Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hitman: Absolution Teaser Trailer

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
banal shit boring gambling

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Antediluvian said:
YA VE YA VE FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING NINJA IM IN DISGUISE YOU CANT SEE THROUGH IT FUCK OFF WHY ARE YOU SHOOTING DIE OH IM DEAD I HATE THIS GAME RAGEQUIT
:lol: God, i hated that part. What's the purpose of using enemy uniform and a completely non revealing at that if they recognize you as infiltrator even in dark tunnels from 300 meters away? :/
Then there's those ridiculous sniper towers in the snow. How do you even get SA there? They spot you everywhere and there's no way to snipe these fuckers.
And what is it exactly about YAHWEH they yell all the time? Fucking jap jews! :godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:

FaChoi

Educated
The new Glacier 2 game engine allows IO Interactive to introduce Hitman Absolution to a broader audience.

The first four Hitman games from IO Interactive have sold approximately 10 million copies worldwide. But the Copenhagen-based game developer is targeting an even broader audience with its 2012 release, Hitman: Absolution.

“The Hitman games of past have been very hardcore,” said Tore Blystad, game director at IO Interactive. “Even though the fantasy of the Hitman universe has a very universal appeal, the games have been so difficult to play, that it’s been more of an acquired taste. The biggest challenge that we had with this game was to make it much broader in every sense, so that it was easier to play and more accessible, but still retain a very strong, hardcore side as well. We don’t want to alienate any of our fans who have been extremely loyal for so many years.”

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/new ... he-masses/

Ludo

Educated
I don't make mistakes.
young_stalin.jpg

Ludo

Educated
FaChoi said:

Blood money (if memory serves) was easy, on the easier difficulties at least.
This sounds dangerously like serious dumbing down talk to me, which is sad, because I did like the hitman games.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Fuck off with this bullshit goddammit fuck what the fuck aaagh

Cassidy

Arcane
After Thi4f, now yet another good series going down the shitter. Oh well, I'll have to stick to grand strategy as the last genre I'd bother buying games from forever.

As for the infamous jungle missions in the first game: there is a way to get a disguise by killing two isolated patrols, right in the first mission, and from there, totally avoid combat in missions 1 and 2.

In the last, most combat-loaded mission, using the disguise and a knife, by cleaning several key watch towers and also the guards inside the house(with only one case where you'll have to use the silenced pistol), you'll be able to reduce the gross of combat to only the "say hello to my little friend," and the lab, where use of silenced pistol works wonders to allow you to get out of it while the rest of the base is totally oblivious to what you just did.

Then you can just hide somewhere, trigger it and they'll still not suspect of you, and finally, head for the hangar, kill the three guards on your way and none else, and get out. Mission accomplished.

That is how I've done it.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Turisas said:
Actually, it is. Oblivion has absolutely no redeeming qualities straight out of the box (even as a hiking simulator it is boring thanks to the cut & paste scenery), whereas NV is perfectly playable without mods.

Bullshit. It's one of the blandest RPGs in recent years. The combat, level design, story, setting, characters, etc... NV has just as much 'cut & paste scenery' as any of Beth's games. There's hardly ever a single interesting moment. You're just going through the motions the entire way through.

At least Beth's games have some lulz. NV might not be shit, but it most certainly is banal and boring...

Dark Matter

Prophet
DriacKin said:
Turisas said:
Actually, it is. Oblivion has absolutely no redeeming qualities straight out of the box (even as a hiking simulator it is boring thanks to the cut & paste scenery), whereas NV is perfectly playable without mods.

Bullshit. It's one of the blandest RPGs in recent years. The combat, level design, story, setting, characters, etc... NV has just as much 'cut & paste scenery' as any of Beth's games. There's hardly ever a single interesting moment. You're just going through the motions the entire way through.

At least Beth's games have some lulz. NV might not be shit, but it most certainly is banal and boring...
New Vegas is one of the few RPGs that provides a great sense of exploration, and is a far superior game compared to Fallout 1. There is an amazing attention to detail in NV and almost every single area in the game has some kind of story to tell, whether it's in a more overt fashion with characters/terminals or in a more subtle way relying on visual cues and maybe a few scattered journal pages.

How is the setting boring? Not only does the game provide a ton of varied, interesting, and believable factions, but the game lets you actively participate in the conflicts between these factions in whichever way you like. How the fuck is that even remotely comparable to Oblivion's "go to dungeon X and kill all trolls/necromancers in it" quests?

The hate that New Vegas gets absolutely confirms that Codex is mostly filled with a bunch of retarded scene kids who try too hard. The game is better than the original Fallout in just about every single way and is the closest thing to a perfect RPG, having many of the best aspects of sandbox RPGs (exploration, lots of stuff to do) while still containing plenty of C&C, skill checks with well-written dialog and characters.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Dark Matter said:
The game is better than the original Fallout in just about every single way and is the closest thing to a perfect RPG
No.

F:NV is a damn fine game and better than most RPGs we had this decade in many aspects, but don't exaggerate.

Twinkle

Liturgist
provides a great sense of exploration

Do I want to follow GPS marker 1 or GPS marker 2? Do I want move through a copy-pasted grey-brown texture from south to north or from west to east? Do I want to explore mountains and hit an invisible wall after a few steps? A tyranny of choice.

There is an amazing attention to detail in NV and almost every single area in the game has some kind of story to tell, whether it's in a more overt fashion with characters/terminals or in a more subtle way relying on visual cues and maybe a few scattered journal pages.

So it's the same as Fallout 3, right?

How the fuck is that even remotely comparable to Oblivion's "go to dungeon X and kill all trolls/necromancers in it" quests?

Except that most NV's quests are about of the same level of complexity.

Not only does the game provide a ton of varied, interesting, and believable factions, but the game lets you actively participate in the conflicts between these factions in whichever way you like.

Believable? For fuck's sake, wannabe spacefarer ghouls, bandits larping Romans, Elvis impersonators, Boomers, tribals turned mafia and an army of robots led by a mummy overlord. And you guys bitch about FO2 being inconsistent :lol:

plenty of C&C, skill checks with well-written dialog and characters.

Never cared much about C&C but well-written dialog and characters? Excuse me.

And the most skill checks work as a legitimate form of content skipping just like in FO3. Case in point: repair the robot that can become a sheriff (yeah, the writing is amazing). You either click on [Repair] line and let something awesome happen if your skill is high enough or gather all the required junk and repair him without applying any skill.

Antediluvian

Educated
Gnidrologist said:
They spot you everywhere and there's no way to snipe these fuckers
Use the x-bow
Gnidrologist said:
How do you even get SA there?
Get an outdoors disguise from a guy behind the underground tunnel entrance - run further evading patrols and snipers - you'll find a ladder that leads into the tunnel, go down - get into one of the trucks - sit tight - get out when you're on the surface again - SA. Still a stupid mission though, 47 is supposed to be "hiding" in plain sight, not lurking behind trees and snowdrifts and stowing away on trucks like Garrett/Sam Fisher FFS
Cassidy said:
As for the infamous jungle missions in the first game: there is a way to get a disguise by killing two isolated patrols, right in the first mission, and from there, totally avoid combat in missions 1 and 2
Well, you only need to take out a boar in mission 2 (Jungle God or whatever the fuck it's called) and then let a jaguar chow down on him but how can you help the tribesman escape without killing those 6 guys on the bridge in the first one?

Cassidy said:
In the last, most combat-loaded mission, using the disguise and a knife, by cleaning several key watch towers and also the guards inside the house(with only one case where you'll have to use the silenced pistol), you'll be able to reduce the gross of combat to only the "say hello to my little friend," and the lab, where use of silenced pistol works wonders to allow you to get out of it while the rest of the base is totally oblivious to what you just did.

Then you can just hide somewhere, trigger it and they'll still not suspect of you, and finally, head for the hangar, kill the three guards on your way and none else, and get out. Mission accomplished.

That is how I've done it.
Just snipe Pablo and you'll only have to kill one guy on the first floor of his house so that the guard upstairs gets distracted, then get the bomb. No need to kill anyone in the drug lab or near the hangar. Also, if you insist on triggering the duel scene instead of sniping - don't bother with guards on watchtowers

Dark Matter

Prophet
Twinkle said:
Do I want to follow GPS marker 1 or GPS marker 2? Do I want move through a copy-pasted grey-brown texture from south to north or from west to east? Do I want to explore mountains and hit an invisible wall after a few steps? A tyranny of choice.
I don't get what you're trying to say. Yes, it has copy pasted textures. How many RPGs don't reuse textures or other assets? What kind of dumbass criticism is that anyway? You should be worrying about whether or not the game has a lack of interesting locations to discover and explore, not whether or not they fucking reused a texture. And FO:NV has an abundance of awesome locations to discover. Whereas FO1 had precisely one good dungeon, NV has maybe a dozen. Just compare any of the numerous vaults from NV with Vault 15 from FO1. The vaults in NV all have interesting back stories, great level design, and show tremendous attention to detail. Vault 15 in FO1 consists of a rat cave, a few dark corridors with pretty much no interactive elements apart some lockers with loot, and a whole lot of moles to pop. And the sad part is that Vault 15 is actually a part of the main quest, whereas even some of the best areas in NV are entirely optional and separate from the main quest.

And yes, there is a lot of grey-brown. It's a post-apocalyptic game. The Mojave Wasteland has a lot of grey-brown while the Strip is more flashy and colourful. How the fuck else is it supposed to look like?

So it's the same as Fallout 3, right?
I haven't played FO3 so I wouldn't know.

Except that most NV's quests are about of the same level of complexity.
Stop the bullshit. I can think of one quest in NV that's like that (the one where you're asked to kill some worker ants on some road leading to the Mojave Outpost). Almost every other quest is a lot more interesting and involving and always provides you with multiple ways of finishing them.

Believable? For fuck's sake, wannabe spacefarer ghouls, bandits larping Romans, Elvis impersonators, Boomers, tribals turned mafia and an army of robots led by a mummy overlord. And you guys bitch about FO2 being inconsistent :lol:
You can make anything sound stupid by oversimplying it (the primary antagonist in fo1 is mutant hitler hurr hurr). The writing and the details are what decide whether a faction is interesting and believable, not a 2-3 word description. And for the most part, NV does a fantastic job at making the dozens of factions interesting. Even the factions that were borrowed from the original FO are more fleshed out and multi-dimensional in NV by giving you different viewpoints on the different factions from various people and showing you both the positive and negative sides of most of the factions.

Never cared much about C&C but well-written dialog and characters? Excuse me.
Yeah, the dialog and characters are well-written. The characters for the most part aren't terribly memorable though, but then again, it's not really a character-driven game in the same way as Torment or MOTB. The characters do their job and have just enough personality in them to make them believable and not just quest-dispensers. The best examples of the excellent dialog is the PC's dialog options for a failed skill check compared with a successful skill check. I remember VD criticizing FO3 for its dumb skill checks and how the devs seemed to have no idea how to make an appropriately suave or intelligent dialog option for a response that uses a skill check. Well, FO:NV certainly does a fantastic job in this regard.

And the most skill checks work as a legitimate form of content skipping just like in FO3. Case in point: repair the robot that can become a sheriff (yeah, the writing is amazing). You either click on [Repair] line and let something awesome happen if your skill is high enough or gather all the required junk and repair him without applying any skill.
That's how skill checks work? Raising certain skills let you find a more efficient way of completing certain tasks. And if you don't meet that skill requirement, you can go through the trouble of scavenging some parts or travel to the Mojave Outpost and pass a barter skill check to convince the NCR to help (which has its own set of consequences) or go the NCR correctional facility and free Meyers (which itself can be done in a variety of ways, i.e. having a good reputation with the powder gangers, using disguise, using sneak/stealth, using combat). I fail to see how any of this is a bad thing.

it's bland

yeah it is very boring

nu uh, it's exciting

bullshit, have example X

stop the lies, have example Y

It cracks me up that Codexers consider themselves smarter than the likes of kotaku when most game discussions here can be summed up this way

No one cares about "banal" or "interesting" you faggots, stop using such vague expressions to describe shit.

Twinkle

Liturgist
The vaults in NV all have interesting back stories, great level design, and show tremendous attention to detail.

I'm not so sure. I liked the backstory written for Vault 11, but other than that: a vault full of aggressive plants (R00fles!!!), a vault full of irradiated zombies, a vault full of crazy drug addicts, an empty vault under New Vegas turned into a resort and red versus blue vault (it was good as well).

I'm also not getting your praise of the level design. Rather typical and linear decorations for corridor shootouts I've seen million times in other games.

And I'd rather take Glow over Vault 34, thankyouverymuch.

How the fuck else is it supposed to look like?

Not like a bland creation of a random tileset generator? Pardon, shit.

I can think of one quest in NV that's like that (the one where you're asked to kill some worker ants on some road leading to the Mojave Outpost).

And I can think of more. The Thorn questline is the biggest offender. Bounty for raiders' heads offered at McCarran. Some of Boomers' sidequests. Boone's personal quest. The Legion dude in Nelson asking to terminate all NCR officers in the camp nearby. Several fetch quests from BOS etc.

Even the factions that were borrowed from the original FO are more fleshed out and multi-dimensional in NV

I can only agree on BoS. They've toned down the whole medieval monks thing and showed a dying faction on a brink of collapse. That's a definite plus. Others were forgettable.

about writing

5xBXb.jpg

Most NPCs in the game have about the same level of depth.

Raising certain skills let you find a more efficient way of completing certain tasks

Regarding repair? Well how about *requiring* some skill to make the damned thing work at all? It's reasonable to expect that having necessary components lowers the challenge rating, but it's simply stupid to have them do all the work for you somehow. Lockpicking - same shitty minigame regardless of your skill level. The alternative is force lock plus heavy savescumming. Hacking - the other stupid minigame regardless of your skill level. Checks during dialog: ffs, nothing kills immersion as quickly as "you must have skill X at Y points to unlock this line."

Moderator: Stay on topic, this is your last warning. Open a Fallout 3:NV thread if you want to debate FO:NV.

Let's see how it turns out. :smug:

Well, on topic: after this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-27-hitman-absolution-to-be-more-accessible I have no faith in the game. :decline:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Dark Matter said:
New Vegas is one of the few RPGs that provides a great sense of exploration, and is a far superior game compared to Fallout 1.
Let's see...

Fallout 1 - no quest compasses, no enemy radars, ability to complete the game without kills among other ways to complete, a lot of stats that work and provide different character builds, a lot of skills with a lot of applications for them, OK'ish TB combat, well designed world, finally a good writing = you play an outstanding game.

Fallout 3 New Vegas - quest compass ruining every single quest and exploration, enemy radar, stats don't work - whatever you chose you still play FPS, no skills - childish minigames instead, piss-easy difficulty, retarded VATS, the game world is bland and filled with areas that don't make any sense, writing is done by a 15 years old with retarded shit about tribals and ancient roman warriors that doesn't make any sense = you don't play a game, you just sit on your sofa with a gamepad while game handholds you through its theme-park world.

Yeah I can definitely see the appeal to the next-gen Codex

OMG Bethesduh raep'd Fallout RAEP RAEP - "I'm looking for my father, he's middle aged guy" RAEP RAEP
Not like Obsidian which treats Fallout so much better than even Troika! NV is the exact opposite of FO3 - I wanna suck Faergus cock now! OMG OMG

I really wonder if retards defending NV while shitting on Beth are trying to get KKKs or are they really that delusional?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom