Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Axes were sooo fucking underpowered in this game. The only thing about axes are the ones that do 2x damage to different creature types (plants, beasts, etc).
Also, was that plague axe that ferro sells an off-hand weapon? I can never remember.
One thing I did hate was how huge the goddamn range was for a good axe. I'd bring up the flamestryke website, but it no longer exists (flamestryke herself died of cancer like three years ago).
Also, the only really good axes were two hands anyway, outside the beastslayer and plague axe. So axes were in general a 1-hand and shield or 2-hand weapon type anyway. Fucking hated that. Always wanted a foaming at the mouth lizardman fighter gone berserk wielding an axe in each hand.

DraQ

Arcane
Major_Blackhart said:
Axes were sooo fucking underpowered in this game. The only thing about axes are the ones that do 2x damage to different creature types (plants, beasts, etc).
Well, Woodsman Axe is pretty worthwhile against all the fucking plants. Beastslayer, if you get it early (and you can assemble it before Trynton if you're lucky) is also nice piece of work. But other than that the only powerful axes are far into endgame (maybe minus some from retro dungeons) and they still are of questionable power and utility compared to high end swords, staves, polearms and maces. And don't get me started on shit like Axe of Many Runes - with those kinds of penalties it should be doing around 100 damage to not be considered lolitem.

Also, was that plague axe that ferro sells an off-hand weapon? I can never remember.
I think only bearded axe with its 1-6 (IIRC) damage is offhand-capable.

Also, the only really good axes were two hands anyway, outside the beastslayer and plague axe. So axes were in general a 1-hand and shield or 2-hand weapon type anyway. Fucking hated that. Always wanted a foaming at the mouth lizardman fighter gone berserk wielding an axe in each hand.
Obvious candidate would be beastslayer - you could even assemble multiple copies of it.
:x

Also:
flamestryke
:salute:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Here's a copy of Flamestryke's site if anyone needs it.
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/flamestr ... es_w8.html

As for axes, the best one nominally is The Ripper i guess. It has up to 27 damage and some status effect potential if not mistaking, but it's two handed and not extended so it sucks in comparison with best swords, pole arms, staffs and maces/flails and basically everything. I would rather give someone a wrist rocket and impaling stones instead of an axe.

DraQ

Arcane
Gnidrologist said:
Here's a copy of Flamestryke's site if anyone needs it.
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/flamestr ... es_w8.html

As for axes, the best one nominally is The Ripper i guess. It has up to 27 damage and some status effect potential if not mistaking, but it's two handed and not extended so it sucks in comparison with best swords, pole arms, staffs and maces/flails and basically everything. I would rather give someone a wrist rocket and impaling stones instead of an axe.

Why give someone wrist rocket, if everyone who can use an axe, can also use tripleshot crossbow?
:smug:

Also, extended reach is not as important for frontliners.

But yeah, most high level axes should have their damage doubled - at very least.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Another thing that sucked about axes was that the initiative was so fucking for that weapon. Ok, yeah, a fucking great axe that was absolutely massive, sure, but something that was one handed or two handed that was enchanted by the gods or some such shit (blades of aesir) should swing alot fucking faster than that.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Thief > Fighter, he's level 7 so I want to make him Samurai but I've yet to find any swords he can use. I'm guessing they can only use weeaboo blades?

Valkyrie is ready to change to Lord as soon as she gets another point of Int.

Mage and Priest are both ready to become Psionic/Alchemist respectively, will swap them as soon as they hit level 7.

Yet to decide what to do with the Bard. Do they even get more instruments? The lute's losing its effectiveness, and I'm not sure what to make her next. Maybe a mage for a while. Or another Valkyrie, given how excellent my current one is proving. Or both.

The game molested me enough to start with that I suspected I'd really buggered up my party choice, but they're sailing through quite comfortably now. Just finished off Captain Matey, and off to find... something or other to do with the hook. Surprised at how tactical the game is proving for a blobber, but too early to say if I like it more than World of Xeen or not.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
DraQ said:
Why give someone wrist rocket, if everyone who can use an axe, can also use tripleshot crossbow?
:smug:
Was just random example that shows that basically everything is better than axes. Also, you get triple x-bow only with gadgeteer in party unless you want to waste time dragging Madrass around till his engineering is 70 or what was the requirement. I certainly do not. The second thing about the trippleshot and missile weapons in general is that ammo is too fucking heavy. For a tripple shooter you have to carry around tons of bolts and be permanently in blue.
Also, extended reach is not as important for frontliners.
Not obligatory, but really nice not having to waste a turn by moving two meters closer to the next critter.
Btw, what i always wanted to ask about moving - how does ''run'' differ from ''walk'' in terms of effect? I seem to always use run even covering short distances. Are there any benefits for walking instead?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I think it was that walk used up less stamina and you had a better chance of still being able to attack rather than using you attack to devote to running.

Also, I got used to the extended reach thing being useful only for those on the wing (valks and fighters in polearm but why bother with a fighter).
Unless you had a mook or two as well in your party (good ccombat was rangers, gadgeteers, and psionics, 2 of three that made no use of their awesome strength.)

kmonster

Augur
Admiral jimbob said:
Thief > Fighter, he's level 7 so I want to make him Samurai but I've yet to find any swords he can use.
You must have had very lucky rolls to get all the required stat raises for samurai within 6 level ups. :salute:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Not especially, he's a Felpurr. Felpurr fighter starts with the following stats:

str 12
int 10
pie 7
vit 7
dex 10
spd 12
per 10

Samurai requires:

Str 12
Int 11
Vit 9
Dex 12
Spd 14
Per 8

Only took a few lucky bonuses to vit, dex and speed, never actually had to savescum it at all.
Also, just escaped the castle and reached level 7 with almost everyone. Having realised that my faerie psionic will start with 7 piety and needs 15 for Bishop, I'm starting to question that choice. Hah! Good fun.
Thinking I might turn the bard into a mage for now. Fireball doesn't look like it'll be losing its potency for a while, and given that he already has an array of mage skills/spells...

DraQ

Arcane
Gnidrologist said:
Not obligatory, but really nice not having to waste a turn by moving two meters closer to the next critter.
Btw, what i always wanted to ask about moving - how does ''run'' differ from ''walk'' in terms of effect? I seem to always use run even covering short distances. Are there any benefits for walking instead?
Running uses up a lot of stamina and incurs worse penalties to various stuff. Also, if you move just a meter or two, no one should lose their actions. It's good to have extended weapons on wings (if you use the 'point' slot) or in the middle (otherwise and better option most of the time, since hollow point parties can do more damage in melee), and of course, in whatever happens to be your second line (though they will be whips and staves mostly), but frontliners can do perfectly well without.

DraQ

Arcane
Gnidrologist said:
Ok, thx for tip. I was always using run as i thought you loose your turn anyway. Stupid me.:/
Run is faster, so you lose less of your turn when running the same distance, but you get more severe penalties and you burn stamina. In any case, try spending as little of the movement bar as possible, as it represents the time you have left in given turn - the less you use up, the more will your party will be able to devote to actions. If you just need to get from extended to short, all your characters should have time to act as if you haven't moved at all, except that since they have all waited for initiative till you started moving, they will act in sequence determined by party composition (RGPBOY) rather than stats.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
Admiral jimbob said:
Thief > Fighter, he's level 7 so I want to make him Samurai but I've yet to find any swords he can use. I'm guessing they can only use weeaboo blades?

Pretty much, although IIRC they could also use cutlasses. You should have one from the captain I think. Otherwise, the only common weapons they can use are daggers and some of the blunt polearms (and weeaboo polearms obviously).

kmonster

Augur
Admiral jimbob said:
Also, just escaped the castle and reached level 7 with almost everyone. Having realised that my faerie psionic will start with 7 piety and needs 15 for Bishop, I'm starting to question that choice. Hah! Good fun.
Your fairie will actually fall down to 6 piety and will have to raise it by 9 in order to become a bishop. It was obvious the moment you posted your party. Unlike other forum members, codexians are nice, instead of boasting about their smartness they let you experience this insightful moment for yourself. :love:

There's definitely no need to worry in your situation.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Starting to regret making my Mook a hands/feet focused monk - dealing a lot of attacks per round is good in combination with the instant kill skill, but otherwise, his attacks just don't seem to be stacking up with the samurai. Worth keeping at it or switching him to another weapon style? The poor thing already suffered through using a bow as a ranger.

On a side note, I think if I arrange my attempts at hand-drawn maps of the dwarf mines in the right pattern, I might summon Cthulhu.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I love how even the traditionally useless utility spells come in incredibly handy. I was having a fair bit of trouble with the toll troll, my spells were mostly failiing against him and my melee attackers just couldn't do enough damage to whittle him down before he started killing off my bros... third or fourth attempt, a quick use of blinding flash and irritated skin leaves him stumbling around unable to attack and doing little damage when he does.

Now back to Queerqueeg to pick up that mystery oil that I ignored. God dammit.

EDIT: also, just on the verge of taking a different tack with my monk's weapon skills, he suddenly started doing about 50 damage a round with 4-5 attacks. When he was doing about a third of that one level ago. Okay?

kmonster

Augur
Admiral jimbob said:
EDIT: also, just on the verge of taking a different tack with my monk's weapon skills, he suddenly started doing about 50 damage a round with 4-5 attacks. When he was doing about a third of that one level ago. Okay?
That's possible. As characters improve their damage output improves in a non-linear fashion.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Finished the pyramid, party is definitely coming together. The human mage (former bard) is a definite weak point, though - she just doesn't have the spell points to prove useful in an extended battle, and is easily overshadowed by my two bishops. I know spell points increase with use of the spell school, but Christ, she'll be useless for a while yet. Women. About to turn my monk into a ninja, and I'm wondering, is the part in the class description about "launching a deadly surprise attack" from hiding flavour text or an actual ability?

How far of the game do I have left to go, roughly?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Went with the alchemist up to level 7/8, skipped the psionic. The alchemist-bishop's still catching up on levels, but the boost from the fight in the pyramid crypt and the volcano god thing brought him to about level 6 or so. Completed most of my planned class changes now other than monk->ninja, think I'll stick with them for the forseeable future.

mondblut

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
About to turn my monk into a ninja, and I'm wondering, is the part in the class description about "launching a deadly surprise attack" from hiding flavour text or an actual ability?

Well, ninjas get hide in shadows and critical strike (kirijutsu), so a bit of both.

Then again, everyone is ought to acquire both at one point or another. As you must already know, once you a point of skill in your character sheet, it stays with you always, and you can keep pumping points in there no matter your current class. Not so sure if it develops with use as well, but probably does.

How far of the game do I have left to go, roughly?

About a third to half. The river of the dead is one hell of a huge area.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Now working my way through the optional encounters in the Isle of the Dead. Did the archer one first. It lulled me into a false sense of security :(

EDIT: After whining the entire game about my Valkyrie/Lord's shitty choice of lances, I get a great lance... that's Valkyrie-only. Might cross her back to Valkyrie for going into 7 anyway.

FAKE ADDITIONAL EDIT: mother of god the samurai fight

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom