Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just got a new system...need some modern RPG reccomendations

RolePlayer

Augur
I just got a new system that will allow me to play some modern games. I know the general consensus here is that MOST modern games (RPGs) suck and have no where near the depth/complexity/replay value of RPGs from the 90s-early part of the 21st century.

I'm looking for a modern game (something in the last 5 years or so) that is closest to the quality of, say: Planescape, Fallout, Morrowind, & Arcanum.

Is new Fallout Vegas any good? (forgive my ignorance, I've been out of the loop for a while)

SoupNazi

Yeah, New Vegas is possibly the only recent game that's worth your attention.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Congratulations, your system is now capable of running Mask of the Betrayer smoothly on the seminal Aurora engine.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
NWN2 + Expansions
The Witcher
Dragon Age: Origins
Risen
New Vegas
Divinity 2 DKS

Also, some say the Drakensang games are worth playing.

MMXI

Arcane
Congratulations! You can now run DOS games at 10,000 frames per second.

mondblut

Arcane
What MMXI said.

Also, LOL @ OP.

Ookay, your new system might actually handle Knights of the Chalice, or the imminent Grimoire release sometime in the coming century. But chances are, your old system could, too.

Captain Shrek

Dark Messiah: Combat
Alpha Protocol: C&C
Risen: Exploration
NWN2 + Expansions: Story (MoTB) and great RP
New Vegas: Exlporation + Fallout like atmosphere
Te Witcher: Because TW2 is coming and may be really good.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Well, the nicest thing about new computers is cranking the video settings and looking old games new ways.

You may wan to try FO3 with the upgraded textures from the nexus, plus all the other optional graphics packs. Same with NV. If you own Oblivion, you could do the same, but I don't want to get beat up so I'll skip that. But I'll second MotB. Also, probably isn't a problem for anyone, but you can also crank the settings in old games such as KotOR and have a very crisp expierience.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Also you get the magic of making your old games run on Windows 7 with the newer video drivers. When everything crashes, roll back your video driver to a previous one. That's about the best advice I can give.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
thesisko said:
NWN2 + Expansions
The Witcher
Dragon Age: Origins
Risen
New Vegas
Divinity 2 DKS

Also, some say the Drakensang games are worth playing.
All heartily recommended. Some people here dislike those games for various reasons, but I'd say they've all got some good qualities to them and are worth a try... can't really compare to the quality of older games, but I wouldn't say any of those qualify as outright bad. If you're a fan of older Infinity Engine etc. titles, then at the very least you should enjoy Neverwinter Nights 2 and possibly Dragon Age, while Risen, Divinity and New Vegas are more if you're interested in a sandboxy kind of RPG. None really qualifies as a "modern classic" but I don't think the state of affairs is nearly as bad as some make it out to be. The Witcher is definitely the most story-driven of them, but also the most linear, so you may not enjoy it depending on what you're looking for.

Oh, and although you could probably play it on a 386, Mount & Blade: Warband (or With Fire & Sword if you like muskets) is a lot of fun, though it's more along the lines of management/sim/sandbox with RPG trim than full-on RPG. You'll at least want to try out the demo. I could also say take a look out for the STALKER series if you want an open-world shooter with realistic ballistics and RPG-style quests and inventory management, with items taking place of stats etc.

SoupNazi

Yeah, I forgot Risen. Why would anyone want to recommend DA:O I will never understand however

Arcanoix

Scholar
sgc_meltdown said:
Congratulations, your system is now capable of running Mask of the Betrayer smoothly on the seminal Aurora engine.

Electron Engine, i.e. Aurora 2006, as opposed to BioWare's Aurora 2007 (Witcher) engine.

RolePlayer

Augur
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a sucker for the post apocalyptic environment of Fallout, so I'm going to go with that first.

sser

Arcane
Developer
There are also a lot of games on the horizon, too. Diablo 3, Deus Ex:HR, Skyrim, and I believe Dark Souls is coming to the PC.

Nilwarp

Novice
SoupNazi said:
Why would anyone want to recommend DA:O I will never understand however
Same here.
That game is full of stupid black and white alternatives - or if we wan't to fool the audience like Bioware likes to do, dark and light grey alternatives.
My best (and basically only) memory from that game is two voice actor's performances: "Your desire" from the woman and "Enchantment? Enchantment!" from the boy.

By the way, I have not tried NV yet, as I have been told it is based on the FO3 shit, with stupid VATS and completely fucked SPECIAL system.
Are the new faction-oriented quests really worth a try? Does it help forget the console FPS feeling of the FO3 crap?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mask of the Betrayer (NWN 2 expansion, PST-like)
Mysteries of Westgate (NWN 2 expansion, a little bit less PST-like)
The Witcher
Risen
Fallout New Vegas (Fallout-like)
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, older but if you ahven't played it it's a MUST-DO

Play these games before listening to fail recommendations like DAO, Divinity, Dark Messiah etc.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
sser said:
There are also a lot of games on the horizon, too. Diablo 3, Deus Ex:HR, Skyrim, and I believe Dark Souls is coming to the PC.

Too bad there's no cRPGs on the horizon, except Twitcher 2.

And who the fuck is such a miserable and retarded person to play Skyrim after what has been done to the Oblivion? The same people are making SKyrim, who is such a dumbfuck to decide to play Skyrim?

empi

Augur
Risen
Fallout New Vegas
Mask of the betrayer
The Witcher
Divinity 2 DKS, definately.

flushfire

Augur
SoupNazi said:
Yeah, I forgot Risen. Why would anyone want to recommend DA:O I will never understand however
Nilwarp said:
Same here.
That game is full of stupid black and white alternatives - or if we wan't to fool the audience like Bioware likes to do, dark and light grey alternatives.
My best (and basically only) memory from that game is two voice actor's performances: "Your desire" from the woman and "Enchantment? Enchantment!" from the boy.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=195
Nilwarp said:
By the way, I have not tried NV yet, as I have been told it is based on the FO3 shit, with stupid VATS and completely fucked SPECIAL system.
Are the new faction-oriented quests really worth a try? Does it help forget the console FPS feeling of the FO3 crap?
1. Yes 2. No.

1eyedking

Erudite
Wait for The Witcher 2, I guess.

Other than that, you've got The Witcher, Risen & Gothic 3 (in that order of preference). Skip F3:NV and DA:O unless it's for purely informational purposes (don't expect a good game out of those titles).

Eyeball

Arcane
Disagree with 1ek. Witcher bored me, New Vegas was good, especially the DLC, and Divinity 2 was also most enjoyable.

DAO and the Mass Effect games look nice but have pretty weak writing and MMO-style combat in the case of DA and utter shit cover based combat in the case of ME. If that's your thing, go for it, but I'd avoid it if I were you. Still, they DO look nice, so piracy is recommended.

sgc_meltdown said:

I find that NWN2 is incapable of ever running smoothly. I still remember when I last got a new machine. Crysis runs at maxed settings at 30 FPS, but NWN2, that piece of shit cracks and pops like an asshole and to my recollection runs worse than on my older machine. And now? With fresh installs, it's entirely unplayable, there's this thing where the characters run in place and then teleport or sort of glide somewhere, every menu comes out slow and nothing works in a remotely acceptable fashion. Sounds fucked up too, I suppose X-FI is too low tech to handle the awesome sound effects.

So fuck NWN2, and fuck every other unoptimized piece of shit game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom