Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Siege III Demo for PC out on Steam

made

Arcane
Meh, steam. Guess I'll just wait for the proper demo to hit torrents and keep playing Divinity 1 for now.

Dezzy

Novice
I think it looks like a decent co-op game for wife and I. I wish we could disable that bloom though!

My monitor is 16:10 1920x1200, but it's forced 16:9 so it gets black bars.

Got my PC plugged into a big 1080p tv via HDMI so, I'm happy to see this supports same screen co-op with multiple controllers, and without black bars! So that easily makes PC>Xbox version.

JrK

Prophet
Played it again. Chose the fighter this time, found him much more enjoyable. Also, disabled Camera Auto-orient or somesuch, camera much more bearable.

Should be awesome to coop, since the combat can be quite hard if you don't use your abilities/blocking/dodging well.

Archibald

Arcane
Should be awesome to coop, since the combat can be quite hard if you don't use your abilities/blocking/dodging well.

If you`ll play with one hand maybe it`ll be even harder.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Prestigious impressions:

Let's start with stuff that sucks:

1. THE CAMERA, OH GOD THE CAMERA.

2. Why is the whole game so blurry? Might be because of the bloom, but the point is, that after playing through the demo I got a massive fucking headache from the blurriness.

3. Fucking animated menus are horrible to navigate through and take too much time to bring up.

Stuff that's ehhh:

1. Character system seems primitive, but functional.

2. Combat at first seems wonky, but you can grow used to it. Same goes for controls.

3. It looks lulzy when people stop talking to you, move aside out of vision and DISAPPEAR

4. The demo areas seem to be long-ass corridors, but I stumbled upon a couple of locked doors, so maybe, just maybe, it's gonna be something more than just a corridor slasher. Still, lack of secret areas that were awesum in DS1 sucks.

Stuff that's gud:

1. Music. I really liked the music.

2. Combat. Seems like a clusterfuck at first, but once you get the hang of it, it can be p. cool, although what kinda sucks is that rollin' around is, once again, the remedy to all your problems. It also kinda blows that it follows the trend of 'TWO-HANDER = SLOW BUT ATTACKS MULTIPLE ENEMIES, LOLOLO' which is dum. Played on highest difficulty, and the last fight against the uberwitch was actually challenging.

3. Stability/performance - apart from the general blurriness, the game runs completely flawlessly and doesn't crash at max settings. Didn't notice any bugs, either.

I guess I'll give it an extended demo when it comes out because there's potential in this game. I just hope it sorta opens up later or, at least, doesn't turn to utter shit.

It's better than 2witcher :smug:

FatCat

Educated
Jesus what a piece of shit this game is..
Art direction sucks
Design in general sucks
Visuals suck
Story from what you can see sucks
Combat worse than Witcher 1
Music seems fine , but that's about it.

DA2 > DS3 any fucking day of the week.This PoS almost archives Arcania like shittiness.

Angthoron

Arcane
Played til the Stronhold place thingy, will play more later and see if impressions change but so far:

* Voice acting is tolerable, it's not stellar, but it's not Mr. Meer either. Some of the VAs actually try to display some emotions in their voice.

* Music is, as Darth Roxor said, very good. If nothing else, I'll want the music from this thing.

* Graphics, don't know why people are complaining, maybe stop playing on piece of shit machines? It's good for what it is, though Witcher 2 on full settings it is not. Can't judge about environments or design much yet as I've only seen the "intro" areas.

* Camera: Is traditionally shit. In fact, during the first "named" opponent fight on the bridge, it bugged up and kept spinning, which really fucked things up a bit. Letterbox screen format and bad angle aren't helping.

* Combat: Played Lucas, it works like ARPG of its kind should work, you click, sword is swung, occasional crit lands.

* Writing/story/premise: If I understand correctly, previous game's hero becomes the villain? If so, nice take on Diablo - Diablo 2 transition. Nothing stellar, but does the job well enough. Plus there's the lore books I've not read much yet that seem lengthy enough. Fucking Dialogue Wheel though.

* Dialogue: Fucking dialogue wheel.

* Engine: Not bad considering Obsidian's track record, smooth enough, no sudden slowdowns unlike their previous works.

* Character system works. Is simple. *shrug* What more to say.

Mind, these are just impressions of part of the demo, but so far, it's not really as bad as some folk say it to be.

And to those having issues with slow DLs from Steam - try switching to a different server. My DL completed in 20 minutes.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LIKE WHAT I WROTE IN THE CONSOLE THREAD THE ACTION SEEMS OKAY BUT THE WORLD SEEMED ALL LINEAR AND SHIT

I WILL HAVE TO WAIT FROM TRUSTED BROS TO SEE IF I EVER WANT TO BUY THIS THE DEMO MAKES IT HARD TO GET A FEEL FOR THE GAME WITH THE INSTA RESPAWN

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Demo impressions:

Graphics: the enviroments are gorgeous, but the charactermodells are quite meeh.
Sound: music is good, VA is decent
Story: could be interesting, but you can't tell it from the demo
Gameplay: a good hack and slash, but I think a gamepad is recommended to be truly enjoyable. K+M is decent but not the best. I died several times with k+m just because the character didn't do what I wanted. Character development is decent.
Camera: Kind of sucks, I hope it will be better with gamepad.

All in all it seems it will be an enjoyable game, but far from Obsidians best. I hope they raise some money with this title and start making a great cRPG.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Crossposting

Obsidian destroyed glorious Dungeon Siege Franchise. This thread proves it.
The DS were very distinct among the arpg's back then. Had a pretty unique character/group system, well developed game world, excellent online, and was developed by a very well known developer. Chris Taylor is also a very well known game designer and back then it was definitely well known he was involved in the game.

Most gamers who played video games around that time know well of the DS series...some random game isn't a good way to describe them at all. I know you would like to believe that because of your loyalty to Obsidian, but's it's just not true.

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=57534

Dungeon Siege Fans are very angry at Obsidian. Chris Taylor (GasPoweredGames) better than Avellone and Ziets.

:retarded:

made

Arcane
Peeps on OE forum say it's linear as fuck with corridor-like maps. How bad is it?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh yeah, btw VA - the bwitish actors trying to imitate potatospeak were amusing to say the least. Especially how they tried speaking the 'hard' way, but at the same time spelt 'ou' as 'eu', if you get my drift.

Peeps on OE forum say it's linear as fuck with corridor-like maps. How bad is it?

Demo map looks like it, yeah, but there are a couple of locked doors with 'LOLOLO NOT AVAILABLE IN DEMO' that seem to be sidequests, so maybe that changes slightly in the full version.

Arlborn

Novice
The main thing that made DS1 and DS2 fun enough to play for a while was the party combat and they just took it off?

Eh, I will play the demo but not hoping for much.

EDIT: Someone just said they didn't. So, did they or didn't they?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You still get companions, but I'm not entirely sure how they work. A companion is introduced at the very end, when you have nothing left to fight, really, and I'm not sure if they aren't AI-controlled. Still, you control their character progression/gear and stuff. AND THERE'S COMPANION INFLUENCE!!11

Seolas

Liturgist
Just played it. Extreme popamole, horrible controls, horrible camera, boring gameplay, voice acting straight from a budget game. Franchise dead.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sup

oasqwj.jpg

Deleted member 7219

Downloaded, played, looks awful, camera is awful, UI is awful, animations are awful, environments look awful, combat is awful.

Boring, shit, banal etc.

Let's hope Obsidian don't die as a company so Bethesda will let them do Fallout 4. New Vegas was a masterpiece of a game and they need to make more of that quality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom