Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

L.A. Noire

Exmit

Scholar
I'm in case 13 and the game only gets better.

Sometimes there are 3-4 suspects in one case and there are alot of turns and twists so even with proof you cannot be 100% sure who is the killer. I'm still not sure about few cases if i jailed the right guy.

Should i bust the kiddie raper who was seen with the victim at the crime scene or the husband of the victim who was burning bloodstained shirt ? choices choices.....

Peter

Arcane
I thought you couldn't decide who to lock up most of the time? If that's not the case, it's some major :incline: for this game.

Exmit

Scholar
Peter said:
I thought you couldn't decide who to lock up most of the time? If that's not the case, it's some major :incline: for this game.

after mission 3 you decide who to lock up if there are multiple suspects.

Exmit

Scholar
spoiler:

the biggest mind fuck so far was when one guys initials were H.M. on his suit and the other guy had a working suit with companys name that also was H.M.

There were also 2-3 other items which fitted them both.

Imbecile

Arbiter
It totally is. I'd probably give it an 8 out of 10 so far. Its a pretty interesting game, and while I have issues with some of the repetitive gameplay mechanics and specifically the nature of the homicide missions (can explain more but would be spoilers), overall its a good experience.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't know why I'm asking since it isn't on the PC but how does this compare to the Tex Murphy series?

Zomg

Arbiter
I don't think they could have made the dialog trees failable if they'd explictly shown what your dude was gonna say like a Fallout/BG/whatever. Whenever I pick "doubt" or even "truth" it's random as shit what he's gonna come out with. Might be, "Are you sure that's all you want to talk about?" might be, "ADMIT IT YOU ARE A MURDERER YOU FUCKING WHORE, ADMIT ITTTT", but then if I knew which I'd always get the right pick.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The facial capture is pretty good for telling if they're lying or being deceitful, of course some are harder than other to read so that's when intuition helps.

I don't really remember Under a Killing Moon, L.A. Noire doesn't really have puzzles like an Adventure game. Basically the game follows a pattern where you get to a crime scene (or location) and look for evidence or leads, then you usually question someone and use the leads to travel to another location and do it all over again. When you're questioning someone you decide if they're being truthful, if they're lying (you have evidence that contradicts what they tell you), or you doubt they're being completely honest. If you choose correctly they'll cough up a little extra information that'll help your case.

Zomg

Arbiter
As far as I've played it it also doesn't matter as far as whether you can progress towards the ending whether you get all the clues and the truth/doubt/lie stuff right, you still go on to the next case, you just miss nuances and arrest the red herring instead of whoever "actually" did it. And every time you go to the next case it's a blank slate reset to a linear game so they don't have to worry about "deep" branching, just immediate within-case branching. So the adventure element of the game is all narrative, the stuff you can actually lose is interludes of cover shooter shit, chase driving, foot chases, sterotypical movie cop stuff.

The shifts between cinematic conversation mode and video game mode are jarring as fuck. Like you are investigating a murder in a fairly realistic fashion and suddenly you kill some dudes in a shootout and you don't even pause to acknowledge it

It's like Police Quest if you took out all the hard fail states and substituted fake success, reset it all between missions, and then threw in a bunch of generic sandbox minigame interludes. I'm pretty impressed honestly, shit was risky and it works fairly well, they cashed in their cred with game reviewers and retards to put out something different

Exmit

Scholar
Zomg said:
I don't think they could have made the dialog trees failable if they'd explictly shown what your dude was gonna say like a Fallout/BG/whatever. Whenever I pick "doubt" or even "truth" it's random as shit what he's gonna come out with. Might be, "Are you sure that's all you want to talk about?" might be, "ADMIT IT YOU ARE A MURDERER YOU FUCKING WHORE, ADMIT ITTTT", but then if I knew which I'd always get the right pick.

It's not random , when you say 'lie' its always the 'admit it part' and you need to have proof to back up your claim.

It goes like this

truth - well, obvious, when other guy is telling the truth

doubt- when other dude is not telling the whole truth and leaving some parts out

lie- when someone is lying and you have evidence to back it up

ou still go on to the next case, you just miss nuances and arrest the red herring instead of whoever "actually" did it.

Without them at the end you won't have an idea who the killer is if there are a few guys, so they are pretty important.

So even though the case finishes, you can jail the wrong guy and you won't even know about it.

And every time you go to the next case it's a blank slate reset to a linear game so they don't have to worry about "deep" branching, just immediate within-case branching

Spoiler:

Case 13 goes back to all the cases before with a twist, and earlier you also get hints of something not being 'right' that goes through all the cases up to this one.

Radisshu

Prophet
Spoilers:

I bought this a few days ago, and while I initially really liked it, now it mostly feels like it's riding on its huge budget. The dialogue is good, but otherwise the writers really suck - they're only capable of writing completely incompetent criminals. A pair's way of covering up a murder is by pushing a guy in front of a car - AFTER STABBING HIM IN THE GUT, which is only discovered after a fucking autopsy. You actually catch the Black Dahlia killer, but oh, only because he starts planting retarded clues, and it's never explained how he framed every other fucking character you arrested for his murders in the previous five or six cases. It's ridiculous. Every killer you catch in the homicide portion of this game is either retarded, framed by the Dahlia killer, or "wants to be caught" by testing your wit (signs of a shitty writer).

Still, though, it mostly plays like a decent adventure game (mostly linear), with some annoying chases (by car and by foot) and popamole scenes thrown in, so I guess I'm still enjoying it. Just not as much as I thought I did. Couldn't they are least hire a competent writer to come up with the murder cases? Seriously, fuck.

The interrogation scenes are really nice, though. This game could've been truly great without all the bullshit thrown in, I guess the talent of the development team was too unevenly distributed.

Radisshu

Prophet
zeitgeist said:
ghostdog said:
The actor chosen for the main character is a blatant miscast for the role of the hard-boiled detective and has an annoyingly moronic face.
He doesn't seem to fit the setting very well, he looks like he's just playing dress-up. It's a common issue in modern neo-noir movies too, some elements always feel out of place (and it's usually cast members). Not nearly as much of an issue in older neo-noir though.

I disagree. He's not supposed to be the hard-boiled detective, he's supposed to be the "golden boy" that is well educated and cultured but has a naïve view on the morals of the world he inhabits.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
Radisshu said:
zeitgeist said:
ghostdog said:
The actor chosen for the main character is a blatant miscast for the role of the hard-boiled detective and has an annoyingly moronic face.
He doesn't seem to fit the setting very well, he looks like he's just playing dress-up. It's a common issue in modern neo-noir movies too, some elements always feel out of place (and it's usually cast members). Not nearly as much of an issue in older neo-noir though.

I disagree. He's not supposed to be the hard-boiled detective, he's supposed to be the "golden boy" that is well educated and cultured but has a naïve view on the morals of the world he inhabits.

xap26v.png

Black Dahlia is the antagonist? kewl
shoulda roped James Ellroy onto it, he woulda wrote a good Black Dahlia story. Probably wouldnt of minded too much either. Long as they could interupt him from his political thrillers.

Lumpy

Arcane
Satori said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSnFdVvHRXc
:lol: This guy is a fucking retard. I love how he insists "You're not dumb if you get the clues wrong, because there's no logic to it", when the logic is pretty god damn obvious.

Also, he keeps complaining that you can't "be a bad cop and kill people".

And, at the end, he's worried that he might be arresting the wrong person. Which is supposed to be a general theme in the game, but in that particular case, the person they're arresting is the pretend victim who framed his own murder. And they say that. Jesus fucking Christ.

Drakron

Arcane
hoodoo said:
Black Dahlia is the antagonist? kewl

No, the Homicide Desk case seem to be about real cases that were altered and mixed,the Black Dahlia case was just merged into the Lipstick murders among others.

Also you are then moved up to Vice (and later demoted to Arson) so he not the main antagonist.

Radisshu

Prophet
The BD killer story wouldn't impress any BD, or lipstick killer, enthusiast, I think. Sure, the crime scenes feel cool, but they bit off more than they could chew and everything panned out in a ridiculous manner IMHO (spoiler: with you chasing some guy in a pseudo-victorian outfit around a cemetary, and after killing him your boss comes down and says something like "good job, lads, but he's the half-brother of a powerful politician so drop it, also this is a pretty good excuse for not having to explain how he could frame all those other people right lol?").

I'm liking the "main" story (vice) a lot more right now, the first plot about drug trafficking was actually pretty decent. No huge bloodied knives found in trash cans.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vice and Arson+ redeem the game nicely. The partner on Vice is awesome, just a total asshole. If they do a sequel/spinoff that's more a mix of the investigations and a GTAish open world they should make Roy Earle the main protagonist.

Imbecile

Arbiter
HanoverF said:
Vice and Arson+ redeem the game nicely. The partner on Vice is awesome, just a total asshole. If they do a sequel/spinoff that's more a mix of the investigations and a GTAish open world they should make Roy Earle the main protagonist.

Yeah, essentially homicide sucked. I liked the Chinatown feel of arson, and I'm hoping that the ending sets up a detective agency spin off.

I actually wished that they'd made the world smaller with more freedom to find your own locations and clues, and with one single case, but I suppose that would be too difficult :(

FaChoi

Educated
DriacKin said:
He criticized it for the dialogue options being too ambiguous

How unfortunate Yahtzee fell for the big retard trap set up to catch the stupid or if not stupid then certainly not paying attention or thinking about the evidence and what people are telling you.

That case about the guy with the glasses has bugged the shit outta me as more than a few times i've heard people complain when they picked lie and showed the busted specs as evidence to his wife.
derp- she's lying his glasses were old and brokken.

How did anyone have a problem with that?
Glasses held together with tape at the scene.
Victim is almost blind without them.
Wife says he just bought a new pair.

So either
A. She is a lying bitch whore, he never bought a new pair and was brutally murdered, then his body dissappeared.
Evidence for this is superficial, even at that it's fag paper thin. I don't think it even let's you leave the scene until you've gathered the evidence that casts serious doubt on this theory.

B. He is wearing his new glasses and the old ones were left at the scene.
Tons of evidence pointing this direction, honestly If you didn't realise the 'murder' scene was fake after looking in the boot(trunk) then take the game out and load up Barneys magical hand holding adventure again. Can't go wrong with a purple dinosaur telling you every step to take.

:x ahhh. That's better, fucking troll reviewers.

I never felt the dialogue was too ambiguous, lie, doubt or truth. The choice of what evidence to produce if they are lying was more ambiguous, especially in some cases where I'd collected a full page of evidence and 3 or 4 items all pointed to the same thing. "no that list of prisoners with my name on it doesn't prove I was in prison" but a picture of a another man signed "with love, bubba. xxx" does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom