Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum - Summoner: Goodbye, Arcanum?

Fafnir

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
:x Have fun!

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
It's always like that - the more responsible a position, the more incomptenent the person holding it. Very true to life. :smug:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Gawd, sorry for the late update, but I really couldn't muster the effort to do it after the dentist ordeal. Two tooth extraction...well, one of them failed after multiple tries...it shattered in half and the dentist couldn't get a grip on it despite bleeding my cheek after repeated pulls.

In the end she had to resort to surgery. I bit on the gauze for an hour after that and sat for the First Class movie to pass time. Couldn't even eat.

Alright, here it is. I better update before I forget how the story flows.

Music: A Cruce Victoria

Caladon's advisory board chairman wasted no time with pleasantries and fired off his first question.

20.jpg

me.jpg
In respect of Caladon's strength and sovereignty, I hereby promise that Caladon can build AND own her own railroads.

The chairman raised his eyebrow, obviously not expecting such a generous gesture from the start. He smiled momentarily before recovering his composure, reminding himself that this might be a sweetener to a bitter medicine Caladon will have to swallow in other terms of negotiations. Similar reactions were had by his cohorts.

dip.jpg
On the subject of magick and its uses within city walls?
me.jpg
Even though technology and steam engines had begun to spread, we must still respect the old ways, especially in the hands of talented people. Hence, Magick users...will receive special privileges in many areas.

The chairman nodded, his face a mix of surprise and confusion. Obviously he expected a stricter control of magick usage much like Tarant's, yet this Tarant's negotiator proposed otherwise and he didn't like the way that mustached gentleman behind the negotiator's grin when the proposal was given.

dip.jpg
And what of the technological trade issues, more specifically the economic and social status of Mr. Gilbert Bates?
me.jpg
He has achieved many things, but now his company is operating under his name only, sans his expertise in steam engine. I don't believe Caladon industries would benefit from the entry of unfair foreign competition. Therefore, in the light of Mr. Bates' unfortunate death, regretfully I must say that Mr.Bates's company will be treated like any other business.

The whole room nodded approvingly. It seems some were quiet worries of the Bates monopoly entering Caladon.

dip.jpg
And the military? What will happen to our army and navy?
me.jpg
Half of the army and navy will serve in the Unified Batallions. Together, the Unified Kingdoms will protect their interests and allow no foreign powers to interfere within their sphere of influence.

Gilford admitted to himself that he had no idea of the ramifications of such proposal. Willoughsby's journal did mention that Caladon had no desire to maintain a full standing army while within the UK. If only he had impressed the general, he might gain a better picture of the situation. Yet, the Advisory Board Chairman seems satisfied by this military proposal and continued with the next point of agreement.

dip.jpg
And what of the so-called 'membership tax' that is placed on all new entrants into the Unified Kingdom?
me.jpg
In recognition of Caladon's newly joined status and their achievements, we have decided upon no tax for 5 years, followed by a reduced rate. We hope this gracious gesture will foster better relations between Caladon and the rest of the Unified Kingdoms' members.

A disbelieving smile crept into the chairman's lips. No taxes for 5 years? And a further reduced rate? Whatever proposals may come, it will surely prove nothing compared to the advantage previous proposals might bring! Still, the matter of Caladonian currency is still in contention, and he needs to maintain a composure in this matter.

dip.jpg
And what of the requirement that all Unified Kingdom members must discontinue use of their own currencies and change to the Unified Gold standard?
me.jpg
After much deliberation, and review of Caladon's economic performance, the Tarant Industrial Council has decided that they're both of equal value.
dip.jpg
WHAT?
me.jpg
You've heard me right, sir. Caladonian gold and Unified Gold will be honored equally...

Gasps escaped from the advisory board members lips. Some covering their mouth to hide their overwhelming joy and disbelief. Should this proposal come true, then the Caladon economy would have nothing to lose. The chairman recovered first.

dip.jpg
And what of Caladonian shipping routes - who will receive privileges and concessions?
me.jpg
Those will always be within your rights.The Unified Kingdom members will always pay a toll for their use...
dip.jpg
I...I am overwhelmed. May I remind you that these terms are irreversible once signed, correct?
me.jpg
I'm not here to play games, sir. Please proceed with the next point.
dip.jpg
Very well. What of labor unions? What laws might be enacted concerning them?
me.jpg
I'm sure you've read the news of labor strikes in Tarant, especially with the recent violent uprising by the infamous Donn Throgg...
dip.jpg
Yes, I've heard of it..
me.jpg
Well, let's just say the only surefire way of preventing such future happenings is to outlaw the labor unions...
dip.jpg
Mmm...I see your point..but...
me.jpg
Is to fight fire with fire. Especially if they are prone to violent uprisings. We can't have that in Caladon. No, not at all. I propose those people in labor unions will be shot on sight.
dip.jpg
I...uh..
me.jpg
Next point please.
dip.jpg
On the number of votes Caladon will have in the Unified Parliament? Where do you stand on that issue?
me.jpg
We regard Caladon as equal to Tarant. Mr. Willoughsby thought of starting Caladon with 2 votes first, then 3 after five years....yet, I don't agree.
dip.jpg
I was hoping you might see it their way...*Looks disappointed.* So...what is your proposal then?

The chairman understood his situation. If Caladon was given less than 2 votes, her interests would be severely undermined in the Unified Kingdom. But all the sweet fruits of taxes, railroad agreements as well as currency will have a bitter pill to swallow. He braced himself for the worst.

me.jpg
Yes, unlike Mr. Willoughsby and what the rest of the Industrial Council thinks, I feel Caladon will have the same number of votes that Tarant has...

The room grew still. Eyes growing larger and larger. Gilford had to resist the urge to break into laughter. The chairman stood there, completely red-faced, caught off-guard.

seb.jpg
*Whispers* Ha ha, did you see the sweat on his eyebrows?
me.jpg
Chairman?
dip.jpg
I..Uh..*gasps for breath.* WHY Yes! Of course! The LAST POINT, it is well-known that Tarant is dependent upon Caladon for grain, and they make a lot of their money through taxes on exported produce. What concessions will be made to our farmers, who enjoy a demanding market?
me.jpg
Why, my dear chairman, what do you think? After all the concessions I've proposed to you. What is the most fair?
dip.jpg
Uh...I...(He's toying with me. Argh!) I..I feel that the tariff should stand for an additional 3 years ..or so. Before it's abolished. It's only fair, isn't it? As a member of Unified Kingdom, Caladon should contribute to the well-being of fellow members.
me.jpg
I disagree. They toil hard in the field, growing things that other people wouldn't bother with...
dip.jpg
You are proposing..
me.jpg
Yes. The rich can afford to pay for it. Especially Tarant. Caladonian farmers will always collect the grain tariff. It's their just reward.
dip.jpg
Thank you for your candor in this matter, sir. Give us a moment to discuss what we have heard today, and to make a decision concerning what our recommendation will be...
me.jpg
Of course...
seb.jpg
They must be stupid if they reject it.
geoff.jpg
Special privileges, ho-ho! Maybe I should move to Caladon.
me.jpg
Yeah, keep quiet. They're almost done.
21.jpg

21a.jpg

me.jpg
Thank you, and good day. *Salutes.* May Caladon prosper under the Unified Kingdom.
dip.jpg
If there are more people like you, we might.
me.jpg
Yes, indeed.

Gilford carefully puts the agreement into his pack and steps out of the negotiation chamber. His exit was met with many anxious eyes on the hall. Slowly, each one of them step forth and shook his hands. On their other hand, usually a pouch follows.

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

seb.jpg
Willoughsby and the gnomes are going to have a rat up their arse when they hear about this.
me.jpg
That, and a blade to their throat if they do something stupid.
seb.jpg
Don't forget a bullet to the temple.

The party left the palace, as the Caladon guards salute their exit.

25.jpg

me.jpg
Ah, Willoughsby. Of course... here it is...

The look of excitement on the gnome's face changed to utter disgust and contempt as he flipped pages after pages. Gilford's grin grew wider as the gnome reach later pages and finally concluded the document with a face palm.

will.jpg
Oh...this is most disappointing. I was confident that you'd be able to negotiate better terms than this! Both tarant and the Unified Kingdom have lost much here. *He frowns at Gilford, squinting his eyes.* Perhaps your were influenced...before the proceedings? Hmmm?
me.jpg
I did what I felt was best, Mr. Willoughsby...
will.jpg
Perhaps it was my mistake in thinking you had the characteristics of a skilled mediator. I blame myself for this situation, and for your failure. Still, you did your best with the limited mental faculties at your disposal. I can't with good conscience train you to be a Master in persuasion, but I'll pay you 3000 gold pieces of your troubles.
me.jpg
*Takes the money.* Thank you, sir. But before you go...I believe you'll like this additional terms I've negotiated with them.
will.jpg
*Takes the book* What? What is this? *Flips through the journal.* What - preposterous! You really think *I* did this?
me.jpg
Say what you want....'Mr. X.' Your days of dominance are over. Caladon will overtake you.
will.jpg
You think this treaty is binding?! This is a joke! We'll put it under review and if they object, they'll have a war under their hands!
me.jpg
A war you won't live to see...
will.jpg
You'll kill me? IN BROAD DAYLIGHT? You don't know who you're messing with! Guards!
me.jpg
They won't help you. As far as they're concerned, I *AM* their hero. This is Tarant's business, good guard.

The guard simply nodded.

will.jpg
I'm sorry you feel that way. Lorham, kill this ruffian...
me.jpg
A pity Lorham, your mother would've wanted you to kill this man.
26.jpg

will.jpg
You'll never beat us, you won't!
me.jpg
BACK OFF! He's MINE!
27.jpg

me.jpg
ARISE, LORHAM! AVENGE YOUR PARENTS! CRUSH THIS FOOL!
28.jpg

geoff.jpg
Bastard really did it! Hahah! Necromancy!
seb.jpg
Devil's balls!

The dead ogre rose and grips his master's neck tightly. Willoughsby gurgled a few words as his eyes began to bulge out from the strain.

me.jpg
Yeah, fuck you too.

The gnome went limp.

me.jpg
Farewell, Lorham. Rest in peace.

With the magickal bond released, Lorham drew his last breath and collapsed as well.

29.jpg

The two palace guards paid no heed.

friartucksduck

Educated
RK47 said:
Gawd, sorry for the late update, but I really couldn't muster the effort to do it after the dentist ordeal. Two tooth extraction...well, one of them failed after multiple tries...it shattered in half and the dentist couldn't get a grip on it despite bleeding my cheek after repeated pulls.

In the end she had to resort to surgery. I bit on the gauze for an hour after that and sat for the First Class movie to pass time. Couldn't even eat.

Good God, man! Sorry to hear that. And with all that, you still consider *this* a "late update?" Truly, you are a hero of our age. :bravo:

And what an update! Incredible dialogue work here, and great story development at the end. Here's hoping we'll see further results of the eugenics revelation.

Lindblum

Augur
The dialouge you had with Mr. Willoughsby does it realy happen if you investigated the "Breeding Quest"?

While many people say that the quest ended prematurely I personally think the Devs did a good job ending it where they did.

The breeding was done long ago and in all honesty there is nothing you can really do about it now.

RK47

Patron
Lindblum said:
The dialouge you had with Mr. Willoughsby does it realy happen if you investigated the "Breeding Quest"?

While many people say that the quest ended prematurely I personally think the Devs did a good job ending it where they did.

The breeding was done long ago and in all honesty there is nothing you can really do about it now.

No. The in-game dialog ends when he says he refuse to train and gives 3000. The player is allowed to attack ...or move on. The Breeding Quest I felt needs more resolution. I know we're facing a bunch of powerful ppl, but why can't we make powerful allies like Caladon as well?

Also: X-men First Class is good. But Emma Frost generates no response from my groin. Perhaps I was biting too hard on the gauze while the movie was playing.

RK47

Patron
me.jpg
Well, with that business settled..we better get back to work.
seb.jpg
Digging up the Misk's grave?
me.jpg
No..not yet. It's still too early. Let's look into some leads I got from the Underground...this warehouse here. Can you pick the lock?
seb.jpg
No problem.

01.jpg

With a satisfying click the lock opens and the party descends into the basement.

02.jpg

me.jpg
Looks like you can't open everything, after all.
seb.jpg
Well, I'm no master thief...
torian.jpg
Stand back.

With a mighty swing, the Charged Axe smashes the chest into two...exposing the contents within.

seb.jpg
Would love if you waited a moment before swinging, warrior.
me.jpg
Ahh, look at that. Caladon's finest! *Holds up the armor.*

03.jpg

seb.jpg
*Whistles* Damn. That sword isn't half-bad either. It's light and well-balanced. Virgil, give it a try!
virgil.jpg
Oh..very well.
seb.jpg
What's the matter with him?
me.jpg
Not sure...just leave him be for now. Torian, I believe you should wear this.

04.jpg

torian.jpg
Mmmm. I can feel strength coursing in my veins...I feel much...faster and stronger.
me.jpg
Wear it with pride.
seb.jpg
Damn, that Underground tipster was really something. We done here?
me.jpg
Done here, but not with Caladon. There's more...let's go...

The party continued their thieving adventures to the docks' warehouse...

06.jpg

As well as the local inn...

07.jpg

By the end of the day, their pouch grew larger...

08.jpg

Gilford fenced all the loot except for the armor.

me.jpg
Right, we're quite done here. Let's head over to our butler...

10.jpg

me.jpg
What can you tell me about Elmer Burbottom, Wesley?
butler.jpg
*He looks immediately worried.* Wh-what? How do you...? *His face then goes hard.* Have you been going through my personal belongings, sir? Will I be forced to call on the authorities, sir?
me.jpg
I've been asking around. Do you have something to worry about?
butler.jpg
Uh..nothing. Nothing at all. I just don't appreciate your accusations, sir. And I don't like you peering into my personal business, sir. I recommend you don't do so again. Now, we've nothing left to talk about. Please leave this house. NOW.
me.jpg
I'm sure we'll be seeing one another again, Wesley. Good day to you...
seb.jpg
*Whispers.* We may have nothing on him now, but that name...Elmer Burbottom, sounds fake, doesn't it? Let's find out in the Tarant Records Office.
me.jpg
Great idea...we'll head there later. After we look into the Whytechurch murders and find that book.
seb.jpg
As you wish.

Later, at the police station...

11.jpg

me.jpg
I was told to ask you about the murders.
cap.jpg
Well, I am pleased that somebody with semblance of intelligence has taken an interest in this case. *He turns around and shouts to the room* ALL I GOT WORKING FOR ME ARE A GROUP OF SLACK-JAWED SIMIANS!
me.jpg
*Removes his hand from his ears.* Thank you, I think. What can you tell me of the murders?
cap.jpg
Well, the journalists have taken to calling this maniac the Whytechurch killer, after his favorite section of the town. Here's a list of the murder sites. If you're interested in helping, you could go look these places over.
me.jpg
Are there any clues you know of that could help me out?
cap.jpg
Well, this bloke likes his prostitutes, he does. We got one in a cell back there. She actually caught a glimpse of the degenerate while he was cutting up a friend of hers. She demanded we lock her up for protection. It spooked her so bad. You can go speak with her, if you care to.
me.jpg
I see. That sounds like a capital idea. Good day.
seb.jpg
Sounds like a work of a maniac. Slaying ladies. They're not the noblest of soul, but they do provide comfort to the men in town.
me.jpg
Mmm-hmm. *Enters the lock-up room and looks around.* Can you pick that locker over there, the Underground wants that dossier on Criminal Records.
seb.jpg
Hah, what an opportunist you are. I'll do it!
12.jpg

me.jpg
Thank you very much, Sebastian. I'll interrogate the witness now.

13.jpg

me.jpg
I'm no constable, ma'am. Just an interested citizen.
wit.jpg
Are you some sort of degenerate, sir? There is a madman on the loose out there and you are 'interested'? This is nothing to play at, good sir.
me.jpg
I apologize with my poor choice of words, madam. I am simply offering my help to put an end to these murders.
wit.jpg
I can tell you what I've seen. It was the most horrible vision I ever hope to behold. That pale skinned, slight shadow of a man, kneeling over Emily...and the blood! It was a sight I shall never forget.
me.jpg
Start from the beginning, if you would.
wit.jpg
We were out, working, and Emily had forgotten something or other at her home. So I waited for her outside, but she never came out. When I went inside to look for her is when I saw him.
me.jpg
What did he look like?
wit.jpg
It was difficult to tell, really, all that blood. *She shivers.* As I said, he was a slight man, possibly an elf. He didn't appear to be possessing much physical power. He must'ave cast some sort of magick on her, he did.
me.jpg
You didn't see him go into the house?
wit.jpg
No, and there is really no way to enter the house that I couldn't see from where I was standing.
me.jpg
I see. Good day, madam. Seb?
seb.jpg
Can't say, really. We need to see the body first.
me.jpg
Same here. Let's go.

Later...

14.jpg

15.jpg

me.jpg
Gruesome. That's a lot of blood on the victim. Smeared all over...greenish tint...hmm. There's a trap door here...*Gives it a tug.* No. Too heavy.
seb.jpg
I really doubt anything technological can lift open this door...It has to be a magick user. It's very common among elves.
me.jpg
We'll fight fire with fire.
seb.jpg
Huh?
me.jpg
Arise...victim. Help me deliver justice upon thine murderer!
16.jpg

seb.jpg
Devil's balls!
geoff.jpg
Mmmm...you could've done that from the start, y'know....
me.jpg
Who killed you? Who did this to you?
ghost.jpg
L'anamelach...he seemed to be fighting with himself...he wrote his name in blood on me...then wiped it off, screaming...
me.jpg
L'anamelach? Who's that?
ghost.jpg
I thought he was a gentle elf...but once we...started...he turned into a hideous demon...that is all I know. I..died quickly, though painfully...please, let me go now.
me.jpg
Are you sure there is nothing else? Why did he kill you?
ghost.jpg
He was evil...a demon...please...I know nothing else....
me.jpg
I promise I'll bring this murderer to justice. Peace be with you. *Releases the spirit.*
seb.jpg
Nice going. We have a name now. Let's report this to the Chief Inspector.

The Captain wasn't too pleased with the mention of the demon's name....

17.jpg

me.jpg
But the prostitute said it was a man of slight build, possibly an elf...
cap.jpg
That is extremely peculiar. I do not understand much about this whole demon business, myself. Just know I hate them, is all.
me.jpg
What next, then?
cap.jpg
You need to find a demonologist to talk to. I'd send you to talk to the demonologist who helped me out, but he had a ,uh, rather unfortunate run in with the demon I was hunting. Demons don't like those demonologists giving away their secrets, eh?
me.jpg
Mmmm. Then, where can I find one?
cap.jpg
Well, you'd best be prepared to go fight some heinous creatures in some dank dungeon. Bleedin' demons! When do I get the case where I have to go to some nice tropical island to solve it? I am too old for this balderdash. And hurry it up, if the king's advisors get wind of the murderer being a demon, they'll try to call in Payne.
me.jpg
Who's Payne?
cap.jpg
He is an overrated, over inflated, self important big game hunter. The bloke has tracked down and killed just about everything you could think of, and everyone goes runnin' to him at the slightest hint of trouble. I do not need his arrogance mucking about with my investigation. I am capable of getting this handled myself, thank you very much.
me.jpg
You handle it? Don't you mean me?
cap.jpg
*He throws up his hands in disgust* Am I going to have to begin dealing with your preposterous arrogance now? If you want to do the job, great, if not, leave me be!
me.jpg
Calm down, I'll do the job.
seb.jpg
We'll need to find a demonologist to educate us of this L'anamelach fellow...
me.jpg
Where do you think this sort of person would be?
seb.jpg
Lots of experts in many fields of study in Tarant's University. We should start there. Shall we?
me.jpg
I don't see why not. We don't want that pompous Payne in the arse coming here and steal the show, do we?
seb.jpg
Agreed, let's move.

They booked a passage to Tarant immediately.

Conkrete Knight

Educated
This is genius, just like playing the game for the first time.
I really did not think that it would be possible to make an interesting Arcanum LP, and here I am being entertained to the fullest.
Good work sire!

Coyote

Arcane
RK47 said:
The writing of this LP has gotten considerably close to invading my work time that sometimes in between idle office hours and lunch...I kept second guessing myself on how to tie up sub plots and introduce new ones in the already quite 'open' style of narration Arcanum presents. I forced myself to sleep in the bus and subway trips to gain more rest time due to the sleepless nights I had of narrating this crazed LP.

Ah, now I understand why you were concerned when I mentioned my insomnia in that other thread.

(Also, I've got this sudden image of you as the girl at the end of Black Swan,
saying "Perfect... It was perfect," while you lay dying from the exertion of completing this LP. :P)

On a hindsight, I should've LP'ed Fable 3 instead.

Well, as someone who just read through this entire LP in one sitting, I'm glad that you chose to do Arcanum. Great LP, one of the best I've seen. That said, I doubt anyone would be too put off if you slowed down the rate of updates a bit (well, anyone reasonable), and it sounds like it could do you some good.

At any rate, this is well-deserved:

:bravo: :salute:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Coyote said:
RK47 said:
The writing of this LP has gotten considerably close to invading my work time that sometimes in between idle office hours and lunch...I kept second guessing myself on how to tie up sub plots and introduce new ones in the already quite 'open' style of narration Arcanum presents. I forced myself to sleep in the bus and subway trips to gain more rest time due to the sleepless nights I had of narrating this crazed LP.

What, really!?

Poor RK47. :cry:

Coyote said:
That said, I doubt anyone would be too put off if you slowed down the rate of updates a bit (well, anyone reasonable), and it sounds like it could do you some good.

This. I mean, you're doing awesome things with this LP, but boy, the condition you describe is frightening...

In any case, :salute:

RK47

Patron
Desmodus Rotundus said:
You didn't need to go to Tarant for that demonologist, could have used telegraph to get the info. I guess you wanted to get to the census data in tarant anyway though.

Another one of those little bits and pieces I've never discovered before...Good show!

I think my game is bugged by the Dark helmet. My alignment is still at -100. It won't drop. :lol:

Lindblum

Augur
You mean it won't go above -100?

I read on Terra-Arcanum that Alignment is actually a 4 digit number.
eg 1234

But the game actually only shows 3 digits
eg 123

Well I can guess whats in store for a certain character later in the game.

RK47

Patron
Yeah, we're stuck in the path to darkness. Littered with the corpses of our foes...

torian.jpg
We've arrived, master.
me.jpg
I...thank you, Torian. I've somewhere I want to go first...
seb.jpg
It's late. Can't it wait till morning?
me.jpg
I've had enough rest on the ship. Let's go.

Later, at the Tarantian Times office...

01.jpg

me.jpg
Greetings, sir. I have evidence of a conspiracy you may be interested in.
editor.jpg
*A look of suspicion crosses his face* What do you mean, 'conspiracy?' Is this some type of jest?
me.jpg
The Industrial Council has been illegally breeding half ogres!
editor.jpg
Hah! And I suppose you have proof of this?
me.jpg
Yes, I -
seb.jpg
Wait a minute! *Pulls Alain aside* Are you insane?! You got away with killing Willoughsby on Caladon because the guards aren't under his payroll! But here?! In the middle of Tarant? Think about this carefully...
me.jpg
We'll hand the documents to him now. Visit the University immediately and leave in the darkness of the night. Should problem arise, we'll set sail from Ashbury or Black Root. Problem?
seb.jpg
You've thought this through, haven't you? *Shrugs* Oh well, go ahead...
editor.jpg
Well?
me.jpg
*Shows the editor the journal.*
editor.jpg
By the gods! Quick, put it away! *He hands it back to Alain.* This is dangerous, you hear me? I can't take it here...bring it to the office in Caladon. Sam Longwell will help you with this. It's at 7 Saints Avenue. Hurry! And don't tell anyone else about this...
me.jpg
Very well...
seb.jpg
That's more reasonable. Let's head to the university first. Poke about the demon's origins.

Later, at Tarant's University...

02.jpg

seb.jpg
Looks like we've got our man
me.jpg
Pray tell, who are you?
egon.jpg
Yes, yes, of course. You will have to excuse my excitement, I am new to this whole phrenology discipline. My colleague, professor Gershwin, is doing wonderful things in the field. By way of introduction, I am Professor Eakins, Scientician and Expert of Demonology.
me.jpg
*Raises his eyebrow* (Magick and science, eh?) Let's cut to the chase. Time's wasting. I need information about L'anamelach.
egon.jpg
Did you say L'anamelach? By the gods, why did you not say so sooner.
me.jpg
Tell me everything about him. It's very important.
egon.jpg
Yes it is, why do you persist in mucking about? This is serious business.
me.jpg
*Rolls eyes* (Serious business, he says.) Ever heard of the Whytechurch murderer.
egon.jpg
Gods! I had my suspicions those murders were demonic in nature, but I never suspected L'anamelach. This is bad news, indeed.
me.jpg
Looks, I'm a summoner as well. What's so different about this demon?
egon.jpg
L'anamelach is one of the few demons that has the ability to possess a living being. As such, he can move among us undetected. In days of old, human sacrifices of thousands of victims were required to satiate him once he was summoned. He will be with us for a long time if we do not act to stop him.
me.jpg
He was summoned here? To what end?
egon.jpg
That is a long story, let us simply say that the summoner is paying the penance for the summoning. He is the beast's present host, and has been for the past 500 years, I bet that elf wishes he was possessed of a shorter life span, now.
me.jpg
How did it come to possess this elf?
egon.jpg
As I said, it is a long story, but I think I have...ah, yes. Here it is. 'The Legend of T'erre d' V'nt'. You can read the demon's story in here. *He hands over a book.*
me.jpg
That's nice. But how do I kill it.
egon.jpg
You must stab it through the heart with the Blade of Xerxes.
me.jpg
Let me guess, it's in a dungeon somewhere, guarded by demons.
seb.jpg
Uh, huh. I can't wait.
egon.jpg
Not just any dungeon - the Pit of Fires - deep within the Stonewall Mountains! Forged deep within the underworld by fire demons, it is the only weapon in Arcanum that can be guaranteed to strike the demon down. If one was to try to defeat the demon with anything but the blade, it would be disastrous indeed.
me.jpg
Why?
egon.jpg
If the Blade is plunged into the heart of the host, the demon will be sent back to the underworld as the unfortunate host dies. If he is killed by any other method, the demon shall be loosed from the confines of his host, and he will be virtually unstoppable.
seb.jpg
And that would be bad.
egon.jpg
Infinitely so. Are you going to retrieve the Blade to put an end to his rampage?
me.jpg
Yes. Where in the Stonewall Mountains is the Pit of Fires?
egon.jpg
Here, let me mark your map.
me.jpg
This ought to be interesting. Before I leave, what is this phrenology you speak of earlier?
egon.jpg
You should ask my colleague more about it. It's the science of skulls, you see. He's an expert of the area, he's the gnome by the entrance. You can't miss him.
me.jpg
Mmm, okay.

03.jpg

me.jpg
Nice to meet you, Benjamin. Did you say prhenology?
ben.jpg
It's a science of the head! You see, every man and woman's head is characterized by different bumps and ridges. Through studying these, I attempt to extrapolate the personality of the individual mentioned. It's dreadfully interesting, and pehnomenally accurate...
me.jpg
Hmmm. Will you read MY head?
ben.jpg
Surely! Here, if you'll just lower your head, and turn to the right...
me.jpg
*Alain follows the professor's instructions.*
ben.jpg
Ah...oh! Quite interesting! I would surmise, unquestionably, that you are indeed a human!
seb.jpg
geoff.jpg
*Golf claps.*
me.jpg
Your powers amaze me, Benjamin.
ben.jpg
Yes, yes I know. But remember, it's not me, it's science! And phrenology is the science of the future!
me.jpg
Speaking of skulls, I have a question...
ben.jpg
Yes, what is it?
me.jpg
I am interested in the skulls of the Ren'ar Siamese twins.
ben.jpg
Ahhh, yes...interesting case, that. They were elvish debutantes who were joined at the hip their whole lives! Scandalous characters as well...stories of their exploits still float around the elite Tarantian social circles...
me.jpg
Tell me more about them.
ben.jpg
Well, there are quite a few interesting rumors in the air about their heritage not being completely elven, and bizarre conspiracy theories somehow centering around them. I had the opportunity to examine the skulls before they were interred, though, and I can tel you unequivocally that they were pure bred elves. All the gossip is definitely untrue.
seb.jpg
Yes, definitely not true for gnomes...
me.jpg
*Nods at Sebastian.* Thank you for your time, Professor. We've got a pit of fire to extinguish.
ben.jpg
Oh? Do come again!

04.jpg

The party journeyed west to the Pit of Fires...where the legendary Blade of Xerxes lies...the only blade capable of delivering Arcanum from the hands of evil demon, L'anamelach. For without it, the demon will simply escape the confines of its dead host and wreak more havoc into this world.

seb.jpg
So, did you read the book.
me.jpg
Quite...
seb.jpg
What's it say?
05.jpg

me.jpg
Classic tale of powerful people messing with the wrong magic....
seb.jpg
And?
06.jpg

me.jpg
Shit happens.
seb.jpg
Wonder what's the blade of Xerxes look like...
me.jpg
Must be something big...worth the risk, prolly...
seb.jpg
Looks like we're here...hmm. There's a camp at the entrance. Doesn't look hostile...

07.jpg

me.jpg
Pray tell, who are you?
knight.jpg
I am Jyheirad! Noble warrior from Flame Keep! These are my brave companions, Moorawynd, R'yn-Diak and Frondo! Who might you be?
me.jpg
I am known as Alain Gilford.
geoff.jpg
Geoffrey Tallerond-Ashe, mage of epic powers, at your service...
me.jpg
Yeah...nobody cares, Geoffrey.
knight.jpg
Pray tell, what is your quest? Are you here to recover the Blade of Xerxes?
me.jpg
Yes, as a matter of fact, I am.
knight.jpg
We too, are here for that same purpose! We have been sent by Baron Sug himself to retrieve the Blade! A sizable fortune awaits our successful return.
me.jpg
I am here for a much more noble purpose than coin...
knight.jpg
*He seems impressed* Truthfully? And what might that be.
me.jpg
I need the blade to kill a heinous demon.
knight.jpg
A lowly demon?! Hah! There are many ways to kill a demon, my friend! The fortune we stand to gain is not easily dismissed by your need for a quick way to dispatch a demon!
me.jpg
(Guess I need more dramatization if I want to convince this bucket head...) A whole city is being held captive by this evil beast!
seb.jpg
Yes, indeed it has!
knight.jpg
Only a city? I thought you said this demon was threatening the very world?!
me.jpg
(Goodness...) The LARGEST city in the WORLD! And it already has destroyed others!
seb.jpg
Yes, Gilford saved me from the flaming ruins of uhhh - Boil Town!
knight.jpg
By the great god Bhuul! *He smacks his fist into his hand* What is the nature of this beast?
me.jpg
It prowls the night...feedinng on the hearts of its victims!
knight.jpg
*He thoughtfully strokes his chin.* And it grows in power after each killing?
me.jpg
Its preferred meal is the life force of small children!
knight.jpg
Gads! We must stop this beast, now! Damned be our measly fortunes! You wait here, we shall return with the blade!
me.jpg
May the gods be with you...

Many moments later, after the intrepid band of adventurers descend into the caves...

seb.jpg
Think they're dead?
me.jpg
Mmm. Five more minutes. Then we'll go get it ourselves.
geoff.jpg
I still don't see why we can't go down ourselves.
me.jpg
I'd avoid going down there if I could, flaming monsters...probably melt our swords and armor alike...best to leave it to others...oh look!

08.jpg

me.jpg
A thousand thanks, Jyheirad! Arcanum owes you for this noble deed!
seb.jpg
Wait, what? Are you sure THIS is the blade?
09.jpg

me.jpg
.....He has no reason to lie..surely. Let's go. I could sense magic in there...but it'd be hard to cut anyone with this. It's quite dull. Torian?
torian.jpg
I've regained most of lost my prowes...I am... ready. Master.
10.jpg

me.jpg
Let's go.

Later at Tarant's docks...
me.jpg
Did we forget anything?
seb.jpg
Almost forgot! You should check the census office for that Elmer Burbottom fellow...
me.jpg
Oh yeah, close call...wait here, Captain. We'll be back!

11.jpg

me.jpg
Mmmm. Tough luck. We've booked our passage to Caladon.
seb.jpg
Suppose there's no harm in dealing with the demon first...

Later at Caladon Police Station...

12.jpg

me.jpg
Now, what exactly are you paying me for this?
cap.jpg
Damned money hungry....! Luckily, I don't need to give you anything for it. The parents of one of the victims turned out to be a very wealthy society couple. They are offering a 2000 gold reward for 'bringing the killer to justice'. Now get out there and take care of this bleedin' thing.
me.jpg
At once, Inspector!
seb.jpg
Old sewers, eh? Sounds like fun.
me.jpg
Want to bet it's crawling with loads of undesirables?
seb.jpg
Definitely.
13.jpg

me.jpg
Here goes...
14.jpg

me.jpg
Swords at the ready. Remember Torian, when you spot the elf. Use the Blade.
torian.jpg
I am ready.
me.jpg
Ghost, sniff out that demon.
dog.jpg
Arf!

The party cut their way through the sewers unfriendly inhabitants, a menagerie of ghouls and other undesirables were slaughtered and several treasures recovered and finally...

15.jpg

me.jpg
You are Vincent, are you not? I am here to kill you.
elf.jpg
*He steadies himself against the wall.* I hope you..brought the blade...
me.jpg
Of course. Torian?
torian.jpg
*Draws the Blade of Xerxes.*
elf.jpg
*He ignores Alain as he doubles over in pain. After a few moments, he rights himself and stare into the distance.* I will try to keep the beast within until..the end...but you must hurry...I am weak...
me.jpg
I understand. Rest in peace, friend.
torian.jpg
Master?
me.jpg
Strike him cleanly. *Salutes at the elf.*

Torian did not hesitate, the blade seemed to disappear as his arms perform precise stabs at the elf's chest. Barely two thrusts later...the elf fell.

16.jpg

elf.jpg
Th- thank you...take what you wish from the chest....

me.jpg
Farewell, brave one.
geoff.jpg
That's it? I expected something more exciting...boo!
me.jpg
Huh...let's check out his chest.
17.jpg

me.jpg
Mmm. Nice. Very nice indeed. I think this staff is special. It's more powerful than my mage's staff...
seb.jpg
Not to mention the gems...and other pieces. Worth the trip, I'd say.
me.jpg
Let's report back to the Chief.

The party ascended, and the guards nodded as Gilford gave them instruction on the whereabouts of the elf's body.

18.jpg

me.jpg
It's been a pleasure.
cap.jpg
Don't spend it in one place...you'll be quite famous here in Caladon, sirs.
me.jpg
Thank you, Inspector. I guess we deserve a little break.
seb.jpg
Why yes, indeed...
geoff.jpg
To the taverns?
me.jpg
Why not?

The Whytechurch Murders was finally stopped thanks to the efforts of the Summoner. The elf wizard, Vincent was finally freed of his centuries of torment. L'enamelach shall plague Caladon no more. Yet the party can only afford a short rest for they still have a larger mystery to solve.

Next Chapter: Dark of the Elves

Kz3r0

Arcane
Judging by the model of the Xerxes' blade you are playing with a very old version of the UAP, if any at all.
By the way, if you had fought your way in the pit of fire instead of rely on Jyheirad's help you could have looted their corpses.

RK47

Patron
Kz3r0 said:
Judging by the model of the Xerxes' blade you are playing with a very old version of the UAP, if any at all.
By the way, if you had fought your way in the pit of fire instead of rely on Jyheirad's help you could have looted their corpses.

Any link to the latest UAP. If I download and install it, will it break my save game?

Kz3r0

Arcane
RK47 said:
Kz3r0 said:

Any link to the latest UAP. If I download and install it, will it break my save game?
http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/ ... 091225.exe

But probably you will get issues with your saves.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can we buy the rights to the game, fill it with RK47's dialogue, and sell it again? <3

Lindblum

Augur
Yes it says that the newest UAP will not work too well with any old versions...

But stat wise the Blade of Xerces is stronger if you have the adventurers get it for you.

Edit: Yay new page!

RK47

Patron
Time to reinstall and restart. Update in 2 weeks. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom