or even known it existed. The old fuckers who remember it fondly will piss on this new iteration anyway.

Seems EA just wanted to troll the gnarled, hollow eyed veterans.

SoupNazi

Actually, I played Syndicate when I was a kid and my age group could still pretty much be the target audience (unless their target audience is 15 ... oh wait).

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
I hate this shit. If your going to bring back an old and beloved IP, have the decency to make a game that builds on the gameplay of the classic in questiion, not one that completely discards it, making a true revival even less likely. EA should have just come up with a new cyberpunk IP. Just like Beth should have made their own post-apocalyptic IP. Same goes for whoever is fucking up X-Com.

God damn I hate this shit. Hate. Hate. You know the fucking Ellison line.

commie said:
I don't even understand why they bothered with the Syndicate brand. It's not like the target audience would have even been born when Syndicate was first released, never mind having played it or even known it existed. The old fuckers who remember it fondly will piss on this new iteration anyway.

Seems EA just wanted to troll the gnarled, hollow eyed veterans.

It's like in case of Bethsheda graverobbing Fallout.

Those console tards feel inclined when they think they are playing one of legendary franchises now reborn to new papamole glory.

:mob:

Destroid

Arcane
The most annoying part about it is not the games themselves, but the way gaming 'journalists' will say it stays true to the things that made the original great and is a worthy successor and improvement.

DakaSha

Arcane
Claw said:
Syndicate had a wonderful visual style. I liked Syndicate Wars, but not as much as Syndicate. Leveling buildings was cool, but it had a tendency to cause my game to crash, so...

Also, horribad intro graphics. I've always really loved good intros and cutscenes, and SW really disappointed from the first minute there.

Personally I rate the intro as one of the best of all time and i even watch it once a month on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrruSboN1bQ

:love:

Music plays a large part though. amazing shit

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Morgoth said:
Were people seriously expecting a true successor with isometric view?

Goddamn the Codex is stupid...

Ah, but you cannot judge people because they have dreams, hopes and faith.

In this bleak Age of RetroRaping we desperately need dreamers.

Eyeball

Arcane
Hey, FO3 sold very well to the lolnoobconsolefag demographic the Codex enjoys hating, and that IP's old as hell.

To tell you the truth, I can see how a GTA-style Syndicate might be actually ENJOYABLE. As someone said, Syndicate was never so much about hardcore strategic thinking but more about spraying thousands of minigun rounds at enemy agents, vehicles and civilians with wild abandon and a GTA type engine with the ability to switch between your cyborgs would be a decent choice to emulate this in the 2000s.

If the ice-cold nihilistic vibe from the original game could be preserved, X-Treeem Synd could be a lot of fun, since Synd 1 was atmospheric above all things and relied heavily on its style to compensate for the pretty simple gameplay.

I maintain that the biggest reason Syndicate was a good game was the way it handled civilian casualties. As in, it didn't give a shit. The only difference between killing nobody besides your immediate target and doing a Srebrenica on the entire town was a number on your post-mission debriefing screen. Synd 1 is therefore the antithesis to games like Hitman or GTA1/2 and this really adds to the icy style of the game.

Destroid

Arcane
Eyeball said:
Hey, FO3 sold very well to the lolnoobconsolefag demographic the Codex enjoys hating, and that IP's old as hell.

There is no real way to know if the Fallout name had anything to do with it though. Bethesda were already on a roll with Morrowind and Oblivion, and Fallout 3 promised more of the same, except with guns.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
i never played any of the modern (non-top down) GTA´s so i dont know how exactly they play , but i could very well imagine a Syndicate remake similar in gameplay to a mix of (the best of ) Red Faction: Guerrila, Just Cause 2 and Prototype .... obviously with persuadertron mechanics and preferably without the various flaws of above mentioned games.

i d fucking love that kind of game even if werent a proper, faithfull sequel....

... but as the recent leaks/rumours hint at, it ll probably be another storyfag game where you experience the epic story of some dude fighting against the evil megacorporations including tons of cutscenes, scripts, linear level design and minimum gameplay. :salute:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
DakaSha said:
Personally I rate the intro as one of the best of all time and i even watch it once a month on youtube:

Music plays a large part though. amazing shit

Yeah, anyone who doesn't like it is a poopyhead.

MajorNova

Novice
GTA-style Syndicate game sounds good to me , always wanted cyberpunk themed gta clone. :thumbsup:

But in this case its gonna turn into mediocre cover shooter with derp flowing out of its ears. You can quote me on that, my vision is augmented.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Fuck you, top-down perspective is the best perspective.

Tho if they HAVE to make it an FPS, it's good at least that it's Starbreeze doing it. Chronicles of Riddick were p. nice after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom