Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News New Jagged Alliance v1.13 version released

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Jagged Alliance 2; SirTech

<p>After 3 years of silence a new version of the v1.13 mod for <strong>Jagged Alliance 2</strong> <a href="http://ja2v113.pbworks.com/w/page/4218339/FrontPage" target="_blank">has been released</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>We started with the C++ CVS code that DeFrog so wisely ported over to C++.NET. We've located and fixed some bugs in the original and CVS code (as well as our own), and added a host of new features and improvements, as well as externalizing key bits of data to xml.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>1.13 is really more of an upgrade to the base game engine than a total conversion. So while we've added new resolutions, improved AI, weather effects and new items, we have left the original maps and quests intact. 1.13 has been structured in such a way that it can be used as a baseline for creating new mods.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Thanks to Severian Silk.</em></p>

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
JA 2 is reaching that Deus EX status, "Every time you mention it, someone will reinstall it". And this time I even have a new mod version! :D

Does this mean it will actually be semi-stable? Every time I have tried to play recently the crash/hang rate has gone up exponentially as time goes on.

Phelot

Arcane
Lulz. Did it add toilet paper and fanny packs? Seriously, beyond balancing issues, what else can they add? Oh well, I :salute: their efforts and will certainly give it a try.

EDIT: Wait a minute, what exactly is new that was added?

deuxhero

Arcane
Ai, can I haz patch notes. I don't see a quick link for the new builds (instead of 1.13 in general) on the site.

lisac2k

Liturgist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The last (testing) beta I was playing about a month ago had more INI options compared to the one released ~1 year ago. Also, the new traits system was in, which really changed the gameplay in regard to the strategic map. I really wonder if they managed to implement support for big maps, because that was the next big thing (at least for modders) IIRC. Some Russians supposedly did it successfully, but there was a catch holding it off from being implemented in v1.13. Nonetheless, this release is certainly worth at least one playthrough.

1.14, SMP, Stracciatella - all these are projects based on the JA2 source code, having certain goals that are quite different for each one of them. They are more interesting to modders and people interested in experimenting with stuff, rather than players (for which is 1.13 maybe the most lucrative option).

Severian Silk

Mighty Mouse said:
Why don't they call it 1.14? How long has this been around? Anyway will try after a few weeks in case there are any bugs.

I agree they should have continued on past 1.13 using the same versioning system Sir Tech originally used. (Or, just called it JA 2.5 or something.) Now we have to ask, "OK, so does Urban Chaos work with 1.13?" and, "Yeah, but which version?"

That said, I just reinstalled and the game does not seem to be working for me. All I get is a black screen.

:x

MCA
"1.13" is a concept, emphasizing that it's an add-on pack over the last official patch and one that's wholly inclusive of all the best mods out there. Might as well have called it by some name like "Gameplay Enhancements". That's why. If you are confused by version history because of that... lol.

CraigCWB

Educated
Microsoft .NET? Somebody ported perfectly good C++ code to CLR? Why would somebody perpetrate such an abomination?

Severian Silk

Accessibility? Even the free versions are pretty powerful, and the documentation is top-notch. Also, plenty of help can be gotten at MSDN, Stack Exchange, etc. in little time.

Still having the stupid black screen problem. If I let it sit long enough (5-15 mins) eventually the menu pops up. Could that be a driver issue?

CraigCWB

Educated
Severian Silk said:
Accessibility? Even the free versions are pretty powerful, and the documentation is top-notch. Also, plenty of help can be gotten at MSDN, Stack Exchange, etc. in little time.

You talking about CLR? It's a proprietary Microsoft Rapid Application Development tool, primarily intended for IT departments to easily be able to knock out low budget middleware apps. Besides the horrific bad run time performance and the complete reliance on the .NET runtimes to perform all OS calls, coding it is a nightmare. Makes me want to vomit just thinking about somebody using that for game development. At least Java LOOKS like C++, even if it doesn't run anywhere near as well. I seriously have no clue why somebody would convert C++ code to any other language. C++ is what all commercial software is written in. MS .NET itself was written in C++, as was Java. All operating systems are written in C++. The only reason to ever write code in any other language is that C++ is hard. But in this case, the code was already written by other people.

JaySn

Educated
22 July said:
We started with the C++ CVS code that DeFrog so wisely ported over to C++.NET

Such rage is misplaced by 6 years, or there abouts, Craig. Though I'm curious why DeFrog chose .NET, as well; such answers do not seem to be present on a Google search of Bear's Pit and DeFrog's site seems to no longer exist.

Lexx

Cipher
I'd love to know what exactly changed since the last version. I see stuff about traits and such, but that can't be all.

Beside this, 1.13 is super fancy. Just sucks that the game balance is horrible destroyed after you've got yer team some rifles.

zool

Arcane
Lexx said:
I'd love to know what exactly changed since the last version. I see stuff about traits and such, but that can't be all.

Beside this, 1.13 is super fancy. Just sucks that the game balance is horrible destroyed after you've got yer team some rifles.

Indeed. It seems development has been a little more serious recently but for a number of months, there hasn't been any serious upkeeping of the wiki, changelogs, etc.

1.13 is awesome, but you need to take the time to edit the INI properly. You also need to know which result you want to achieve regarding game balance, guns, etc... It's really not friendly to JA2 first-time players. Finally, you need to be willing to accept that it might take a few restarts before you get the correct balance.

CraigCWB

Educated
JaySn said:
Such rage is misplaced by 6 years, or there abouts, Craig.

It's not "rage". I'm just a snob when it comes to programming languages and CLR is a s ghetto as it gets. And the alleged C++ version of CLR is the worst of the bunch because it not only doesn't comply with any known C++ standards, it's not even object oriented. Hell, the syntax isn't even C++. At least Java uses C++ syntax, and if you just look at the source code it LOOKS like it's a C++ program. Not only that, Java is pretty solidly compliant with C++ programming standards as far as program design. Which makes sense because the people who created Java were C++ programmers, and they intended C++ programmers to be the ones knocking out Java applets. If only there were some decent GUI layout tools for Java and if only the runtime performance wasn't so bad, I'd be interested in using it myself for little jobs. But CLR? No way. I would never voluntarily code anything in CLR and I have no idea why anyone else would either, except that they may not know any better.

By the way, I have no idea what you mean by "misplaced by 6 years"... wanna clue me in?

JaySn said:
Though I'm curious why DeFrog chose .NET, as well; such answers do not seem to be present on a Google search of Bear's Pit and DeFrog's site seems to no longer exist.

I'm gonna guess it's because that's what he knows? :)

I'll make a further guess that he just copy pasted the original source code into a CLR shell. That's what C programmers (including me) used to do when porting their programs to Windows and C++ back when Windows took off in the early 1990s. Give it a C++ wrapper and call it C++. Works well enough to get up and running long enough to learn how to do it right. If my guess is correct, the CLR version of JA2 now has all of the problems associated with .NET and none of the advantages, if there are any advantages. Which I doubt very much. I say I doubt it very much because as somebody who knows C++ and CLR both I'm here to tell you there's nothing I can do with CLR that I can't do faster and better in C++. And native C++ versus .NET at runtime? Forget about it. But JA2 is 10 years old so it may run well enough to satisfy people under .NET on today's computers.

CraigCWB

Educated
Nevermind about the "6 years", Jaysyn. I did a google search on "DeFrog" and "JA2 source code" and found this:

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ub ... ber=103136

They are discussing whether or not to "port" the C language source to C++. In much the way I was talking about in my last comment. Only, that was 2004 and not 1992! I had no idea that JA2 was written in C language. I guess they decided to "port" it to CLR instead. As somebody who knows all 3 languages and who has put C++ wrappers on C programs, I can say with some assurance that porting it to CLR was neither easier nor "better" than just slapping a C++ wrapper on it so they could compile it as a C++ program.

Snap (01 April, 2004 08:30 AM) : Technically, C is almost a subset of C++, with a few relatively minor exceptions (most notably, stricter type checks). As long as you can iron out those incompatibilities, you would have a full-fledged C++ code, not a "mix". Programming style is a different issue, and it depends more on the programmer than on the language.

That's wrong. C++ is a SUPERSET of C language. Everything that's in C language is also in C++. Nothing specific to C++ is in C Language. He should have learned that in school :)

They didn't need to port it at all. Any C++ compiler will compile a C language project. There's no real reason to port an existing C project to C++ unless you intend to be doing new versions of it on an ongoing basis. Makes very little sense to go to all that effort for a legacy app. There's no runtime advantage. And then after all that discussion of the difficulties of converting the code from C to C++, they decided to port it to CLR instead? :O

CLR isn't even RELATED to C/C++ except for Microsoft's pretentious and misleading branding.

OK, so this is all 7 years too late. Oh well. Too bad I stopped playing JA2 before that. I coulda helped em out with getting the code C++ compliant, if it was really that important to them. But obviously, it wasn't really that important to them since they ported it to CLR which is not C++ compliant at all....

Whatever!

Korgan

Arbiter
Playing it now, and fuck it's good. Difficulty's just right on Expert, I added 50% to all enemy numbers, but doubled the starting money and added a few more skill points to IMP. There's a lot of elites and they stick together but are kinda vulnerable to interrupts.

talan

Augur
CraigCWB said:
Severian Silk said:

You talking about CLR? It's a proprietary Microsoft Rapid Application Development tool, primarily intended for IT departments to easily be able to knock out low budget middleware apps. Besides the horrific bad run time performance and the complete reliance on the .NET runtimes to perform all OS calls, coding it is a nightmare. Makes me want to vomit just thinking about somebody using that for game development. At least Java LOOKS like C++, even if it doesn't run anywhere near as well. I seriously have no clue why somebody would convert C++ code to any other language. C++ is what all commercial software is written in. MS .NET itself was written in C++, as was Java. All operating systems are written in C++. The only reason to ever write code in any other language is that C++ is hard. But in this case, the code was already written by other people.
.NET is used everywhere - in enterprises, web sites, application development, research and even games (XNA, Unity).

Your information about performance of modern VMs and their languages (C#, Java) is pathetically outdated. Very reminiscent of assembly programmers complaining about the performance of C, and C programmers complaining about the performance of C++.

Despite what you may think, C++ isn't the answer to everything. Not all operating systems are written in C++, Unix and unix-like OSs are written in C. Not all commercial software is written in C++, you're bullshitting completely.

People also don't program in C++ because there are better tools for the job, not because ITZ HARD. You want to say C++ is a good tool for certain jobs, go ahead, saying its the only tool for all programming is stupid. Really stupid. Only a delusional person could say that with a straight face.

talan

Augur
CraigCWB said:
Snap (01 April, 2004 08:30 AM) : Technically, C is almost a subset of C++, with a few relatively minor exceptions (most notably, stricter type checks). As long as you can iron out those incompatibilities, you would have a full-fledged C++ code, not a "mix". Programming style is a different issue, and it depends more on the programmer than on the language.

That's wrong. C++ is a SUPERSET of C language. Everything that's in C language is also in C++. Nothing specific to C++ is in C Language. He should have learned that in school :)
Let A, B be sets.
i) A is a subset of B.
ii) Therefore, B is a superset of A.

You pretty much said the same thing he did, only instead of the relationship of A to B, you did B to A. WHAT DID YOU LEARN IN SKOOL?

And he's right about C almost being a C++ subset.. Want to know who agrees with him? THE CREATOR OF C++

Any C++ compiler will compile a C language project.
Bullshit; modern C++ and C are now siblings (see last paragraphy in link above).

CLR isn't even RELATED to C/C++ except for Microsoft's pretentious and misleading branding.
I humbly disagree with you. Want to know who also disagrees with you? THE CREATOR OF C++

CraigCWB

Educated
talan,

.NET is used everywhere - in enterprises, web sites, application development, research and even games (XNA, Unity).

It's not used in commercial software development. It's not used in operating system development. It's not used in device drivers. Basically, it's not used by anyone who needs to do real high performance programming. Why is that? Well, basically because it's not capable of it.

If you did software development rather than your hobby stuff, or your IT applets, or your web programming, or whatever it is you do, you'd know that.

Your information about performance of modern VMs and their languages (C#, Java) is pathetically outdated. Very reminiscent of assembly programmers complaining about the performance of C, and C programmers complaining about the performance of C++.

That's funny, because I used to be an assembly programmer and I switched to C the minute my boss showed me proof that C language ran just as fast. That was 1991. Prior to that the object code C language generated was not quite as efficient as assembly. It isn't POSSIBLE for anything to ever be MORE efficient than assembly. So that makes C language the fastest compiled programming language in the world. You know what? C++ is right there with C. You know what's not even in the same league? CLR.

How is it that you believe a "managed" application which has to make calls to an external third party runtime engine to do anything at all could even be remotely as good as the language that was used to code the operating system AND that very external third party runtime engine? You talk like you know something, and then you go and say something absurd like that?

Despite what you may think, C++ isn't the answer to everything. Not all operating systems are written in C++, Unix and unix-like OSs are written in C.

You think splitting hairs and arguing semantics will let you off the hook? :D

Not all commercial software is written in C++, you're bullshitting completely.

Right! Some of it is still written in C! Oracle, for instance!

You're dodging like a motherfucker so I suspect you know the truth about commercial and industrial software development.

People also don't program in C++ because there are better tools for the job, not because ITZ HARD.

I could list a lot of people who got fired during their probationary period because they couldn't grasp C++ who'd disagree with you about that :)

You want to say C++ is a good tool for certain jobs, go ahead, saying its the only tool for all programming is stupid. Really stupid. Only a delusional person could say that with a straight face

I didn't say that. In fact, I said that if Java had some better GUI layout tools and better runtime performance that I'd use it myself for small tasks. I hope your programming skills are better than your reading comprehension.

Let A, B be sets.
i) A is a subset of B.
ii) Therefore, B is a superset of A.

You assert that A is a subset of B, but A is a standalone set. It contains no part of B. B, on the other hand, incorporates A in its entirety and uses it as a base on which to expand. A is not derived from B but without A, B could not exist. B is a superset of A, but A is not a subset of B.

Your logic is flawed. You're probably not much of a programmer, with your reading comprehension problems, your logic errors, your shitty attitude, and your nitpicking over details while ignoring the elephant in the room. No wonder you code in CLR.

You pretty much said the same thing he did, only instead of the relationship of A to B, you did B to A. WHAT DID YOU LEARN IN SKOOL? And he's right about C almost being a C++ subset.. Want to know who agrees with him? THE CREATOR OF C++

He inverted the relationship. No big deal. "Almost" is close enough when it comes to programming, isn't it? :o

And here is what the CREATOR OF C++ said:

Bjarne Stroustrup: In the strict mathematical sense, C isn't a subset of C++. There are programs that are valid C but not valid C++ and even a few ways of writing code that has a different meaning in C and C++. However, C++ supports every programming technique supported by C. Every C program can be written in essentially the same way in C++ with the same run-time and space efficiency. It is not uncommon to be able to convert tens of thousands of lines of ANSI C to C-style C++ in a few hours. Thus, C++ is as much a superset of ANSI C as ANSI C is a superset of K&R C and much as ISO C++ is a superset of C++ as it existed in 1985.

I bolded the relevant parts for you, due to your reading comprehension problem. Hope that helps.

ME: Any C++ compiler will compile a C language project.

YOU: Bullshit; modern C++ and C are now siblings (see last paragraphy in link above).

He points out a few exceptions where C++ can't handle C language code snippets, and you use that to call "bullshit" on my claim that any C++ compiler will compile C language projects? Are you a moron or something? I've compiled hundreds of C language projects with a C++ compiler the last 20 years. You know what? It's been 25 years since you could even BUY a C compiler that was not also a C++ compiler. It's the same compiler! JFC. I can't believe I'm wasting my time with you.

Here's a snippet from that last paragraph that I guess you missed:

Bjarne Stroustrup: Except for a few examples such as the ones shown above (and listed in detail in the C++ standard and in Appendix B of The C++ Programming Language (3rd Edition)), C++ is a superset of C.

Enjoy!

ME: CLR isn't even RELATED to C/C++ except for Microsoft's pretentious and misleading branding.

YOU: I humbly disagree with you. Want to know who also disagrees with you? THE CREATOR OF C++

Bjarne Stroustrup: C++/CLI is a set of extensions to ISO C++ that provides an extremely complete "binding" of C++ to Microsoft's CLI (Common Language Infrastructure). It has been standardized by ECMA (ECMA-372). I am happy that it makes every feature of the CLI easily accessible from C++ and happy that C++/CLI is a far better language than its predecessor "Managed C++". However, I am less happy that C++/CLI achieves its goals by essentially augmenting C++ with a separate language feature for each feature of CLI (interfaces, properties, generics, pointers, inheritance, enumerations, and much, much more). This will be a major source of confusion (whatever anyone does or says). The wealth of new language facilities in C++/CLI compared to ISO Standard C++ tempts programmers to write non-portable code that (often invisibly) become intimately tied to Microsoft Windows.

I'm not sure where in there you think he's saying that CLI is related to C++. It seems to me he's talking about Microsoft building some extensions that provide a C++ interface for CLI. CLI itself has more in common with Pascal and Delphi, since they were all created by the same guy. Anyway, it seems Bjarne Stroustrup may be a little too much for you to be able to grasp, though I do appreciate you going straight to the source in your frantic effort to defend your pathetic programming language of choice. Kudos for that. I recommend this one for you:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/computers ... splus.html

For next time you want to be an asshole and start raging about how CLR is just as good as all the real programming languages.

BlaineMono

Liturgist
CraigCWB said:
It isn't POSSIBLE for anything to ever be MORE efficient than assembly.

Oh my god, what a fucking retard.

Not that I'm against C++, I'm a C++ guy myself, but for jehowah's sake, how can you be so fucking stupid, so fucking misinformed and so fucking indignant at the same time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom