Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TWitcher 2, the general Codex rating

Hit or shit?

• 5 - Deserves to be an extension to the Holy RPG Trinity. :potatopower:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - Awesome game, one of the best in the genre.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 2 - Banalshitboring mediocrity, CoD with swords. :skyway:

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 1 - Worse than Arcania.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't play. Won't play. :kingcomrade:

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Phelot

Arcane
I gave it a three. I'm almost done with chapter 1 and it's been a lot better than the prologue. I'll likely play through it, but I don't know about going through to try out other story paths.

commie said:
:lol: You forgot to add Fallout.

I didn't forget it. I understand how Fallout combat can be seen as shit, but I find it highly enjoyable myself, therefore I did not list it. Although your point is probably valid.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Multidirectional said:
commie said:
:lol: You forgot to add Fallout.

I didn't forget it. I understand how Fallout combat can be seen as shit, but I find it highly enjoyable myself, therefore I did not list it. Although your point is probably valid.

Fallout's combat is awesome, but just at the baginning, before you get 95% chances of shooting in the eye.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seems that most games have shit, exploitable combat. The few that are regarded as doing combat well; such as TOEE and KoTC for example, conversely have pretty shitty, soulless worlds that make combat dry and pointless at any level beyond combat for combat's sake. Which is better and why?

phelot said:
I gave it a three. I'm almost done with chapter 1 and it's been a lot better than the prologue. I'll likely play through it, but I don't know about going through to try out other story paths.

Well if you pirated it that's understandable. I've noticed that people who actually spend real money on games tend to (unless the game is truly horrific) play to the end and not deny themselves half the content. Which are you?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And that's why you should stop playing shitty games and start playing the good ones like Betrayal at Krondor, Wizardry 8 and Gothic 2, that do all aspects well :smug:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
And that's why you should stop playing shitty games and start playing the good ones like Betrayal at Krondor, Wizardry 8 and Gothic 2, that do all aspects well :smug:

You're having a laugh with Gothic 2. It's as exploitable as TW2. The only advantage it has is the fact that 95% of shit in the world will rape you in a few hits(at most) for a long time until you get ahead of the curve. Then it's one key spam time. If TW2 had the same enemies 10-15 levels higher than you and you had to run from most encounters, picking off stragglers and the occasional rat, then TW2's combat would appear just as 'hardcore'. Story good? 4 elemental dragons? WTF? Wiz8 just has too much fightan and grindan. No story there either. No problem with BaK though, great pacing, story, encounters that make sense and are memorable. This is a game that should be a part of the Codex top 5, not half fucking remembered!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Darth Roxor said:

WIZARDRY 8 DOES WORLD AND STORY WELL?!? :shock:

Maybe if you're a fourteen-year-old on crack who thinks robots are really cool.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
commie said:
Wiz8 just has too much fightan and grindan. No story there either.

Fucking this,...

No problem with BaK though, great pacing, story, encounters that make sense and are memorable. This is a game that should be a part of the Codex top 5, not half fucking remembered!

and this.

Phelot

Arcane
commie said:
phelot said:

Well if you pirated it that's understandable. I've noticed that people who actually spend real money on games tend to (unless the game is truly horrific) play to the end and not deny themselves half the content. Which are you?

Relax, I supported your country. Do you need to see my receipt?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
phelot said:
commie said:
phelot said:

Hey, I know you're legit along with a bunch of others that invariably buy. I just find it strange that people would buy a game then not go through it unless it's total shite, but then in this day and age, you're pretty much warned as to what is shit or not in the first place. I suppose I'm just jealous as buying a game for me, while not impossible, is a major undertaking that needs to pass the censor and beancounter(wife), and she looks unfavourably on 'childish' pastimes...GRRRR!

While I'd prefer you to enjoy your purchase, at least the funds will likely add to the coffers and allow for a better TW3. For the moment, CDPR is still in the incline phase, something that Bio/Beth have long passed, so there's still hope for bigger and better things.

Phelot

Arcane
commie said:
phelot said:
commie said:
phelot said:

Hey, I know you're legit along with a bunch of others that invariably buy. I just find it strange that people would buy a game then not go through it unless it's total shite, but then in this day and age, you're pretty much warned as to what is shit or not in the first place. I suppose I'm just jealous as buying a game for me, while not impossible, is a major undertaking that needs to pass the censor and beancounter(wife), and she looks unfavourably on 'childish' pastimes...GRRRR!

TBH if there was a demo I would have downloaded that first and if that demo had consisted only of the prologue then I doubt I would have bought the game... so kudos to them for that I guess :lol:

And I wasn't in the mood for downloading another pirated game and fucking with setting it up and cracking and blah blah yeah I'm that lazy.

But I'm having fun with the game. Like I said, I don't see myself playing through it all again, but who knows. I just wish I had more time to play it. So far the longest I've ever been able to go at it is about 2 hours.

It's good your wife keeps you in check, see everyone needs a conservative from time to time!

While I'd prefer you to enjoy your purchase, at least the funds will likely add to the coffers and allow for a better TW3. For the moment, CDPR is still in the incline phase, something that Bio/Beth have long passed, so there's still hope for bigger and better things.

They seem to be a decent company and I was genuinely surprised with the increase in maturity in TW2 compared with the 1st. Not as much preachy "UR JUST RACIST N A HYPOCRITE!" stuff this time around as far as I can see. I've also noticed that all of the supporting NPCs have awesome voice actors while the main cast kind of suck. The dwarves and the low class English thugs sound wonderful.

EDIT: Though I still prefer a nice dialogue box with a character portrait and descriptive narrative.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
phelot said:
It's good your wife keeps you in check, see everyone needs a conservative from time to time!

It is, it is. Forced me to grow up.

They seem to be a decent company and I was genuinely surprised with the increase in maturity in TW2 compared with the 1st. Not as much preachy "UR JUST RACIST N A HYPOCRITE!" stuff this time around as far as I can see. I've also noticed that all of the supporting NPCs have awesome voice actors while the main cast kind of suck. The dwarves and the low class English thugs sound wonderful.

Yeah, Geralt is fine, I've always liked that dead pan delivery, but then again I didn't have a problem with Mark Meer once I got rid of the unsuitable default Shepherd for a face that fitted the voice better(more weenier), but Triss sucks arse compared to the one in the first game. Maybe the actor is the same, I don't know, but she sounds so much more American and 'soft'. Dandelion sounds like a real faggot too. The supporting cast are great though; Foltest, Loredo, Iorveth and later ones....The English/Scottish Dwarves and soldiers/thugs are very good too.

EDIT: Though I still prefer a nice dialogue box with a character portrait and descriptive narrative.

Depends on the type of game. Certainly in a isometric, open world or party RPG with more deliberate pacing and TB combat, the traditional descriptive and dialogue method works more effectively, but in dynamic, semi-linear ARPG's where there is less room for doing things explicitly in your own way or ignoring them altogether the full cinematic experience provides better 'immershun'.

Phelot

Arcane
commie said:
Depends on the type of game. Certainly in a isometric, open world or party RPG with more deliberate pacing and TB combat, the traditional descriptive and dialogue method works more effectively, but in dynamic, semi-linear ARPG's where there is less room for doing things explicitly in your own way or ignoring them altogether the full cinematic experience provides better 'immershun'.

I must disagree. I think a dialogue box works in any genre and to great effect. Like in the Pathologic thread, I was talking about how cool I thought the portrait and dialogue is. I also much prefer the characters body language being described rather than shown.

And before anyone says "THEN READ A BOOK LOL!" I would like to say that if you want to see awesome acting and facial expressions then watch a movie.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
phelot said:
commie said:

I must disagree. I think a dialogue box works in any genre and to great effect. Like in the Pathologic thread, I was talking about how cool I thought the portrait and dialogue is. I also much prefer the characters body language being described rather than shown.

And before anyone says "THEN READ A BOOK LOL!" I would like to say that if you want to see awesome acting and facial expressions then watch a movie.

Read a fucking book...:P An ARPG is already an 'interactive movie' of sorts, so awesome acting and facial expressions are a logical step. Switching from fluid 3D to static 2D portraits and text is jarring and actually quite pointless as few games have done descriptors as well as Betrayal at Krondor for example which would fill the screen with awesome text, describing how your party would knock on doors in a village or the feelings among your characters about looting the dead or describing how a sword feels in the hand. Such depth would still have a place in a game like AoD, by it's nature a throwback to the games of old, but there's no fucking way developers will take this kind of route for the modern ARPG even if they wanted to as pure cold calculation will make them realise that most people will skip the text anyway, far more than would voiced dialogue, and so better to focus their energies on something else.

Phelot

Arcane
commie said:
Read a fucking book...:P An ARPG is already an 'interactive movie' of sorts, so awesome acting and facial expressions are a logical step.

Well, I suppose that every video game is an "interactive movie" of sorts, then.

Switching from fluid 3D to static 2D portraits and text is jarring and actually quite pointless as few games have done descriptors as well as Betrayal at Krondor for example which would fill the screen with awesome text, describing how your party would knock on doors in a village or the feelings among your characters about looting the dead or describing how a sword feels in the hand. Such depth would still have a place in a game like AoD, by it's nature a throwback to the games of old, but there's no fucking way developers will take this kind of route for the modern ARPG even if they wanted to as pure cold calculation will make them realise that most people will skip the text anyway, far more than would voiced dialogue, and so better to focus their energies on something else.

TBH, I find myself skipping over most spoken dialogue. I admit, if it is written out, I might skip over it as well if it's not very good, but at least then I can skim over it. Not so when I'm forced to hear dramatic voice overs.

Actually I don't mind some voice overs if it's quick and concise. It's when an entire book is being read to me or a conversation is dragging on that it gets boring. I mean, I can handle it in a movie or TV show, but I ain't playing a TV show, I'm not really looking for that, or it might be I haven't found a game that did long winded conversation via voice overs, well.

Could simply be a matter of preference.

commie said:
I suppose I'm just jealous as buying a game for me, while not impossible, is a major undertaking that needs to pass the censor and beancounter(wife), and she looks unfavourably on 'childish' pastimes...GRRRR!

pussy-whipped-dude.gif

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Put 4 out of 5 potatoes. I am in the middle of Act 1. Good so far. Except they killed the fucking SPOILER!!!!! in the prologue!!!! :x Why the fuck they would do that?!!! It is not like they have more memorable characters up their sleeves? No fucking way!!!! I want my SPOILER!!!!!! back you cocksuckers!!!!
I hate the map, inventory etc. so far in comparison to the first one. Usually I don't care about these small shitty issues, but this stands out as somewhat retarded. Hope I will get used to that. Other than that: Good stuff so far :thumbsup:

EDIT::::

Oh, and I am playing on the old C2D 1.9GHz, with 8600M GT laptop and it works well (all on the lowest and 1280 x 720, still looks decent!!). And much more smoother than e.g. Arcania on the lowest.

I find Witcher 2 just boring and banal, really. For once, I'm thinking like Skyway in the Witcher thread. I wish I could be as enthusiastic as you all but for me it remains a fucking action game with tits and inventory and I don't give a shit about that. That said, I'm still in chapter 1 so it could be major incline after that but I doubt it.
I just don't understand how you can compare it to Bloodlines which is a masterpiece. Sorry but for me Witcher 2 is completely moronic. The PC is a joke.

Voted 2 by the way. God knows I realy really loved FNV so I'm not pulling a Skyway on you but damn, for once I was totally OK with the old moron's opinion in the Codex Official Witcher 2 Thread: "it's nice graphics popamole action shit, how can you talk about it like it's a RPG, it's God of War with potato!"

Suchy

Arcane
Beautiful Clown Painting said:
I find Witcher 2 just boring and banal, really. For once, I'm thinking like Skyway in the Witcher thread. I wish I could be as enthusiastic as you all but for me it remains a fucking action game with tits and inventory and I don't give a shit about that. That said, I'm still in chapter 1 so it could be major incline after that but I doubt it.
I just don't understand how you can compare it to Bloodlines which is a masterpiece. Sorry but for me Witcher 2 is completely moronic. The PC is a joke.
Both games have great visual design, feature good writing and dialogues, good story and memorable characters. Both have realtime, twitchy combat (which btw is way crappier in Bloodlines, H2H is atrocious), both focus on C&C (though it's more fleshed out in TW2). Same shelf for me.

Bloodlines has a way better character system, dialogue and atmosphere for me. And dialogue system where I know EXACTLY what I'm gonna say before choosing it will always be infinitely superior to me. I hate that TW2 went the derpier route on this.

Risine

Liturgist
W2 is a great game, especially the atmosphere of the game. And there is a real artistic direction behind, technical aspects are not just here for marketing stuff like some other games, but to support the artists vision.
It's probably not exactly the game I would have liked it to be, and it has some flaws, mainly consolized inventory ( hope they'll change that in the Enhanced Edition ) , but all in all it's the best RPG thing I have played since PST.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I play it in Polish so I can't compare the voices, but art direction changed from XIII century into XV in six months, which is closer to books, I don't know why can't they implement dialogue box ala Fallout with 3D portraits and optional TB combat, but I liked VtB, AP and FNV so I can't bitch about W2 being New Shit when last traditional RPG game with turns like RoT sold badly. W2 is new shit but the good shit nethertheless. :smug:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Gave it a 3, tending to a 2. I haven't finished it yet, so maybe it gets better at some point. Don't quite understand the fuzz about it to be honest. It feels like some Assassins Creed Game with more C&C. RPG aspects are very light, the combat is horrible and arcade-y.. I like the Art Direction and the amount of afford put into the small details though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom