Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian: We would make Alpha Protocol 2

Suchy

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
People who hate AP with a passion but fap to Twitcher 2 24/7 are a bunch of fucking hypocrites.
I really WANTED to like AP, I'm a story fag and I tend to overlook flawed mechanics and some bad gameplay elements, if the story is engaging with well written dialogues and interesting quests. That's why I consider F:NV, TW1 and TW2 good games.
But in this case I just fucking couldn't get past the gameplay. Tiny levels with generic corridor popamole, bad AI, a shitload of terrible minigames stuffed in your face every 20 seconds, sneaking that makes you literally invisible... Uninstalled around the 3rd mission.
Sorry bro, no potato.

MCA
And the story isn't even good by any length. It's typical Hollywood bullshit you could expect to see any time you turn on the telewitz. Entire game hinges on a few well done characters but even they are not all that memorable compared to the ones found in Codex favourites.

And any game that gives you timed dialogue choices deserves to be forgotten.

Anyway, I call it divine justice for scrapping Mitsodas' work for.

Angthoron

Arcane
Suchy said:
Darth Roxor said:
People who hate AP with a passion but fap to Twitcher 2 24/7 are a bunch of fucking hypocrites.
I really WANTED to like AP, I'm a story fag and I tend to overlook flawed mechanics and some bad gameplay elements, if the story is engaging with well written dialogues and interesting quests. That's why I consider F:NV, TW1 and TW2 good games.
But in this case I just fucking couldn't get past the gameplay. Tiny levels with generic corridor popamole, bad AI, a shitload of terrible minigames stuffed in your face every 20 seconds, sneaking that makes you literally invisible... Uninstalled around the 3rd mission.
Sorry bro, no potato.

Yeah, pretty much this is my experience as well. I uninstalled it after completing three hubs, with just one hub and endgame left. The gameplay, and the near complete lack of exploration (still better than Mass Effect but like that's saying anything) really pissed me off.

I would be fine with a sequel though, but only as long as they would actually use all the lessons learned to make it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Suchy said:
Darth Roxor said:
Sorry bro, no potato.

*In tears*

I still want a sequel. I like Mike.

Suchy

Arcane
I'd gladly play a sequel or a spinoff, but the gameplay needs to be completely redesigned. Seriously, I was waiting for AP, expecting it to be something along modern times Deus Ex... Damn, the disappointment it was, took barely 2 hours of playtime, until I uninstalled.

Radisshu

Prophet
They should take more cues from Deus Ex. They obviously looked at DX somewhat when they made the first game, with enemies acting similarily, together with alarms and such. The level design is the problem, though.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Interview with Avellone:

http://www.nuevebits.com/?p=1768

Agonz: It’s a fact that the reviews about Alpha Protocol were quite hard, to say the least. How much of it do you think it was due to the fact that even though AP looks like a shooter, it is an action RPG?

CFA: You’ve summed it up in the last question, all that’s only a part of it. AP represents a disconnect between what it looks like on screen vs. how it plays out – as an example, one of our design mandates from SEGA was that your gun skill effects your targeting and spread, which is something our studio is very much against, and you can see the consequences of that discrepancy in a number of mandated system mechanics in the game. Players don’t want invisible numbers in the background modifying what they’re physically doing on screen – if you have your cursor lined up, you should shoot where the cursor is pointing. Design decisions like that add up.

Alpha Protocol had its challenges on our side as well. I feel as much as it’s perceived as solely a shooter, shooter judgments carry over into the look and feel of the gameplay, and those certainly aren’t comparable to other shooters in the market – it’s not what our studio specializes in, and as such, AP was a new endeavor for us – to try and beat other mainstream shooters on the market with the first foray was a slim chance at best. We also suffered issues with AI, stealth integration with levels, and more. On the plus side, however, I feel our minigames were good, I feel the reactivity and the consequences were good, and as odd as it sounds, I liked the fact that I would hesitate when equipping my weapons, as I was trying to decide which weapons best suited my character build and accept the drawbacks and advantages of those weapons accordingly.

I wonder why SEGA did that? Because Deus Ex did it? Because Mass Effect 1 did it?

I would buy it, but like I said earlier, probably best of doing a spiritual successor, might sell better.

I never had any problems with level design or the minigames, in terms of choice and consequence, I haven't played a game that took so many of your actions into account like Alpha Protocol did

Seolas

Liturgist
AP was pretty great, yes. The stealth mission in that little house was awesomeness.

curry

Arcane
IronicNeurotic said:
I wonder why SEGA did that? Because Deus Ex did it? Because Mass Effect 1 did it?

No, they did it because publishers have a tendency to ruin games by getting involved when they shouldn't.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
anus_pounder said:
I've a question, what happens if you're disliked/hate by pretty much everyone end-game? Who helps you break out?
Heck will always be there for you. I once recieved a dialogue where I was able to convince Albatross to help me out so he could kill me but his option was still grayed out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom